Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default FPV Announces Pricing For 2010 Range

Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) today confirmed pricing for its just-released new supercharged Boss V8 engined GS and GT range models.

Manufacturer’s list price* for the FPV GS sedan with its all-new Boss 315kW V8 is priced at $56,990 and the GS Ute at $51,990. Automatic transmission is a no-cost option on both vehicles.

And for the Boss 335kW V8 engined FPV GT range, the Manufacturer’s List Price* for the FPV GT is $71,290, for the FPV GT-P is $81,540 and for the FPV GT E is $82,540. Automatic transmission is standard on the GT E, and a no-cost option on the GT and GT-P.

* Manufacturer's List Price (MLP) is the recommended price for the vehicle only. A number of other components, including dealer delivery fees, stamp duty, registration, compulsory third party insurance and other statutory charges may be payable by a customer in relation to the purchase of a vehicle and are not included in the MLP.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

With the base model sedan (GS) starting at $56,990 rrp, this makes me think that Ford will offer an XR8 in the near future ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
Mondie
Firm member

Now that pricing has been formally released l hope the FPV website gets updated with full specifications and that the EBrochure download goes live.
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
With the base model sedan (GS) starting at $56,990 rrp, this makes me think that Ford will offer an XR8 in the near future ?.
A GS basically is an XR8 with stripes and a starter button.

I suspect thet Ford would need more than the lackluster sales of the FG BOSS XR8 in order to develop a V8 engine permutation below the GS.
It would probably have to be N/A which means it would be engineered almosy from scratch which is an expensive thing to do.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
A GS basically is an XR8 with stripes and a starter button.

I suspect thet Ford would need more than the lackluster sales of the FG BOSS XR8 in order to develop a V8 engine permutation below the GS.
It would probably have to be N/A which means it would be engineered almosy from scratch which is an expensive thing to do.
Maybe , maybe not, I was more looking into the price side of thing's, an XR8 was never $56,990 rrp, so with the base model (sedan) FPV being that price, I would asume that leaves room for Ford to place an XR8 in their line up, see what I mean ?.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Maybe , maybe not, I was more looking into the price side of thing's, an XR8 was never $56,990 rrp, so with the base model (sedan) FPV being that price, I would asume that leaves room for Ford to place an XR8 in their line up, see what I mean ?.
Yes but can they afford to make a $50k V8?
It is not just a case of taking a XR6 and plonking a new engine in it, there is a huge amount of development and engineering required and there has to be a return on investment.

The FG XR8 did not sell all that well and a N/A coyote is not going to be a high performance vehicle compared to XR6T or GS so who is going to buy this car?
Old 10-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
kennyboy

given that coyote is an evoultion of the 5.4, woulda thought very little if any change required to fit fg - though na engine might require some air intake work
Old 10-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy
given that coyote is an evoultion of the 5.4, woulda thought very little if any change required to fit fg - though na engine might require some air intake work
No it is not the plonking of it in the engine bay it is the compliance requirements.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Marin Burela confirmed there would be an XR8 in 2011 at his last appearance in Geelong.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Marin Burela confirmed there would be an XR8 in 2011 at his last appearance in Geelong.
Well if there is I hope it actually sells otherwise the XR8 will join the Fairlane, LTD, Wagon, Turbo Territory, Panelvan et al.

But as with all things, time will tell......
Old 10-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes but can they afford to make a $50k V8?
It is not just a case of taking a XR6 and plonking a new engine in it, there is a huge amount of development and engineering required and there has to be a return on investment.

The FG XR8 did not sell all that well and a N/A coyote is not going to be a high performance vehicle compared to XR6T or GS so who is going to buy this car?
Actually considering FPV did all the work on the SC V8, wouldn't using the same engine, less blower for arguement sake, be actually less workload then if Ford were doing all the work from scratch. In effect it's a lower powered version of the same base. Imagine if Ford released the I6T first as a new model/upgrade and then decided later to release the n/a version. I don't think compliance would be as big a drama as it's a lower powered version of the same base. If much of the mechanicals are identical between GS and the next XR8 then costs in development would be lessened I would think. I think the bigger issue is Ford didn't plan on an XR8 after euroIV and now have to find the time and money. Mabe a G8E could help volume.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
kennyboy

would assume that the coyote already meets euro iv in na form, what other compliance would it have to meet?
Old 10-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Actually considering FPV did all the work on the SC V8, wouldn't using the same engine, less blower for arguement sake, be actually less workload then if Ford were doing all the work from scratch. In effect it's a lower powered version of the same base. Imagine if Ford released the I6T first as a new model/upgrade and then decided later to release the n/a version. I don't think compliance would be as big a drama as it's a lower powered version of the same base. If much of the mechanicals are identical between GS and the next XR8 then costs in development would be lessened I would think. I think the bigger issue is Ford didn't plan on an XR8 after euroIV and now have to find the time and money. Mabe a G8E could help volume.
Unfortunately yes it is. The amount of power it makes is of very little importance.

It is a completely different system so, for example:

How are its emissions at -15 deg up to 50 deg?
Or after 50,000km or 100,000km?
As it would be much higher compression than the S/C version how will it handle crap petrol? How will it wear?
And about 40 bazillion other tests....

Look at the F6 clutch debacle.....just a T6 and they are proven attached to a GT40 clutch and they are proven....what could go wrong?

If they just whacked it in and hoped for the best and something went wrong it would cost then $bongo BUT
If they just whacked it in, did not do the full testing and people died because of it then your last ever falcon model made before they were bankrupted and the management jailed would become quite collectible wouldn't it?
Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy
would assume that the coyote already meets euro iv in na form, what other compliance would it have to meet?
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/index.aspx
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Actually considering FPV did all the work on the SC V8, wouldn't using the same engine, less blower for arguement sake, be actually less workload then if Ford were doing all the work from scratch.
Or.......
In 12 months time, the 315 becomes the XR8 engine,
the GT's 335 Kw engine becomes the new GS engine,
the GT then gets a 350 Kw version.....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Or.......
In 12 months time, the 315 becomes the XR8 engine,
the GT's 335 Kw engine becomes the new GS engine,
the GT then gets a 350 Kw version.....
Possibly more likely but doubtful in 12 months. There would be a huge number of very angry FPV customers.

FPV buyers are NOT the same as HSV buyers........

I really do not understand what the fixation with XR8 is. The FG XR8 was a bit of a flop except for the ute as was every single B series V8 model except XR8.

If no one wanted to buy V8 fairmonts or fairlanes etc. or FG XR8 sedans why does anyone think that suddenly a XR8/G8 will be a big seller?

If it is supercharged it will cost at least as much as the GS and if it is not then it will be slower than the XR6T/G6ET but cost more in rego, fuel and whatever else.

Ford don't care how cool their cars are they care how many they sell......
Old 10-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Possibly more likely but doubtful in 12 months. There would be a huge number of very angry FPV customers.
Very angry if they ever realised that the $57,000 GS
was more than likely supposed to be a $48,000 XR8.......
Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #18
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
If no one wanted to buy V8 fairmonts or fairlanes etc. or FG XR8 sedans why does anyone think that suddenly a XR8/G8 will be a big seller?
The 3V was no comparison for a L98 in Std Form, public perception was the Boss wasn't either.

The 5.0L N/A isn't a sure set to be a seller IMO but a Detuned Miami would be.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #19
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:

FPV buyers are NOT the same as HSV buyers........

I really do not understand what the fixation with XR8 is. The FG XR8 was a bit of a flop except for the ute as was every single B series V8 model except XR8.

If it is supercharged it will cost at least as much as the GS and if it is not then it will be slower than the XR6T/G6ET but cost more in rego, fuel and whatever else.

Ford don't care how cool their cars are they care how many they sell......
That's a delima that Ford have brought on themselves, they released the "Turbo" model thinking that it would appeal to a newer generation or attract a different segment of people in the performance arena, they didn't think that it would slowly but surely kill their performance arm, the V8 (XR8).
I mean let's face it, where would Ford and FPV's future lie if we did not have the Coyote S/C, I believe that if Ford do release an XR8 it will need to be S/C to be able to compete againt's it's sibling's, like you say XR6T/G6ET, otherwise it will come to the same fate as the 5.4.
If the 5.4 met EuroIV , would it be sufficient enough to make leadership againt's the like's of HSV 6.2 ltr etc ?.
I believe not, not only is the XR8 fighting againt's it's compitior, it is fighting againt's it's sibling's and so far the little brother has won every time.
Ford need to research this exstensively because if they think that they can just re-introduce an all new 5.0 V8 into the XR8 and hope that people will come and buy it because it is the same as the stonking FPV model but without the S/C, they are in for a big shock and once again they will blame the people or sale's for the XR8's lack of, it's not a posistion I would like to be in, but it need's to perform or else.........
Old 10-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Very angry if they ever realised that the $57,000 GS
was more than likely supposed to be a $48,000 XR8.......
So so true.

I hope we're not heading for 1983 all over again.

If there's no XR8, technically that's where we are heading. (Not including FPV).

Ford were on top back then in 82/83 and right through the 80s and early 90s. They became arrogant and thought they could get away with no V8. In the short term yes, but there is something just as important as actual sales. And that is IMAGE. But the average family is not buying Falcons anymore so it may not be relevant. (Or is what happened almost 30 years ago now having an impact??).
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Three observations:

1) There seems to be a fixation on Commodore vs Falcon as though these were the only two vehicles available. Holden have a V8 whatever, Ford must copy.....

2) In the last 8 years Ford V8s have sold mostly to the "nouveau muscle car" market with the GT gradually eroding XR8 sales and outselling F6 2 to 1 despite being significantly slower both on a circuit and straight line.

3) None of the strongly pro XR8 members appear to have bought a new FG XR8 or even a BF XR8. If you, the true believers, wouldn't buy one why do you think others would?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #22
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
the GT then gets a 351 Kw version.....
Fixed that for ya there bud ;)

I think the pricing is pretty bloody good really for a list price..... the GS is a steal IMO.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #23
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
3) None of the strongly pro XR8 members appear to have bought a new FG XR8 or even a BF XR8. If you, the true believers, wouldn't buy one why do you think others would?
Some of the most pro FPV/GT "belivers" on here havn't owned one either..

Doesn't make an opinion invalid if anything it proves the product they have provided hasn't been seen as "Worthy" of the upgrade.

In my case my XR8 was 3 Years old when i got it.. about a day or two our from my 18th B'day from memory, a brand new BF XR8 was a little out of my league at that stage, the FG shape is still yet to really win me over and still has almost the same drivetrain (Although the 290 is a better unit than the 260..)
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #24
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Well if there is I hope it actually sells otherwise the XR8 will join the Fairlane, LTD, Wagon, Turbo Territory, Panelvan et al.

But as with all things, time will tell......
THEY STOPPED MAKING THE PANELVAN ????
Old 10-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #25
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Three observations:

1) There seems to be a fixation on Commodore vs Falcon as though these were the only two vehicles available. Holden have a V8 whatever, Ford must copy.....

2) In the last 8 years Ford V8s have sold mostly to the "nouveau muscle car" market with the GT gradually eroding XR8 sales and outselling F6 2 to 1 despite being significantly slower both on a circuit and straight line.

1), It has been drummed into the public for yr's that Ford is public enemy to Holden, ie XR8 V's SS GT V's GTS, it has been this way since day dot, Aussies love the rivalry just as much as the manufacturer's like to promote it to gain perception.

2)GT sale's I believe are in a different segment to XR8 sale's, for starter's they are aimed at a differen't price compitition, and as for the rest (F6 etc) and the sale stat's, read my previous post above to get my thought's on this....

3) I am strongly pro XR8 mainly because I believe the XR8 has been left to fight for itself in Ford's line up with lack lustre effort on Ford's behalf to promote it, Why did Ford focus so much on developing the "Turbo" when they allready had a performance arm in the XR8, Tickford, etc...
Like I have said before, and like you have said, why would the consumer buy a product that is not only dearer but is outclassed by it's sibling's,

who is really to blame here.... the consumer for not buying or the manufacturer for not supplying a product worthy of buying.....

Here lies the question.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #26
BHDOGS
Banned

Its george bush's fault or the banks!
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #27
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
Its george bush's fault or the banks!
How do you fiqure that ?.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
3) I am strongly pro XR8 mainly because I believe the XR8 has been left to fight for itself in Ford's line up with lack lustre effort on Ford's behalf to promote it, Why did Ford focus so much on developing the "Turbo" when they allready had a performance arm in the XR8, Tickford, etc...
Like I have said before, and like you have said, why would the consumer buy a product that is not only dearer but is outclassed by it's sibling's,

who is really to blame here.... the consumer for not buying or the manufacturer for not supplying a product worthy of buying.....

Here lies the question.
Which goes back to my original point.

If the XR8 is a NA 5.0l and $45-50K then it will not be able to compete with the XR6T or SSV so how does that make it better than the old one?

If the XR8 is S/C and $45-50k then FPV will have shot themselves in the foot.

If the XR8 is SC and the same price as GS (which is really what it is anyway) then what is the point of it? A badge?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sadly, XR8 buyers have voted with their feet and bought something else
and worse yet, there hasn't been any increase in XR6T or G6ET sales.

From that observation, I'd say they all went elsewhere, wouldn't you?

I wonder why those sales evaporated, maybe Ford gave those buyers no reason to stay...
Old 10-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

There is a whole XR8 thread with many things discussed, I dont agree that the NA 5.0L wont be competitive..how did you come to that?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post