Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Tailshaft Compatibility

Hi guys,

I may need to change my tail shaft (funny vibrations at highway speeds - vibes felt in transmission tunnel).

Both the auto trans guy and my mechanic suggested changing one over to see if the vibes cease. Both blokes also agree that it's not wheel bearing noise, OR transmission vibes, OR diff related.

The trans guy suggested using an EF/EL one as they are much more robust. This is because I changed the shaft late last year, but some of the vibes persisted.

Do they change straight over? My understanding is that they do, but the EF/EL ones are heavier and more robust. Will using a heavier shaft have any adverse consequences on the other drivetrain components?

Just in case, my mechanic is bringing 2, one E series and an AU one, just to be sure.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers everyone.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what condition are the uni joints in? around what speeds do you get these vibrations? i know you say highway speeds, but 100, 110? also, what revs is the car doing?

It can be determined if it's a driveshaft problem or something else a bit easier this way....find out what revs it's at when the problem starts, then stop the car, put it in first and speed up to the same revs, same with second and so on, if the vibe is still evident at the revs it's not a driveshaft problem as in the lower gears it's spinning faster than at highway speed in overdrive
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
what condition are the uni joints in? around what speeds do you get these vibrations? i know you say highway speeds, but 100, 110? also, what revs is the car doing?

It can be determined if it's a driveshaft problem or something else a bit easier this way....find out what revs it's at when the problem starts, then stop the car, put it in first and speed up to the same revs, same with second and so on, if the vibe is still evident at the revs it's not a driveshaft problem as in the lower gears it's spinning faster than at highway speed in overdrive
Uni joints are ok.

Vibrations occur at around 96ish kays.

Car is doing about 1600ish revs.

I've already done the test you're referring to.

Now I've answered your questions, will you answer mine? LOL!

Is the tailshaft compatible? :

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 16-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im not sure if it would be long enough....then again if an auto from an ef/el can fit no probs into an au, and vice versa, then it may just work... from readings on here the manual boxes are shorter, but im pretty sure the auto's should be the same length...i'll have a look and see what i come up with
Old 16-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one more question gk, wagon or sedan that's playing up?
Old 16-10-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another post lol, it's looking like they should be the same, as far as fitting goes anyway, the same part numbers are showing up in au and el in the parts database, the other thing you may want to check, im sure the tranny guy and mechanic will anyway, is the number of splines on the trans and the driveshaft, as far as length goes i'm pretty sure it has a bit that can hang out the back of the box anyway...

so from what i can see, as far as length goes you should be ok, just the splines is all i'd probably really worry about...
Old 16-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
blackxr1ute
Starter Motor

Default tailshaft issues (vibrations)

gday buddy

i have a series one au xr8 ute and i have had some issues with vibrations.
Now when i bought the ute 2nd hand it had 75 000kms on it and it has a modified setup. IT was a 2 piece tailshaft from a commodore with a centre mount welded in the tunnel. When i realised, this i rang the original owner and he said he changed it due to vibrations at higher speeds. Now just recently i have changed the set up and got a new tailshaft through ford (alum) for free through a mate. it turns out that it didnt fit anyway as it was for the auto, not the manual. It was about 2'' too long.
I couldnt find anyone to shorten and weld the tailshaft, scared of tig welding i guess. So i got a steel one made for $500 through a mob in condell park and it has turned out good now, no vibrations
any questions just email me on mrphantom6@hotmail.com
blackxr1ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
one more question gk, wagon or sedan that's playing up?
Sedan.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 16-10-2006, 10:53 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
so from what i can see, as far as length goes you should be ok, just the splines is all i'd probably really worry about...
Thanks for that!

If it's the same part number in the database, it should be ok I'd think!

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 18-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #10
skap

Are you sure its not brake shudder?
skap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 08:40 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skap
Are you sure its not brake shudder?
New discs and pads all round, was making the noise before and after they were changed.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 18-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has the tail shaft been off for any reason recently?
had any kangas,wombats,dogs, or humans bouncing up against the tail shaft recently? :dr_Evil: ,sorry had too ask,..... had anything done to your baby just before the vibes occured?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
has the tail shaft been off for any reason recently?
had any kangas,wombats,dogs, or humans bouncing up against the tail shaft recently? :dr_Evil: ,sorry had too ask,..... had anything done to your baby just before the vibes occured?
First tailshaft was moving up and down really bad. It was replaced and much of the vibes were gone, but at 90-96ish they remained.

I can't recall hitting anything but you never know. They are very light and don't take much to bend I know.

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 19-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #14
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you had any luck getting an e series one tried yet?
Old 19-10-2006, 08:44 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
have you had any luck getting an e series one tried yet?
G'day bodes, hopefully tomorrow all will be solved! I haven't got the call from the mechanic yet, but I'm hopeful he'll be switching the tailshaft over tomorrow.

I'm still a little concerned about the extra weight of the EF/EL unit doing damage, but I'm sure he'll advise me on that. In any case, I think he's got an AU unit as well.

I really should get him to change the uni's while he's at it. Couldn't hurt IMO!

Let you all know tomorrow, hopefully!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 19-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #16
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can't see the weight affecting it that much, i can't see any of the other components being made any weaker between e series and au...i think all the weight might affect is your quarter time lol...good luck anyway, i hope it all goes well
Old 20-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if its a replacement tail shaft from a wrecker they can get banged around enem newey have been known to get dropped on occasions , or dropped by mechanic might need a balance , diff pinion ok??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 12:37 AM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if its a replacement tail shaft from a wrecker they can get banged around enem newey have been known to get dropped on occasions , or dropped by mechanic might need a balance , diff pinion ok??
I'll ask about that, cheers.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG