Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #31
Trevor 57
is now there

Default Re: Lessons to be learned from a less that co-ordinated approach to a disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Isn't that is the reason the feds set up that other facility in NT, when they reckon Christmas island wasn't good enough.

Its supposed to be a quarantine station FFS. Bring it up to standard for that reason.
As for laying blame,
Funny how we all have to take responsibility for what we do, why can't a lazy public servant or politician do the same.
Feds imo are ultimately responsible for all this right from the start they had the means to stop it from entering this big Island and chose to farm it out to the stupid, lazy, greedy state governments.

In fact why do we even need state governments ?
We could have a system where there is a Federal government and the local/county governments. We could then weed out all the deadwood state public servants.
Exceptionally well said on all points roKWiz
Old 15-10-2020, 02:51 PM   #32
tweeked
N/A all the way

Default Re: Lessons to be learned from a less that co-ordinated approach to a disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
wow, does the W.A border extend to Victoria
I think you will find more people flew to WA from VIC than walk or drive....so yeah a border exists.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2020, 03:31 PM   #33
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Isn't that is the reason the feds set up that other facility in NT, when they reckon Christmas island wasn't good enough.

Its supposed to be a quarantine station FFS. Bring it up to standard for that reason.
Do you have connections in high places, as I think that's what they'll be doing shortly.
Old 15-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #34
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exceptionally well said on all points roKWiz
Looks like your lot could be in a bit of trouble Trev with this Covid thing.When the sticky,smelly stuff hits the fan,it seems that no one is responsible.Some one from a known hotspot decides to go for a drive around,infect who knows how many,and gets let off any real penalty.As for public servants,most do 2 hours in their working life!1 hour to bull**** themselves into the job,and another hour filling in the forms for their retirement,everything else in between is just too hard.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #35
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

As for laying blame,
Funny how we all have to take responsibility for what we do, why can't a lazy public servant or politician do the same.
Feds imo are ultimately responsible for all this right from the start they had the means to stop it from entering this big Island and chose to farm it out to the stupid, lazy, greedy state governments.

In fact why do we even need state governments ?
We could have a system where there is a Federal government and the local/county governments. We could then weed out all the deadwood state public servants.
The one out at Howard Springs NT belongs to the NT Govt, it's the old Inpex construction camp that was gifted to the NT when Inpex finished with it.
In February it was used to house Australians who had been evacuated from Wuhan, and It's been in constant use since then, and as i mentioned in the other COVID thread we have crew from Vic/NSW that have to fly up 2 weeks prior to joining ship and have to do a 14 day quarantine there, it's all sectioned off to keep people/groups isolated so cannot be used to it's designed population size, although it does house more than most other facilities been used and by all accounts in better conditions.

The other issue with the place is it's only got basic medical facilities, basically a First Aid station, but anyone that gets sick ends up in Darwin Hospital which is only 20 or 30 minutes away.

My (only) point been all these calls to ship them off to the offshore detention centers is not feasible, these places are only designed for illegal immigrants and not designed at all to deal with pandemic type situations, they just do not have the medical infrastructure to deal with one, any of the detainees get seriously sick out at these places end up been medivaced to the mainland.

I worked on a vessel that used to transport boat people/asylum seekers out to Christmas Island and the detention center is basic to say the least, it's not designed to hold returning Australians, it's basically a Prison as are Nauru and Manus (the added problem with Nauru/Manus centres is that they are in foreign countries)

The whole hotel quarantine shamozle is rubbish, dedicated Quarantine facilities do need to be set up and it does **** me of that it's not happening, but they do need to be done right or we will still have the leaky band aid issues we have now.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 15-10-2020 at 04:54 PM.
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #36
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
The one out at Howard Springs NT belongs to the NT Govt, it's the old Inpex construction camp that was gifted to the NT when Inpex finished with it.
In February it was used to house Australians who had been evacuated from Wuhan, and It's been in constant use since then, and as i mentioned in the other COVID thread we have crew from Vic/NSW that have to fly up 2 weeks prior to joining ship and have to do a 14 day quarantine there, it's all sectioned off to keep people/groups isolated so cannot be used to it's designed population size, although it does house more than most other facilities been used and by all accounts in better conditions.

The other issue with the place is it's only got basic medical facilities, basically a First Aid station, but anyone that gets sick ends up in Darwin Hospital which is only 20 or 30 minutes away.

My (only) point been all these calls to ship them off to the offshore detention centers is , these places are only designed for illegal immigrants and not designed at all to deal with pandemic type situations, they just do not have the medical infrastructure to deal with one, any of the detainees get seriously sick out at these places end up been medivaced to the mainland.

I worked on a vessel that used to transport boat people/asylum seekers out to Christmas Island and the detention center is basic to say the least, it's not designed to hold returning Australians, it's basically a Prison as are Nauru and Manus (the added problem with Nauru/Manus centres is that they are in foreign countries)

The whole hotel quarantine shamozle is rubbish, dedicated Quarantine facilities do need to be set up and it does **** me of that it's not happening, but they do need to be done right or we will still have the leaky band aid issues we have now.
Like I mentioned before roKWiz must have had a word to Scomo

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...-home/12769796
Old 15-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #37
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Do you have connections in high places, as I think that's what they'll be doing shortly.
No, I just use common bl**dy sense, something which is lacking in any Government dept.
Mind you I could be chipped (tin hat brigade) as every time I walk past a radio the reception goes haywire. They must be listening.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #38
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit risky with setting up a highly infection disease quarantine station in NT IMHO. Indigenous community is the most vulnerable and I would really hate to see it break out. I really hope the ring of steel is made of Valyrian. Despite best efforts we have witnessed how it still leaks.

Why not set one up in Canberra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100
Some one from a known hotspot decides to go for a drive around,infect who knows how many,and gets let off any real penalty.
I believe it has been referred to the police. $10k fine coming up me thinks. He broke multiple rules, and took two weeks to divulge the information, and only did when he was cornered. He may possibly get off with a lesser penalty, because he didn't know he had it at the time. The contact tracer official at the presser today went through the timelines, truckie was already on the road when he was identified as a "close contact".
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-10-2020, 05:55 PM   #39
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
A bit risky with setting up a highly infection disease quarantine station in NT IMHO. Indigenous community is the most vulnerable and I would really hate to see it break out. I really hope the ring of steel is made of Valyrian. Despite best efforts we have witnessed how it still leaks.

Why not set one up in Canberra?
Good idea, or a couple of ex cruise ships off Batemans bay (where all the Canberra public servants disappear too).
You listening Scotty. ?

Old 15-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #40
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
wow, does the W.A border extend to Victoria
Does it what - What Victoria?

WA was another to close their own borders - just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
I think you will find more people flew to WA from VIC than walk or drive....so yeah a border exists.
Essential travel and FIFO are allowed - 14 days isolate would be a PITA.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-10-2020, 06:53 PM   #41
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post

Essential travel and FIFO are allowed - 14 days isolate would be a PITA.
Interestingly in all this craziness, all (essential) West Australian crew that fly into Darwin to join ship (offshore oil & gas) are exempt from the 14 days isolation when they arrive, yet after a 5 week swing at sea (effectively isolated for 35 days) they fly back to WA and have to self isolate at home for 14 days, and to make sure they are following instructions the Police drop around randomly to make sure they are at home, big fine if not there....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2020, 07:01 AM   #42
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Looks like your lot could be in a bit of trouble Trev with this Covid thing.When the sticky,smelly stuff hits the fan,it seems that no one is responsible.Some one from a known hotspot decides to go for a drive around,infect who knows how many,and gets let off any real penalty.
not sure where you got that information, but the Premier was quite scathing of said truck driver in the daily press conference yesterday, and has referred the matter to the police, and knowing how over-zealous the Victoria Police are, he will be charged for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
As for public servants,most do 2 hours in their working life!1 hour to bull**** themselves into the job,and another hour filling in the forms for their retirement,everything else in between is just too hard.
and I have no idea what this rant is all about, truthfully
Old 16-10-2020, 08:10 AM   #43
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not sure where you got that information, but the Premier was quite scathing of said truck driver in the daily press conference yesterday, and has referred the matter to the police, and knowing how over-zealous the Victoria Police are, he will be charged for sure

and I have no idea what this rant is all about, truthfully
Oh thats alright!but I thought that someone who causes $millions damage to a city and gets fined a few thousand dollars is not getting heavily penalised.And he probably won’t pay the fine anyway
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #44
Trevor 57
is now there

what do suggest, a public flogging in the Mall in Maude St?
Old 16-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #45
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tough one. I do agree there should be harsher penalties if you know you are positive, and you deliberate flout the rules knowing you are positive. Careless action with potential to cause bodily harm?

This wasn't the case though. The truckie was on the road when he was identified as a close contact, but he did break several rules and didn't tell the complete truth about it. $10k is a pretty hefty fine. But I believe if the matter goes to court it could be bumped up a lot higher.
Old 16-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #46
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Tough one. I do agree there should be harsher penalties if you know you are positive, and you deliberate flout the rules knowing you are positive. Careless action with potential to cause bodily harm?

This wasn't the case though. The truckie was on the road when he was identified as a close contact, but he did break several rules and didn't tell the complete truth about it. $10k is a pretty hefty fine. But I believe if the matter goes to court it could be bumped up a lot higher.
isn't this linked to a f***wit eating at a Killmore cafe who had a permit that specifically stated not to eat at cafes in regional towns.

Old 16-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #47
Trevor 57
is now there

yep, same idiot, he didn't 'fess up to being in Shepparton, I think they tracked him with his phone
Old 16-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #48
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yep, same idiot, he didn't 'fess up to being in Shepparton, I think they tracked him with his phone
Nah they got him with genome sequencing. You can tell who passed it to who with science. They traced it back to the Kilmore outbreak, then asked him again and he fessed up. Police may ask for his phone when they come knocking.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 16-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #49
Trevor 57
is now there

ahh, OK, they must have got that off the 3 people who tested positive. - thanks

The good news, at this stage there has been no more cases reported. I know one lady who was tested when it broke and she came back negative