Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Is this an exhaust leak patch?

Noticed this under my car a little while ago... is this evidence of a patch, or maybe just something which got caught and melted?

While we're talking exhaust... is this crinkle in the leadin to the cat normal?

I've had the car since it was 3 years and 83,000km old.

Thanks

rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 
Default Re: Is this an exhaust leak patch?

the dark patches on the exhaust was most likely caused by a stray coles plastic bag which melted to the pipes at some stage.
i have had it a couple of times myself, quite a few years ago now.
they stink for a week or two, until most of the plastic burns off.
i now avoid them if im driving and see one blowing across the road.

the crinkles in the second pic, is just the heat shield of the cat, they are just press bent around the cat, nothing to worry about.

i would be getting the transmission leak fixed at some stage though.
you can see some blows onto the exhaust, eventually it will soak into the rubber trans mount and it will fail.

cheers,
craig

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post