Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Richo86
Starter Motor

Default 2.5" exhaust on an Auto?

I was wondering who has done this and what they thought of the results. I'm considering upgrading the exhaust on my auto Fairmont (didn't have a manual to learn in! : ) but if others have found that it SOUNDS pretty pathetic/try hard (i.e. gear changes, etc) then I'll probably hold off. I'm not TOO fussed about performance as it's just an auto, but I'm hopeful of getting a half decent sound from a 2.5" if possible

I plan on converting the tranny to manual as a future project, but I'm also considering the option of starting to save for an XR8, although I'm on my P's for a few more years so it'd be a while before I could drive one.

Either way, I wanna be able to have a bit of fun with the Fairmont until I'm ready to drop a manual tranny in/sell it and buy an XR8.

Cheers in advance for any advice/opinions.

Richo86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Lots of us have done it (but make sure you get mandrel bent, not press bent). It's a great upgrade, both in terms of more noise (how much more depends on what and how many mufflers you use), and a bit more poke.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

I got 1 hotdog, 1 muffler. Nice burble at idle, bit droany on the motorway at first...

My advice, save up for an 8 :sm_drool: like me
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

yeah i had mine put in earlier this year. Good sound, with one muffler just before the tip. though gets a bit droany on longer trips, that where the stereo comes in!
Old 19-10-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

got a 2.5" cat back on my fairmont. one muffler, one hot dog. sounds pretty good.

iver perfected my driving style, so i can make it sound like a manual on the shift between 1 and 2 LOL
Old 19-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

lol yer gas off when you change to second sounds like a manual.
mines not an au but its still a 6 auto. worst comes to worst shift kit it :P no more evil NEEOooooh sound on gear change

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

If you really need the shifting sound that much, buy a manual.

Autos sound fine with exhausts.
Old 20-10-2006, 01:12 AM   #8
Richo86
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
If you really need the shifting sound that much, buy a manual.

Autos sound fine with exhausts.
I never said I 'needed' the shifting sound, I just wanted to know if there was a significant difference between the sounds of an auto and a manual. I wouldn't know to be honest, hence this thread ;) Also, I just wanted some feedback/reviews before I made the decision to upgrade.

Thanks to all who gave their opinions and especially the nod of approval - I'll be getting my exhaust done next
Richo86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #9
Autocade

Richo 86
I replaced catback exhaust on Auto I6 with a 2.5 inch redback with 2 mufflers
IMO sounds OK & is not too loud or try hard (well within epa limits)
It does not drone and have gained a small increase in performance in the mid to high rev range
Cheers
Autocade
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #10
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine sounded ok when my car was auto imo. You get used to it and if you get a resonator it doesn't drone that much. I know mine never used to drone unless i had my foot on the pedal accelorating. Mind you it does sound a hell of a lot better with the manual :hihi:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
got a 2.5" cat back on my fairmont. one muffler, one hot dog. sounds pretty good.

iver perfected my driving style, so i can make it sound like a manual on the shift between 1 and 2 LOL
WANNABE! out:
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 01:01 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Manuals suck IMO. I had a manual corolla before the falc, and for the first six months or so it was great fun. for the next 2 years it was just tiresome. yes, maybe it was quicker than an auto. yes maybe you feel like your driving more. but they are just a plain pest after a while, just too much effort when a BTR auto is just so smooth and silky. Thats my opinion anyway.