Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
imbhvn

Default 5 speed conversion answers asap PLEASE!

Hey guys, im in the middle of the manual conversion in my au wagon series 3.

where does the plug in the photo goto? its to do with the clutch pedal im assuming its for cruise control?

also what else am i needing to do on the wiring side of things, Running the auto loom with manual ecu.

The ecu is from a vct engine, is there any difference with the ecu to the intech motor? or it will work fine?

imbhvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Default Re: 5 speed conversion answers asap PLEASE!

I believe that plug goes onto the switch at the end of the clutch pedal (should be with the pedal box).

What other wiring did you get with the conversion? I'd assume that you got a little black control box which would be for the cruise control?
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes that plug is 100% for the cruise control to be switched off when the clutch is used. The other end of it the Grey box should be screwed on to the pedal box near the clutch. This end the plug you're talking about gets plugged into a loom which plugs into another plug on one of the looms going through the firewall. Not too sure if this plug will be there though.

These pics show the plug you are asking about and where the loom between it and the second plug are.

Running an auto loom is no problem the only difference is the fact that there is no temp feedback from manual and therefore you need to loop one of the wires on the loom of the engine loom to the gearbox. On mine it was a black wire although I can tomorrow get a photo of the plug and where it gets looped.

As for using a VCT ECU?? I am not sure but it will possibly be looking for some feedback from the VCT jigger on the front of the motor?? I honestly have no idea though. But you do need to make sure the ECU being used is from the exact same series as there are 3 different processor speeds across the years. Plus many other changes.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
imbhvn

Well i took the car for a quick cruise seems to go well, running the auto ecu as i dont wanna risk running the manual vct ecu, gotta sort out the 'neautral switch' side of things. also, i had to run my auto tailshaft, its got about 10 mm of the yoke left out of the box. will this be okay for suspension travel or should i get the shaft shortened 10-20 mm? also, was there meant to be a bearing in the back of the crank for the input shaft? i didnt have one handy, will it affect the car in any way?
Old 28-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
imbhvn

Oh and the pmug im holding in the pic comes off the pedal box...
Old 28-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

Yeah, sorry mate, the box will have to come back out. That spigot bearing supports the input shaft. Without it, the clutch and gearbox won't last too long :(
As to the tailshaft, it sounds ok but would prefer to see a picture.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
imbhvn

I will upload a picture later on of the shaft, im going to be replacing the clutch soon enough so ill put a bearing in when i do the clutch my fuel economy went from 400 k's to a tank to 600+ k's to a tank
Old 02-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
imbhvn

Heres a pic of the tail shaft

Also, whats involved in changing the ecu? i got a xr6 manual ecu with the conversion, tried changing it and the smart lock light just kept flashing, and the engine wouldn't turn over, ive been told i have to take it to ford and get my keys re-programmed, is there a way around it? cheers.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Nope, have to take it to Ford to get it programmed. Only other thing you can do is use the auto ECU and wire the small mod so that the thermos don't run all the time. OR, use the auto ECU to get it to the Ford dealership and they can flash your current ECU with the manual tune.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
imbhvn

im assuming getting the manual ecu programmed will be alot cheaper than getting mine flashed?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbhvn
im assuming getting the manual ecu programmed will be alot cheaper than getting mine flashed?
Cost me $70 the second time round, cost me a case of New the first time. Would have to ask the dealership on a cost.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
OwnTheRoad
T Series Club AUST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbhvn
Well i took the car for a quick cruise seems to go well, running the auto ecu as i dont wanna risk running the manual vct ecu, gotta sort out the 'neautral switch' side of things. also, i had to run my auto tailshaft, its got about 10 mm of the yoke left out of the box. will this be okay for suspension travel or should i get the shaft shortened 10-20 mm? also, was there meant to be a bearing in the back of the crank for the input shaft? i didnt have one handy, will it affect the car in any way?
Yes without the input spiggot /bearing you will have excessive premature wear on the gearbox input shaft bearing and possibly a very expensive failure of the input shaft and it can damage the back of the engine crankshaft in some instances ,i would do as mentioned get the box out and fit one asap.