Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #31
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turbo2005
difficult question. if we knew the answer we would have all gone and bought a GTHO when they where cheaper.

Honestly though, i just can not see an XF S pack being collectable. Understand where Davway is coming from, but the XF's have no real history. least the XD & XE's have a race history, they come in a V8 and there was also the ESP.

XFs have race history.......remember Auscar.

those SVO XF's might be Rare enough to be sought after :
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #32
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay

those SVO XF's might be Rare enough to be sought after :
svo was an aftermarket label used by Dick Johnson and Mick Webb, much like Herrod labels his cars. They are not a factory option, so I don't think they are seen as more collectible as a result. (The only exception to this thinking I can think of on the spot is the Alfa Giaccottolo).
The auscars were a built race car, not a factory muscle car or one that was special. The analogy would be that a v8 supercar has racing history, so my vt s-pac must be worth more.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #33
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
They were XE/XD with XF fronts on them, plus they 302's in them
Old 28-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #34
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
svo was an aftermarket label used by Dick Johnson and Mick Webb, much like Herrod labels his cars. They are not a factory option, so I don't think they are seen as more collectible as a result. (The only exception to this thinking I can think of on the spot is the Alfa Giaccottolo).
The auscars were a built race car, not a factory muscle car or one that was special. The analogy would be that a v8 supercar has racing history, so my vt s-pac must be worth more.
Come again? (on the Giocattolo).

Edit: Nevermind mate, sory about that. I was saft for a second but now I see what you're saying. I wonder if it's anything to do with the bottle of rum you get in the tool kit XD. What you saymakes sense though, I mean look at a Brock HDT commodore versus just a Brock Falcon. I suppose that's a terrible example, but it's the first one I could come up with.

Last edited by Kamshaaft; 28-02-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #35
V8 Man
Excessive Fuel User

A good, clean, rust free, unmolested XF will, in my opinion be worth something in years to come. Despite the fact it has no real racing pedigree or true performance models, it was a popular, volume selling, family car. Which consequently became a first car for many a young p-plater. People tend to become nostalgic about these things as time goes on, recalling family road trips, holidays, cruising, learning to drive,etc. in these cars.
Being that nobody values them, 99 percent end up as scrap metal.
A case in point is my EH, 7 years ago I bought it for $6000, (second owner, 78,000 miles, zero rust, original paint, original purchase documents, first rego receipt, still got the original dealer sticker in the back window!).
It's not a race car (149, 3 speed crash box, wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding) it certainly wasn't rare (they produced over 250,000 EH's), but every time I drive it, some stranger will come up to me and tell me that they learnt to drive in one of those/had one as there first car/etc. I had someone offer me $15,000 for it at a car show last year.
Yes XF's will be worth money, (not musclecar money, but, money),it just takes time.
'10 CX9 Luxury (Family Truckster)
PBF 289 (POWERED BY FORD)Vic Number Plates for sale

Last edited by V8 Man; 28-02-2010 at 12:33 PM.
V8 Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #36
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont know about any of them becoming collectable in the future, after all theres always something better that will come along as a replacement......I think out of the current crop that an unmodified FG F6 would be the one to watch in the future simply because it is the best performance product Ford have produced to date, however dont expect to break even on one for 20 years or more.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #37
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

T3 TE/TS50's. Only small numbers built, last of the windsors, hand built engine, individually numbered and the 'out there' body kit.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #38
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nothing after xe esp
the newer cars like the xr6 turbo/gt etc will hold their value a bit better than most cars but will never go up like the muscle car era cars.
the world has changed alot and most young people around here are driving jap cars and have no interest in cars at all unless its cheap to rego and cheap to run,young people seem to be too interested in blackberry phones,internet and general technology to be even slighlty interested in cars.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #39
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau
nothing after xe esp
the newer cars like the xr6 turbo/gt etc will hold their value a bit better than most cars but will never go up like the muscle car era cars.
the world has changed alot and most young people around here are driving jap cars and have no interest in cars at all unless its cheap to rego and cheap to run,young people seem to be too interested in blackberry phones,internet and general technology to be even slighlty interested in cars.
Id go as far as to say the Homologation special XC Cobra is probably the last truly collectable (by resale definition) Falcon...
IMO nothing since has the historical race heritage and DNA to make it "collectable" if resale value versus new price (the desirability acid test) is a guide...

Old 28-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #40
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Oh I think you need to define what is collectable.

If it aint steel then many people wont touch them, but thats crazy.

IMO you have classic collectables and modern collectables; as time goes on cars in the category change to suit.

So IMO anything <XE is classic. So you have all yoru normal GT's, Coupes etc but I also think Fairlanes will be on the rise, especially K and T codes.

Modern classics, T series, EL2 XR8 and old tickfords, the EB/EL GT, ED Sprint etc.

I dont think any FPV is collectible...yet.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #41
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

IMO you have classic collectables and modern collectables; as time goes on cars in the category change to suit.

So IMO anything <XE is classic. So you have all yoru normal GT's, Coupes etc but I also think Fairlanes will be on the rise, especially K and T codes.

Modern classics, T series, EL2 XR8 and old tickfords, the EB/EL GT, ED Sprint etc.

I get flamed for saying this, but people can't argue it on its merrits; the simple common denominator all the early classic colectable musclecars like GT's, HO's, GTS's, XU1's etc have is Bathurst heritage.
These cars have gone uP in value well above their purchase price very quickly, in some case never fell below their new car price, by the 8-10 year mark even chargers were worth more than their new price.
This, IMO is the acid test for wider desirability or "collectability"
Apply that set of criteria to any other car since the XC cobra and A9X Torana and you have a very short list of mainly HDT commodores and maybe 351 4 spd ESP's, i cant think of another Falcon worth more than its original purchase price at the 8-10 year mark since those Falcons, infact most seem to leveled out at about 1/3 of their new price and have stayed there....

Flame away but argue on trhe basis of logic and facts, not emotive personal wishes....

Old 28-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #42
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

True however upcoming generations dont' share passion or enthusiasm for the old girls. All they want is their latest yuppy mobile with USB etc etc on a novated lease.
Once the baby boomers start falling off the perch the values will drop, somewhat, as the upcoming generations don't have the money nor interest.

The value of the car is only as high as the demand and interest to buyer/s...

Post 2014 i'd expect the I6T variants to be desireable with F6 a future collectors.

T series will hold their own far greater than any BA/F as they weren't mass produced. A bseries GT just doesn't cut it for a collectors car.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 02:27 PM   #43
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

This fixation with race heritage vs collectible doesn't completely wash with me. I can understand the link to a degree and also understand why some would like to collect cars that raced but there are many many cars that raced but are not as collectible as some and many many cars that won but are not as collectible as others? Cobra was beaten by a measly Falcon 500 driven by Murray Carter? Shouldn't that put them above a car that raced for a very short time with not much success and be worth packet loads?

Without looking it up IIRC ... didn't Moffat have his worst year ever in a Cobra? With many of these types of cars it comes down more to the number produced and now available, the looks, the 'I want' factor, the 'My dad had one', the 'Always wanted one back then but couldn't afford it till now', the 'Look at me' factor .... etc. I wouldn't mind a Cobra but race heritage has nothing to do with it, possibly a reason for a few but not, in my opinion a reason for their collectiblilty or value.

There is a lot more luck in investing in cars than anything else. Especially today with so many specials and on going improvements almost what seems monthly.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 28-02-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #44
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy
T3 TE/TS50's. Only small numbers built, last of the windsors, hand built engine, individually numbered and the 'out there' body kit.
Even less T1/2 cars built
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #45
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Any V8 LTD will be worth a bit i think... well anything with a V8 just about...
Old 28-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #46
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Even less T1/2 cars built
Dallas, do you think that makes them collectable though? or just rare? or both?
They made even less BA V8 fairmont ghias and BF Force 8's too dont forget... but id never try to convince anyone they'll ever be collectable..
Being a low build or rare doesnt mean colectable.

Old 28-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #47
Belial
Clevo Mafia Muscle Man

Hopefully my FPV FG GS, 1 of 20 seems a good bet!!

Daily
FPV GS Manual Sedan. (1 of 20)
now 360rwhp thanx to Blue Power Racing
"Global warming..." " I'm doing my part!"

Also a member of the Clevo Mafia.
You hit me, we hit you!
&
Metal Jacket Muscle Car Club
Belial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #48
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't think of a Falcon but I agree with 4vman that if it hasn't raced at Bathurst it's not going to be worth anything much.. ever. If you wanted something modern that will hold it's value you could probably do ok if you bought a Group A VN or something like that. Not sure about the EL GT, you don't seen many around so maybe someone think they are collectable too.

There's going to come a time sooner or later where petrol powered cars are much less common, then maybe the older performance version will go up in value. But they will be so far outdone by electric powered cars performance wise by then you have to wonder why anyone will bother unless it's just to be nostalgic and listen to the sounds
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #49
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Dallas, do you think that makes them collectable though? or just rare? or both?
They made even less BA V8 fairmont ghias and BF Force 8's too dont forget... but id never try to convince anyone they'll ever be collectable..
Being a low build or rare doesnt mean colectable.
If i knew that T series cars were going to be a money maker in the future id have 10 now.
As i said in my previous post i see them holding value a little more then 'mainstream' models. Id hardly put the BA V8 ghia in the same category as a T Series or moreso a Force 8.
IMO its hard to put money on a car that might be collectable you just never know. Look at the cars that are worth money now, ill bet no one would have guessed the GTHO's or GTS monaros would be collectable.
All that said i didnt buy my T2 to be a collectors item i bought it to DRIVE and thats exactly what i do with it. Im not preserving it for the next owner.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 28-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #50
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If i knew that T series cars were going to be a money maker in the future id have 10 now.
As i said in my previous post i see them holding value a little more then 'mainstream' models. Id hardly put the BA V8 ghia in the same category as a T Series or moreso a Force 8.
IMO its hard to put money on a car that might be collectable you just never know. Look at the cars that are worth money now, ill bet no one would have guessed the GTHO's or GTS monaros would be collectable.
All that said i didnt buy my T2 to be a collectors item i bought it to DRIVE and thats exactly what i do with it. Im not preserving it for the next owner.
Yes.. at the end of the day its more about the driving enjoyment they bring than anything they "might" be worth many years down the track.
That said GTHO's were "collectable" basically from day 1, none of them really depreciated at all.
Anyone who thinks they'll make money from collecting cars now is in for a shock...
People who collect cars simply because they love them gain far more than money from ownership and "collecting"...

Old 28-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #51
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gtho's have always been collectable,infact in most cases the xy gtho has sold for more than it cost new as soon as the supercar scare shut everything down.i know people who were paying 10k for phase 3's in the early 80's.the phase 3 has always been a collectable car but it wasnt untill the last 10 years it has exploded in price.i also know of r/t chargers that were sold for more than they were worth new in the early 80's.
in most cases the true muscle cars have always been collectable and most have been worth more than new since the 70's.
for a new gt/cobra etc to be around that mark of collectabilty the ba gt which is nearly 10 years old should be selling for around 150k but they can be had for around 30k.
the world is changing at a rapid rate and unfortunatly most people dont rate new cars as a interest as such its simply transport to them while they twitter away to their friends.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #52
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Spot on Norm if i were to collect cars it would be for driving pleasure not money value
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 28-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #53
Bam
XB,XF,ZL,EA,EL,BA,SY,SZII

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland_ford
hi everyone thought id start a thread about about what cars are going to be collectables in the near future and what cars all you guys think are going to be worth alot of money 1 day as i am a collector . i i have an 85 xf spack does any1 reckon these will be worth money or are they always going to be worth less i just wanna know everyones thoughts cheers
Quote:
V8 XC/XD Sundowner panelvans or any ford panel van before XF !! they have all rotted away it seems
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER
ESP's, they were the last of the ol Clevo, the interior in these cars was magic.They were and still are a great looking motor car and quite unique.
Assuming that models basically become collectible in chronological order, then where are we at right now? By my definition I think that the XC GXL, Moffat Special and all coupes are already collectibles. So what next?....

XD; Frankly I'm struggling to think of any particularly special variants apart from the Sundowner (which is a very niche market), so maybe anything with a V8 that's well optioned, but it will take a long time.

XE; I wholly agree with HEMI POWER. Aren't the ESPs already pulling good money? Other than that, same for the XD I think.

XF; The only variants in this model that strike me as becoming collectibles are the EFIs, starting with the nicer ones including the 25th Anniversary. This was the last of the 4.1L engines which had a unique EFI system. It wasn't a very good system though, and it'll take a long time before anyone loves them again I think.
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #54
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland_ford
hi everyone thought id start a thread about about what cars are going to be collectables in the near future and what cars all you guys think are going to be worth alot of money 1 day as i am a collector . i i have an 85 xf spack does any1 reckon these will be worth money or are they always going to be worth less i just wanna know everyones thoughts cheers

Be careful of the knockoffs, many tried to copy the S Packs by changing the seats and dash then adding the sticker pack.

Buyer beware my friend, you stand to lose at least $50.00 if you buy an GL in disguise.....
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #55
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Be careful of the knockoffs, many tried to copy the S Packs by changing the seats and dash then adding the sticker pack.

Buyer beware my friend, you stand to lose at least $50.00 if you buy an GL in disguise.....

Old 28-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #56
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

love to know how a discussion about future collectible cars became a swipe at XR6T/F6 owners? really guys there are jerks that can be found in any make/model of car why does the XR6T/F6 owners continually have to be the brunt of so many barbs all the time, see very few owners of them taking swipes at people that own V8s at every opportunity. :

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #57
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
love to know how a discussion about future collectible cars became a swipe at XR6T/F6 owners? really guys there are jerks that can be found in any make/model of car why does the XR6T/F6 owners continually have to be the brunt of so many barbs all the time, see very few owners of them taking swipes at people that own V8s at every opportunity. :
Dont make me post my bridge pic
Never said a bad thing about the XR6T except its the new VL Turbo (and that wasnt meant in a bad way)
I own an AU and a T series at that, the butt hole of a lot of jokes etc, under the bonnet is the venerable Windsor V8 also the cause of many jokes, ever heard the word WHEEZA? So just settle a bit.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 28-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #58
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Maybe the "last" Aussie turbo XR6T ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #59
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau
nothing after xe esp
and corey what ever his name is hair cuts and glasses...
as for the reply from big_landau,
toooooo right!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
Anything pre-fuel injection is a collectable IMHO
BRING BACK THE CARBY - LOL
daewoo lanos??? lol...

my xa van and the mrs esp will some day buy us a nice house...lol..
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #60
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Dont make me post my bridge pic
Never said a bad thing about the XR6T except its the new VL Turbo (and that wasnt meant in a bad way)
I own an AU and a T series at that, the butt hole of a lot of jokes etc, under the bonnet is the venerable Windsor V8 also the cause of many jokes, ever heard the word WHEEZA? So just settle a bit.
Agree Dallas, some people need to harden up and see the lighter side of life..