Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Lightbulb Ford will bounce back: Graziano

A good news story perhaps?

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2011...graziano-23969

Quote:
The president and CEO of Ford Australia, Robert Graziano, says his company will recover from its weak start to 2011.

Although Ford's January and February sales amounted to a 1 per cent increase compared with the same period last year (compared to a 1.7 per cent dip across the market) locally-made Fords were hit hard. Falcon sales were down by 43.5 per cent, Falcon ute sales were down 13.8 per cent and Territory sales were down by 5.7 per cent. Every imported model in Ford's line-up posted significant sales gains, effectively picking up the slack.

As a result of weak sales of the locally-made vehicles, the Broadmeadows-based carmaker cut production to three days a week for the month of March – but will return to five-day shifts from next month as it ramps up for the arrival of the new Territory.

"I anticipate we'll be back [five days a week] by the end of the month. We had to slow down the factory to match demand," Graziano told the Carsales Network.

"We didn't want to be in a position where we were building cars simply for the purpose of [offering dealer discounts]," he stated.

"We were in runout for the Territory, and Falcon was affected by the typically weak fleet and government sales at this time of year.

"We will bounce back, though. I'm very optimistic about the rest of the year. We are about to launch the new Territory and we have some activity on Falcon later in the year, in particular with EcoBoost (four-cylinder) and LPI (liquid injected LPG)."

Graziano said it was premature to link the future of the Falcon's local production based on "two months of results".

The future of the Falcon beyond 2015 has been under a cloud since the global boss of Ford Alan Mulally said there would be "no more one-off cars for one-off countries". Sales of the Falcon have been falling for the better part of the past decade.

Last year, fewer than 30,000 Falcons were sold in Australia – the weakest result in the 51-year history of the nameplate. Just 10 years ago, large cars such as the Falcon and Commodore accounted for 25 per cent of all new-vehicle sales. Last year they accounted for 10 per cent.

The facelifted Ford Territory is due in showrooms in April. Ford has already built 290 vehicles in two batches (90 and 200) and has corralled them ready for shipping to dealers.
For what it's worth. I suspect there will be others dribbled out this week from Carpoint as it seems they 'save stuff for later'.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
stang65
FPRJET

Yep, Even Ford can only take the crap from the media for so long. I expect Ford to come out punching very soon, these doomsday articles are beyond the joke and i am sure the U.S see this and how much damage it is making.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ford's development cycle is simply too slow. no point harping about what you will be bringing out later in the year when your sales are crap now.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
ford's development cycle is simply too slow. no point harping about what you will be bringing out later in the year when your sales are crap now.

Better to release it late, than to recall every vehicle for expensive defects.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess their are Ford workers here who can verify the truthfullness of the comments -

Quote:
We didn't want to be in a position where we were building cars simply for the purpose of [offering dealer discounts]," he stated.
There have been comments in other threads from Ford workers that stock was building up in the factories and out in the car parks. They should be able to verify if those stock levels are falling. Anyone know the answer??
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Better to release it late, than to recall every vehicle for expensive defects.
Agreed. EA anyone?
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Graziano said it was premature to link the future of the Falcon's local production based on "two months of results".
haha, he's obviously been browsing AFF!!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
haha, he's obviously been browsing AFF!!
Nah I'm sure he is appraised of the drivel that...err, Drivel pump out on a daily basis.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 09-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

With all the down days, hasn't Ford been basically on a three day week since January?

Perhaps since mid December?

And still with all that, the stock levels kept building up..(shakes his head in disbelief)
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #10
BroadyFord

Quote:
There have been comments in other threads from Ford workers that stock was building up in the factories and out in the car parks. They should be able to verify if those stock levels are falling. Anyone know the answer??
Check out http://www.nearmap.com// and fly to Broadmeadows to see for yourself! Absolutely STAGGERING!! (Photos are from Jan 29, 2011).
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 01:32 AM   #11
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadyFord
Check out http://www.nearmap.com// and fly to Broadmeadows to see for yourself! Absolutely STAGGERING!! (Photos are from Jan 29, 2011).
Thats insane..I'd hate to think how long some of those cars might have been sitting there if one was accidently overlooked for whatever reason.

Edit: look at the grass beside the carpark. Its dead in places where cars have been parked previously for a period of time.

Last edited by SteveJH; 10-03-2011 at 01:38 AM.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 01:47 AM   #12
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like plenty of white ones in storage.

Also, the staff car park looks empty...

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #13
billy302

The fact is Falcon needs a complete face lift. We can talk about the differences between models, but if you go back a few years ford when introducing a new model at least changed the exterior of the car enough that you could see this was different. It was new, they changed the lights and bolt on panels changed the grill. This was done every new model from the XK onward. At least they changed it enough every 2 years at least. Platform changes every 10 years or so are fine. But now you have to look hard to see the differences now. I'm thoroughly sick of silver based cars. Just my opinion.

Last edited by billy302; 10-03-2011 at 03:56 AM. Reason: spelling
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I find it ironic that the new TCDI Territorys now gives better fuel economy than a Falcon sedan...
Maybe Ford 's future is better served building Escape and Territory here and just import sedans..
Old 10-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Looks like plenty of white ones in storage.

Also, the staff car park looks empty...
Jan 29 was a Saturday, so that should explain the lack of staff.
2012 Ford FG MkII G6E 2014 -
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

They have also claimed they have a build up of cars that are waiting to be shipped to flood affected areas. I guess there might be a backlog of deliveries due to them not being able to be shipped during Jan/Feb due to road closures etc.

I don't know wether that has been resolved by now or not.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #17
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I find it ironic that the new TCDI Territorys now gives better fuel economy than a Falcon sedan...
Maybe Ford 's future is better served building Escape and Territory here and just import sedans..
Until EcoBoost Falcon arrives

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I only counted 2600 cars. (Are there more stored inside). Does raise a few questions tho.

1) How can you only be making to order, when you have 2600 cars sitting around the factory.
2) If you are still making 120 Falcons a day, during your 3 day week (1440 a month), and you have only sold 3700 falcons/ Utes in the last two months (and this continues), then wouldnt it take about 4 months to clear the backlog.

Oh well, i guess the person who has to go around and turn them over every month has job security for a while.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be interested to know how many Commodores are in the car park at Elizabeth. My guess is more than 2600.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XESP351
I'd be interested to know how many Commodores are in the car park at Elizabeth. My guess is more than 2600.
I wanna know how many Caprice PPVs are in that car park.....
Old 10-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
they aren't all falcons.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
they aren't all falcons.
Lots of Utes and Territorys in there too.....
Old 10-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #23
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Going by the timeline on the picture, it doesnt seem to have been a recent event tho. It appears that the lot started to get heavily built up about July 2010, and has stayed there since.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #24
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Going by the timeline on the picture, it doesnt seem to have been a recent event tho. It appears that the lot started to get heavily built up about July 2010, and has stayed there since.
Certainly when I went to the plant in October '10 there were heaps of cars parked up outside.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Probably all those months when Ford was expecting 3,000 sales and only got 2200-2500.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #26
Jesmol

One of my jobs is to monitor probably stock levels at Holden & Ford for work, I use the nearmap photos and tracking of production rate and vfacts sales.

The graphs and photos are very concerning, it peaked somewhere around 6,000 for FG Sedan, has dropped recently to below 5,000 but has risen in Feb again due to the poor sales.

I've been forecasting injections of numerous down days since August last year and I dont think we've seen the end of it by a long way.

Holden aren't really in any better a situation, they have something like 8000 unsold cars in the pipeline.
Jesmol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #27
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesmol
One of my jobs is to monitor probably stock levels at Holden & Ford for work, I use the nearmap photos and tracking of production rate and vfacts sales.

The graphs and photos are very concerning, it peaked somewhere around 6,000 for FG Sedan, has dropped recently to below 5,000 but has risen in Feb again due to the poor sales.

I've been forecasting injections of numerous down days since August last year and I dont think we've seen the end of it by a long way.

Holden aren't really in any better a situation, they have something like 8000 unsold cars in the pipeline.
Interesting information Jesmol.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #28
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

The strange thing is during this time (since July 2010, but earlier also) we have been hearing of very long delivery times!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #29
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
A good news story perhaps?

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2011...graziano-23969

Quote:
"We will bounce back, though. I'm very optimistic about the rest of the year. We are about to launch the new Territory and we have some activity on Falcon later in the year, in particular with EcoBoost (four-cylinder) and LPI (liquid injected LPG)."
For what it's worth. I suspect there will be others dribbled out this week from Carpoint as it seems they 'save stuff for later'.
Well, the thread started out somewhat positively. Considering the boss is confident things are at their worst and will bounce is good to hear. With what Ford have in store later in the year, you would have to believe it is true.

It shows the decision to not raise the line rate last year when they were losing sales was a smart one.

Gormans decision to not proceed with the TDV6 Territory in 2006 was clearly shortsighted. But, that is what beancounters do. All that has happened is now history.

Graziano is from marketing, some of the evidence in recent advertising suggests that too.

Ford need to kick some winners with imports (which they currently are in Fiesta and Mondeo) and ride the next few months with Falcon at a lull with Territory launching with the throttle to the floor and zooming back up the VFacts chart in May/June.

Later this year the following launches happen.
* Global T6 Ranger
* Global Gen3 Focus
* FG2 with new exterior / interior / tech / LiLPG, EcoBoost and Coyote?

It may be quiet now, but the 2nd half of the year should really fire up.

PS In the meantime, cheap finance deals like 3.9% would be great for Falcon. Along of the lines of their 'smart deals'. Got to be cheaper than letting them sit for 12mths on the grass.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
The strange thing is during this time (since July 2010, but earlier also) we have been hearing of very long delivery times!
It now appears that Ford has been building the wrong product mix for nearly 6 months,
I wonder if this was the catalyst for dealer unrest and hastening Burela's departure...