Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Old 18-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
Aussie MustangGT
Mustang GT Auto

Default Another KB install

First up I would like to thank Chris and Paul for all their help and input on the intercooled KB install in my 2004 GT-P. My original background is one of a fully qualified motor mechanic and mechanical engineer, having worked on all sorts of cars in my own business during the 60's through to the early 90's with great success. The 60's and early 70's involved preparing sports cars for circuit racing up to a big 7 litre hemi Ramcharger for drag racing, having hillclimbed and drag raced myself over a 7 year period. I absolutely loved this period and wanted to revisit the experiece one more time by completely re-building the engine in my 2.75 year old, 3300km GT-P in readiness for supercharging, totally by myself. The engine was fitted with forged Manly forged H-beam conrods, forged Manley 9.0:1 std pistons, Ford Racing MMR high pressure oil pump, MMR billet timing wheel, steel timing chain tensioners and new std ACL Racing bigend bearings together with ARP studs and bolts throughout. The whole assembly was internally and externally balanced, crankshaft journals polished and bores honed to exactly .004" clearance, etc, etc, by Russell Jones Engines. I replaced the exhaust with a complete 4 into1 Herrod stainless steel quad system. Finally I fitted the complete intercooled Bluepower Kenne Bell supercharger kit and Chris's legendary CAI kit. I bought a map 2 sensor plug with 30cm harness from CAPA which made the job of installing the supercharger assembly infinitely easier for one person. There is a lot more to this story which I propose to detail here at some future time for those that would like to undertake the project totally by themselves. The car goes like a absolute rocket with Chris's preliminary tune and I can't wait for him to come to the Gold Coast and finish the tune to the order of 400rwkw and untold amounts of flat torque. Even now the car idles as smooth as silk. I am definitely one happy chappy.
Thanks again Chris and Paul. You are both legends in my books.
Ian
PS. The picture titled "Engine out" shows how clean things were as the car has never been out in the rain. Made things a pleasure to work on.

Aussie MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

What pictures
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
Aussie MustangGT
Mustang GT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSH
What pictures
I had a lot of great pictures but I can't get them to show up. Damn!!
Ian
Old 18-12-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

if you email them to me i will post them up for you if you like
Old 18-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
Aussie MustangGT
Mustang GT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSH
if you email them to me i will post them up for you if you like
That would be great. PM me your email address. I think I need an alternative site to post them at as maybe the total size of the files is too great to post them directly here. There are 8 pics totalling 800kb.
Ian
Old 18-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
Aussie MustangGT
Mustang GT Auto

I'll have to come back tomorrow if any one has any ideas. I have not heard from you Josh.
Ian
Old 18-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

go to www.photobucket.com and sign up an account..
load the pictures onto there (its very easy), then paste the links that appear below your image(the ones with the [IMG][/IMG] ) into your thread.

they will then appear when you submit the thread.

i hope that helps, i would love to see the pics :
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Me too.... or email can.dazzler@bigpond.com and i,ll post them as well . :
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
Aussie MustangGT
Mustang GT Auto

Thanks everyone for your help, Josh included, but I am going to have one more go myself with the pictures,
Ian.

Last edited by Aussie MustangGT; 29-07-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 19-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #10
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

very nice mate, i bet u love driving it. how many k's r on your car
Old 19-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Here is a couple more photo's that The Old Hoon had me put up for him. they are very sweet and i cant wait till i get mine.

Old 19-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #12
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I love the idea or a BPR-KB but (I know i'm in the minority) I don't like the look or the KB unit much. Has anyone made any attempts to fit the factory engine cover? Part of the reason is I would like a KB and a shaker

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #13
Aussie MustangGT
Mustang GT Auto

Thanks Josh. As mentioned in the original post, the car has only done 3300km, hence the very clean engine bay after the motor came out. How do you get the pictures to show as full size and not just thumbnails like mine? Incidentally, was able to get insurance with mentioning the blower and exhaust, etc, through Shannons. They have it classified under "heavily moderfied" and at $13000 higher cover than RACQ for only $263 more all up. Naturally RACQ weren't remotely interested in non-standard supercharged cars.
Ian.
Old 19-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #14
LUXO_8
windsor user

following my instructions earlier will show the pics full size...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
Aussie MustangGT
Mustang GT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXO_8
following my instructions earlier will show the pics full size...
Thanks mate. Will remember that for next time.Just didn't have time today.
Old 19-12-2007, 10:45 PM   #16
AGRO
KB TECH SUPPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grum
I love the idea or a BPR-KB but (I know i'm in the minority) I don't like the look or the KB unit much. Has anyone made any attempts to fit the factory engine cover? Part of the reason is I would like a KB and a shaker
Yes mate. The factory cover can be modified to go back on. All you need to do is cut out a section at the front of the plastic cover for it to fit. It then hids most of the fuel rail.
Regards
AGRO.
-------------------------------------------
Hp & Money...It's Never Enough.
AGRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 10:58 PM   #17
WOLF
Track Red XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGRO
Yes mate. The factory cover can be modified to go back on. All you need to do is cut out a section at the front of the plastic cover for it to fit. It then hids most of the fuel rail.
Regards
AGRO.
I would imagine someone has tried this....pics would be great
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 11:05 PM   #18
Grum

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Thanks AGRO, Is Craig keeping you on the pay roll for forum time???

East Coast Suspensions

BA/BF FPV parts for sale

Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Old 20-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #19
AGRO
KB TECH SUPPORT

Quote:
Thanks AGRO, Is Craig keeping you on the pay roll for forum time???
I'd like to be on Craigs payroll....lol.
Been on night shift last few weeks....have plenty of spare time.

"I would imagine someone has tried this....pics would be great."
I have some somewhere mate, I will try to dig them up. If not, I will set one up and take some pics.

Ian, beautiful looking car mate, It looks a treat. Just wait till you get it tuned properly.......: : :

Regards

AGRO.
-------------------------------------------
Hp & Money...It's Never Enough.
AGRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #20
Aussie MustangGT
Mustang GT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGRO
Ian, beautiful looking car mate, It looks a treat. Just wait till you get it tuned properly.......: : :

Regards

AGRO.
Thanks mate. I think the intercooler radiator being black looks more sophisticated IMHO. What do you think? Can't wait for the final tune from Chris as I have already gotten used to the amount of power that I have, but then you and Chris both warned me of that.......lol. His words were " You'll find that it will become addictive". He was sooooo right....hehe. Once again, thank you so much to the both of you. By the way did you notice my comments above re insurance?
Cheers, Ian.
Old 20-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #21
Scott

Great setup Ian and the car looks a treat. Interesting comment re insurance, can I ask how much shannons are charging? Before I bought another mortgage I got pretty keen on the s/c idea and checked pricing with insurers. No suprise NRMA weren't interested but Rhino would do it for about $1k with s/c, exhaust & tune. Their normal price was about $650.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #22
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

They are fantastic pics. Nice and neat. Looks very clean. I admire you alot! Looks like a nice sleeper from the outside shot!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #23
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hoon
Thanks Josh. As mentioned in the original post, the car has only done 3300km, hence the very clean engine bay after the motor came out. How do you get the pictures to show as full size and not just thumbnails like mine? Incidentally, was able to get insurance with mentioning the blower and exhaust, etc, through Shannons. They have it classified under "heavily moderfied" and at $13000 higher cover than RACQ for only $263 more all up. Naturally RACQ weren't remotely interested in non-standard supercharged cars.
Ian.
I s/c my xr8 just before my 21st & Just cars charged me another $155 for all my mods. When i first bought the car i was paying $5ooo a year to insure it, before i lost my licence it was down to $35oo fully modded. I doubt ill ever get insurance again lol.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #24
Grum

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
I s/c my xr8 just before my 21st & Just cars charged me another $155 for all my mods. When i first bought the car i was paying $5ooo a year to insure it, before i lost my licence it was down to $35oo fully modded. I doubt ill ever get insurance again lol.
Here or vegas! :

East Coast Suspensions

BA/BF FPV parts for sale

Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Old 20-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #25
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Here or vegas! :
Over here, thats why u dont get an international licence. They cany take points off u for speeding then.
Old 20-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #26
Aussie MustangGT
Mustang GT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Great setup Ian and the car looks a treat. Interesting comment re insurance, can I ask how much shannons are charging? Before I bought another mortgage I got pretty keen on the s/c idea and checked pricing with insurers. No suprise NRMA weren't interested but Rhino would do it for about $1k with s/c, exhaust & tune. Their normal price was about $650.
Thanks. I tried Ryno and they would only insure me with a supercharger if it was "state legal". As we all know they are not legal in any state if they weren't fitted to the car as original equipment as is the case with most mods. You would have to get an engineers certificate on your supercharger install stating that it met all emmission ADR's and that the driveline and brakes, etc could handle the extra power. God knows what that might cost. Shannons insured the GT-P as a "highly modified" vehicle with supercharger, etc, for $1435 incl.GST with an agreed value of $53000 and maximum no claim. I must admit I forgot to ask what the excess was, but under the circumstances is probably academic. That is also only taking the car out 2-3 times per week. RACQ on the other hand was insuring the car for $1201 at market value which they said was currently $43000 and maximum no claim and NO supercharger allowed, but naturally could take it out as often as you liked. I still think total ADR compliance would be the way to go, but in the meantime I am insured. Just have to make sure I am not pulled over by the police or Transport Department. Jeezuz life is difficult for the enthusiast. Not like the good old days.
Ian.
Old 20-12-2007, 05:45 PM   #27
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Thanks. I tried Ryno and they would only insure me with a supercharger if it was "state legal". As we all know they are not legal in any state if they weren't fitted to the car as original equipment as is the case with most mods. You would have to get an engineers certificate on your supercharger install stating that it met all emmission ADR's and that the driveline and brakes, etc could handle the extra power. God knows what that might cost. Shannons insured the GT-P as a "highly modified" vehicle with supercharger, etc, for $1435 incl.GST with an agreed value of $53000 and maximum no claim. I must admit I forgot to ask what the excess was, but under the circumstances is probably academic. That is also only taking the car out 2-3 times per week. RACQ on the other hand was insuring the car for $1201 at market value which they said was currently $43000 and maximum no claim and NO supercharger allowed, but naturally could take it out as often as you liked. I still think total ADR compliance would be the way to go, but in the meantime I am insured. Just have to make sure I am not pulled over by the police or Transport Department. Jeezuz life is difficult for the enthusiast. Not like the good old days.
Ian.
Chris can slap me if im wrong but the BPR kit is has passed all ADR's.
Old 20-12-2007, 06:10 PM   #28
The Lone Ranger
My young fella "Paddy"

And correct me if I am wrong also but I am sure that CDAA (Colville) has just been through this very same thing with the Whipple setup and passed everything and IS legal in the state of South Australia. Not sure about the KB though.

Darren
The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #29
Aussie MustangGT
Mustang GT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENIAL8
And correct me if I am wrong also but I am sure that CDAA (Colville) has just been through this very same thing with the Whipple setup and passed everything and IS legal in the state of South Australia. Not sure about the KB though.

Darren
What you both have to remember is that the ADR's in regards to emissions has changed over the years covering percentage of gases such as CO and NOx, etc, so depending on the year model of your GT, we have pre 2007 and post 2007. Then think of the engine and exhaust as being a unit putting out a percentage of the above gases. Now depending on your engine modifications and the boost of your supercharger kit, you can have an infinite combination of percentages of the above gases, with one percentage that complies with the relevant ADR emissions. So one version of say the KB kit with say 6psi boost might be made to comply with a completely standard engine/exhaust setup. Change the exhaust for example and that same kit may no longer comply. Or change the compression ratio and it may no longer comply, so to have a kit that is guaranteed to comply, you can only have one set of conditions under which that KB kit was submitted to the relevant testing authorities. Any other combination needs to be re-submitted.
Ian.
Old 20-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #30
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
What you both have to remember is that the ADR's in regards to emissions has changed over the years covering percentage of gases such as CO and NOx, etc, so depending on the year model of your GT, we have pre 2007 and post 2007. Then think of the engine and exhaust as being a unit putting out a percentage of the above gases. Now depending on your engine modifications and the boost of your supercharger kit, you can have an infinite combination of percentages of the above gases, with one percentage that complies with the relevant ADR emissions. So one version of say the KB kit with say 6psi boost might be made to comply with a completely standard engine/exhaust setup. Change the exhaust for example and that same kit may no longer comply. Or change the compression ratio and it may no longer comply, so to have a kit that is guaranteed to comply, you can only have one set of conditions under which that KB kit was submitted to the relevant testing authorities. Any other combination needs to be re-submitted.
Ian.
Granted but i'm sure that 99% of the time you could just show the paperwork for the base KB kit and be right to go, i had a cpa kit on my xr8 which wasn't engineered or adr'd and didnt have any dramas. Bluffed my way out of one or two yellow stickers but a adr sheet from a stock kit would have been perfect.