Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default V8 Intake Pipes

After some confirmation, I am about to order an intake pipe (doing it cheap through work just to see how I go with it) and I am planning on getting a 3" ID pipe with a 60deg bend, and a couple of 3" silicone flexi joiners.

I have 65mm TB and also the G&D Airbox setup but the bit that concerns me is the bend, is 60deg the right angle for our intakes?

If someone could confirm please.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Cúl-Báire

Default Re: V8 Intake Pipes

I would say 60deg is about right although I am unsure of what angle the intake runs into the G&D box.

Edit: oversize picture fail!

Last edited by Cúl-Báire; 07-01-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thanks, Ive seen that pic before. I'll order this gear in and see how I go. Less than $100 lost if it's no good anyway. I also have a mate who is a welder and very handy with this sort of stuff if it doesnt end up working the way I want it to (as simply as possible!)

Last edited by b2tf; 07-01-2012 at 11:16 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
brownieXR8

I'm very interested to see your end result, and if it works would like the part numbers that you've ordered.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
brownieXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
XH5LWEPN
Boost is here!!

60 degrees is spot on Austin.
XH5LWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieXR8
I'm very interested to see your end result, and if it works would like the part numbers that you've ordered.
x 2..

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thanks Jeff, I will update when parts come in, alll easily available too. I only have a slight concern that the pipe I've got coming may not be quite long enough to go from TB to MAF but if it's not I have a backup option that should still work out ok.

Other than that tap a hole for IAT and it should be all good.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XH5LWEPN
60 degrees is spot on Austin.
It is.......for the stock airbox intake location. G&D airbox shifts it a little.

A section of concertina connection piping will fix this.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
It is.......for the stock airbox intake location. G&D airbox shifts it a little.

A section of concertina connection piping will fix this.
Catered for that and have gone for flexible silicone joiners.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

I have done it slightly different to most, some will like it, some won't. I cut the elbow of my original intake tract which then still retains the original ACT sensor position, then used a straight section of 75mm exhaust, painted matt black. One silicone joiner put into very hot water to expand over the MAF and 2 extra clamps, all done. I basically copied this idea off Jimt3te50's T3 years ago.

crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Craig can you please stop posting pictures. Your engine bay is far too clean.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
borry
Now With 2 Cylinders More

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Craig can you please stop posting pictures. Your engine bay is far too clean.

WAYYYYY too clean! I eat from plates that arent that clean!
borry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Aw shucks, you fellas are so kind.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
Aw shucks, you fellas are so kind.
Is there something that can be tweaked in QH to keep the engine bay clean?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Quote:
Is there something that can be tweaked in QH to keep the engine bay clean?
If the answer to that was 'yes', does that mean you will join us sooner?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
If the answer to that was 'yes', does that mean you will join us sooner?
No the answer would need to be 'yes and you can also tweak your bank balance too'. I'm going to do it but a few other priorities at the moment.
Old 14-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

I've made a little bit of progress this afternoon.

This is basically a bit of a dummy run of how the final product will fit up. I made this by copying crakrz' idea of cutting the elbow off the factory pipe, and using a piece of 3" pipe to replace the corrugated part. The silicone joiner at the MAF end is an off the shelf part and fits over the MAF and the pipe easily. So far this has cost less than $20 and I don't know if it's just me but I do think throttle response has improved a bit, but the primary aim of this is aesthetics not performance. I'm not happy with where the IAT sits so in the final result it will be underneath so it can't be seen.

The 60deg bend has arrived at work but it's a lot shorter than I expected so I will need to order some straight section and have it welded. I have a mate who is a welder who is going to give me a hand with it so once it's done I will do a full list of part numbers for those who want to do the same thing. Apart from the welding, all of the parts I am using are available through Autobarn (my work) but other shops would have something similar.

Last edited by b2tf; 14-01-2012 at 10:43 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #18
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Quote:
I've made a little bit of progress this afternoon.

This is basically a bit of a dummy run of how the final product will fit up. I made this by copying crakrz' idea of cutting the elbow off the factory pipe, and using a piece of 3" pipe to replace the corrugated part. The silicone joiner at the MAF end is an off the shelf part and fits over the MAF and the pipe easily. So far this has cost less than $20 and I don't know if it's just me but I do think throttle response has improved a bit, but the primary aim of this is aesthetics not performance. I'm not happy with where the IAT sits so in the final result it will be underneath so it can't be seen.

The 60deg bend has arrived at work but it's a lot shorter than I expected so I will need to order some straight section and have it welded. I have a mate who is a welder who is going to give me a hand with it so once it's done I will do a full list of part numbers for those who want to do the same thing. Apart from the welding, all of the parts I am using are available through Autobarn (my work) but other shops would have something similar.

Well done, looks fairly neat IMO, maybe something I should consider, how much of a difference did it make with regards to induction noise?

+1 for craigs engine bay!! you know you are allowed to drive the car too mate!!!
sk8xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8xr8
Well done, looks fairly neat IMO, maybe something I should consider, how much of a difference did it make with regards to induction noise?

+1 for craigs engine bay!! you know you are allowed to drive the car too mate!!!
If i had have taken a bit more time other than 10 mins to give the pipe a quick hit with matt black I reckon it would look a bit better, but since it's temporary I didn't worry too much.

As for induction noise to be honest I think it actually might have quietened it down, but I am getting more crackle on downshifts and as I mentioned I think there's a tiny bit more throttle response. Bit more driving to really test it out is in order I think.
Old 15-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #20
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Quote:
As for induction noise to be honest I think it actually might have quietened it down, but I am getting more crackle on downshifts and as I mentioned I think there's a tiny bit more throttle response. Bit more driving to really test it out is in order I think.

Worth it just for the throttle response alone i reckon! good on ya...
Old 15-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #21
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Good work there Aust. You mentioned about welding two pieces together. Could an exhaust shop do a longer version for you? I think that's how some others have done it? You would have found that the rear clamp doesn't have much purchase on the rubber because of the radius at the base of the boss for the IAT sensor. I just trimmed about 2-3mm off the side of that to give the clamp some room. Once you get some shorter screws for your maf adapter, the finished product will very neat.

Sk8xr8, she's a daily family truckster, but I do try to stay on top of it. Thanks for your comments, makes the cleaning worth it then. Are you going to join us in Albury on the 26th Jan?
-Craig
Old 15-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
b2tf
not here much anymore

Craig

yes I did have a bit of trouble with the clamp near the IAT bung, there isn't much to get the clamp to hold on to. It is on there now though and hasnt let go which is good.

The material I'm ordering in is pre polished and to be honest I got one piece in hoping it was enough, but it won't be so I'll get another piece to match it and use that. If i hadn't have got the first piece in I wouldnt bother but I have it so I may as well use it.

The MAF screws will be changed too to clean it up and once it's done the manifold will likely get a polish. My welder mate is also making a new plate for the manifold (replacing the 5L V8 one) which will have a bit of a custom thing put on it.

It'll take a few weeks but should look ok once all done.
Old 15-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

The dearest bit is that I now think a 70mm TB is in order..........
Old 15-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #24
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

No real advantage Aust unless you have big plans. But if you do the cam and heads, then maybe. There are different airflow settings in the ECU for the different t/b sizes. But that won't be an issue for you soon, will it Aust?
-Craig
Old 15-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #25
AU Mont
Banned

from the pictures posted above it looks as both of you have made the intake smaller ?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #26
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

It's still 75mm at the inside diameter, so there is no change. It's just the wall thickness of the rubber making it look smaller.
-Craig
Old 15-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #27
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
from the pictures posted above it looks as both of you have made the intake smaller ?
It's a bit deceptive but as Craig said the inside diameter of the intake does not change - it just smooths out.

I'm thinking about changing the throttle body purely for looks, 5mm extra isnt going to make a huge difference (if any).
Old 16-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #28
sk8xr8
sliding by you...

Quote:

Sk8xr8, she's a daily family truckster, but I do try to stay on top of it. Thanks for your comments, makes the cleaning worth it then. Are you going to join us in Albury on the 26th Jan?-Craig
Sorry mate, I missed this, whats in albury?
Old 18-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #29
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Albury Australia Day AFF meet. All are welcome to join us.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11347124

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #30
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A little off topic, but regarding intake pipes and other air induction, has anyone put heat proofing around their pipes and box? Does it make a noticeable difference?

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: