Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: do you have insurance
NO I cant afford it 82 7.63%
NO insurance wont touch me the driver 22 2.05%
NO insurance dont like my car too many mods etc 35 3.26%
NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default who drives WITHOUT insurance? poll

just thought about a couple of people at work who dont have insurance and wondered how many others there are?
i mean at minimum third party only as in if you hit the proverbial mercedes etc. give a reason if you want or post a reason for someone you know, the two blokes at work are just too tight.
NOT THE third party INSURANCE INCLUDED IN REGO, THATS FOR PERSONAL INJURY only

Last edited by deankdx; 29-03-2005 at 09:10 PM. Reason: NOT THE INSURANCE INCLUDED IN REGO, THATS FOR PERSONAL INJURY
Old 26-03-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps you might want to post an actual poll. Because if anyone admits to driving without at least 3rd party property insurance they are going to get a serve from me.
Old 26-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
Perhaps you might want to post an actual poll. Because if anyone admits to driving without at least 3rd party property insurance they are going to get a serve from me.
there is a poll, i just thought people might want to give their own reaons also, the poll results are annonynous arent they?

Last edited by deankdx; 26-03-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 26-03-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

This might need to be called the "stay away from me on the road" thread. If you dont have insurance you cant afford the car.
And before anyone cares to jump on me and say "its too expensive for young people" remember that we have all been there before. I had 3rd party for many years...but I still had it. I didnt care if my car was busted up but hitting something like a turbo Bently R (almost hit one on Toorak Rd in the rain) or a Porsche 911 Turbo (they have better brakes than my XD at the time... was soooooooo close) certainly makes you appreciate insurance.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 26-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #5
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Where's the 'yes' options? You can only answer that poll if you don't have insurance!

I found I couldn't get third party on the EL because the replacement value was too high, but full comprehensive was only 3-400 bucks.
Old 26-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

added a Yes option.

Old 26-03-2005, 11:46 AM   #7
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=swanny]Where's the 'yes' options? You can only answer that poll if you don't have insurance!

yeah i forgot i titled the thread, "who drives WITHOUT isurance" so she'll be right.
Old 26-03-2005, 11:48 AM   #8
parawolf
beep beep

I could NEVER drive with insurance of any kind - and i've been quite vocal on this issue in the past.

If you cannot afford even 3rd party insurance, then you cannot afford the car you are driving.

If the state government brings in compulsory advanced driving training for P platers, then you cannot afford to drive.

If you have unroadworthy tires, then you cannot afford to drive.

If you cut your suspension (ryobi tuned suspension) to get your car 'lower' because you cannot afford lowered shocks, then you cannot afford the modification.

Basically if you cannot afford the basic requirements to drive a car, then you should not be on the road.
Old 26-03-2005, 11:48 AM   #9
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
added a Yes option.
thankx
Old 26-03-2005, 11:51 AM   #10
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Since accidents are never planned or intended, you'd have to be brain-dead to be without some kind of insurance.
Old 26-03-2005, 11:59 AM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I know I wouldn't like to be without insurance. How would you be if you went through a shop front or a house without it? Bankrupt I'd say.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 26-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #12
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
Why?

If someone doesn't wish to have insurance that's there choice.

If you are that concerned, then the responsibility is on yourself to insure your own goods.

I have a very good friend in QLD who insures nothing. I've also had many discussions with him about running into expensive vehicles, etc. His answer is simple and always the same, if it's his fault he'll pay, however he'll be damned if he'll pay for insurance which he may never use.

Rick.
Old 26-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #13
neb
hibernating

i had full comp (over $2000 per year), then i had third party ($600ish i think), when it expired about 6 months ago I havn't bothered to renew it. only reason i had full comp was because i had to with my loan, and the third party i had wouldn't of covered me anyway because of vehicle mods. in my opinion its a bit of a waste of money, i think the chance of me hitting another car is pretty slim. i think you would be better off setting up a seperate account and putting your insurance money in there... at least then its not wasted money if you don't have an accident.
Old 26-03-2005, 12:22 PM   #14
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb
i had full comp (over $2000 per year), then i had third party ($600ish i think), when it expired about 6 months ago I havn't bothered to renew it. only reason i had full comp was because i had to with my loan, and the third party i had wouldn't of covered me anyway because of vehicle mods. in my opinion its a bit of a waste of money, i think the chance of me hitting another car is pretty slim. i think you would be better off setting up a seperate account and putting your insurance money in there... at least then its not wasted money if you don't have an accident.
i'll give you an example. i had a motorbike accident about 11years ago at 60km/h i did 3 grand damage to the back of a then 6 grand VH commodore, now with inflation etc that car would be equivalent to 12 grand VT prob say 6 grand damage, 600 bux a year for ten years risk, now think what if its a brand new BA 15 GRAND DAMAGE yep. havent reached the mercedes yet.
Old 26-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #15
Brute33
Boss 350

I never have , and never will, drive a car without insurance as it goes against my principles. If you can't afford the insurance , then you shouldn't be driving the car .
Third party property insurance should be made mandatory when registering / reregistering a car.
Old 26-03-2005, 01:10 PM   #16
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute33
I never have , and never will, drive a car without insurance as it goes against my principles. If you can't afford the insurance , then you shouldn't be driving the car .
Third party property insurance should be made mandatory when registering / reregistering a car.
I'm a 100% with you. I carn't afford not to have insurance if I do hit something. A few $100 a year is easyer to find than many $1000 in one hit.
Old 26-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #17
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I got both my cars insured but I dont insure my motorbike. Why you ask? Well, at $6000 for a $19000 motorbike, I simply cant justify the monies!! Before I turned 21, my premim was $5000 for the XR and $2500 for the Peugeot. Now its only $2800 and $1300 respectivly. How can people be expected to pay that much insurance?!

And with Third Party, are we talking about CTP or Third Party Property?
Old 26-03-2005, 01:24 PM   #18
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
I got both my cars insured but I dont insure my motorbike. Why you ask? Well, at $6000 for a $19000 motorbike, I simply cant justify the monies!! Before I turned 21, my premim was $5000 for the XR and $2500 for the Peugeot. Now its only $2800 and $1300 respectivly. How can people be expected to pay that much insurance?!

i meant third party property. its in the first post.
compulsary third party is included in rego at least in vic, and only covers personal injury for earthlings, that is still conditional and requires a licence or permit, rego and not be over the BAC content on you're licence(eg 00 P plates .05 full license)
Old 26-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #19
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez

But hang on, under 21 you have to expect high insurance, particularly if you have a BA XR8, aftermarket wheels (2" bigger), and modified. Sorry but as a RRP that car would be over $50,000; and as a under 21 (hell under 25) you are a great 'at risk' customer. If you own such a car, at such a young age, you have to expect high insurance prices. And if you cannot afford the insurance on such a car, don't bitch about it. If you had a $30,000 focus or $20,000 Fiesta and were paying $5k for insurance, then that would be something to complain about (depending on your car history of course).

I figure that if you are able to own such a car, and such an early age, then you can afford the insurance as well.

Also the insurance on the bike, that isn't for covering you so much as covering the damage that would get done to other vehicles in the inevitable accident. Basically if you have to brake hard the possibility of ditching your bike is great. Once that happens the bike is like dry ice on water, it will just skate along the surface until it hits something and stops. This means the bike is a write off, and probably $5000 damage to whatever it hits.
Old 26-03-2005, 01:37 PM   #20
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Well, the way I look at it, I'm 100% comp insured for both my cars. I could spent the money on go fast mods or pretty rims etc but my priorities are insurance first.

Of course, if I'm hit by a non insured person...I dont really care. My insurance will cover me and what they do to the other person is not my problem. Of course, if you are the one without insurance and have a $10K bill and court action from the insurance agency.. I'm sure you will not be sleeping well for a while.

Old 26-03-2005, 01:41 PM   #21
paul7v7
bring it on

i have always had insurance. 1 week after i bought my BA some clown ran into the back of it. He had no insurance. I thought great here we go. So any ways took down his details called RACV (who i am with) and told them. Basically once i got vicroads to call RACV then all was sweet all i had to do was get the car fixed and never heard anything later about it. I wouldn't EVER go without insurance.
Old 26-03-2005, 02:00 PM   #22
rob_o

I didnt have any insurance on my first car, simply because no insurance company would insure anything older than 1970, their databases didnt go that far back! Shannons didnt wanna get involved coz I was 17. And this was just for third party on a $2,000 car! Finally found an insurance company who did insure me.

But now I wouldnt drive without 3rd party. Its just too risky I reckon.
Old 26-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #23
LUXO_8
windsor user

i learnt the hard way that you need to have insurance.
long story short, i pulled out of a giveway intersection and got hit by a car that run the red light like 20 meters up the road, its a hard intersection to explain....... anywayz the first 2 years of my driving life was spent paying that one off, 3k to an XF ghia and 2k to my old ute.

the NC has always had full comp, its only like 500 a year which i think is pretty good, considering its a V8, lowered, exhaust and wheels. i pay it off by the month, its only like 50 or so a month..

as has been said, i'd rather pay more in the long run, than have to come up with the costs of repairing another car on the spot if im in an at fault accident
Old 26-03-2005, 02:07 PM   #24
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
the first 2 years of my driving life was spent paying that one off, 3k to an XF ghia and 2k to my old ute.
Now replace XF Ghia for Porsche 911 and a rebound of an S series Merc and you would be paying off for life... or bankrupt and never have a loan for the next 10 years.
Wayne, you copped it bad but you learnt and now see the value. Overall, you got off light and made a smart decision based on it.

Old 26-03-2005, 02:10 PM   #25
LUXO_8
windsor user

yeah exactly! it was a wakeup thats for sure
Old 26-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #26
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Why?

If someone doesn't wish to have insurance that's there choice.

If you are that concerned, then the responsibility is on yourself to insure your own goods.

I have a very good friend in QLD who insures nothing. I've also had many discussions with him about running into expensive vehicles, etc. His answer is simple and always the same, if it's his fault he'll pay, however he'll be damned if he'll pay for insurance which he may never use.

Rick.
this has to be one of the better ones from you Rick.
If some uninsured bastard crashes into my car or house or anything... then they will be in a world of hurt
If you cannot afford to insure your car with at least third party property then get the hell off the roads.
Your mate is a fool.. it's his choice and I hope he never has to find out just how stupid it is. He better have a lot of money saved.... if he hits something expensive or even better, something else insured, he better get used to cuddling Bubba.
I hate paying for insurance which I may not need but I would never go without it. I's amazing how much of a tightarse people can be.

edit: I am dismayed that there are at least three people on this forum with no insurance

Last edited by XA-Coupe; 26-03-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 26-03-2005, 02:18 PM   #27
pauly85
commodore bogan

i used to think insurance was a waste of money......"ill never have an accident thats my fault" although i have always had at least third party, when ever it comes to "that" time of year i always used to crack it,

till one morning driving to work, nothing unusual, took the same way i always go, wasnt up late the night before, all of a sudden BANG, straight up the back or a patrol camper, then BANG, pushed him into a brand spankers honda, after my car was written off i was basically thanking the insurance company, all of a sudden $600 a year is nothing compared to the repair costs of 2 cars

u can never EVER no when your going to have an accident, or if its going to be your fault, i felt bad for damaging 2 other cars that wernt mine, i cant imagine how id feel if i had to pay full cost of their repairs and a written off car sitting in my driveway
Old 26-03-2005, 02:26 PM   #28
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Now replace XF Ghia for Porsche 911 and a rebound of an S series Merc and you would be paying off for life... or bankrupt and never have a loan for the next 10 years.
Wayne, you copped it bad but you learnt and now see the value. Overall, you got off light and made a smart decision based on it.
Their is alot of poeple who own these type of cars that don't have any insurance on their cars.
Old 26-03-2005, 02:27 PM   #29
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmcginley
But hang on, under 21 you have to expect high insurance, particularly if you have a BA XR8, aftermarket wheels (2" bigger), and modified. Sorry but as a RRP that car would be over $50,000; and as a under 21 (hell under 25) you are a great 'at risk' customer. If you own such a car, at such a young age, you have to expect high insurance prices. And if you cannot afford the insurance on such a car, don't bitch about it. If you had a $30,000 focus or $20,000 Fiesta and were paying $5k for insurance, then that would be something to complain about (depending on your car history of course).

I figure that if you are able to own such a car, and such an early age, then you can afford the insurance as well.

Also the insurance on the bike, that isn't for covering you so much as covering the damage that would get done to other vehicles in the inevitable accident. Basically if you have to brake hard the possibility of ditching your bike is great. Once that happens the bike is like dry ice on water, it will just skate along the surface until it hits something and stops. This means the bike is a write off, and probably $5000 damage to whatever it hits.
Iv'e just turned 2o and bought my Ba xr8 when i was 19. To insure my EF xr8 for $16,ooo it was going to cost me $5,ooo in my name. TO insure a MKII Ba xr8 it was going to cost $515o, we all know which car i'd rather insure. Why should i be stung with such a high premium because i want a nice car.

I agree with the comp third party bit as i'd kill anyone who wrote my car off and didn't have insurance.
Old 26-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #30
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
Their is alot of poeple who own these type of cars that don't have any insurance on their cars.
They also have very good lawyers. In the end, if you hit one and its your fault... or even if its not and they have insurance and you dont... your screwed. Not worth the risk.

Closed Thread