Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
ilikefords
Starter Motor

Angry Dodgy Ticket - Whats ur opinion?

Heya,
Had a run in with my ol mate mr plod the other day, needless to say I'll be seeing them in court! I'm just wondering what you all think or maybe if you have some advice as to what I could too it would be much appreciated!

I was driving to a friends place and pulled up on the side of the road to park, past the white line. As I went to get out of the car I noticed that I had parked in a bus stop, so I took off my seatbelt, put the car into reverse and turned around to see where i was going. Some random clown was driving along the road and got on his horn, which startled me and made my foot slip off the brake for a second, during which time the car rolled foward by 1/2 a car length. Behind the loony with the horn was a cop, who saw me rolling foward with no belt and hit me up for 3 points and $225.

Does anyone else think this is bull@#$&? Would I have a leg to stand on in court? What do you all reckon?

Thanks
Brenden
ilikefords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

umm im not too sure as it would prolly be his word against urs

you could try but im not too sure you would be succesful, just drag it out for as long as possible :P

5 bucks a month sound aight to you :P lol

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #3
chippa6
Novice Professional

bit of an unfortunate situation I wouldn't push it to take it to court. wear it on the chin, we've all had to at some point or another.
But, make sure you learn from it. just keep your seatbelt on all the time and this wont happen to you again.

Cheers
Chippa
Old 09-02-2005, 10:18 PM   #4
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That sucks mate, did you explain this to the cop? Defenetly take it to court, however as champsky said its probably going to be your word against his.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #5
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you were in forward motion without a seat belt ... unless you lie you cannot win. Maybe it's not really fair as such.... but them's the breaks.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just be thankful that car didnt rear end you while you had your seatbelt off....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #7
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Did you have your car in revese gear at the time? If so than fight it, if not you will just have to try write a nice letter who knowns they mite let you off if you been a good boy. If they don't than take it on the chin.

Last edited by AUIII XR8 MAN; 09-02-2005 at 10:52 PM.
AUIII XR8 MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 10:52 PM   #8
Kryton

you dont have a hope in hell. you were in the drivers seat of a moving car WITH the engine running and you werent wearing a seatbelt. so tell me again what defense were you going to use?
take it like a man and pay the fine. you have no one to blame but yourself.
if you were startled by someones horn, its time you hand your license in...seriously.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 01:56 AM   #9
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

One things for sure, its outrageous and youre copping an unfair punch.

Heres a good tip: Dont get your legal advice from the net. Too many varied opinions so theres really no hard answers.

Just ring a solicitor experienced in traffic infringements and ask for advice and an idea of success. Many good ones will do this for free.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 02:14 AM   #10
Jaeger
Getting There

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
you dont have a hope in hell. you were in the drivers seat of a moving car WITH the engine running and you werent wearing a seatbelt. so tell me again what defense were you going to use?
take it like a man and pay the fine. you have no one to blame but yourself.
if you were startled by someones horn, its time you hand your license in...seriously.
You do know that it is legal to move a car in reverse with your seatbelt off????

Last edited by Jaeger; 10-02-2005 at 02:16 AM.
Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 08:59 AM   #11
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger
You do know that it is legal to move a car in reverse with your seatbelt off????
This is fact but why would you?

Reversing is easily done with belt on. If you hit hard my anothe car you will be thrown in the cabin. If you move forward you will be fined.

Bendan, as you have no leg to stand on, don't waste ya time.

Fact: You were moving forward without a seatbelt.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 09:43 AM   #12
MAD
Petro-sexual

I thought there were rules in place that say you can drive your car in a forward direction without the seatbelt as long as you dont go over a certain speed? Like postie truck drivers, cause of the constant stopping.
I've heard this somewhere, but stuffed if I can remember where....if it is wrong, you'd have a very small chance as its just your word over his, and from memory vicpol were given extra rights not all that long ago so his word is worth a lot more than yours.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:47 AM   #13
MAD
Petro-sexual

Found it!!!

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...nloads/p16.pdf

Scroll down to 267 - Exemptions from wearing seatbelts on page 4

Quote:
(2) A person in or on a motor vehicle is exempt from wearing a
seatbelt if:
(a) the person is engaged in the door-to-door delivery or
collection of goods, or in the collection of waste or
garbage, and is required to get in or out of the vehicle, or
on or off the vehicle, at frequent intervals; and
(b) the vehicle is not travelling over 25 kilometres per hour.
I knew I had seen it somewhere, but its still no help to you as part(b) is an "and" to part(a)

Last edited by MAD; 10-02-2005 at 09:49 AM.
MAD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:25 PM   #14
ilikefords
Starter Motor

Thanks for all ur suggestions, definetly varied!! Davway you sound like a pretty nice bloke :thebirds:

I did try explaining to the cop that I wasnt intending the drive so much as accidently rolling foward. Yeah, yeah I know its still foward motion and the belt was off, but I guess I thought I might have got the one nice cop in queensland (no luck).
When he wouldnt budge I asked him to explain the court procedure and he just said "read on the back" then walked off, I had a quick read then called to him that I didnt understand the ticket he'd just given me and I'd like some help with it, to which he came right back to the car, leaned in the window right in my face and informed me that I would probably never understand it so why should he bother.
Then he walked away again, so I told him how I thought he was really nice, and that I was so glad I could help him fill his quota, so he breathalized me.

Are cops required to explain the ticket? Do you have to have a seatbelt on while parking? Does anyone have any experience with bribing a jury? :P

Thanks
B
ilikefords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:37 PM   #15
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I thought being in a car, sitting in the drivers seat, with the keys in the ignition was deemed as being in control of a vehicle (wether vehicle is strarted or not), and hence i think you are stuffed, I understand you can get DUI from the above conditions.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 12:43 PM   #16
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Brenden, honestly, I wouldn't bother. Unfortunately, you were caught in a forward motion with no seat belt on. Unless you are a delivery driver, you don't have a leg to stand on. Hell, my local postie has to wear his belt. And yes, he does drive a Falcon to do deliveries of mail, the little post bikes don't have the guts to get around where I live. He has to stop at each mailbox and stick mail in the box, then drive to the next place and so on and so on.

Just wait til it's due then pay the mother canucker.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #17
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADXF
Found it!!!

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...nloads/p16.pdf

Scroll down to 267 - Exemptions from wearing seatbelts on page 4

I knew I had seen it somewhere, but its still no help to you as part(b) is an "and" to part(a)
This is in NSW not Vic. I stand corrected, I found this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRoads
Seat belts do not need to be worn when:
driving a motor vehicle in reverse, and where
a person is engaged in door to door delivery or collection of goods, or the collection of waste or garbage, and is required to get in or out/or off and on the vehicle at frequent intervals and is travelling in a motor vehicle at a speed that does not exceed 25 kph.
I used to work for a bakery and us drivers always got done for no belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
I thought being in a car, sitting in the drivers seat, with the keys in the ignition was deemed as being in control of a vehicle (wether vehicle is strarted or not), and hence i think you are stuffed, I understand you can get DUI from the above conditions.
Yup this is it.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe

Last edited by LTDHO; 10-02-2005 at 02:04 PM. Reason: New information found
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 03:30 PM   #18
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikefords
Davway you sound like a pretty nice bloke :thebirds:

yeah thanks, i try to be. :hihi: just getting really sick of people that think they can contest any ticket they get and have any chance of doing it. the facts were simple and you should have known better. nothing you can do about it except to learn from it. the consequences could have been alot worse so just be grateful that you got a fine and some points taken off you.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #19
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Hrm, I never knew of those *exceptions*!

Might not test the theory out though, methinks I'll avoid doing laps around the cop station at 20kph :

Best of luck with the ticket situation.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 08:15 PM   #20
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L

Might not test the theory out though, methinks I'll avoid doing laps around the cop station at 20kph :

those 'exceptions' do not apply to you, me, or the daily commuter. they directly apply to the as mentioned delivery driver, rubbish collection and things like that, that require repeated stops in a short distance.....for their JOB.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:27 PM   #21
MAD
Petro-sexual

And ONLY if they stay under 25kmh
Old 10-02-2005, 09:35 PM   #22
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

and street sweeper drivers
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 10:00 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Perhaps a little late:-

yes it is legally 'ok' to take your seatbelt off whilst reversing, or if yuore doing a lot of deliveries etc. I think taxi drivers are also exempt from wearing them, or at one point they used to be anyway.

However, i wouldnt not test this. In your case, id say its just bloody bad luck, but thats how it is - you were going forward, and constable plod happened to be in the right place at the right time as they sometimes are. A little unfair perhaps to give you a ticket (a warning would suffice im sure), but thats their job.
If for example you were a courier, you'd still be expected to have the seatbelt on when not making a lot of deliveries in a row (i.e. driving from one side of town to another).
Old 10-02-2005, 10:04 PM   #24
live_1991

Quote:
Legislative exemptions
Seat belts do not need to be worn when:
driving a motor vehicle in reverse, and where
a person is engaged in door to door delivery or collection of goods, or the collection of waste or garbage, and is required to get in or out/or off and on the vehicle at frequent intervals and is travelling in a motor vehicle at a speed that does not exceed 25 kph.

:( dam

but hey you were going door to door ;)

Last edited by live_1991; 10-02-2005 at 10:07 PM.
live_1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2005, 08:38 AM   #25
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L

There is another exception you may be unaware of, Sorry this still aint gunna help. but A taxi driver does not have to wear a seat belt by law either. (Funny story) A taxi driver I know got pulled up for smoking in his taxi ($60 fine for that) To which he stated to the cop, his hail light was not on, he was in civic clothing and he was taking his taxi to the car wash, the cop noticed he was not wearing his seat belt and said "Oh in that case there is no problem with you smoking as you were using it as a private car at this time" Then the cop wrote the ticket out for the seat belt infringment $120.00 fine. LOL...the taxi driver I know now knows to keep his mouth shut.
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post