Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #31
Cúl-Báire

Default Re: V8 Intake Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
A little off topic, but regarding intake pipes and other air induction, has anyone put heat proofing around their pipes and box? Does it make a noticeable difference?
When first got my XR8 it had thermal wrap all over the airbox, and intake pipe. It little or no difference once I took it all off, other than making a right mess of everything!

My advise, is don't bother.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #32
b2tf
not here much anymore

I've just about finished making mine so I thought I would update with some part numbers and pictures.

This is the (almost) end result. A little more polishing, drill a hole to fit the IAT on the underside of the pipe and job done. This cost me less than $60 to have made including getting a bloke with a TIG welder to join the pieces, it would be about $150 or so at full retail price.

This is 2 pieces of polished alloy and 2 silicone joiners, 3" in diameter. I have a 65mm TB but I reckon with a bit of heat you could get one over a 70mm TB too - there's a bit of give in them.

All parts listed are Autobarn part numbers as that's where I work but you could get most of this from any good auto store and I know the pipes are available on Summit - just didn't want to wait that long.

1x 60 degree bend 3" I.D. PN 9469
1x 6" length of 3" I.D. pipe PN 9419
2x 3" ID flexible silicone joiners PN 8421
4x 76mm hose clamps PN varies on supplier but anybody will have them.

NOTE: 60 degrees is apparently the right angle if you have a stock airbox BUT since I don't (got a G&D one) I can't confirm this. Looking at it I think it would be right though.

There are different colours and sizes available for the joiners and there are also a few options to do with pipe - different sizes etc. Check here:

http://www.naparts.com.au/PDF/SEC1%2...ue%20LOW-2.pdf

Last edited by b2tf; 30-01-2012 at 10:14 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #33
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Great pics Aust, and good info to go with it. Can't wait to see some pics from the front when you are all done.

-Craig
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #34
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Austin, how did you go about inserting the IAT? Pics, when you get it done?

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #35
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im gonna be naive here, whats the IAT?

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #36
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
im gonna be naive here, whats the IAT?
Intake Air Temp sensor, little thing that goes into the intake pipe before the throttle body.

Stu I am drilling a hole into the bottom of the pipe and using a grommet to hold it in, this is how my old AU had it done (was a herrods intake on that car) and it worked ok. Only danger is keeping it tight so it doesn't drop onto the headers.
Old 31-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #37
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Stu I am drilling a hole into the bottom of the pipe and using a grommet to hold it in, this is how my old AU had it done (was a herrods intake on that car) and it worked ok. Only danger is keeping it tight so it doesn't drop onto the headers.
Why the bottom? It has much more chance of staying in place if it is on the side - like the stock config.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 31-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #38
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
Why the bottom? It has much more chance of staying in place if it is on the side - like the stock config.
Frankly because it looks better
Old 31-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #39
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Frankly because it looks better
Cannot argue with that logic! May suggest a bit of silastic adhesive to help hold it.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 31-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #40
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
Cannot argue with that logic! May suggest a bit of silastic adhesive to help hold it.
It doesn't go any good just yet so we may as well make it look good.
Old 31-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #41
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

What happened to your vac line from your heater tap? Looks like its missing in the pic.
-Craig
Old 31-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #42
b2tf
not here much anymore

Moved a few around to have them look a little cleaner so it would be there somewhere! Planning on re-routing the PCV line from the TB too for a bit of a cleaner look. Moroso do a nice looking catch can for about $70 so if I can get that I will delete the line from the throttle body.
Old 31-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #43
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Quote:
Moved a few around to have them look a little cleaner so it would be there somewhere! Planning on re-routing the PCV line from the TB too for a bit of a cleaner look. Moroso do a nice looking catch can for about $70 so if I can get that I will delete the line from the throttle body.
I didn't think that you were into too much bling. What do you need a catch can for? Are you running boost somewhere in there?

-Craig
Old 31-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #44
BHDOGS
Banned

[QUOTE=crakrz]I didn't think that you were into too much bling. What do you need a catch can for? Are you running boost somewhere in there?

Not boost he's running bling!
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #45
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
I didn't think that you were into too much bling. What do you need a catch can for? Are you running boost somewhere in there?

-Craig
As above it has to look good cos it doesn't go good.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #46
b2tf
not here much anymore

The IAT sensor is now in, i drilled a hole for it this afternoon and fitted it all up.

For that you need the IAT out of your stock intake pipe, and a 7/16 wiring grommet which fits perfectly around the top of the sensor. Measure up the diameter of the wiring grommet and drill a hole slightly smaller in the intake pipe, push your grommet in and then push the IAT through it, reconnect the wiring and you're all done.

Pics to come.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #47
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

What, still no pics.........? Am I impatient?
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #48
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
What, still no pics.........? Am I impatient?
Internet's been slowed! Hit the download limit this month. I'll try and find a book to read while its uploading pics.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #49
OwnTheRoad
T Series Club AUST.

Has any one considered that the original pipe was corrugated to allow for engine movement? The solid looking pipes look great however should you have an engine mount failure ,which is not uncommon on the left side of the engine it will lift under acceleration and could very well pull apart the very solid intake pipe and as for more noise of course you will get more as you have removed the flex pipe which is an isolator for vibration between motor and body.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #50
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTEMEL
Has any one considered that the original pipe was corrugated to allow for engine movement? The solid looking pipes look great however should you have an engine mount failure ,which is not uncommon on the left side of the engine it will lift under acceleration and could very well pull apart the very solid intake pipe and as for more noise of course you will get more as you have removed the flex pipe which is an isolator for vibration between motor and body.
The silicone joiners are flexible ones for this very reason. My airbox has been replaced by the G&D one so intake noise is not an issue.