Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres?

Anyone have any experience running Michelin Pilot Sport 4's on their Falcon?
Reading reviews they seem to rate fairly highly, however lifespan appears to be on the low side.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2020, 06:32 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres?

I put Pilot Sport 4 in 235/40R18 on my Caprice, it used to break them loose on the 1-2 shift with the cheap COVID-19 specials the car had on it when I bought it.

With the Pilot Sport 4 it wouldn't even break em loose if you had a good crack, but car was only making about 150KW/rears.

They were also quiet as well - I'd buy again but I've put smaller wheels on the car.

I'm impressed with them, I've got them on my Focus daily now as well.

The bald ones lasted 14,000km, I wonder which axle they were on

Keep in mind I beat on the car all the time so tyre longevity on my cars will be different to someone who drives like a sane person.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 30-05-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Comfort oriented UHP tyre. Goodyear Assymetric 5 more sport oriented and cheaper, and then the Continental PremiumContact 6 even more sport oriented.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2_utfLrFaOM/mqdefault.jpg
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #4
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Got the Pilot 4 on my electric car and it grips really well. Get around 45,000 kms out of a set which is plenty.

I'd go the mps4s though. Great tyre and grippy
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been using them for the last 3 years on my BA Falcon. They are excellent value for money. I need them for my 5.4l 3v or else driving in the wet is a death wish. I find that they are very PSI sensitive. I have set mine to 34psi cold, which seems to be the best balance for comfort and cornering. If you look after them, get them aligned and balanced regularly, they should last 30-40,000kms. I neglected one set, and they lasted 20,000kms.....
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 07:41 PM   #6
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I put Pilot Sport 4 in 235/40R18 on my Caprice, it used to break them loose on the 1-2 shift with the cheap COVID-19 specials the car had on it when I bought it.

With the Pilot Sport 4 it wouldn't even break em loose if you had a good crack, but car was only making about 150KW/rears.

They were also quiet as well - I'd buy again but I've put smaller wheels on the car.

I'm impressed with them, I've got them on my Focus daily now as well.

The bald ones lasted 14,000km, I wonder which axle they were on

Keep in mind I beat on the car all the time so tyre longevity on my cars will be different to someone who drives like a sane person.
They look a couple of psi overinflated.
In the old days you'd do a burnout up the street and come back to examine the skid marks left on a new brand of tyres :-) to determine best psi for even wear (traction)

Now I'm guessing its a case of just keep going to get the hell out of dodge....

Michelin are a quality tyre, Was very happy with them, (MPS4S)
the NA Falcooon gets c100+ proxies nowadays for daily driver duties Good enough wet and dry due Silica

Last edited by 383hq; 30-05-2020 at 07:47 PM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
They look a couple of psi overinflated.
In the old days you'd do a burnout up the street and come back to examine the skid marks left on a new brand of tyres :-) to determine best psi for traction.
Now I'm guessing its a case of just keep going to get the hell out of dodge.
Could be, I usually run 40 PSI

Its also on the back of a VSII Caprice with its infamous crapola IRS setup, which coincidentally also has flogged out bushes.

So that combined with my 'on or off' usage of the throttle where possible probably explains 14,000km between tyres
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #8
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Tried them on the XR6T with the shockworks, and the pilot sport 4 have great grip on acceleration and good comfort, but when you want steering response you get that soft sidewall feel and they are not so good in that respect. Change directions, left to right quickly and the steering response is slow. 245/40/18's were the ones I put on. Eventually went to the pilot super sports in that size for better steering response.

But for everyday driving, cruising on stock suspension I would get the pilot sport 4 if at a good price.

Also I wanted the pilot sport 4 S but they dont come in 245/40/18s so had to give them a miss...

Good luck.

Last edited by baboon; 30-05-2020 at 08:13 PM.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 08:16 PM   #9
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have the 4s on my mustang. Best tyre I have ever used.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 08:21 PM   #10
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
but when you want steering response you get that soft sidewall feel and they are not so good in that respect.

Agree. I get a fair degree of "leaning" feel, but they grip. I can throw it into a corner with some level of confidence. It even surprises some of the VW Golf tailgaters
4 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 09:15 PM   #11
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

There's the PS4 and the PS4S. The latter is the replacement for the Super Sport, and exceeds the SS in performance and longevity. The PS4 is also a great allrounder, but not considered to be UHP. I went through 2 sets of Michelin Super Sports on my GT, but found they wore quite quickly, and lacked the straight line grip from zero, with an awful screech to boot (they did perform well driving the Putty road corners though!)

I had the PS4S on my XR8 for about 10,000 km before I traded it in, and they still looked and drove like new. They did take around 1000km to fully bed in, but once done, grip and drive was phenomenal. Highly recommended as I believe they are the best of the best when it comes to performance tyres.

I'll be trying the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport on my Alfa when the time comes, as unfortunately the PS4S does not come in 285 width. I hear these new Goodyear's are just as good.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 10:42 PM   #12
lamborghinifan

+1 here. Had them on my caprice, great. Better and quieter then the Yokohama and nexens the proceeded them.
Also have them on the hot hatch Peugeot. Very happy all round, worth the money.
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2020, 10:56 PM   #13
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

Got MPS4'S on the sprint, transformed the car, tonne of grip and last long, done 23k on them and I'll easily get 40k
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2020, 07:02 PM   #14
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Michelin Primacy 4 also have the same poor lateral stability as the PS4's. Excellent in wet though, especially resistance to hydroplaning.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2020, 07:41 PM   #15
Roger1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie86 View Post
Got MPS4'S on the sprint, transformed the car, tonne of grip and last long, done 23k on them and I'll easily get 40k

Thanks for the useful information Frankie, it will help me make the right choice with the PS4S when I can afford new tyres. My Falcon FGX XR8 is only a Sunday car that does 3,000 KM per year at the most. This means If I made the wrong tyre choice I would be stuck with them for a long time.

Thanks M&Ms for your useful information too. Sounds like the PS4S gives great tread life as well as great straight line grip. It will be nice to actually experience the straight line acceleration the car is capable of, something I can't do now with the hopless Dunlops still on the car.
Roger1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2020, 11:10 PM   #16
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I have Pilot Sport 4 tyres on the i30 - Pilot Sport 4S on both Mustangs - both are good - the 4S is quieter, and much better in the wet.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2020, 03:57 PM   #17
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.
Ordered a set that are being fitted tomorrow.
Initially didn't intend to spend as much.
Size 245/40ZR18 97Y going on a 2014 ECoLpi XR6 ute.
I hate running mixed tyres so getting 5 of them, which should extend the milage by 20% if I can rotate them on a regular basis.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #18
Chopped
as in chopped

Great tyre, slightly muted the initial turn in feel but they stuck every time.
Awesome in the wet.
After about 30k they started to loose grip rapidly, its like they went off.
Happy to buy them again.
You will like them.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:08 AM   #19
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a set of Pilot Sport 4 on my Mondeo. I think they're the best tyre I've had, miles better than the OEM Continental CSC5.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2020, 01:55 PM   #20
gianam
Starter Motor

I have them on my GTF and Focus RS LE. Best tyres ever!
gianam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #21
borts154
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1960 View Post
Thanks for the useful information Frankie, it will help me make the right choice with the PS4S when I can afford new tyres. My Falcon FGX XR8 is only a Sunday car that does 3,000 KM per year at the most. This means If I made the wrong tyre choice I would be stuck with them for a long time.

Thanks M&Ms for your useful information too. Sounds like the PS4S gives great tread life as well as great straight line grip. It will be nice to actually experience the straight line acceleration the car is capable of, something I can't do now with the hopless Dunlops still on the car.
You'll love the PS4S, like you my 2015 XR8 isn't a daily driver & when the time came to replace the Dunlops I wanted a decent tire, the PS4S was it.

I've done over 10k on them now & they are great. There is more - but not much more tyre noise compared to the Dunlops - the only good thing the Dunlops had going for them and nowhere near as bad as the PZERO's I used to have on my G6E.
borts154 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Honestly once you get used to them, most other tyres seem like garbage. The 4S is the business. My Mustangs can still get squirrely with them but that's that's just its fat-assed tail-happy nature.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #23
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had MPSS on the GT and they are the ducks guts, buy any performance Michelin and you wont go wrong.
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2020, 01:05 PM   #24
Roger1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by borts154 View Post
You'll love the PS4S, like you my 2015 XR8 isn't a daily driver & when the time came to replace the Dunlops I wanted a decent tire, the PS4S was it.

I've done over 10k on them now & they are great. There is more - but not much more tyre noise compared to the Dunlops - the only good thing the Dunlops had going for them and nowhere near as bad as the PZERO's I used to have on my G6E.
I'm hearing mostly great stuff about the Michelin PS4S tyres so far. However, if you found them a bit noisier than the original Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres, on exactly the same car as mine, then that's a worry. I probably won't like them in that case, no matter how good the grip is.

As I've posted elsewhere, the original Dunlops on my car at 21,900 KM are incredibly noisey once warmed up. By the look of them they still have about 8,000 KM to 10,000 KM left in them. I should point out here that the car was never driven in anger by the original owner, nor is it now by me. I will never know what they were like noise wise when new, because I'm the recent second owner of the car. If they were much quieter when new than now, and the PS4S are only a bit noisier, well then I guess that's okay, it's probably as good as I'm going to get noise wise anyway.

The Original Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres fitted to the FGX XR8, were only cheap entry level tyres in the Sport Maxx range. A member here said he had the upper level Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050+ tyres on his car. He said they had great straight line grip, on a car more powerful than mine, but didn't mention if they were noisey or long lasting as far as I recall.

Last edited by Roger1960; 03-06-2020 at 01:24 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #25
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm hearing mostly great stuff about the Michelin PS4S tyres so far. However, if you found them a bit noisier than the original Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres, on exactly the same car as mine, then that's a worry. I probably won't like them in that case, no matter how good the grip is.
I have done 94,000 km on my FGX XR8, and have done track days, high speed runs, interstate country road blats etc, and had the original Dunflops, Nexens, Khumo PS 91's with 285s on back, and have done almost 20,000 km on Michelin PS4S now.

In terms of noise to my ear the PS4S are not more noisy than the Dunflops, and are quieter than the PS91s.

General Feel

General driving, the PS4S feel incredibly smooth, and I attribute this to very high construction tolerances regarding the tyre being very uniform in circumference, and you really have to drive them to feel this.

The tyre feels "softer" and more cushioning than say the PS91's in general feel when driving over bumps and lumps, but are actually a firm tyre with a slight initial absorbent cushioning.

Grip

These tyres on the front end grip hard, and do not get greasy when you run them hard-so should be pretty capable track tyre.

Rear end- initially I found them average, actually less grip than PS91's at that 90-130 km/h WOT when Khumos were operating in temps above 22 degrees. But the PS4S actually improved with grip with scrubbing in and mileage, and by 5,000 km they started gripping hard at the rear.

Operating Temperature Parameters

The PS91's -rear grip- when the temperature was above 22 degrees with sun on road, have approximate grip to the PS4S. But when the temp dropped below 20 degrees and the road was in the shade- the grip dropped off. And the colder it got the worse the PS91's became.

The PS4S in 8 degrees grips hard- virtually no difference to the tyre operating in 22 degrees and above. It is a phenomenal engineering achievement of creating a tyre that has a very broad performance curve where it is achieving some 90% of max grip across all temperatures- kudos to Michelin.

Wet

Never driven a tyre that is better in the wet. It still gives way, but if you turn off traction control in wet beware that it will snap and you first think jeez this tyre gives little warning and snaps- its just that when you do push it with the PS4s in wet you are going that much faster and using more throttle that when it gives the physics involved with higher speed take over.

But saying that- once the PS4S gives way in the wet, its like you can feel the grains of tar biting into the tyre as it slides and you can feel it biting- bit like smooth sandpaper.

The Dunflops in wet at slower speed felt like driving on ice- there was no biting granular feel of the tyre over tarmac, felt like ice skating.

Steering

The achilles heel of the PS4S. The steering feels reasonably heavy at slow sppeds, and on initial turn in there is that softness. It is not boat like, just a initial lack of precision, which the PS91s had in spades.

The PS91 felt nervy and twitchy on the steering which I liked- quick response- the PS4s is a little delayed, but is still a firm tyre as it does not erode into mass understeer.

But I miss the steering feel of the PS91.

Durability

The PS4S are wearing very very well at 20,000 km at present....

Overall

You will not get a better broadspectrum tyre for all conditions than the PS4S. It has incredible scope to run well in all temperatures, and conditions/dry/rain etc.

They are expensive but I will buy them again.

Hope that helps

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 03-06-2020 at 03:50 PM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #26
borts154
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
I have done 94,000 km on my FGX XR8, and have done track days, high speed runs, interstate country road blats etc, and had the original Dunflops, Nexens, Khumo PS 91's with 285s on back, and have done almost 20,000 km on Michelin PS4S now.

In terms of noise to my ear the PS4S are not more noisy than the Dunflops, and are quieter than the PS91s.

General Feel

General driving, the PS4S feel incredibly smooth, and I attribute this to very high construction tolerances regarding the tyre being very uniform in circumference, and you really have to drive them to feel this.

The tyre feels "softer" and more cushioning than say the PS91's in general feel when driving over bumps and lumps, but are actually a firm tyre with a slight initial absorbent cushioning.

Grip

These tyres on the front end grip hard, and do not get greasy when you run them hard-so should be pretty capable track tyre.

Rear end- initially I found them average, actually less grip than PS91's at that 90-130 km/h WOT when Khumos were operating in temps above 22 degrees. But the PS4S actually improved with grip with scrubbing in and mileage, and by 5,000 km they started gripping hard at the rear.

The PS91's -rear grip- when the temperature was above 22 degrees with sun on road, have approximate grip to the PS4S. But when the temp dropped below 20 degrees and the road was in the shade- the grip dropped off. And the colder it got the worse the PS91's became.

The PS4S in 8 degrees grips hard- virtually no difference to the tyre operating in 22 degrees and above. It is a phenomenal engineering achievement of creating a tyre that has a very broad performance curve where it is achieving some 90% of max grip across all temperatures- kudos to Michelin.

Wet

Never driven a tyre that is better in the wet. It still gives way, but if you turn off traction control in wet beware that it will snap and you first think jeez this tyre gives little warning and snaps- its just that when you do push it with the PS4s in wet you are going that much faster and using more throttle that when it gives the physics involved with higher speed take over.

But saying that- once the PS4S gives way in the wet, its like you can feel the grains of tar biting into the tyre as it slides and you can feel it biting- bit like smooth sandpaper.

The Dunflops in wet at slower speed felt like driving on ice- there was no biting granular feel of the tyre over tarmac, felt like ice skating.

Steering

The achilles heel of the PS4S. The steering feels reasonably heavy at slow sppeds, and on initial turn in there is that softness. It is not boat like, just a initial lack of precision, which the PS91s had in spades.

The PS91 felt nervy and twitchy on the steering which I liked- quick response- the PS4s is a little delayed, but is still a firm tyre as it does not erode into mass understeer.

Durability

Overall

You will not get a better broadspectrum tyre for all conditions than the PS4S. It has incredible scope to run well in all temperatures, and conditions/dry/rain etc.

Hope that helps
Great summary & couldn't agree more.

Did you go straight from the Dunlops to the PS4S's which is what I did? They really are only slightly more noisy than the Dunlops - which you commented on & I do agree with.

I posted this in another thread once, a good comparision between the PS4, PS4S and the PSC2

borts154 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #27
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
The Original Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tyres fitted to the FGX XR8, were only cheap entry level tyres in the Sport Maxx range. A member here said he had the upper level Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050+ tyres on his car. He said they had great straight line grip, on a car more powerful than mine, but didn't mention if they were noisey or long lasting as far as I recall.
I have Dunlop Sport Maxx RT's on the Jaguar. Much better than the lower end Sport Maxx.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #28
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone get outer wear on the fronts with the PS4? Not sure if it's alignment issue or not, but its happened with every set I've owned.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:59 PM   #29
Roger1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post

General Feel

Grip

Wet

Steering

Durability

Overall

Hope that helps

Thanks asagaai for taking the time to post all this info, it has helped a lot.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #30
MR REKLAW
BF XR8 Ute
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Does anyone get outer wear on the fronts with the PS4? Not sure if it's alignment issue or not, but its happened with every set I've owned.
I currently have PS3 on my ute, front left inside is the only issue I have had and it is a alignment issue, that I have now fixed, once back from the panel shop, new PS4 being fitted.

I am now a Michelin fan and won't buy any thing else.

Do you have camber adjusters fitted, I have incremental adjustable type and not shimmed.
2006 BF MKII XR8 Ute,Shockwave Blue.

HERS 2003 LX Focus Sedan,Silver.

Past Rides:- XD Panel Van,XE Panel van,XF Wagon,ED Wagon,BA Fairmont.

Greetings Earthlings.
MR REKLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post