Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Should Electric Vehicles be Banned?

It just shows the stupidity of many "Greenies" that they tout Electric Vehicles as being clean and good for the environment.

Two things to consider:

I work in the Mining Industry and have done for a good while now. Yes, Lithium is all the rage, and new projects are sprouting like weeds?
But why now? Ok so demand has risen exponentially, but why weren't these projects viable before? It's because most of these deposit are extremely low concentration, the Lithium Ore is extremely hard and expensive to grind, and very expensive to process.
So, bottom line, its an extremely "dirty" and energy consuming mineral to mine and process.

Now on to the Vehicles themselves.
EV's (including plug-in hybrids) are most heavily pushed in countries that rely on Nuclear Power.
Think about that for a minute.
Only a few years ago, mention of the word "Nuclear" or "Uranium" would have the Greenies foaming at the mouth and trying to bite you in the neck. Indeed they were chaining themselves to bulldozers around the globe.
Olympic Dam is so contaminated, you have to sign a waiver to work there. Nope, I both like my testicles, and want to limit the number to 2.
Plus of course, this is where the NIMBY factor goes ballistic.
Of course the nouveau-hippies (and there's a few in here) will prattle on about Solar Cells. Fantastic, if you're prepared to pay (without subsidy) to blanket your home in solar cells, and go completely off-grid, then have at. Unfortunately that will mean living so far out of the city, that your EV will be useless.
The Bottom line, in Australia (and most countries) is that an Electric Vehicle is effectively being run on Brown Coal. The dirtiest, filthiest, most polluting power source available. Yes, mixed in there is Solar, Wind, and Natural Gas, but that's not how it works. Obviously we prioritise clean power, and switch off the filthy stuff when and if we can. The problem is that not only are we several decades away from that, but the more we lower demand for Coal, the cheaper and more attractive it becomes. Also keep in mind that most countries in the world can't afford to be as prissy as us, so that will keep on burning coal as long as it remains cheap.

Even in a best case scenario, your EV is running on Natural Gas. So why not just save expense, inconvenience, and Lithium, and simply convert your car to gas?

So once again, just like "recycling", EV's just serve to make the Millennials feel good, whilst shifting the problem somewhere else.
In the case of a very densely populated metropolis, there is probably some benefit in shifting emissions, but the overall effect is a negative.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Should Electric Vehicles be Banned?

Nope...
Old 19-11-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez, Dazz.
Writing stuff like that will get you hung, drawn and quartered, stuck back together, then left out in the climate change to desiccate by the nouveau-hippies that lurk here.
Fake news, alternate facts and hysteria is what we want read and hear.
I would like to say that I agree with you, but, I also value my nuts, so ……..
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Lithium batteries will be superseded soon enough... Long before the doom and gloom.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

What about solar, wind and tidal power all options in various parts of OZ if the Government was not so pro coal, gas and oil.
Old 19-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Your next Ford may be electric https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50460241

Quote:
Ford has unveiled its all-electric Mustang Mach-E at a glitzy event in Los Angeles that included an appearance by actor Idris Elba.

The top-range version of the car can travel up to 370 miles on a full charge and recharge 57 miles (92km) of range in 10 minutes on a high-power charge.

There are buttons in place of conventional door handles and storage space under the front bonnet.

The fastest model can accelerate from 0-60mph in under five seconds.

In comparison, the Tesla Model X 100D can do 0-60mph in 4.4 seconds.

Like the Tesla, the Mustang Mach-E has a 15.5in (40cm) touch screen beside the steering wheel.

Prices range from £44,000 to £58,000 ($44,000 to $60,000 in the US).
Old 19-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Grumpy old man syndrome

One way or another, EV's are going to be commonplace. Technology is rapidly developing in this area, and soon there will better alternatives battery wise. Even on the charging side, renewable energy will continue to supplement our coal based sources.

To take your example of a gas powered car v's gas power plant, as gas power plant can produce power with a greater thermal efficiency than an ICE.

EV's are not just about being clean, its about finding a viable alternative to our current fossil fuel reliant ICE powered cars. Oil/gas wont last for ever, and any chance to stretch reserves is going to be investigated.

Remember, it's not just cars that need these things...much easier to switch to EV cars than a jet powered plane, or Ship. Gas is viable for heating, cooking...power production.

I always laugh when people are wholly negative towards EV cars, just slow down and put a bit more thought into the benefits.

So you love your V8? Cool, those "Nimbies", "greenies" or "millennials" or use a EV for their commutes will ultimately reduce the use of those petrol supplies so people with deep desires for petrol can enjoy it longer.

Embrace the EV.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/

Last edited by Nikked; 19-11-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #8
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

ignoring the climate, petroleum is a finite resource. Yes, I know we keep finding more and extraction technologies improve, but there is still a finite amount. Given all the other uses for it as a lubricant, source of plastics, solvents etc, does it really make sense to use it up by combustion?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Sooner or later EV's will be the go, might as well be now before fossil fuel depletion gets critical.
Why ban future technology?

Cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I suspect that, as in power generation, the final result will be a mix of technologies. EV for inner city, diesel for heavy haulage, and petrol hybrid for longer distance travel.

I'm quite excited actually
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #11
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even in a best case scenario, your EV is running on Natural Gas. So why not just save expense, inconvenience, and Lithium, and simply convert your car to gas?
Did you know methane (ch4) is natural gas and the green tards wont let it be extracted. Almost unlimited supply in the hunter valley .
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #12
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
Did you know methane (ch4) is natural gas and the green tards wont let it be extracted. Almost unlimited supply in the hunter valley .

Gas conversions is on the decline, Servo's with Gas pumps is on the decline.
Other than the taxi industry who really uses gas these days.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #13
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Gas conversions is on the decline, Servo's with Gas pumps is on the decline.
Other than the taxi industry who really uses gas these days.

Cheers.
I said ch4 not lpg the discussion is about electric cars v alternatives what's the point of burning natural gas in a generator to produce electricity to charge an electric vehicle when you can burn the gas in an internal combustion engine and avoid all the efficiency losses .
Old 19-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #14
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
I said ch4 not lpg the discussion is about electric cars v alternatives what's the point of burning natural gas in a generator to produce electricity to charge an electric vehicle when you can burn the gas in an internal combustion engine and avoid all the efficiency losses .
But a powerplant has better thermal efficiency than an ICE. A Gas turbine plant makes more power per amount of gas used than a ICE.

Plus, uses less energy to transport from production to consumer.

Not to mention less drivetrain losses.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2019, 09:24 PM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The issue that no one ever mentions I how are vision impaired pedestrians going to be able to cope with all these near silent electric cars getting about?
Sure the ones with guide dogs will be ok, but that's only a small percentage.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #16
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
The issue that no one ever mentions I how are vision impaired pedestrians going to be able to cope with all these near silent electric cars getting about?
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #17
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Ironic thing about that is it's probably an electric car some of those very early cars were battery powered
Old 20-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #18
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Ironic thing about that is it's probably an electric car some of those very early cars were battery powered
Looks like the earliest benzine powered type of car; Renault and De Dion built vehicles of such styling.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2019, 01:18 AM   #19
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Technology....

They will work something out no need to worry about it.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2019, 10:47 PM   #20
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Nope!

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2019, 11:16 PM   #21
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah why not, lets ban the mongrel things. Time to get back to the glory days
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2019, 12:22 AM   #22
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

next you'll all be posting threads bout how choppers should be ban from fire fighting use as the rotters fan the flames

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2019, 12:58 AM   #23
hayseed

I Think threads Like This one should be banned....
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2019, 05:51 AM   #24
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know the tables have turned when panicked threads like this appear.
The funniest post is the one suggesting EV"s should be banned because they're too quiet and blind people might get hit by them.
Reminds me of the claim that "people will die" as a result of the ban on single use plastic bags.

All this thread shows me yet again is the irrational fear of change that many people have.
Remember, if nothing changes..... nothing changes
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #25
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I could totally do with a self driving car today. Another 40 minutes sleep on the way to work would be great.
5 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #26
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I could totally do with a self driving car today. Another 40 minutes sleep on the way to work would be great.

An electric truck driven by a robot that builds stone walls would be nice, thanks, then I can lay back and watch the money roll in......

Would give me more time to work on the smoking, dirty oily 2 stoke diesel Louisville.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #27
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post

Would give me more time to work on the smoking, dirty oily 2 stoke diesel

LooselyBuilt.
fixed it for you

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #28
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
An electric truck driven by a robot that builds stone walls would be nice, thanks, then I can lay back and watch the money roll in......
You’ll be promoting walls of self laying recycled composite blocks that absorb carbon, while generating electricity and oxygen. Yet look exactly like the stone of that area.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #29
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Would give me more time to work on the smoking, dirty oily 2 stoke diesel Louisville.
Don’t feel too guilty. There’s probably a lot of those old 2 strokes across African, Asian, South American countries servicing the industries used to plunder the earths resources for EV production.
Don’t tell that to wealthy western ‘environmentalists’ who feel smug for dropping near or over 6 figures on an EV though.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #30
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
As long as you still have a head attached to your neck and shoulders once you arrive there....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post