Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #1681
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6WGN View Post
Thinking of getting an Airbrush kit for my wife who does cake decorating - type in "Air Brush Kits - Adelaide" into google and why do I get a list of sites in Sydney, Queensland etc???

Why is it so hard to search for one thing on the WWW???
i have a feeling that by typing the - before adelaide you actually tell google to remove adelaide from the results.. if you just type "air brush kit adelaide" you would get results you are after.

i did read a page with a heap of google "power seach" tips listed which included the - symbol. i used it the other day, i needed stirrups for building but kept getting horse riding related answers so by inserting " - horse" i could get the building related answers i wanted
Old 26-12-2014, 12:35 AM   #1682
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

The way Seppo term "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas is slowly creeping into our language/society.
Old 26-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #1683
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
The way Seppo term "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas is slowly creeping into our language/society.
Add 'Seasons Greetings' to that... I can sorta understand why someone can say Happy Holidays, but WTF is seasons greetings meant to mean?.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #1684
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Add 'Seasons Greetings' to that... I can sorta understand why someone can say Happy Holidays, but WTF is seasons greetings meant to mean?.....
I've spoken to a few 'Murricans and they don't like Happy Holidays either.

Apparently it's to sooth the minority groups who don't celebrate Christmas !
Old 27-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #1685
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I've spoken to a few 'Murricans and they don't like Happy Holidays either.

Apparently it's to sooth the minority groups who don't celebrate Christmas !
I make a point of saying "Merry Christmas" to everyone, particularly if they look as though they don't celebrate it.

How can you take offence at someone wishing you well?

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #1686
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
I make a point of saying "Merry Christmas" to everyone, particularly if they look as though they don't celebrate it.

How can you take offence at someone wishing you well?
I said it to a delivery driver who came to the shop on Wednesday and he wasn't too impressed. I didn't even think anything of it about "being different".

Oh well, if saying Merry Christmas to you offends you, you probably don't want to spend 5 minutes with me in the lunch room listening to me carry on about anything.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #1687
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People that tail-gate Learner-Drivers.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #1688
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

People that tailgate full stop.

If you're within 2 car lengths for more time than it takes to get clear road to overtake then you're tailgating. BACK THE F#*K UP!

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2014, 11:10 AM   #1689
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True that.

Last edited by CoupeKing; 28-12-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 28-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #1690
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try that towing a van, trucks tailgate for miles and miles expecting you to get off the road for them to pass.

unhook the van and follow a truck in just a motor vehicle, how often do they "pull over" to let a trail of vehicles go past.

we need more duel lane highways.....Especially between Port Wakefield to Port Augusta and the Hume, bloody truckies are ridiculous out there.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #1691
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, as much as I appreciate truckies, there's nothing worse than looking in your rearview mirror and seeing the word ''Volvo'' spelt backwards.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #1692
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
Try that towing a van, trucks tailgate for miles and miles expecting you to get off the road for them to pass.

unhook the van and follow a truck in just a motor vehicle, how often do they "pull over" to let a trail of vehicles go past.

we need more duel lane highways.....Especially between Port Wakefield to Port Augusta and the Hume, bloody truckies are ridiculous out there.
The Hume? It is duplicated all the way.

If the best you can do is travel slower than the rest of the traffic wants to, it is your job to get out of the way (any cyclists reading???).

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #1693
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah! cross out Hume and insert Dukes......(too much travelling lately) the rest of the traffic are fine, the trucks need to learn to share.

coupe king it would be good if I could see the name of the truck, most of the time it's just a chrome grill and part of the bullbar.

funny how they won't get off to alleviate the buildup behind them but expect us caravans to get out of their way.

if, in your words "if the best you can do is travel slower than the rest of the traffic wants to" then where does this leave those trucks???.....far slower than almost any other vehicle on the road, a lot of caravans included.

time we got the one width rail system and get most of these off the road.

off to Darwin shortly, be happy to get back amongst the good blokes in their road trains, these single semis are killers.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 28-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #1694
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're within 2 car lengths for more time than it takes to get clear road to overtake then you're tailgating

Decent railway iron bumper and tow bar tongue usually fixes that, it did in the past anyway

we need more duel lane highways.....Especially between Port Wakefield to Port Augusta and
I hear you man, return trip every 2 weeks Iam getting over it and those nongs who travel by their speedo that always run faster than actually going grrrr get off the road Iam coming through, GPS on full tack
Old 28-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #1695
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
If you're within 2 car lengths for more time than it takes to get clear road to overtake then you're tailgating.
Hmm, I've always figured that if you can still see his numberplate then you're not tailgating.........yet
Old 28-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #1696
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

It's all relative Gaso, at 50 or 60kph 2 car lengths is as close as you'd want to be. At 100kph+ 2 car lengths IS tailgating. If You're that close behind me at that speed and I stand on the piks, you're inside my boot before you have time to react.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #1697
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

90% of people tailgate because people are NOT doing the speed limit
the other 10% are dicks who well, are dicks

do the speed limit and 90% of the time you wont get tailgated
at a rough guess
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #1698
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
90% of people tailgate because people are NOT doing the speed limit
the other 10% are dicks who well, are dicks

at a rough guess

all well and good but if, like me, you are governed by legislation and safety, albeit through vehicle manufacture or state and federal law, when towing a given load, in my case in excess of 1850 kilograms, I CAN NOT LEGALLY exceed 90kph.

I set my cruise control at that speed.

this does not give the trucking industry carte blanch to tailgate (the lesser of the two evils) or cut me off because I held them up for a precious few minutes or travel in convoy of 3 semi's, nose to tail, then refuse to break even on the end of overtaking lanes, thus forcing myself and my wife off the road simply because they didn't want to slow down that little bit.

I would be more than happy to "do the speed limit" if it was safe and legal to do so, truth is it is not and I am not allowed to.

The trucks simply HAVE to learn to share the road, which, thankfully, most do, but the few idiot cowboys who don't, need to get the hell out of the industry.

these simpletons are nothing more than feral hoons on 18 wheels.

2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #1699
Matty4
Banana

I'm curious............why can't you legally exceed 90km/h towing a caravan in SA?
Old 29-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #1700
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
I'm curious............why can't you legally exceed 90km/h towing a caravan in SA?
That is the maximum speed I can attain According to my Ford manual with 1850 Kgm's (I'm a bit heavier than that but without a weighbridge it's a bit hard to prove).

in my owners manual it is a sliding scale, heavier the towed component the slower the allowed tow speed.

If you are towing it would pay to keep an eye on your allowable speed to weight, had a couple pulled up down the south east with large vans last month.

Old 31-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #1701
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what is it with light globes these days, used to be you'd buy a light bulb and hand it down through the generations.

now I seem to be replacing them at least once a year, even these "you beaut" LED, lcd or Ocd or whatever the hell they are.

4 in the last two days, always "after hours" when everything is shut and we used the last one.

2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2014, 12:10 PM   #1702
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Poppa, it's called 'planned obsolescence'.

by making you replace frequently it 'forces' you to be up to date with modern technology.

your light bulb may be a good example; imagine if the older style lasted for years, then you would not be obligated to buy the new, environmentally friendly style. Where would the next generation (or two) be then?

the argument is that the running cost of the older style exceeds the replacement and running costs of the new type.

is it annoying? yes, but I think the 'logic' behind it is okay.

please note, none of what I posted is valid for motor cars; there is another factor to consider, the 'charm' factor, no one I know has ever looked at my light bulbs, and said "I like the look of the classics" etc
thefargo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #1703
Spurious

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
at a rough guess
LMAO...seems to be a hell of a lot of 10%'ers following me, & it doesn't matter how fast I go it's never enough for them!

Having said that, I LOVE corners. Unless your Kia can corner like a boss, seeya!!!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2015, 12:38 AM   #1704
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate the morons who put HID globes into 20 year old cars that were never designed for them.
Yes, that's my high beam you copped because you're blinding the **** out of every oncoming car, and I needed it to see ahead on my side of the road.

Someday I reckon someone will take a shotgun to those headlights.....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2015, 01:34 AM   #1705
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez i hate that !!!
new years night, we seem to have every mad fireworks dude in our neck of the woods, maybe im an old fuddy duddy ..... dont answer that ,
but for me the new year is well and truly in by 2 or 3 in the morning ..... tossers will still be firing off explosives in the early hours, i felt the need after last year to douse the whole house/garden with the hose.
One of the locals last year had some particularly powerful fireworks going off in amongst houses, with one of the rockets still sparking landing across the road on my neighbors roof, luckily it didnt catch.

im all for bringing in the new year but a bit of common sense among some wouldn't go astray.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #1706
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah! Mik, I hear ya!......some drongo was letting off cheap fireworks and flares just down from us, the red parachute kind (if there are different ones), drift for a long time.

they were drifting over the houses, over the road and into and onto other folks homes, seen a couple of fire units fly by, the consequences were obvious but not to some halfwits.

anyone know of an easy way to pack up chrissy lights??.......I always end up with a big ball of frustration......just finished pulling ours down.

every year the lights grow in number and my anger expands at around the same rate.

4 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #1707
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

I wrap our lights around a foot long bit of cardboard. If they're the spikey type glad wrap aswell

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #1708
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I hate when you get a full diff rebuild only to take it back 4 months later because of an axle seal leak, then on top of that less than a month later the diff its whining......Geez I hate that.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #1709
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Poppa Smurf...
go find friendly electrician, get a small plastic cable drum ( about 100-150 mm diameter) wrap ya lights around the glad wrap as Marquis also suggested. the drums have small holes each end where you can put the start/finish ends through. Been doing it for about 5 years.
re ya neighbours stupidity, find the biggest banger you can and after all their fireworks have finished and everything is quiet, remove their letterbox with said banger.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #1710
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wasn't my neighbour, the fool was a street over and a couple houses up.....

back a while ago we had a spate of soda bottle letter box bombs.....scares the crap out of ya at 3 in the morning, the little darlings, love to get hold of them and give them a boot in the freckle

R.E. the plastic drum......good idea, I reckon I know a sparky who owes me a coupla three.