Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
302donk

Default Kwinana Motorplex to assist ANDRA in securing a Championship Drag Racing venue for Vi

Kwinana Motorplex to assist ANDRA in securing a Championship Drag Racing venue for Victorian drag racers.

After six years without ANDRA Championship Drag Racing in Melbourne, ANDRA has appointed the Kwinana Motorplex management team, responsible for the Government funded venue in Perth, to pursue a new ANDRA Championship Drag Racing venue in Melbourne.

ANDRA has appointed Gary Miocevich as ANDRA Project Director for the venue planning, lobbying and construction. Kwinana Motorplex Board members will fully fund the process in exchange for the operating rights for a period, after which ANDRA will be entitled to appoint any operator of its choosing.

This approach was endorsed by the ANDRA National Executive Committee (NEC) and is supported by Australia's three major Drag Racing venue General Managers/CEOs - Steve Bettes (Willowbank Raceway), Jim Read (Western Sydney International Dragway) and Kevin Prendergast (Kwinana Motorplex).

ANDRA CEO, Tony Thornton has ensured that should Government support this proposal, the Association will end up holding a permanent ANDRA Championship Drag Racing venue in Melbourne.

Drag Racers in Victoria Association (DRiVA) President Helen Russo and ANDRA Victorian Division Director David Baker have been involved in developments and are supportive of this approach. Their help and encouragement is important for the success of the Melbourne Drag Racing venue

www.myspace.com/2v_clevo_donk
302donk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
BJ
Banned

Here we go again. I will belive it when i see people racing on it.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Insert the bit where i'm meant to get excited here -------> <-------
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
Aquarius
the age of

I think if the 'bridges' are mended with Bob it could always be at Calder
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius
I doubt it. With the amount of money he would have to spend to bring it up to scratch, Bob wont do it.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The only time you will see Bob do anything will be when it looks like someone else might get something up and going.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:33 AM   #7
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once they do that then they get Adelaide a track so then the Vic's or west ozzy'z can race on the way home from either side of the country.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:37 AM   #8
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
I heard Jim Reed (WSID) tried that, thought he got somewhere to move foward with drag racing in Vic, but it appears not...
I hope Kwinana Motorplex can help to get things going in Melb asap.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2006, 11:24 AM   #9
ALKY

the new track is to be built between Werribee and Geelong it is into final planing and the state gov have already approved the site and are going to donate the land . Bracksy has already had talks with the NSW premier about the track at Wisd and the benifits to his state economy
ALKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2006, 11:31 AM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Great.. but untill I see the track laid down and the christmas tree up I'll reserve my celebrations.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2006, 11:31 AM   #11
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKY
the new track is to be built between Werribee and Geelong it is into final planing and the state gov have already approved the site and are going to donate the land . Bracksy has already had talks with the NSW premier about the track at Wisd and the benefits to his state economy
Yeah right. It was the same thing with Adrenalin racing. Land was give money was promised and low and behold nothing. As i said in my first post, i will believe it when we are racing on it. I wouldnt trust anything the Bracks government say. And as for were they want to build it, how long before it gets built up around and we are back to square one. Again. Bj
Old 02-08-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
UNRULY

I reckon we should all support it so Bob Jane finally loses and we get a decent track. The Adrenalin project was a private enterprise. I dont blame the group making a cool $20 million profit on the land.

This appears to be the real deal. The informed blokes on the dragster forum are quite excited. They have been burnt numerous time, but they all believe this is a goer!

:
UNRULY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2006, 11:50 AM   #13
Aquarius
the age of

A track that is already there, but needs upgrading has to be a cheaper option surely.
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #14
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A track that is already there, but needs upgrading has to be a cheaper option surely.
Needs more than upgrading. Whilst it is run by someone who couldnt give a stuff about the sport it just isnt an option as has been said before
Old 02-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #15
rodderz

The guys from dragster seem confidant, they said maybe either Avalon or Craigieburn, but considering Craigiburn is so full of housing development I would be surprised if it's up there somewhere

Could it be around here somewhere, behind Avalon Airport? I have drawn in a 1/4 mile line to show how long the actual distance is, obviously a track would be over a km i'de imagine

rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #16
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just throwing around ideas at the moment, but IF there was to be another strip built, would that pressure Jane into selling Calder??
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #17
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For top level drag racing you need 1320 ft for the racing surface, 1500 ft for braking area then a further 500 ft of clear run off for emergency braking or a catchnet if not enough space for this.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:34 PM   #18
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
For top level drag racing you need 1320 ft for the racing surface, 1500 ft for braking area then a further 500 ft of clear run off for emergency braking or a catchnet if not enough space for this.
So you would need 1011m of racetrack going by those ft figures, plus return roads, access roads etc.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #19
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Just throwing around ideas at the moment, but IF there was to be another strip built, would that pressure Jane into selling Calder??
He doesn't need to sell Calder, its booked out almost every day of the week.
Its still making money.
Bob says he will never sell Calder.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #20
SpoolMan

Apparently for more info be sure to check out tomorrows herald / sun
It will be in the car guide section, with some more news on this issue.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:33 PM   #21
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
So you would need 1011m of racetrack going by those ft figures, plus return roads, access roads etc.
If thats what it converts to yep (sounds about right btw)
Old 05-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #22
TUFGPA
Starter Motor

If the goverment didnt spend so many millions on Albert Park to use once a year they could have built a purpose built track to hold all types of racing.
TUFGPA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #23
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFGPA
If the goverment didnt spend so many millions on Albert Park to use once a year they could have built a purpose built track to hold all types of racing.
Drag Racing needs a purpose built stand alone facility. A shared deal ie Eastern Creek, just doesnt work as the surface requirements are just too different. Leads to too many compromises which benefit no one