Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
shayne93
66 Mustang

Default Can purge solenoid be bypassed?

The charcoal canister purge solenoid on my ute has broken and giving me an annoying vaccuum leak.

Can I unplug is and bypass it by running a line (where the solenoid hose usually goes in) from the manifold into charcoal canister to stopp the fuel smell.

the vaccuum leak sound from the solenoid (it broke on the canister side) was always on, from start to stop, so I think the solenoid was always on anyway.

shayne93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 
Default Re: Can purge solenoid be bypassed?

I'm not 100% sure here, but I think that if you have it open to the manifold during open loop fueling (eg, Wide open throttle), you will then upset the target air/fuel calculations. Normally this solenoid is off during WOT. Purge solenoid is usually open while engine is under Closed Loop control (idle, cruise) and the o2 sensors are providing feedback to the ECU for corrections. I don't know how much difference it would make anyway. Someone like 5.0ED might be able to clarify this for you, or send him a PM.

-Craig
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

yeah i looked at this, the canister purge is suppost to only open during closed loop at which the o2 sensors pick up the extra fuel and correct the mixtures with the short term fuel trim's.

Should be fine just blocked off. But i would still try sourcing another unit from the wreckers, should be very cheap they are thrown out a lot....
Old 25-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 ED
yeah i looked at this, the canister purge is suppost to only open during closed loop at which the o2 sensors pick up the extra fuel and correct the mixtures with the short term fuel trim's.

Should be fine just blocked off. But i would still try sourcing another unit from the wreckers, should be very cheap they are thrown out a lot....
Only 2 mins later and he appears........LOL
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

I heard my name mentioned hahahaha...
Old 25-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
BHDOGS
Banned

Could it not be tuned out or disconnected and the tables redone
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
shayne93
66 Mustang

I've got a V8 nc fairlane in a paddock, would the solenoid off this fit/work
shayne93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post