Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Do looks really get you a better job? Perhaps

I was reading the career section in today's courier mail, and came across this...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/b...-1226051373423

Quote:
EMPLOYEES are being selected on their appearance over qualifications to suit the company image, writes Michael Lund.

How a candidate looks, dresses and speaks are all part of the "lookness" that employers are using to determine who gets the job.

And there's nothing candidates can do if they feel they have been discriminated against because of their appearance.

Professor Chris Warhurst says discrimination over race, sex, gender and disability during the recruitment process are all covered by the anti-discrimination legislation in Queensland and other states.

But employers are allowed to discriminate against a candidate based on their appearance, he says.

Employers are also allowed to discipline employees over their appearance if they fail to follow a dress code either written or implied and in some cases they can even be sacked.

Warhurst, an expert in employment studies from the University of Sydney, highlighted the issue at a career conference in Cairns during his talk on the importance of being attractive to employers.

He opened the talk with images of Hollywood actor Brad Pitt and the fictional character Gollum from The Lord of the Rings and asked the audience: "Who would you hire?"

He told the conference that studies showed people "perceived to be better looking" were up to five times more likely to be hired over others.

They had better careers and could earn up to 16 per cent more than others doing similar jobs.

Physical appearance also influenced perceptions of job competence and performance.

He said evidence showed this "beauty premium" existed for both men and women across all industries.

Warhurst tells CareerOne that recruitment based on appearance is nothing new but the practice is becoming more explicit.

With 30 per cent of the Australian workforce considered over-qualified, he says employers are looking at "soft skills" such as appearance to help decide who gets the job.

"The degree might get you to the interview but having good soft skills will get you the job," he says.

Warhurst says research in Australia and the UK found that employers favoured appearance and personality over previous job experience and having the right qualifications for the job.

The main reason given for preferring appearance was a desire to conform to a company or brand image.

Customer preference and the local managers' preference were also rated higher than any need to conform to employment law.

Warhurst says the worry for job seekers is that the value of a degree or other professional qualification is being diminished in favour of appearance and he warns that the "beauty premium" may become a "beauty bias".

Queensland's anti-discrimination commissioner Kevin Cocks says his office is often approached by people who believe they have been discriminated against because of their appearance but he is powerless to act under current legislation.

"They're concerned they haven't got a job or have lost a job, or they've been harassed because of their appearance," he says.

Common concerns are about height, weight and body shape. Some are also concerned about birth marks that may be visible or other physical characteristics.

"In Victoria, legislation there protects against discrimination on physical characteristics," he says.

"In Queensland we don't have that."

With the state's anti-discrimination legislation now 20 years old he says it is due for a review and he hopes to see some changes to protect against discrimination on physical characteristics.

However, he does accept that some employers should still be allowed to judge candidates based on appearance "so long as they can justify it as a legitimate requirement of the job".

Warhurst says part of the reason appearance is now rated so highly is a shift away from manufacturing to more service industries.

That means employees are more likely to have direct contact with a company's clients and customers.

"People who made cars on production lines didn't meet customers," he says.

Over the same period, though, Warhurst says there has been a drop in the teaching of basic deportment skills because they were seen as "politically incorrect".

"What's happening now is that employers are concerned that people haven't got these skills and are now offering training," he says.

He is quick to stress that there is no universal standard of appearance or behaviour, and employers are looking to match people to their own individual needs.

"It's not just good looks," he says. "It's about having the right looks."

The main focus is on three areas: • How people dress; • How people speak; • Body language and deportment.

Warhurst says candidates looking for an advantage should check out potential employers to see what value they place on appearance and other "soft skills".

"Go to the company and see how people are dressed," he says.

When it comes to language, Warhurst says most people have two speaking voices.

"You can have the way you speak to your grandmother, which would be very polite, and the other voice is the way you speak to your friends down the pub," he says.

The first voice is the one usually preferred by employers but he says too often candidates use their second voice during the recruitment process.

Warhurst says some CEOs and others looking to improve their career options will have voice training to change the way they speak.

"There's no reason why you can't have a different way of speaking when you're in the workplace," he says.

But he warns that any workplace voice should still be genuine and consistent.

He points to one employer in the hospitality industry that would always telephone candidates in advance of an interview.

"What they wanted to do was ring them up at home when they were not aware to find out what their telephone voice was like," he says.

read more at http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/b...-1226051373423
I know that some recruitment agencies do discriminate against people based on those things that are illegal, but very little can be done to prove it...

So what are your thoughts? Are appearances more important than skills, particularly when as Lund suggests that more than 30% of the workforce are actually over qualified?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Do looks really get you a better job? Perhaps

It's absolutely true. There is a tonne of research about this out there, advertising agencies have been playing on it for decades. Basically, the more attractive you are, the more likely people are to be persuaded by you. How you look can even affect the outcome of cases in the courtroom - baby faced people are more likely to be acquitted in negligence cases because they're seen as more naive and innocent. But in more serious situations, it can work against them because of the perception they're naive.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When was the last time you saw a pretty girl doing a shi**y job ???

That's right - she married a rich guy and plays tennis with other pretty wives while the plain nanny does all the work with the pretty kids.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Looks do play a part. I have helped several friends with resumes and most of them request a recent picture....

But who's to say it wasn't from 5 years ago when you had a full head of hair and less kg lol ;)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
But who's to say it wasn't from 5 years ago when you had a full head of hair and less kg lol ;)
Because then it would not be a recent photo!
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think this article is about simply the way a person looks as it also takes into account how well spoken a person is & how well they dress or groom themselves.

Or put another way if they are a person of a higher class or standard which as was also pointed out can be faked if you have a fake speaking voice that you use at work etc & dress yourself well (even if you would normally not) & I guess also have some degree of natural good looks.

To answer the question though I would say ones ability to do the job well, efficiently & be an asset to the employer would be the most important factors though that does not always mean the best qualified person either as many are highly qualified with degrees etc though are hopeless in a working environment.

However if I was hiring & both applicants had similar skills but 1 was a bit Boganish or rough sounding/ looking while the other had more true class in all 3 areas then I would hire the latter.

For an office, sales, retail type of position... If it was for a bobcat operator or a truck driver I would not care what the person looked like or how they spoke lol

But if the article was just about how good or pretty a person looked thanks to his or her genes that would be another matter as to give a person a job based solely on good looks when they are barely qualified to do it & a bit thick (you know the typical blonde bimbo types) is just wrong but has been going on for a very long time & not only jobs as these types do tend to get things much easier than the average looking person.
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Depends on the profession....

In mine, Qualifications and more importantly experience are paramount. If you don’t have those people tend to get seriously hurt or die, assets worth millions get damaged or destroyed, massive environmental damage can happen with the possibility of jail time and/or huge fines....

Seriously, i don’t care if you have a head like a smashed crab as long as you are competent in your job.....

But then again i guess with office/retail/sales etc image is perceived to be everything, and to be honest, a sales person that looks like Beyonce could quite easily sell me the Opera House.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

I hope I haven't posted a members pic here!

Last edited by thefargo; 22-10-2016 at 09:24 PM.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

or perhaps one of these

Old 08-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

last two, unless you want more

Old 08-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I tried for several years to obtain an Administrative role. I even participated in many mock interviews with employees & their management staff within corporations. They honestly could not see why I was not nailing a position. I was soon to discover that I (being as tame as I can be here) was a male. Thus I didnt have the "talents" for such a job. Disgusting really.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
Emmzy
AU XR8 220

I must say, some employer's suck! i reckon 90% of the time its always done by looks, its starting to make me wonder why, as alot of places i've been to lately, i'm realising no body has a clue how to even do their own job with customer service .... like a couple coffee shops for example lately! these employers really got to realise, looks aint everything! sh*ts me
Old 08-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Depends on the profession....

In mine, Qualifications and more importantly experience are paramount. If you don’t have those people tend to get seriously hurt or die, assets worth millions get damaged or destroyed, massive environmental damage can happen with the possibility of jail time and/or huge fines....
So your not a shelf stacker at Coles.

and if you don't mind me asking, what is it that you do?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by em69zy
I must say, some employer's suck! i reckon 90% of the time its always done by looks, its starting to make me wonder why, as alot of places i've been to lately, i'm realising no body has a clue how to even do their own job with customer service .... like a couple coffee shops for example lately! these employers really got to realise, looks aint everything! sh*ts me
And the sad reality is that generally you either have one or the other, ie. those with great looks can often be, (to be kind), a little vacant.

Though some rotters have it all. Apparently Sophie Monk is pretty smart, and has been very nice looking until the ex (plastic surgeon) got to her.
Cameron Diaz is reputed to be a clever-dick, err ... smarty-pants too.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
Pis-ton broke
Banned

all the ugly people can get cruzie jobs in the public
service, and then sit back and get all the cruzie benifits.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I will recant a couple of stories from my days in recruitment...

We had a client who only wanted asian women...knowing that this kind of discrimination isn't legal, he still asked. His perception was that they had a higher attention to detail and didn't mind doing mundane tasks...a few recruiters actually went out of there way to find asian women for him...I refused. I told him I could find him people who had the skills to do the job he wanted done, but I couldn't give him just asians, whether he decided to employ them, was on his head, not mine.

Similarly, when recruiting for government roles, it was very easy to pick the employees out - they didn't want overachievers, and when we sent them to them...they came back with negative feedback. The skills weren't so much important to them, the ability to take their time, and not think for themselves was (so as not to make others look bad).

I've had a boss tell me that my looks certainly helped me get a job...when he saw my facial expression, he quickly added that I was also the most qualified for the job...

As far as employers not taking into consideration men for 'feminine' roles and women for 'masculine' roles...it stinks, I went house painting with the other half, and to begin with was pretty much ignored by the supervisor, apparently I had no clue (bloke in his mid 60's - women belong in the kitchen type)...

A pretty face might get you somewhere in life, but if you're dumb as dog s*** you will get only get so far...and age catches up with most of us.

I'm in full agreeance with the voice, the softer it is, the less inclined people are to yell at you (I learnt this from being called a nasty 'c' word one night whilst working in security), after that point, sweetness and light on the telephone...people (particularly men) seem to go easy on you.

I find it crappy that employers have started doing this, but I'm by no means surprised.

Sez

Photo's by Sez

Last edited by SEZ213; 08-05-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

virtually everything is based on looks - it has been in human nature from the day we are born. we are attracted to attractive people and sometimes, people to their detriment choose to look past skill and go by looks alone

it has always been this way and always will, you only need to look at a young child - they are more welcoming of a pretty stranger with feminine features, than a 6ft bikie with a bushy beard. for sure some peoples criteria may change, but we always go for the person we figure we can relate to better. it is the same with relationships - most of us don't go out of our way to choose the ugly one, even if they may be a better person & more caring towards us
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
So your not a shelf stacker at Coles.

and if you don't mind me asking, what is it that you do?
Anchor handler/Rig Tender/Supply boat (AHTS) Captain.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ATh..._order&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM-Gg..._order&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlX-V...eature=related

...but we have our fun days....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #19
Pis-ton broke
Banned

that looks like an interesting job!

I,m such a hansome guy, so how come I'm stuck in a sh..hole filthy factory slav,in as a boilermaker??
Old 08-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #20
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
that looks like an interesting job!

I,m such a hansome guy, so how come I'm stuck in a sh..hole filthy factory slav,in as a boilermaker??

Because you don't have big blue eyes, curly blond locks, large firm breasts, lovely long legs, and no gag reflex.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #21
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
Because you don't have big blue eyes, curly blond locks, large firm breasts, lovely long legs, and no gag reflex.
******* Rex, that's a bit rough - I don't have any of those things either...I'm stuffed!

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 08-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
Pis-ton broke
Banned

do b"tch tits count?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #23
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
******* Rex, that's a bit rough - I don't have any of those things either...I'm stuffed!
Geez Sezzy, I'm not allowed out now unless in a full burqua, with a guy following with extra head-bags in case the burqua isn't sufficient for some reason.
One glance from me and toddlers actually die, and old migrant ladies in black sprint away crossing themselves, muttering something about 'El Diablo'.

And no, pis-ton broke, biyatch-tits don't count, though if you have a nicely-rounded bottom there are some opportunities available, or so I've been led to believe ....

Last edited by shedcoupe; 08-05-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Do looks really get you a better job?
Most definitely. I've secured most of my jobs over the phone
Old 08-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #25
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Topic reminds me of this.

3rd starpoint...

[IMG][/IMG]

XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #26
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I dunno about the breasts, waist, and tw*t, but this is a shot of me about to eat a hamburger.
Dja reckon I'll get the job ?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #27
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

If you want to get somewhere in the business world you've gotta play their game
Shirt & Tie, no peircings or tattoos, clean shaven, haircut, not too overweight, look people in the eyes and a nice straight smile and you're 80% there.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #28
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
And no, pis-ton broke, biyatch-tits don't count, though if you have a nicely-rounded bottom there are some opportunities available, or so I've been led to believe ....
Looks like I'm stuffed there too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Most definitely. I've secured most of my jobs over the phone
It certainly would be nice to be able to do that...painting works the same. Offices require one interview, then probably a second interview for the bigger firms...it's enough to make me want to drink...

That ad is seriously funny though, and for some jobs it might be a prerequisite..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
If you want to get somewhere in the business world you've gotta play their game
Shirt & Tie, no peircings or tattoos, clean shaven, haircut, not too overweight, look people in the eyes and a nice straight smile and you're 80% there.
I have three tattoos, and still managed to get jobs all the while having a tongue ring and a nose stud...Some businesses don't deem it important, while others will cry if you have a hair out of place. As a teenager, working for a restaurant, I was actually asked to wear make up...something I despise...

edit: It would appear that more businesses are deeming it important though based on the article...

Sez

Photo's by Sez

Last edited by SEZ213; 08-05-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #29
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yeah, i think 4 or 5 years ago it was a different story, employers were beggars rather than choosers.
In these days of higher unemployment, it's the other way around. Now the employees need to smarten up because there's a far higher competition.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #30
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
In these days of higher unemployment,
Say what?

Not in my line of work.