Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-01-2024, 02:37 PM   #1741
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I've started helping war veterans in their dealings with DVA something I did for 10 years about 8 years ago and I have recently started to help veterans again here in Yeppon.

My how DVA has changed. They are concerned about Veterans now. I got two calls today from DVA staff concerned about blokes I am assisting. Years ago it was very adversarial. I mentioned this to one of the staff and she said that was until 5 years ago when they brought in a new unit to care for veterans.

I have a Navy guy who is suicidal, his wife died a couple of years ago and he has moved to Yeppoon because his son lives here.

I see him about 3 days a week at the table of knowledge - a coffee shop where us veterans hurl abuse at each other.

He is still a work in progress and we have him seeking help now, but a psych visit is still a couple of months away due to demand and supply.

Over the years I've realised that you can try and support people, but unless they are willing to address their problems, it is a waiting game until they say, "I need help."

Life is a gift, live it
I have never met you Cav, but I can say with confidence that you are a true gentleman and a wonderful human being.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2024, 03:48 PM   #1742
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Whats got me at the moment is how some people, that you'd normally consider to be more tactful can be so damn insensitive and uncaring.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:38 AM   #1743
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I read the NSW Police media updates most days, partly to see what they’re thinking (per official comments) and partly to get an idea of what is actually going on in their sphere of activity.

Since late December, there appears to have been an uptick in the number of men going missing, most aged between early forties and later fifties, followed by a body being found with “no suspicious circumstances”. It’s quite sad in a way.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2024, 11:59 AM   #1744
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I read the NSW Police media updates most days, partly to see what they’re thinking (per official comments) and partly to get an idea of what is actually going on in their sphere of activity.

Since late December, there appears to have been an uptick in the number of men going missing, most aged between early forties and later fifties, followed by a body being found with “no suspicious circumstances”. It’s quite sad in a way.
Heart breaking to hear. To think some of us here could have added to that number if it wasn't for this thread.

I thank everyone here who has shared and been able to talk about stuff, whether to get it off their chest, rant, or just feel as though they need to speak to someone. Some of us guys don't get the opportunity to talk to people IRL or are too afraid to for fear of repercussions or rejections. As someone in their late 40's, I have found this thread just to read and share feelings to be helpful.

I hope we can continue to upbuild each other to continue on and make others guys aware that they are not alone.

Keep checking in on one another even in message form.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2024, 02:02 PM   #1745
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not surprising.... xmas is a stressful time, especially if you're alone due to a family breakup.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2024, 05:35 PM   #1746
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Not surprising.... xmas is a stressful time, especially if you're alone due to a family breakup.
It's especially stressful when you see so many people getting ready and excited about that time of the year, but know the reality is completely different for you.
Mustang GT

Old 02-02-2024, 05:43 PM   #1747
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I thank everyone here who has shared and been able to talk about stuff, whether to get it off their chest, rant, or just feel as though they need to speak to someone. Some of us guys don't get the opportunity to talk to people IRL or are too afraid to for fear of repercussions or rejections. As someone in their late 40's, I have found this thread just to read and share feelings to be helpful.

I hope we can continue to upbuild each other to continue on and make others guys aware that they are not alone.
I'm surrounded by men who hide every emotion rather than let it out. For men, it's the fear of being seen as weak or a whinger. If a man is speaking out about mental health, its just something most men don't want to listen to, in other words suck it up, paint on a smile and suffer in silence so you don't ruin my day too.

Just my observations.
Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2024, 05:46 PM   #1748
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I'm surrounded by men who hide every emotion rather than let it out. For men, it's the fear of being seen as weak or a whinger. If a man is speaking out about mental health, its just something most men don't want to listen to, in other words suck it up, paint on a smile and suffer in silence so you don't ruin my day too.

Just my observations.
You're right Deyon. This attitude could be the downfall for some. While I understand the whole 'suck it up' approach can be useful for a lot of things in a man's life. It shouldn't be for men who are struggling with battles much bigger than them. It's funny how even a listening ear can even make a difference to a guy who just needs someone to be a sound board.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2024, 10:21 PM   #1749
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
I read the NSW Police media updates most days, partly to see what they’re thinking (per official comments)
In Queensland, the very unofficial line is that if they're called to any kind of event where someone is showing any kind of mental instability whatsoever (even if its caused by the sheer presence of the police) they will either take you to the local hospital for evaluation by the "mental health professionals" voluntarily, or you go in cuffs. Simply put, if you're not all sunshine and rainbows, you're screwed.

Why? "Because we're not qualified to make that call, and if we dont take you to the professionals and something happens later, then it makes us look bad."

I wish it was a joke, but it isnt.
Old 14-03-2024, 06:58 PM   #1750
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I'm reading a novel at the moment that is dragging up some extremely painful memories. One that I really should stop reading for the sake of my own self, but I need to ride it out.

While the author listed trigger warnings at the beginning, I didn't put much thought into it. In particular, a car accident and subsequent death of a close friend, then quite graphic descriptions of suicidal depression and self-destruction that followed that event.

In the first months of high school, I had a feud going with this guy in my home group. For whatever reason, he and I butted heads. But................we ended up best friends. Even the teachers couldn't figure that one out.

We were each other's shadow, both of us hardly popular, so we had each other's back. Both of us had heath struggles, me with diabetes and he with ADHD. We were both in the school theater production, not me on stage though as I was into the technical side. We would spend weekends at each other's house, camping, learning to drive a car and motorbike.

One day, he and his mother surprised me by announcing that he was leaving school to work for his uncle as an apprentice diesel mechanic. That had always been the plan for him, I guess he wanted to waste no time getting started, while I was happy to go to the end of year 12. We then began living in different worlds and drifted apart. Working 9 to 5 under a truck and covered in oil was miles apart from studying, writing English essays and the horticulture and woodworking I was pursuing. After that, and after I finished school, we would cross paths, but only here and there.

I will never forget the random Saturday afternoon when one of my other mates turned up unannounced. I was chirpy, but he was solum and insisted I sit down. I asked why, only to be told of the horrible car accident that claimed my former best friend's life. I can't remember the details though, other than the car rolled and claimed him instantly, his immaculate and hard-earned green VS Commodore a write off. The funeral came and went, I can barely remember it. We would have been 19 or 20 at the time, I'm 37 now.

I have never really spoken about this since. The nightmares and dreams continue to haunt me though, causing me to relive what I lost over and over. Likewise reading this bloody book. If there is a positive, I guess the book prompted me to finally vent this from my system.
Mustang GT

Old 15-03-2024, 09:39 AM   #1751
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May ask what the title of the novel is DFB?
The written word can be powerful eh, stirring up the emotions.
Sounds like you had formed a bond with the mother too - ever thought of reaching out?

One of my best friends in high school passed away young. We had already drifted apart like the way you wrote, however I attended his funeral in the background and spoke to his younger brother who remembered me. Their mum was one of those bubbly happy people. She lost her husband and then oldest son yet somehow continued to have that positive happy outlook.

A few weeks ago my mother told me she bumped into Mary while out shopping. Reports are she is still the same after decades have past. My mum couldn't recall her name but Mary remembered her and me. Some mums are amazing.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2024, 12:12 PM   #1752
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I'm reading a novel at the moment that is dragging up some extremely painful memories. One that I really should stop reading for the sake of my own self, but I need to ride it out.

While the author listed trigger warnings at the beginning, I didn't put much thought into it. In particular, a car accident and subsequent death of a close friend, then quite graphic descriptions of suicidal depression and self-destruction that followed that event.

In the first months of high school, I had a feud going with this guy in my home group. For whatever reason, he and I butted heads. But................we ended up best friends. Even the teachers couldn't figure that one out.

We were each other's shadow, both of us hardly popular, so we had each other's back. Both of us had heath struggles, me with diabetes and he with ADHD. We were both in the school theater production, not me on stage though as I was into the technical side. We would spend weekends at each other's house, camping, learning to drive a car and motorbike.

One day, he and his mother surprised me by announcing that he was leaving school to work for his uncle as an apprentice diesel mechanic. That had always been the plan for him, I guess he wanted to waste no time getting started, while I was happy to go to the end of year 12. We then began living in different worlds and drifted apart. Working 9 to 5 under a truck and covered in oil was miles apart from studying, writing English essays and the horticulture and woodworking I was pursuing. After that, and after I finished school, we would cross paths, but only here and there.

I will never forget the random Saturday afternoon when one of my other mates turned up unannounced. I was chirpy, but he was solum and insisted I sit down. I asked why, only to be told of the horrible car accident that claimed my former best friend's life. I can't remember the details though, other than the car rolled and claimed him instantly, his immaculate and hard-earned green VS Commodore a write off. The funeral came and went, I can barely remember it. We would have been 19 or 20 at the time, I'm 37 now.

I have never really spoken about this since. The nightmares and dreams continue to haunt me though, causing me to relive what I lost over and over. Likewise reading this bloody book. If there is a positive, I guess the book prompted me to finally vent this from my system.
I can understand what you are going throug, I hope this doesnt bring up any unwanted thoughts.

I think you will find that most people have similar experiences, I think if you can make it through your teenage years without burying a freind you are lucky.

I lost 4 really good freinds when I was 18 all in seperate accidents over a 6 month period, 3 were passengers all in seperate car accidents, it was hard to come to terms with then and even though I am now 56 its still hits me as a unnessisary waste of life, hearing about the death of a freind or going to a funeral is still hard and brings up memories of freinds past.

Im now 56, I would say I have lost about 30 friends since, it does not get any easier and the memories of each 1 of them is brought up every time, I cant tell you how to cope as I dont even know, but I do have a drink for all of them at each wake, I know they all live on in the memories of all the people that had the pleasure to get to know them.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2024, 06:37 PM   #1753
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

As fate would have it, I had my monthly therapy session today, no prizes for guessing the topic discussed.

Other than yesterday's post, this would be the first time I have actually spoken about the loss of my mate in over 18 years. Not sure how helpful this has been, but it has lifted me out of the hole by venting the pressure.
Mustang GT

Old 15-03-2024, 11:04 PM   #1754
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

There is a saying: a problem shared is a problem halved.

I'm not sure I agree on the half bit, but at least sharing how you're feeling can be a release. It can feel like a weight off your shoulders.

The advantage with sharing on a forum like this is that it's difficult for anyone to reply, or offer advice or suggestions. It's like blurting it all out without ramifications. Plus there's also the fact that you need to write your post out in the first place. That gives you an opportunity to consider your words and how it makes you feel. Some can find that very therapeutic.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2024, 02:39 PM   #1755
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I have read some therapies involve writing out things about yourself and situations. Kind of like a journal. The articles below are worth a read if you have the time. Talks about the benefits of writing therapy and positive effects it has on the brain and heart.

https://positivepsychology.com/writing-therapy/
https://thehumancondition.com/writing-therapy/
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/4-wri...b0c50640cd5fdd

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2024, 03:47 PM   #1756
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I have read some therapies involve writing out things about yourself and situations. Kind of like a journal. The articles below are worth a read if you have the time. Talks about the benefits of writing therapy and positive effects it has on the brain and heart.

https://positivepsychology.com/writing-therapy/
https://thehumancondition.com/writing-therapy/
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/4-wri...b0c50640cd5fdd
Even though I sometimes have to push myself, I can say for certain writing is very helpful for me.

Many years ago, I gave myself the new-years challenge of writing a diary for a whole year, which entailed a notebook and one entry every day. The idea being that it was a way of venting my day onto paper before getting into bed. Sometimes it would be a sentence or paragraph for the day, sometimes it would be pages. For the most part, it was about describing my day, good or bad, getting it out of my head and letting it rest somewhere else. And yes, indeed keep this up for a whole year. I still have those notebooks, but I dare not read them back. I probably should set them on fire and be done with it. But the point was never to read them back, rather a strategy of decompressing each day.

Writing about my interests is extremely helpful too. I probably have more pressing things to do than typing a 3000-word review on a tyre dressing or lawn mower, but it keeps my mind active and focused on something other than chronic pain, diabetes, work, family troubles or whatever else is eating at me. And if someone finds those words valuable or interesting, then that's good too.
Mustang GT

Old 19-03-2024, 11:13 AM   #1757
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Above all no matter what you read or do its the power of the mind.
Keep positive more than anything else, there is always people in far worse situations than yours/ours.....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2024, 04:56 PM   #1758
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Above all no matter what you read or do its the power of the mind.
Keep positive more than anything else, there is always people in far worse situations than yours/ours.....
Very true, and an important thing to consider when trying to regroup. Having said that, I find that statement tends to raise an element of shame within my head, that somehow, I have no right to be depressed over my "little problems" compared to what others less fortunate are going through.
Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 19-03-2024, 05:22 PM   #1759
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Yes that’s a valid feeling DFB but don’t make it out that you can’t feel as such.
All of us have challenges and sure nothing like others may have but still challenges we see fit to us.
I sometimes feel so much is a challenge be it a husband father leader as such incl running a business that is always flat out sometimes I just want to switch off from the whole world and hide for a month let alone 2wks.
I have tradie issues re a problem bathroom that have been ongoing on since late Nov.
Insurance denied and the Plummer bathroom reno guy is playing smokes and mirrors - haven’t slept in my main bedroom since Nov ffs.
I’m dealing with probs every single bloody day But as I tell the wife - it could be worse haha famous line look at the bright side of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19-03-2024, 05:34 PM   #1760
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Yes that’s a valid feeling DFB but don’t make it out that you can’t feel as such.
All of us have challenges and sure nothing like others may have but still challenges we see fit to us.
I sometimes feel so much is a challenge be it a husband father leader as such incl running a business that is always flat out sometimes I just want to switch off from the whole world and hide for a month let alone 2wks.
I have tradie issues re a problem bathroom that have been ongoing on since late Nov.
Insurance denied and the Plummer bathroom reno guy is playing smokes and mirrors - haven’t slept in my main bedroom since Nov ffs.
I’m dealing with probs every single bloody day But as I tell the wife - it could be worse haha famous line look at the bright side of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I often have a strong desire to go missing, just get in the car and drive away without telling anyone. No time constraints, not phones, no social media, no forums, just anonymous me. But I also know how hurtful that could be, maybe that's the point?

"Always look on the bright side of life..............."

My father had a trick when I was a kid, which would snap me out of whatever melodrama I was playing at. He would start singing that bloody song, knowing full well I hated it, knowing full well it would stop the Primadona act. Funny what we remember.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2024, 11:27 AM   #1761
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

haha I can hear your ol man now singing the Monty song, funnily I think I annoy my family with similar trait - for I'm one of those early morn persons bright eyed and bushy tailed - Mum always said its a new happy day.
So I sing at times annoys the crap out of my wife and daughter lol - they'll remember and miss me when I'm gone.

DFB, I thought about jumping in the Sprint and just drive and drive only the other week, I just wanted to F off away from all the demands/hassles etc, I thought I would drive till I decide to book in a motel, now that can be quite far being I luv driving in my own space, so a 10/14hr stint but for fuel I'm Syd to Qld or Melb or how far west.
Yer not a thing to do to the fam having them worry and all but next time, I should just tell the wife, listen I'm going for a long drive, I'll be in touch all is ok I just want to be in a mental space peace zone for a while just the car and me.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2024, 11:48 AM   #1762
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

If you’re going to drive that far, come and grab the ute - you might as well run some errands. ;-)
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2024, 03:33 PM   #1763
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
If you’re going to drive that far, come and grab the ute - you might as well run some errands. ;-)
haha maybe I'll keep you in mind lol
Old 21-03-2024, 03:34 PM   #1764
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
haha maybe I'll keep you in mind lol
Your yoot just won't feel the same as the sprint but in Falcon name