Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-12-2004, 12:43 PM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Can We Make A Difference To Asias Crisis ?

I have been watching the crisis in Asia unfold from the beggining to present on international Tv. I watched people swept away and crushed, I saw babies dead in their mothers arms. The despair on peoples faces tell a story of cataclismic proportions and here we sit.

What can make a real difference ? What will we remember in years to come ?

I think I will look back at this day and remember when I pledged some money to people who face oblivion over the next few days and weeks. Is there a way that we can muster something from us here that we can show they are in our thoughts?
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Appart from spending the morning on the forums

The guys from work have been busy down at red cross collecting donations and organising payments.

The red cross is an absolute nightmare at the moment with amount of support being offered.

A small donation to help the kids out whom no longer have parents or homes is well worth the effort.

Infact, after viewing the news stories last night, i got up halfway through my meal and made a donation as the sight of those kids moved me so much.

Anyone interest here is a link

https://www.redcross.org.au/Donation...iDonations.asp

Cheers

Gary
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Thanks man I just put in 100 bucks. Felt good to do.Any one who wishes to follow suit ,I donated via ST George bank website for the red cross
The red cross website was inundated

http://www.stgeorge.com.au/media_cen....asp?orc=media
Old 31-12-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
xrgran

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Thanks man I just put in 100 bucks. Felt good to do.Any one who wishes to follow suit ,I donated via ST George bank website for the red cross
The red cross website was inundated

http://www.stgeorge.com.au/media_cen....asp?orc=media
There are also a few banks that are being used as collection agencies up this way (Newcastle), and local radio stations are doing a similar thing.

the more we can all help the better...even if it is just the cost of a packet of cigarettes. All to a worth cause
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 01:20 PM   #5
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've donated $100 this morning also. every bit makes a huge difference - for $100 you can buy 3 music cd's, yet donating it to this cause you can provide help shelter food or water to people who really need it right now.
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 01:23 PM   #6
LTDHO
The one and only

We're trying to get money together at work for donation.

Look, it may only help a little but that's more than nothing!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
We're trying to get money together at work for donation.

Look, it may only help a little but that's more than nothing!
Nothing is what these guys have got to look forward too.Youve done well.
Old 31-12-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
EFFalcon
Last warning

i know money collected from a recent eseries cruise may be going to the cause.
they need everything they can get IMO
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 02:45 PM   #9
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminge
Infact, after viewing the news stories last night, i got up halfway through my meal and made a donation as the sight of those kids moved me so much.
Likewise...

The scale of this is beyond my comprehension, I just can't register the full impact of that many casualties. My father was telling me that there were around 110,000 killed from the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombs, before counting those that were injured and those who died from radiation afterwards. That's the kind of level of this tragedy, and it is staggering.

It really puts things into perspective and is a huge reality check, and goes to show how grateful we should be just simply to be alive, let alone living in a great country with such a positive lifestyle.

I can only hope that all of us on here, as well as around the world, dig deep and at least try and provide some help for this. It's a small step but makes a world of difference for those who need it.
Old 31-12-2004, 04:08 PM   #10
Twisted
Contributing Member

We organised a collection at work yesterday for them, i cant really think of a better cause at the moment. They will definately benefit from the odd gold coin/change that anyone can collect and throw their way, we would only blow it on Macca's or something anyway!

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 04:18 PM   #11
-AL-
Knuckle Head

My daughter and I decided to chuck some $'s in we gave $100au to worldvision yesterday, after things have settled down a bit we'll prolly look at sponsoring a little kid somewhere. Hopefully we can make a difference to these poors peeps :(
-AL- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 05:04 PM   #12
Stav
Smile

I just hope our money gets there or well spent.
Old 31-12-2004, 07:03 PM   #13
Vile Merchant
not of this world

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano14
i've donated $100 this morning also. every bit makes a huge difference - for $100 you can buy 3 music cd's, yet donating it to this cause you can provide help shelter food or water to people who really need it right now.
I agree. Better to make the donation and download the music via BitTorrent for free LOL.
Vile Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 07:10 PM   #14
parawolf
beep beep

i've donated a sizable amount - but what i'm concerned about is that there are people in parts of the world that live in these type of conditions day in day out and they don't get the same global recognition.

When was the last time you donated to help people in a 3rd world country?

i know its affected me both ways. i'm now going to monthly donate to care australia to help not only here, but in 3rd world countries.
Old 31-12-2004, 08:36 PM   #15
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Being a nurse, when I saw all the people that are suffering over there my first thought was "I could be helping over there.". However with the diseases that are going to be the next major killer and I can't have Hep B shots, I'd probably be more of a hinderance.

www.ebay.com.au is another place that you can donate at.

I wish I knew someone in the medical profession that was over there or going over, that way I'd know that my money was buying things that were needed urgently.

I will donate however, I'm just not sure to which charity there are so many of them. :(
Old 31-12-2004, 09:56 PM   #16
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

I cant even come to terms with how massive it is.
When i read that 3,000 were dead i thought damn, from a wave, then saw 12,000 and thought SH!T. Then 33,000 and I couldnt believe it, then came 60,000 and now it's well over 100,000.
They are cremating bodies asap to try and stop spreading diseases, the weather is rotting bodies rather fast apparently.
Cremation would have to be the go though.

100,000 bodies @ atleast 2metres per grave site would need a 200 kilometre grave yard. I'm not being morbid, just that thinking of it like that makes me realise how many people have died here.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 10:03 PM   #17
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Not to mention all those that would have been swept out to sea

RIP

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2004, 11:51 PM   #18
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

I see the Kiwi's are trying to do there bit, but unfortunatly the harrier carrying supplies has broken down on an Indian tarmac not sure when the flight will resume but hopefully It'll get those deserved of aid.
Top stuff to all those donating out there, Yum yum wil be doing his best to add to the collection.
Peace to all involved.
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2005, 02:42 AM   #19
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yes, ive already donated and will donate more when i get the next paycheck.

Was actually thinking tonight as i watched NYE on Ch. 9, here we are watching $xxx million go up in smoke while they have nothing. I'm all for a celebration, but its a bit rude to go do that IMHO. Im sure the vast majority of people would have preferred the NYE fireworks $$$ go to the people who need it most - woud be an achievement for us as a nation and a great start to the new year, instead of burning it all up.

Anyway, rant off now.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:49 AM   #20
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Yes, ive already donated and will donate more when i get the next paycheck.

Was actually thinking tonight as i watched NYE on Ch. 9, here we are watching $xxx million go up in smoke while they have nothing. I'm all for a celebration, but its a bit rude to go do that IMHO. Im sure the vast majority of people would have preferred the NYE fireworks $$$ go to the people who need it most - woud be an achievement for us as a nation and a great start to the new year, instead of burning it all up.

Anyway, rant off now.
So very true bro, i never watch the fireworks, i mean, millions were spent to get them up all over Australian capital cities for about 15-30 mins of pleasure, but seriously, imo if youve seen one NYE fireworks show youve seen them all.

i wouldve like to see them give the money to a worthy cause, as that wouldve made celebrating the new year quite special to me.

as for donating, ill be sure to give a nice donation once ive started working again (im unemployed and not on any government funds, lucky i have a loving mother to help me out, in which ill return two fold to her.)

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #21
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much of the donation actually will make it to the victims??
Old 01-01-2005, 09:49 AM   #22
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

The lot hopefully '67.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:26 AM   #23
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcginley
i've donated a sizable amount - but what i'm concerned about is that there are people in parts of the world that live in these type of conditions day in day out and they don't get the same global recognition.

When was the last time you donated to help people in a 3rd world country?

i know its affected me both ways. i'm now going to monthly donate to care australia to help not only here, but in 3rd world countries.
Ian too true mate.You have to wonder though about the good ol USA government who explode bombs in Iraq every minute worth 1/2 million dollars and are the last to offer a realistic hand. I dont blame the people just their greedy government. I do think that children can be fed if unneccesary invasions like these dont sap the worlds' wealth.

One other thing bothering me is that Amercan satlites have footage of the tsunami as it hit in the first instance. Why didn't they see it coming across the ocean in its 3 hour travel ? If they had footage via satelite why did that government not warn the people of the region that a 3o foot high wave was coming?

Sorry guys ,but I have skewed off a little .I believe I have made a valid point
if forum moderators want to sensor this post I will understand.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:41 AM   #24
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
You have to wonder though about the good ol USA government who explode bombs in Iraq every minute worth 1/2 million dollars and are the last to offer a realistic hand.
What I don't get is why pay millions to bomb buildings when you can pay contractors to do the same damage.
sorry been an early mornin for me.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:00 PM   #25
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much of the donation actually will make it to the victims??
Depending on the charity

If you make a phone donation, you can ask how much is taken in admin and what reaches the end.

I know that the Commonwealth Bank charges red cross a Merchant Fee for credit card payments you make, but in this case, they are going to make a donation of that MSF back to the cause.

Thats a positive in my books
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2005, 02:14 PM   #26
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminge
Depending on the charity

If you make a phone donation, you can ask how much is taken in admin and what reaches the end.

I know that the Commonwealth Bank charges red cross a Merchant Fee for credit card payments you make, but in this case, they are going to make a donation of that MSF back to the cause.

Thats a positive in my books
That's why I don't know which charity to donate to, I want ALL of my money to get there. I might do a search for Doctors or nurses going over and give them the money, they know what's needed when they get there and spend it accordingly. Losing your family is bad enough, but having to suffer an illness afterwards is just beyond words.

I saw that there were two Doctors that survived and stayed on spending their own money on essentials that were needed. In my books that rocks, they didn't just say we're safe and we're outta here. Hopefully there are other people over there doing the same thing.

If anyone knows someone that's going over please PM me so I can get some money over there ASAP.

The Maddestman and I are also going to sponser an orphan, hopefully others will do the same. I couldn't imagine losing all my family in a matter of seconds and then having nothing. Hopefully we can help at least one child, try and lead a semi normal life.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #27
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Ian too true mate.You have to wonder though about the good ol USA government who explode bombs in Iraq every minute worth 1/2 million dollars and are the last to offer a realistic hand. I dont blame the people just their greedy government. I do think that children can be fed if unneccesary invasions like these dont sap the worlds' wealth.

One other thing bothering me is that Amercan satlites have footage of the tsunami as it hit in the first instance. Why didn't they see it coming across the ocean in its 3 hour travel ? If they had footage via satelite why did that government not warn the people of the region that a 3o foot high wave was coming?

Sorry guys ,but I have skewed off a little .I believe I have made a valid point
if forum moderators want to sensor this post I will understand.

Don't even get me started on G. Dubbya Boosh!
Old 01-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #28
-AL-
Knuckle Head

Also just to ad to the "how much makes it there", I think I've read on a few Bigger Aid Agencies sites that Admin costs should be less than 10% of any donation.
We just gotta hope the remainder gets to the front line where its much needed quickly by the sounds.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:24 PM   #29
-AL-
Knuckle Head

Luvinmyeb heres a site that might help http://www.charitynavigator.org/
I chose initially to donate to Worldvision because they seemed to be acting quicker but I'd say Red Cross, Care Aus, Oxfam etc are all well established names.
Another group was www.doctorswithoutborders.org
http://www.careaustralia.org.au
http://www.unicef.com.au
http://www.oxfam.org.au
http://www.redcross.org.au
http://www.worldvision.com.au

Last edited by -AL-; 01-01-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:38 PM   #30
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Probably because there's not a satellite over the area at all given times. Also tidal waves aren't that big in the ocean, they only start to get big as they near land.

The earthquake was picked up on seismographs, however they had no contact numbers for authorities in the affected areas. Might be a bit of a crock (how hard is it to call an Embassy?), but still.

And thirdly, who's saying all the satellites were American? Sure not everyone agrees with their global policy, but that's no excuse to assume everything is their fault.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post