Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Ford Focus Culled to 3 Models.

"Ford’s only Focus wagon and other trim level hatches have been culled.
Ford has dropped four of its seven Focus trims just 18 months after launching the small car in Australia.

Notable removals include top-spec Titanium hatchback and the ST-Line wagon – the only wagon in the range. The revised lineup leaves just three hatchback models to choose from: ST-Line, Active, and the new ST hot hatch.

As we reported earlier this year, Ford was already assessing the viability of the Focus range not long after its introduction."
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...no-more-wagon/
Old 05-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Ford Focus Culled to 3 Models.

ST-Line gets IRS instead of the beam axle now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Af Fordable small Fords are now no longer available.
No Fiesta (except expensive ST)
No Focus Trend.

So cheapest entry to Ford range is 32/33 k on road.

Un a Ford able.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
minheim

With so little promotion any hope of bigger sales was always going to be hard; especially with a 3 cylinder engine that would need some explaining to most consumers notwithstanding what a great engine it is. Ford need to do better with marketing and that has been a weak point for years.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2020, 07:22 PM   #5
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

As long as they don't drop the ST.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2020, 09:03 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its a bit lame they're focusing (lol, I'm here for autographs all day) on SUVs.

They're driving me away from the brand, entry level is now the Fiesta ST.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-06-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

During the last few years of its existence, Holden introduced new cars to their range, very quietly, then gradually dropped them as they didn't sell, Epica, Malibu, the ones with recognisable names, Barina & Astra also quietly disappeared as the company tried to convince customers to buy the sort of car that GMH thought they should buy rather than what they wanted.
Ford is starting to smell a bit like Holden's corpse. You want a Ranger or Everest ….. no worries. Oh, you want something else ? Ummmmmm …………..did some-one say KFC.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ira. Or would you like fries with that. ,!
Old 06-06-2020, 12:52 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The fact that FOA makes little or no profit from mostly $50k-$60k vehicles sold here beggers belief,
no way they're not heavily price transferring profit back to Thailand.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2020, 01:10 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The fact that FOA makes little or no profit from mostly $50k-$60k vehicles sold here beggers belief,
no way they're not heavily price transferring profit back to Thailand.
Huh. Who says they aren’t making profit here? Last i heard was foa was solidly profitable, and the reason they are deleting some of these models is because they are either selling in too small numbers, or not bringing in much in the way of profit to bother keeping selling them.

The ranger, everests and mustangs are cash cows.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:20 PM   #11
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
, and the reason they are deleting some of these models is because they are either selling in too small numbers, or not bringing in much in the way of profit to bother keeping selling them. .
That is General Motors thinking there.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:36 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
That is General Motors thinking there.
GM thinking is bringing in huge numbers based on insane sales predictions, then having to make massive price cuts just to sell them. And then axe it cause they are losing money on every sale.

So not really the same thing. Ford are very conservative and just see how it goes, and make decisions from there. If they can’t make money on it they won’t sell it.

When the aussie dollar was 60 c, where it was until about a week ago, it would have been putting pressure on profit margins for sure. Manufacturers are starting to increase rrp’s to compensate. Although the dollar is creeping up again due to the chaos going on in the us.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Huh. Who says they aren’t making profit here? Last i heard was foa was solidly profitable, and the reason they are deleting some of these models is because they are either selling in too small numbers, or not bringing in much in the way of profit to bother keeping selling them.

The ranger, everests and mustangs are cash cows.
Agree but what I said was that Ford doesn't declare the profits here anymore,
it's rolled into Ford Asia as is China which is stinking up the books big time.
The contribution of FOA's +$3 billion revenue is being totally obscured.

Aside from sales of Ranger, Everest and Mustang, buyers are simply not interested
in Ford's other offerings and that's a damning indictment on Ford's marketing, it's
already overpriced Euro based offerings are just not desirable to enough buyers.
That is entirely Ford's fault, they think we like the same vehicles as the British
but clearly, we prefer different things.

Last edited by jpd80; 06-06-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #14
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
GM thinking is bringing in huge numbers based on insane sales predictions, then having to make massive price cuts just to sell them. And then axe it cause they are losing money on every sale.
So not really the same thing. Ford are very conservative and just see how it goes, and make decisions from there. If they can’t make money on it they won’t sell it..
I think it is pretty much the same. Ford have been culling their range, and this will bring about a downward spiral in ever decreasing circles. If there is nothing to entice buyers into a showroom, they won't come, and overall sales will suffer from lack of exposure.

But, personally, I don't give a rats about either Ford or GM anymore since they shut up shop. It will only be a matter of time before Ford Aus R&D follows GM Holden out the door.
Ryan Walkinshaw must be having sleepless nights thinking about any future for GMSV.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #15
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If there is nothing to entice buyers into a showroom, they won't come, and overall sales will suffer from lack of exposure.
Were the POS bottom of the range Fiestas and Focuses bringing people into show rooms?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2020, 11:59 PM   #16
Eurotrash

It's easy to delete models from your lineup when you don't put any effort into marketing them. Saying … well people just aren't buying them …. is a cheap shot. Of course people aren't buying them, if they don't know about them. Again marketing. Saying … those market segments we're playing in are declining and so we've removed those models … but Ford are also playing in the most popular segments of the market and apart from Ranger and Mustang, they still can't get it right, Ecosport gone, Puma won't be too far behind it, Escape and Endura under performing …….

I never understood why they would and continue to market the hell out of the Ranger and Everest when everyone knows about them and then not give the rest of their lineup the same consideration and thought. So of course people aren't going to buy your Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, etc, when the general population don't know about them and then to blame low sales for their demise, is a cheap shot. Ford once had the most popular lineup of passenger cars in the market and today, nothing. Volkswagen sell plenty of Polo's and Golf's, more than Ford and Kia and Hyundai sell more Picanto's, Rio's, Cerato's, i30's, Elantra's, etc, again more than Ford.

If Ford are just left with Ranger, Everest and Mustang, then so be it. Not capable of anything else.
Eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 02:02 AM   #17
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
Were the POS bottom of the range Fiestas and Focuses bringing people into show rooms?
Yep, the around about $20k starting price on a Focus sure helped. Now all people see is a starting price closer to $30k and away they go to the other brands.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #18
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes. Since 2003.I bought a new LR Focus. A demo LT Focus. A demo LZ Trend and a 2006 base Fiesta and a base 2012 Fiesta.
We still have the 2012 Fiesta and the LZ Trend.
Now there is nothing in my price range at a Ford dealer.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #19
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash View Post
It's easy to delete models from your lineup when you don't put any effort into marketing them. Saying … well people just aren't buying them …. is a cheap shot. Of course people aren't buying them, if they don't know about them. .
Some here may be old enough to remember a Fairlane. What happened with that ?
Similarly, while the Holden Sportwagon was selling heaps with model variations, all you could get from Ford at the time was a plain-burger Falcon wagon, no onions, tomatoes or sauce, ( or even a side order of fries with it ).
Choice of models and equipment level is possibly the main reason Hyundai and Kia are doing so well currently. I don't think Ford design, engineering and reliability are credible selling points anymore.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash View Post
It's easy to delete models from your lineup when you don't put any effort into marketing them. Saying … well people just aren't buying them …. is a cheap shot. Of course people aren't buying them, if they don't know about them. Again marketing. Saying … those market segments we're playing in are declining and so we've removed those models … but Ford are also playing in the most popular segments of the market and apart from Ranger and Mustang, they still can't get it right, Ecosport gone, Puma won't be too far behind it, Escape and Endura under performing …….

I never understood why they would and continue to market the hell out of the Ranger and Everest when everyone knows about them and then not give the rest of their lineup the same consideration and thought. So of course people aren't going to buy your Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, etc, when the general population don't know about them and then to blame low sales for their demise, is a cheap shot. Ford once had the most popular lineup of passenger cars in the market and today, nothing. Volkswagen sell plenty of Polo's and Golf's, more than Ford and Kia and Hyundai sell more Picanto's, Rio's, Cerato's, i30's, Elantra's, etc, again more than Ford.

If Ford are just left with Ranger, Everest and Mustang, then so be it. Not capable of anything else.
There is a new Escape on the way. Expect plenty of marketing to promote it. Same with Puma. They sell into growing markets.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Edit,
New Escape should add fresh legs to FOA's sales and from what I see,
it's a good car like vehicle, it might be just the right mix for our market
Fingers crossed.

Last edited by jpd80; 07-06-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Similarly, while the Holden Sportwagon was selling heaps with model variations, all you could get from Ford at the time was a plain-burger Falcon wagon, no onions, tomatoes or sauce, ( or even a side order of fries with it ).
Choice of models and equipment level is possibly the main reason Hyundai and Kia are doing so well currently. I don't think Ford design, engineering and reliability are credible selling points anymore.
Ford chose the Territory over the Falcon and without it, Ford would have closed down production years ago.

Now, should they have just kept Explorer going and fully funded Falcon and its derivatives?
Possibly but, would a fully fresh Fairlane and Falcon station wagon added to Falcon and ute
would all of that been enough eighteen years ago to lift local sales enough to again fund
FG in 2008?
Man, that's a big call to make but I think it would have ended the same as Holden, don't you?
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #23
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Man, that's a big call to make but I think it would have ended the same as Holden, don't you?
I am sure that the end result would have been the same.

The difference is that in the early '00s, Holden had the exports, and the GM RWD markets supposedly sewn up with the release of the VE.
Ford seemed to be apologetic that they still had the Falcon based range.
But, as most of us here realise, both GM and Ford HQ both wanted the Australian manufacturing operations shut down for the last 40 years. The GFC, GM bankruptcy, and Ford profit seeking in the USA were convenient and timely excuses.
Falcon just faded away, and Holden were crash tackled over the sideline.

The fact that Ford is still selling imported cars, (and Holden isn't) does not make them any more attractive to buyers than any other mainstream brand.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:52 PM   #24
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Yes. Since 2003.I bought a new LR Focus. A demo LT Focus. A demo LZ Trend and a 2006 base Fiesta and a base 2012 Fiesta.
We still have the 2012 Fiesta and the LZ Trend.
Now there is nothing in my price range at a Ford dealer.
That's fair enough, but car yards tend to put the flashest thing out the front to draw in customers. Hell, last time I went into a dealership it was to look at a Mustang (not that I had any intentions of buying one), and after I looked at that, I looked at the other cars.

I don't know the economics of selling new cars, but obviously they thought losing a couple customers buying a 20k Focus was worth it.

Last time I was car shopping I saw Mirages being sold for around 12k, which was about as much as I was looking to spend. It wasn't even remotely enticing, all i could think was how awful it must be.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #25
bb_zetec

Currently the Ranger and Mustang are keeping FOA alive I guess?

Ive not seen many of their other offerings out and about on the road but I dont live in a capital city so maybe the other offerings are more abundant I guess.

The people I know that have falcons want to hold onto them as in their minds their is no real replacement....they will get driven into the ground I guess or kept as a 2nd car to use for long trips etc..

1966 Mustang Convertible - Wimbledon White
- 289ci Windsor - C4 Auto - Power Hydraulic Roof / Factory AC

Previous Fords:
- 2012 FGII XR6 Manual Ute - Kinetic - 1984 XF Fairmont Ghia - Olympic Gold - 1987 XF S Pak - White- 1994 ED Falcon Classic V8 - Polynesian Green - 1999 AU1 Falcon S - Hot Chilli Red
- 2009 LV Focus Zetec 5sp Manual - Black Sapphire
bb_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #26
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_zetec View Post
Currently the Ranger and Mustang are keeping FOA alive I guess?..
So annoyed that Ford didn't try a more affordable 2.0 EB Endura with the 8-speed auto,
that I believe would have been a better counterpoint to Everest diesel range.

No matter, new Escape is fractionally smaller but much better value.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:06 PM   #27
Eurotrash

Quote:
There is a new Escape on the way. Expect plenty of marketing to promote it. Same with Puma. They sell into growing markets.
Sorry, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not? You said Ford and marketing in the same sentence (that isn't related to Ranger, Everest and Mustang).

Like I said, Ford are already in those existing growing markets and they still can't get it right. OK, the Ecosport is a poor example and the current Escape is in runout mode, but what about the Endura? Yes, the name stinks and the fact it's an overpriced 5 seater diesel wagon ….. that no one wants!

We'll see if anything changes come the new Puma and new Escape. Just don't hold you're breath.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:23 PM   #28
Eurotrash

Quote:
I do remember that! I remember when the Laser, Meteor, Telstar, Falcon and its derivatives - Fairmont, Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane and LTD, were all top sellers and include the Econovan and Courier selling in good numbers. The fact that Ford have no presences in these segments of the market today, it a complete joke! The fact that Ford have literally handed the market over to Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai and Kia, is a fundamental problem of not only Ford Australia, but Ford's management, or mismanagement, of our region. You'd think a brand of it's historical presence in this country would put up some kind of fight to Hyundai and Kia at least and go head to head with what they're selling.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #29
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's fair enough, but car yards tend to put the flashest thing out the front to draw in customers. Hell, last time I went into a dealership it was to look at a Mustang (not that I had any intentions of buying one), and after I looked at that, I looked at the other cars.

I don't know the economics of selling new cars, but obviously they thought losing a couple customers buying a 20k Focus was worth it.

Last time I was car shopping I saw Mirages being sold for around 12k, which was about as much as I was looking to spend. It wasn't even remotely enticing, all i could think was how awful it must be.
The base model Focus Trend is about 28.5k on the road. This model (Trend) is being withdrawn. Leaving Focus active and ST line at currently 32.5k on road.
The cheapest Fords will be at least 32.5k. The new incoming Puma small SUV with a 1 litre 92kw 3 cylinder motor will be 33k odd on road.
But you can go to Kia Hyundai Mazda Toyota Skoda VW to name a few and buy sub 25k cars.
There is no affordable entry level Ford.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #30
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

i get the "hunting bigger profits" comment that keeps getting flung about but given the amount of new rangers & mustangs sitting in the ford employee carpark i have to wonder how many are really being sold at full price, I do agree though that it would be nice to have a intro level model that's more at the affordable end especially atm when money is tight & people are cautious re spending where they need too,
Price & reputation must be having a impact on the new focus
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post