Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
fangq

Default Steve Irwin Way..speed change

As lots of members in the SE do cruises up to Maleny etc, be aware that speed change has occurred around the Matilda servo just south of Glasshouse Mountains. Dropped from 100 to 80 km/hr Steve Irwin Way.

cheers
Steve

fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangq
As lots of members in the SE do cruises up to Maleny etc, be aware that speed change has occurred around the Matilda servo just south of Glasshouse Mountains. Dropped from 100 to 80 km/hr Steve Irwin Way.

cheers
Steve
Crikey....

Doesn't surprise me though. It is a crappy road with lots of blind intersections and heavy traffic with lots of tourists.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
sleek7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Crikey....
OH YOU DIDNT.....
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

So... major tourist destination, lots of traffic, lots of potential dangers.

Two options:
A.) Upgrade the road, work on removing blind spots or helping to alert people to these dangers, develop better infrastructure to support further growth.

B.) Take the lazy way out by lowering the speed limit 20k's, plastering speed cameras every 2km's and lie through your teeth saying that you want to "make things better"

Yay logic!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 11-11-2010 at 02:19 PM.
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
So... major tourist destination, lots of traffic, lots of potential dangers.

Two options:
A.) Upgrade the road, work on removing blind spots or helping to alert people to these dangers, develop better infrastructure to support further growth.

B.) Take the lazy way out by lowering the speed limit 20k's, plastering speed cameras every 2km's and lie through your teeth saying that you want to "make things better"

Yay logic!
Yes but it is not that easy.

The old highway has gazillions of small roads and driveways connecting directly onto it. It really is now a semi-rural secondary road.
Australia Zoo is the major drawcard and possibly an upgraded direct route to the freeway might help but then all the little businesses along there would suffer.

It is not a long 80km zone and this road is not really used as an arterial route anymore so maybe the money could be better spent fixing up the freeway or further up the highway.

Or we could just shut down Australia Zoo and send that pretend greenie septic parasite back to where she belongs....
Old 11-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
It is not a long 80km zone and this road is not really used as an arterial route anymore so maybe the money could be better spent fixing up the freeway or further up the highway.

I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I am assuming this is from the Glasshouse Mountains turnoff until the end of Steve Irwin Way?

I agree they should simply build a 'good' section to get to Australia zoo, but even now that stretch can be damn busy!

I guess it just seems that things are constantly being either legislated against, shot down, lowered or abolished because it was put into the "too hard" basket, that's why this gets under my skin, especially after they did the same thing to the section near the Ettamogha Pub, the road there is just pure rubbish.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
fangq

[QUOTE=grandpa_spec_au]I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I am assuming this is from the Glasshouse Mountains turnoff until the end of Steve Irwin Way?

I agree they should simply build a 'good' section to get to Australia zoo, but even now that stretch can be damn busy!

The new speed zone applies to about 300 meters of road at the Matilda stretch. It needed to be done, but , imo, if there is a change to a long standing limit, there should be signage that fairly shouts at you. It'll be a new speed camera hot spot..sigh
Steve
Old 11-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangq
It'll be a new speed camera hot spot..sigh
Steve
Ah yep, I shall eat my earlier comments, in this case dropping the speed limit in that particular area would be a good idea, getting in and out of the Matilda there has been hairy on a number of occasions

What I do object to is still valid though, and as you say, no signage, more speed camera and suddenly you've got yourself a nice little cash cow.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I am assuming this is from the Glasshouse Mountains turnoff until the end of Steve Irwin Way?

I guess it just seems that things are constantly being either legislated against, shot down, lowered or abolished because it was put into the "too hard" basket, that's why this gets under my skin, especially after they did the same thing to the section near the Ettamogha Pub, the road there is just pure rubbish.
Yes the whole freeway from Castledine to Forest Glen is a bloody mess. It must have been designed by idiots.

Under NO circumstances should anyone be able to turn right crossing several lanes of oncoming 110km/h traffic to wander up some dirt track trough the forestry or into a half baked tourist trap.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...,226.44,,0,2.4
Old 11-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Reminds me of the stupid changes made to the northern end of Springvale rd in vic.

It used to be 60 from the Mitchan Rd interesection to the old warrendyte rd intersection and then it increased to 70. However just after completing the upgrade to the Old warrandyte rd intersection (or downgrade in my opinon), they removed the 70 sign and posted it about 1km further up the road after the retirement home.

There was no signage or anything to advise motorists of the change and so most people still travel through that zone at 70ks. If your the one doing the speed limit then you are upsetting those who want to do 70.

The intersection itself is a disaster, while it probably should be a cross roads, it is split into 2 intersetions seperated by about 10meters, with traffic lights only at one of the interestions. Many motorists want to continue along old warrandyte rd but now have to fight their way through 2 lanes of traffic just to get into the turning lane for the next intersection. Because these 2 lanes only go for about 200m, many drivers on springvale rd try to take the opportunity to speed up and pass as many cars as they can, making it even more dangerous for those trying to get across.

I've already seen at least 2 multicar pileups here in about 6 months. Also I remeber the intersection a long time ago was prone to flooding and they dug big trenches for gutters to keep the water off the road. These roadworks have undone that and now the roads flood again after heavy rain.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor82
There was no signage or anything to advise motorists of the change and so most people still travel through that zone at 70ks. If your the one doing the speed limit then you are upsetting those who want to do 70.
The run out to Albany Creek here in Brisbane is like that, everyone seems to want to go 80 - 90 in a 70 zone, and then continue on like that until the 60 zone where half slam their brakes on, and the other half swerve around them to continue doing 80 - 90 leading up to the school zone.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Steve Irwin Way - Beerburum Rd - Bruce Highway the list goes on and on, these roads have all exceeded their use by dates and require massive upgrades ($$$$$'s)

Significant traffic increases, insufficient funds for upgrades and then accidents have to happen. In an attempt to minimise the carnage, the speed limit is reduced.

Unfortunately it took multiple fatalities on the NSW Pacific Highway (for example, Grafton and Kempsy bus crashes) before the Pacific highway received attention. The NSW Pacific Highway isn't too bad now.

The Bruce Highway for most parts is what the old Pacific Highway was.

FWIW, it's been reported that Caloundra City Council had repeatedly approached Australia Zoo seeking financial contribution from them to help upgrade the road leading to their business, but to no avail...
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap
Steve Irwin Way - Beerburum Rd - Bruce Highway the list goes on and on, these roads have all exceeded their use by dates and require massive upgrades ($$$$$'s)

Significant traffic increases, insufficient funds for upgrades and then accidents have to happen. In an attempt to minimise the carnage, the speed limit is reduced.

Unfortunately it took multiple fatalities on the NSW Pacific Highway (for example, Grafton and Kempsy bus crashes) before the Pacific highway received attention. The NSW Pacific Highway isn't too bad now.

The Bruce Highway for most parts is what the old Pacific Highway was.

FWIW, it's been reported that Caloundra City Council had repeatedly approached Australia Zoo seeking financial contribution from them to help upgrade the road leading to their business, but to no avail...
what ,that back stabbing mole spend some money actually helping someone out,you have to be joking, no wonder the poor old bloke(Steves Dad) is turning in his near grave,He must6 rue the day his son ever hooked up with her.He now has two good grandkids turned into media clowns so mommy can make more cash
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #14
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
He now has two good grandkids turned into media clowns so mommy can make more cash
To be fair though the kids were getting whored out long before steve went swimming with the ray and I can't imagine it was all her doing.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #15
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Getting back to the subject, watch out for an old dirty Hiace van and a twin cab hilux ute, white in color with a yellow light on the roof. They have been set up recently on the Steve Irwin way and are having a field day with some great Kodak moments........
Old 12-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #16
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Getting back to the subject, watch out for an old dirty Hiace van and a twin cab hilux ute, white in color with a yellow light on the roof. They have been set up recently on the Steve Irwin way and are having a field day with some great Kodak moments........
Favorite spot is near the fruit /vege stands between Glasshouse and Beerwah.
The highlux was there Tuesday morning ( 7.15 ) and still there at 1.30.
I had it spotted ..a lot didn't.
Steve
Old 14-11-2010, 01:34 AM   #17
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Yes the whole freeway from Castledine to Forest Glen is a bloody mess. It must have been designed by idiots.

Under NO circumstances should anyone be able to turn right crossing several lanes of oncoming 110km/h traffic to wander up some dirt track trough the forestry or into a half baked tourist trap.
Absolutely. Its a design observation unique to sections of the Viktorian Hume Highway (they call it freeway - its certaibnly not that in engineering specification), and is applicable to large lengths of the NSW Hume highway. Ditto Pacific highway.

Very few 'real' freeway lengths dang it.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post