Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default Where are all the Falcon/ Fairlane Prototype pics

With the end of Manufacturing I was hoping to see a lot more photos of previous Prototype Falcons and Fairlane/LTD's. I would love to see what they had proposed with replacement Fairlane and Falcon Wagons. There must be loads of files and pictures and stories which seam like its been purposely not spoken about. This sort of stuff really interests me being that it's history about a car that I love. There is a lot more stuff that didn't make it to production than did. They have absolutely nothing to lose by publishing this stuff and probably more to gain than anything. So come on Ford Aus, let the stuff out and let us dream. There must have been some wild cars that were considered but never made it. Rumors were that Tickford tried turbo and supercharging a Windsor for T3.
Old 16-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Where are all the Falcon/ Fairlane Prototype pics

I imagine they'd be buried in the documents about to be sent to Dearborn. If that happens, we will never see them.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

Those sorts of documents would have been an awesome addition to the recently published book about Ford Australia.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
With the end of Manufacturing I was hoping to see a lot more photos of previous Prototype Falcons and Fairlane/LTD's. I would love to see what they had proposed with replacement Fairlane and Falcon Wagons. There must be loads of files and pictures and stories which seam like its been purposely not spoken about. This sort of stuff really interests me being that it's history about a car that I love. There is a lot more stuff that didn't make it to production than did. They have absolutely nothing to lose by publishing this stuff and probably more to gain than anything. So come on Ford Aus, let the stuff out and let us dream. There must have been some wild cars that were considered but never made it. Rumors were that Tickford tried turbo and supercharging a Windsor for T3.

Another money making opportunity to be extracted from the faithful, momentarily shelved for the future.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I contacted Ford on Monday about getting prototype and concept material from over the decades, particularly Fairlane and LTD stuff which is severely lacking on the web.

Their response is that they don't publish or release such material.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #7
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
Rumors were that Tickford tried turbo and supercharging a Windsor for T3.
I wonder how many LS-swapped AUs were taken around the You Yangs?
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #8
Struggo

Sort of on topic and a good read, http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/st...-_bonnets.html

+

Late 70/80's Clay - XE Perhaps

Last edited by Struggo; 19-10-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2016, 09:23 PM   #9
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great link there. Thanks for posting it..
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2016, 11:03 PM   #10
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggo View Post
Sort of on topic and a good read, http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/st...-_bonnets.html

+

Late 70/80's Clay - XE Perhaps

Only truly rust free xe in existence...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #11
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

That foxbody front-end mockup doesn't look half-bad!
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #12
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still not as good as the XF's front
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #13
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

I'm interested in the TE Cortina in the background. I had one the same colour. It was a GL with factory black bumpers, window frames and rear panel between the lights. It also had the tacho dash and Ghia steering wheel, no AC or power steering, 2 litre, 4 speed. It didn't have any S pack decals and I could never work out if it was some sort of limited edition or something. Does anyone know?

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
That's....actually a pretty tasty little thing. Obviously the look they were going for is that of a miniature Thunderbird. Would certainly be a unique little thing to make up.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #15
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
That's....actually a pretty tasty little thing. Obviously the look they were going for is that of a miniature Thunderbird. Would certainly be a unique little thing to make up.
Someone did. Google Ford Saxon.

3 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Last edited by jpd80; 20-10-2016 at 07:19 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2016, 09:23 PM   #18
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Smile Re: Where are all the Falcon/ Fairlane Prototype pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Ghia Mike View Post
I'm interested in the TE Cortina in the background. I had one the same colour. It was a GL with factory black bumpers, window frames and rear panel between the lights. It also had the tacho dash and Ghia steering wheel, no AC or power steering, 2 litre, 4 speed. It didn't have any S pack decals and I could never work out if it was some sort of limited edition or something. Does anyone know?
The one in the back ground looks more like a TF Cortina to me, the TF had thinner black (plastic) bumper bars.
Your TE was probably a "GS Rally Pack" option, seen pictured here in the Brochure scan section http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...php?photo=1090
You could have a Cortina sedan or wagon, L or GL with the GS Rally Pack but not the Ghia, there were stripes on the side as shown in the photos but no GS or S logos, there was a limited edition Cortina that came out in 1979, with scheel seats and other stuff with a "S" badge where the L or GL would normally be located.
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2016, 11:59 PM   #19
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Anyone have pictures or prototypes of how the EF came to be? That design was amazing for 1994, and hid its ED origins extremely well. Ford did the same a decade later with the AU to BA facelift: I remember seeing an early concept of the EF in a photo circa 1991.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #20
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2016, 12:30 AM   #21
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

Thanks 4stanger, that would be it. My first car in 1987, long gone now. It looked just like the brochure pics, orange/red but had vinyl seats, no LH mirror. The bumper over riders and driving lights were gone but as a P plater, I found those parts at the wreckers easily in the 80S.

The one in the Ford studio photo is a TE as it doesn't have the TF triangular front indicators...yet. Looks like they were working on the TF update with the thinner (plastic?) bumpers.

Anyone here from the Mildura area? I wonder if my orange TE is still around? Also, I knew a guy there in the 80s with a white TF with a 302 conversion, ultra low and with MY GIRL plates. Last time I saw it, it had been rebuilt as a show car in gunmetal grey. I wonder what happened to it?

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2016, 01:07 AM   #22
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of those images were published back in the day in the mainstream motoring magazines like Motor Manual, Wheels, (and the later Car Australia). I do recall a fair few pics on the EF at the time, as I was working for a company that was a subtier to Ford during that period, and we were sent a lot of marketing literature, including cut-down versions of the road tests in popular motoring magazines (back when marketing/promotions gave out lots of freebies to suppliers). Shame I never got to grab the ED XR6/8 Sprint "with wings" dealer style poster that was stashed in the clean-room when the EF posters arrived (which were subsequently replaced with AU ones....) but I digress...

Has there ever been a decent book released on the development of the Falcon over the years, that includes photos/drawings of concepts?

The Pedr & Tony Davis book "Project VN" goes into extensive detail about the development of the VN, and explores a lot of the concepts:

The other one that's pretty good like that is "Billion Dollar Baby" on the VE.

Just wondering if there's a decent Ford one covering the Falcon - across all 56 years (or even 40 or 30 years of it).

Some of the development history of the Falcon was well ahead of other manufacturers - yet people just don't know about it, or the story has never been told. Look at the aero work they did with the angle of the cooler in the front of the EF - achieving a much greater efficiency than just stacking them all vertically. And when the EF seats were released, they were so highly praised by the media for having so many adjustments to cater to all. We take those 10-way adjustments for granted these days!
Old 22-10-2016, 07:07 AM   #23
scotty_dee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember seeing in a Wheels magazine back in late 93 early 94 which had EF prototype shots of a aqua coloured one which looked like it had a slightly different grille and a black one which still had ED panels on the rear but the front was EF heavily disguised but with Capri lights (not the pop up ones just the slim ones)

OLD
05 BAII XR8 Ute
Shockwave
6 Speed Manual - Leather - Tinted Windows - 2.5" X-Force Catback Exhaust - John Bowe Ceramic Coated Extractors - Typhoon Console Lid and Dash Spears- Lowered - Hardlid - SS Inductions CAI - 20" Verde Kaos
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11297046
scotty_dee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #24
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post

The Pedr & Tony Davis book "Project VN" goes into extensive detail about the development of the VN, and explores a lot of the concepts:

The other one that's pretty good like that is "Billion Dollar Baby" on the VE.
!
VE never felt like a Billion Dollars worth of development. Always wondered how much of that money went toward the stupid HOLDEN Blimp. The ED to EF makeover looked a Billion bucks, and so did the AU to BA Facelift
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2016, 08:50 PM   #25
Joel.
Lost Focus In The Sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
Really like this.
Joel. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #26
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
VE never felt like a Billion Dollars worth of development. Always wondered how much of that money went toward the stupid HOLDEN Blimp. The ED to EF makeover looked a Billion bucks, and so did the AU to BA Facelift
It was not only spent on commodore development - GM USA tipped in so they could spawn other models off the chassis development, like the Cadillac CTS-V, and the reborn Camaro (which was a whole plot better than the retro mustang at the time with its live axle under the bum).

The US know Aussies can develop a better car than they can - look at how many Ford development jobs have been retained. Same with Holden.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2016, 12:31 AM   #27
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stanger View Post
The one in the back ground looks more like a TF Cortina to me, the TF had thinner black (plastic) bumper bars.
Your TE was probably a "GS Rally Pack" option, seen pictured here in the Brochure scan section http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...php?photo=1090
You could have a Cortina sedan or wagon, L or GL with the GS Rally Pack but not the Ghia, there were stripes on the side as shown in the photos but no GS or S logos, there was a limited edition Cortina that came out in 1979, with scheel seats and other stuff with a "S" badge where the L or GL would normally be located.
I don't reckon it's a te or tf, I think it might be a uk, or kiwi mk5.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2016, 12:44 AM   #28
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gotta love the XD/XE....just lower them and they look tuff.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #29
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If we want to see more, according to the Farewell Falcon Wheels magazine what we need to do is write to Mitch Fifield, Minister for Communications and the Arts : minister@communications.gov.au

More prototypes and boardroom minutes etc are amongst the documents being sent to Dearborn for permanent storage, so if there's any chance of seeing them ever again, we have to start a petetion or write to the aforementioned address. Even some Ford staffers are fighting to keep them here, so with the thousands of us members maybe we should actively take part of an initiative like this.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #30
TKFORD

D76B294C-38AE-4EE5-AB41-BCA607472AED.jpeg CB4413D4-F925-40F1-9DAC-23153BAC356C.jpeg6DD608E5-26BF-4054-912D-AC8ED508026F.jpg3A0126CB-46BF-4220-A076-7A6E23D80A93.jpgADBED421-FE20-4D48-9FAB-8B10E9B30CF8.jpeg
1987 XF Ford Falcon S Pack. White. Auto

Previous rides
2006 Ford Turbo Territory. Silhouette Black.
1995 EF Ford Falcon. Heritage Green.
TKFORD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post