Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
nfury8

Default NFURY8 panel shop NIGHTMARE

WHAT HAPPENED
I crashed Miss NFURY8 into a ditch.
No major panel damage, just scrapes and scratches, pulled ute out with a 4wd passer-by and nursed her home(drove)
Called insurance company... explained.

AND THEN
Ute picked up, all sorted off to assessment, assessed by THIS panel shop (not my prefered panel shop) assured all will be ok.

6 WEEKS LATER
Ute ready including extra repairs ordered by myself to be an almost complete respray (only roof and hard lid not sprayed)
Excited looked shiny and new, paid the excess and other CASH, drive away KING of the world.

AND THEN
Got home parked it ready to show the missus Miss NFURY8, sun out now and then... WTF is that on the front quarter panel Blotches, looked closer scratches, swirls oh SH11T.

I have a full list of alleged repairs from the panel shop the insurers are keen to see upon re-assessment day.(Apparently they normally just pay the bill sent to them)
Insurance company has been brilliant in every way so far and seem more than happy to rectify the situation.

DEFECT LIST SO FAR

LOOK AND SEE

NEW DAMAGE(done whilst at panel shop)
ROOF
New scratches on roof 1 on top, 1 above rear glass passenger side.
HARD LID
New scratches behind driver side.
New scratches at rear passenger side.

ALL PANELS RESPRAYED PANELS All except roof, tailgate and hardlid
Metallic blotches(under clear), sanding scratches in metallic finish, orange peel in metallic finish.
Entire spray job masked up to rubbers and other fixtures, resulting in unacceptable finish/coverage

FRONT and REAR BAR
Charged for replacement basr, but not replaced
Side mounts broken off from accident.
Front bumper should have been replaced, but has been badly plastic welded
Fog light drivers side, fell out as has broken casing.
Cracks at lower front grill either side.

ALL SKIRTS
Incorrectly fitted, incorrect adhesive used.
Rear drivers side lower side-skirt missing support brackets, huge gap between rear bar and skirt.

REAR QUARTER TUB
Not sprayed to liner lip
Masking tape fault top LHS.

FPV rims(3 refinished 1 replaced)
2 refinished rear rims damaged by tow truck.

INSIDE CABIN
SEATBELT
Drivers seatbelt now faulty, charged for but not replaced
DETAIL
Full detail charged for twice but got ute back filthy, mud in window seals, door skins still filthy, etc.
WINDOW TINT
Drivers side window tint scratched whilst retrieving vehicle(mud), not replaced.
DASH GAUGES
2 screw caps missing.

nfury8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
buggo
[BU66OS]

Mate that's really not acceptable. How can they call them selves profesionals and charge as such when I could do a neater job with a can of touch up from supercheap?
I'm glad your insurance company is keen to help you out, hopefully round 2 sees a painter that actually has some respect for your car and his reputation in the trade.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
nfury8

It was the more expensive quote around $8000 just appaling work really i just cant understand the type of peolpe that do this sort of thing.
Once i get the re-assessment ill be sending the results to the big insurance companies as they are approved by all, somehow. I would hate for others to have to experience this.
Old 29-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
Valid8
COOGES

Have I seen nfury8 around emerald?
Old 29-09-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
nfury8

sure have
Old 29-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

I seriously dont get it how panal shops can do this?
are they run by *******?
they musnt have any respect for cars if they botch the job.
Just depreciates my hope in humanity after hearing stories like this
Old 30-09-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
I could do a neater job with a can of touch up from supercheap?
good luck with that...

sucks they've stuffed you over, its hard to see the problems you are talking about in the pictures you posted though, would you mind posting them up through photobucket or otherwise?
Old 30-09-2010, 02:37 AM   #8
seduced_xr
BF XR6

not good, this just isnt good enough. unfortunately i fought for over a year to have the botched repairs on seduced xr fixed. ended up getting rid of it for the FG
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #9
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

This sucks i really hope your insurance comes through for you and you get it all redone.

If the panel shop can send out work like this on one car, how many others do they send back onto the road looking like ****?

How many cars do they send out with major structural damage bodged?
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shody work from panel beaters !!!
Unheard of

YES u would be surprised of some low quality work
Dont they have to go thru quality control to be eligible to be a prefered insurance repairer
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
ltd
Force Fed Fords

My mate had a new BA LTD a few years ago that was side swiped by a taxi. At the time it was only 6 months old. It was that dark silver colour (not lightning strike, the darker one). Anyway, it went back 5 times to be rectified. Holes, peel, thicknesses, lack of metallic, sanding marks etc etc.

Frustrated, my mate asked me to check it out and speak to the owner of the panel beater under the guise of someone interested in getting some private work done.
Long story short, I saw my mates car there (it was the fifth time) and I was disgusted by what I saw. The windows were down and all the shops dust was evenly layered both inside and outside. It had also been used as storage of all the sundry parts (ie, external fittings of car put inside on leather seats etc), I asked if this was normal. The guy laughed it off and said it was a Pain in the Proverbial customer, not to worry about it.
I was so mad, I had to count to ten before responding.

Frankly, I blew my stack at the guy. I told him who I was, and reminded him that the reason my friend was his "pain in the proverbial" was because he was incompetant, and had not done any satisfactory work on the vehicle in the first place.
I then told him I worked for a firm (I'd been out of there for over a year at that point, so I lied) that represented the vehicles' owner in this matter and would see him pay to have it repaired elsewhere; he would also be served with demurrage and punitive damages. I then took photos with my camera phone and they guy tried to throw me out. The police came, and after a few hours negotiating and threatening we had the vehicle retrieved and sent to a more reputable panel beater who completed the job first time, properly and with a factory finish. Several of the replacement parts allegedly used by the fifth time loser panel beater were in fact second hand or repaired, so had to be thrown out. The car required far more extensive paint works, and the interior was detailed professionally by another firm. Somehow through a lazy and incompetant operator with no pride in his work, a $4000.00 job escalated into a $13000.00 job.

The message I'm trying to relay here is this;
Don't put up with crappy service. Your car is the second biggest investment you make and whether it's a Datsun 200B or a Ferrari, its incumbent upon those in possession of it to show a duty of care. If you're unhappy with your repairer and have given them several chances to make reparations, take it elsewhere. Both your insurance company and your panel beater know this. You have to be reasonable and allow them atleast two chances to repair it, but you can exercise your right to take it to someone that you can demonstrate will repair it satisfactorily.

That said, Premier Panel Beating in Greenacre are the absolute best panel beaters I've ever dealt with. Professional, courteous service and Keith the owner, is old fashioned in the sense that the customer comes first. What I love is that he'll actually allow you to see the car, as they've got nothing to hide.

To the OP, your story reminded me of my mates and I hope you get a speedy satisfactory outcome.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
nfury8

Re assessed.
Assessor says sure we can send it off for repairs, no problem... Back to the panel beater, we will sort it out... I say not on your life no way is it going back for more damage from that guy. NEVER
Then again... hes ruined every panel how much worse could it get??? A LOT
Got a feeling this is going to be a fun ride.
Next the ute is going to be independantly assessed 4pm Tuesday, then off to consumer appeals, (if that fails) then ombudsman.... OH THE JOY
Old 04-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #13
jrfttf
Getting By!?

been in the same boat as some of you guys but not that bad! Shame places like this can't named and shamed!
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I put most panel shops in the same category as dentists and plumbers.

Absolute thieves.

I was quoted a "ballpark" figure of $3000 - $4000 a few weeks ago to prep and spray a typhoon front, rear bar and side skirts.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwa
I put most panel shops in the same category as dentists and plumbers.

Absolute thieves.

I was quoted a "ballpark" figure of $3000 - $4000 a few weeks ago to prep and spray a typhoon front, rear bar and side skirts.
I was recently quoted 10k to paint a very old post war Daimler
I bartered it down to me doing a couple of days works on a blokes telecoms and computers , and the paint cost $800 from por

stand your ground and good luck
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #16
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hopefully you think twice next time you decide to drive your car into a ditch.
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:33 AM   #17
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^Well said mate. He accidentally drives into a ditch (and freely admits it) and then decides he is happy to pay extra to have his car looking good as new again. $8000 later it ends up coming back worse, that'll teach him for driving into a ditch!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I feel for you mate, i have had a similar experience.

Back in 03 i was in hospital after knee surgery went wrong. One evening my wife came into see me and parked our EF on North tce across from the RAH.
When she left and got back to the car she noticed a hole just below the drivers door handle.
Turns out some low life decided to try and steal it and was obviously scared off by something in the process and had then run the screw driver down the door gaurd and across the bonnet.

She contacted the insurer and arranged a assesment when i was released from hospital. Before we took the car for assesment i stopped in at a reputable repairer who i had known of for many years to get a quote.
He wanted about $800 from memory.
Took the quote with me to the assesor but unfortunately it goes to the lowest bidder.
Car ended up going to some mob miles away on a flat bed, so we follow it up later that day to pay our excess, believeing if we tie up all the loose ends it may benefit our process, yeah right.
First of all they tell us 5 days, no worries, i ring up the night before, car ready, yep, ill be down tomorrow arvo, sweet.
Next day, just around the corner from the repairer, phone rings...sorry mate, problem with the paint, wont be ready til next week...no probs i said.
Then i continued to drive to his workshop.
Walked in, wheres my car, i wanna see the dodgy paint, you cant its in the paint booth, oh yeah just watch..
So i walk down through his workshop, into the booth to find a bloke taping up my car.
Hi mate, my car, what went wrong with the paint...nothing he says, im taping it up ready to paint the first coat now...thanks mate.
I storm back up to the manager with my new found info only to be told the bosses mother had passed away rah, rah, rah.

Anyway, got the car back and it was a disgrace!
They had somehow sanded the headlights when they did the bonnet, broke an indicator lense off and glued it back with finger print dust inside the lense, pin holes in all 3 panels plus the ones they blended.

I took it straight to the assesors place and in my best Pauline Hanson asked PLEASE EXPLAIN!

Needless to say he was quite embarassed and asked what i wanted to do..i said its going to Javelin, where it should have gone in the first place...no worries, book it in.

The final result saw both front gaurds, bumper, drivers front and rear door, right rear gaurd, boot lid and roof all resprayed, replaced both headlights and both indicators as the old one leftover was noticible.
Ended up costing someone alot of money.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #19
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

I feel for you too dude. To cut a long story short, I ended up selling the car due to the shoddy workmanship. It was just never the same after that.

Trouble is, the Panel Shops get pumped by the insurance companies. They are pretty much forced into doing the bare minimum or they miss out on business in the future.

I now know that if my car ever ends up in a panel shop for some major plastic surgery, I know we'll be parting company in the near future. They really are never the same again.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #20
Cooper69S

not much use to you now I know, but your insurer will probably have a choice of repairer option (if not find a new insurer). There are good repairers out there and by asking around you should be able to find them, then only ever send it to your preferred place.

had someone pull out right in front of me in the BF a few months ago which put me straight into his passenger door - thankfully he admitted full liability to the insurance company so it cost me nothing. Needed new LH guard, bonnet, bumper, grille and LH headlight. I knew the repairer where it went and to an untrained eye it's impossible to tell that the car has been repaired - paint finish is identical to the rest of the car. I've had dodgy jobs before and it's very hard to get a bad job fixed after its done, especially if it's only slightly wrong - never feels the same again. I'll only use repairers who care about the quality of their work, rather than the cheapest place the insurer has on their books.
Cooper69S is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #21
meteoriTE

Mate that really sucks & I know exactly what you are going through (must be the season) A few weeks ago I finally decided to get the front bar on the TE resprayed. Got it home & realised that it's about 3 shades darker before washing it the next day. After washing it I noticed that not all stone chips were sanded out & sprayed over. So I go back on the Monday to show them & they admited thier mistake & said they'd fix it. One of the guys there asked "was I still interested in doing the bonnet" I said "yes" & so they worked out a price to do guards aswell. So I decided to get it done as well as having the few small dings pulled out aswell. It was meant to be ready Tuesday last week, they call me & said "sorry it won't be ready until tomorrow" No worries I'm fine with that as long as the job is done right. Next day pick up the car & nose protector on the bonnet is missing, one of the guys says "I went to put it back on & noticed it wasn't painted, come back tomorrow & we'll put it back on" I thought well $h!t happens, no problems, so I go to the servo to fill up. At the servo while putting in the fuel I notice 2 small dents in the rear pass door just under the window, too late to call them as I had picked it up near knock off. Next morning I call them to tell them about it, they said " no problem we'll have a look at it when you come back this arvo" I go back Thursday & the assessor has a look & says "that's been done from the inside of the door" I said " mate I knew of every ding in the car & the other assessor & I went over the whole car to make sure so they could all be done" So he turns around & says "maybe you missed them" Find out that the piece still isn't ready can you come back tomorrow (I live 60 km away) that's when it was finally put on. I washed the car on the weekend & I found that stone chips in the bar(again) & guards have been painted over & also on the drivers guard something has dripped on it & blistered the paint. Anyway I'm going back tomorrow to sort this crap out & if I'm not happy this time, the old has said " give it to me & I'll get it sorted out because I'm retired now & have got nothing better to than complain about $h!t that isn't right & make do it until it's right"
meteoriTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #22
Valid8
COOGES

It seems like that panel beater couldnt even patch those bullet holes in your pathfinder either....
Old 06-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #23
nfury8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valid8
It seems like that panel beater couldnt even patch those bullet holes in your pathfinder either....
That is GOLD, thanks for making me laugh like a little school girl...
GOLD GOLD GOLD.
Oh the trusty pathy, cheers
Old 06-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #24
nfury8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
hopefully you think twice next time you decide to drive your car into a ditch.
Thanks dave... SO VERY WISE

T
O
O
L

Old 06-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #25
nfury8

Default And Then

So she has been assessed and nameless insurance co says...
Sure we can send it back...
BACK I DONT THINK SO JACK.
Miss NFURY9 came back worse than than before, now panels need respaying and extra work done (roof and hardlid scratches)
So up the ladder we go TO THE TOP...well next in line anyways

Called insurance company and had the claim escalated, also filed a fraud claim agaist repaier for works charged and not completed just to prove a point. $2000 +

Once report is back it will be sent to every available insurance co to make their life... difficult

Though on a lighter note some issues can be buffed out according to my preferred repairer, so not all bad just time consuming

Beware of packing ham in a warm esky?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #26
nfury8

The said pathy, good times
Old 06-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #27
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NEVER, EVER, let the insurer choose the panel shop.
Choose your panel shop first, choose it carefully based on reputation. Visit the shop, does it appear professional and well run, or is there carp lying everywhere. Talk to the owner - get a feel for if he takes pride in their work. Have them do an assessment and give that to the insurance company. If they want a second quote, YOU find a second shop.
Also, Never expect to collect your car on the first go. Don't even take the money with you. Simply go and Inspect it, and make a list of the things that still need sorting. If it's perfect, then come back tomorrow with the cash.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #28
nfury8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
NEVER, EVER, let the insurer choose the panel shop.
Choose your panel shop first, choose it carefully based on reputation. Visit the shop, does it appear professional and well run, or is there carp lying everywhere. Talk to the owner - get a feel for if he takes pride in their work. Have them do an assessment and give that to the insurance company. If they want a second quote, YOU find a second shop.
Also, Never expect to collect your car on the first go. Don't even take the money with you. Simply go and Inspect it, and make a list of the things that still need sorting. If it's perfect, then come back tomorrow with the cash.
Could not agree with you more...and did check the repairers work PRIOR to the ute being worked on. (a new Range Rover Vogue/other) expensive car though looked at every seam,seal,joint,paint finish etc.
Sadly just because they care about the high end stuff still doesnt mean they wont butcher a ford. Granted there is a $100,000+ price difference, to me personally good work should be applied to all cars regardless of monetary value.
Professionals are supposed to be exactly that.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #29
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

So.....all this talk about choosing your repairer, checking out their workshop, their previous handywork, the feng shui - all stack up when your 100 miles from home, you've bent your girl, its undrivaeable and before you can gather your senses, your car is on the back of a towy headed for Pauly's Panel Parlor?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #30
kcufasevigohw

Who is this shop ???

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/c...geG0S5AM-1.jpg

Alpine Sound System,
20in Zenetti Kaotics,
King Springs,
DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors,
2.5in Cat-Back Polished Stainless Steel Exhaust,
BPR CAI,

My Install-Build Thread.

Spray Painter, Detailer, Drummer, Dirt Bike Rider, Honda CRF450R 2007...

Listening to Celtic Frost
kcufasevigohw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post