Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default I6 Oil leak

Morning all,

I have an AU1 Forte that appears to be leaking oil from between the head & block. It is just down behind the thermostat housing in what appears to be some sort of 90 degree angle. I was wondering if this is indeed the head gasket thats leaking or something else? Its just so hard to see in and around there.

Also, if it is the Head Gasket, would I be alright in just replacing the gasket? Or should I get the head machined & all that other expensive stuff?

Cheers for any help

SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Jimmyd
Banned

Default Re: I6 Oil leak

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...light=oil+leak

Cheers
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Unhappy Re: I6 Oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd
I checked that thread out, mine is leaking on the opposite side of the engine. :(
Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Jimmyd
Banned

Have you degreased and re-checked? Oil leaks around the front are a pain to isolate.

In my experience the three most likely sources of oil leaks on the AU I6 are

1. Timing Chain tensioner - remove and reseal or replace
2. P/Steer pump mount bolts - remove and apply thread sealat (bottom one extends into oil gallery.... )
3. Loose timing cover bolts - retension

Unusual to have a head gasket leak in the AU

Cheers
Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Is there much oil on the passenger side of the engine much?????
Maybe an oil pressure switch cause oil to be sprayed forward on that side of the engine bay???
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Yes I have degreased it, & I then started it and it immediately began to weep (albeit VERY slightly) out of the area in question.

EDIT: Just so we all know, the power steering side & all its mounting points are bone dry & clean before i even degreased.

Last edited by SSD-85; 12-08-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Jimmyd
Banned

OK, first thing I would do in this instance would be retension the timing cover bolts then recheck.

Cheers
Old 12-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

The area where the timing cover meets the head is bone dry. Not a single sign of a leak. Its not even dirty.

Heres a photo of where its leaking.

I couldnt get my camera into the exact area, it is leaking just behind the area circled in red
Old 12-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
Day-mow
rexnet

good luck. i've got no ideas as to what it could be.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think mine has a bit of head gasget oil seepage , but it does`nt loose water and runs like a clock, nearly at 200,000 k`s, if you remove an alloy head you should at the very least get the the head surfaced, it`s not much coin to have the head resurfaced, usually less than $100 depending on the machine shop.

edit; mind you i`m not saying that`s where your leak is.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
The area where the timing cover meets the head is bone dry. Not a single sign of a leak. Its not even dirty.

I couldnt get my camera into the exact area, it is leaking just behind the area circled in red
I would say it still is the timing cover, the join goes around the back where you have the circle, mine's got a slight leak there too.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

That is 99% your timing case cover.Degrease it and retighten the bolts. Failing that I used a pretty blue silastic glue..most leaks dissappeared

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #13
The Monty
Just slidin'

Scotty, I had the same issue in the blue AU. There is a part where the timing case ends that has a gallery slightly showing on the AU's. Trust me, its weird. For seem to put a bit of gasket glue in there to stop it weeping out. Go have a look at someones thats not leaking, you will see the spot that you have shown, with gasket glue coming out. I degereased and wiped it, and pumped it full of sikaflex. Worked a treat.
Old 13-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Scotty, I had the same issue in the blue AU. There is a part where the timing case ends that has a gallery slightly showing on the AU's. Trust me, its weird. For seem to put a bit of gasket glue in there to stop it weeping out. Go have a look at someones thats not leaking, you will see the spot that you have shown, with gasket glue coming out. I degereased and wiped it, and pumped it full of sikaflex. Worked a treat.
Maybe I should come around & you can have a look see Josh