Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #31
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Servicing and Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
WELL you tell me ONE instance where a car has had any problems by going 5,000 or even 10,000 kms over a scheduled service
Your brakes require doing at the next service .

Your headlights aren’t working . Your alternator is not working etc. or do they just open the doors when someone has a problem.
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #32
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I would definitely say it's essential . Two reasons . One is to ensure the car is not failing in any way that could cause an accident and secondly just plain break down . I have no doubt that any service centre will take necessary precautions as much for their own employees as anything .

All the mixed messages and threats of big fines is just a joke IMO . Even here in Tassie with less than 100 cases the mixed messages and confusion for stuff like this is driving us mad . That said ,this was what our mob decided on .

On Tuesday night with Premier Gutwein's press conference he re iterated that mental wellbeing is really important and another reason you could leave your home is to go cycling , walking , fishing , hunting etc. so long as you strictly followed the social distancing , and two person gathering rules . It's even mentioned in an online Tas Gov Coronavirus info sheet in the social gatherings section .

Today I was planning to go by myself to a very isolated place requiring a fair walk on our nearby estuary to catch a few bream for Easter (or try to) and to break the incessant stress of being surrounded by all the crap about this disease .Fishing does that for me . It's my escape as does a quiet walk in the bush with the muttleys. Raining though so not going anywhere today . Maybe tomorrow .

I fully get it that we are living in unprecedented times but I also strongly believe that common sense and mental wellbeing are a strong need too .

I'm surrounded by at least 40 people at work every day and have to poke around in my local supermarket for supplies and so on . The only time I can truly isolate myself is taking my dogs for a bushwalk on an old forestry track or go fishing on my own as described...Yet it's okay for me to have to work with a bunch of people for 8 to 9 hours a day and shop.!!!!!!!!!!!

Scomo , Murphy , Whoever ....... Don't dictate on everything , fine blatant breaches of public gatherings of two people or more and those who are in designated isolation or returning from overseas and such ..That's what needs to happen but credit us with some intelligence to take reasonable precautions while getting away from the threat of this rotten disease here and there .

Otherwise it won't be just the disease that gets us it'll be mental and other physical health matters that'll ruin us as well.

Last edited by roddy1960; 04-04-2020 at 10:16 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #33
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
Your brakes require doing at the next service .

Your headlights aren’t working . Your alternator is not working etc. or do they just open the doors when someone has a problem.
As regards brakes, most service people say they are nearly due when the pads are 1/2 worn or less.The alternator or headlights could stop working the day after the last service,nothing to do with when it was checked,unless the alternator is dismantled to find worn brushed in which case it would be repaired then,not in 10,000kms time
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #34
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Had my car serviced yesterday, no dramas. Service not due until end of April, but got in early just in case.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #35
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I don't think anyone has really answered jackute23's question.

Whilst the service centres may be open, in Vic you are only permitted to leave your house for 4 reasons:
  • Seeking medical services or providing care
  • Essential shopping
  • Exercise
  • To work

You run the risk of being fined if you are caught out of your house for a reason outside of those above. I can't see getting a car serviced is in there.
As an essential worker, I need my car in adequate working condition. So a service is a 'essential shopping'

I could instead just run my car into the ground until it breaks down. Then someone might stop to help me when I break down our on the road, then a towie/roadside mechanic will have to come out, then my car will end up at the mechanic to be worked on anyway, then I'll need a rental car for work. How many more social interaction would that entail?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #36
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Is all this back and fourth really necessary?

Drop your car off, stay in the centre (if allowed) and enjoy the free wifi and coffee / reading material.

Or go for a walk. Anyone stops you you are doing your 'exercise'.

On the way there or home if anyone stops you you are going shopping.

But it has already been stated that servicing is an essential service so you are in the clear.

It seems the ONLY people that are getting fines are the ones being asked to move on multiple times and are giving the police lip.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #37
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Is all this back and fourth really necessary?

Drop your car off, stay in the centre (if allowed) and enjoy the free wifi and coffee / reading material.

Or go for a walk. Anyone stops you you are doing your 'exercise'.

On the way there or home if anyone stops you you are going shopping.

But it has already been stated that servicing is an essential service so you are in the clear.

It seems the ONLY people that are getting fines are the ones being asked to move on multiple times and are giving the police lip.
That's fine so long as the coppers aren't all storm trooper about it. That's a red rag to a bull for many .. Common courtesy is the key I guess , both ways .
Old 04-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #38
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
That's fine so long as the coppers aren't all storm trooper about it. That's a red rag to a bull for many .. Common courtesy is the key I guess , both ways .

What I've seen of the police in the last two weeks is commendable, I don't think they will give you grief unless you give them a good reason to do so.
I do my regular exercise walks every day with no problems from the public or authorities.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2020, 08:15 PM   #39
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
What I've seen of the police in the last two weeks is commendable, I don't think they will give you grief unless you give them a good reason to do so.
I do my regular exercise walks every day with no problems from the public or authorities.

Cheers.
Good , let's keep it that way.. Enough to deal with other than getting interrogated by the boys and girls in blue if you're out to do something needed...Glad to hear .