Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-08-2011, 12:05 AM   #91
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Just a clarification guys it is CAT that now owns O&K & Bucyrus mining equipment. Maybe try labour hire companies as well, usually 3 months trial, no holiday pay, sick leave, but the dollars are good. If you are keen & talented, drug free, & of sober habits, you will normally be signed over pronto.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #92
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
I want to get into the mines as a cleaner or a kitchen assistant , i been trying for a very long time
Try look up a company called ESS on the internet. They service alot of mines with the kitchen and cleaning of rooms eyc.
Winter XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #93
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Anyone heard of HWE Mining? They are in the middle of a huge recruitment drive.
Yes i used to work for them up until Nov last year when Newmont took over the site. So now i work for newmont.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #94
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guys, i work in a remote gold mine near central aus. We do 2 wks on, 1 wk off. 7 nights, shift change, 7days then time off. Employer is Newmont. I got a job as an underground pump fitter, no mining experience. Im on a lower bracket pay and i earn 125 000+, get yearly bonus of 5.5%, full family cover private health provided, plus an allowance for living in NT of 6 000 per year, 25 days annual leave per year. But we do work 12 hour days plus 30 min travel to and from the site each day, food and rooms supplied. My fiance also got a job as an underground truck driver with a car lisence and no previous experience. At the moment, they are chasing a number of jobs including underground truck drivers, auto electritions, diesel fitters, car mechanics etc. Look up Newmont.com and the site is called Callie Gold Mine (also known as The Granites), people sometimes use this place to get experience in the mines because they hire alot of 'green people'. Jobs are FIFO from Darwin, Alice Springs and Perth. Sometimes they will fly you in from alot of other places, depends how much they need the position filled.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #95
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter XR8
Hey guys, i work in a remote gold mine near central aus. We do 2 wks on, 1 wk off. 7 nights, shift change, 7days then time off. Employer is Newmont. I got a job as an underground pump fitter, no mining experience. Im on a lower bracket pay and i earn 125 000+, get yearly bonus of 5.5%, full family cover private health provided, plus an allowance for living in NT of 6 000 per year, 25 days annual leave per year. But we do work 12 hour days plus 30 min travel to and from the site each day, food and rooms supplied. My fiance also got a job as an underground truck driver with a car lisence and no previous experience. At the moment, they are chasing a number of jobs including underground truck drivers, auto electritions, diesel fitters, car mechanics etc. Look up Newmont.com and the site is called Callie Gold Mine (also known as The Granites), people sometimes use this place to get experience in the mines because they hire alot of 'green people'. Jobs are FIFO from Darwin, Alice Springs and Perth. Sometimes they will fly you in from alot of other places, depends how much they need the position filled.
Hey mate, any numbers I can ring? Interested in the underground driver position.

Thanks much.

All those positions want 12 months experience though.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2011, 11:31 PM   #96
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yea they say they want 12 months experience but they cant get it because there are too many mines looking for people at the moment. Ill see if i can find a number for HR.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #97
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damo, i found one for myself that you wanna do, Blast hole driller in a town 45mins from my local town I applied, fingers crossed
Old 08-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #98
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Read through this !

http://asls.com.au/EducationTraining...FQEDHAodyxlT5w
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #99
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

im currently driving trucks at Eaglefields Mine near Glenden, little on pit operation, i was a clean skin just over a year ago, got in through a mate, accommodation is a big factor, if you have accommodation in a town like Moranbah, Dysart, Middlemount, Tieri or even Emerald you will find it easier to get it becuase mines or labour hire dont want to pay accommodation for Clean Skins.
im only doing it for the money working away from family sucks, im currently doing 7 on 7 off which isnt too bad.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #100
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

http://www.tandemhealth.com.au/south...minations.html
Old 08-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #101
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicksy
im currently driving trucks at Eaglefields Mine near Glenden, little on pit operation, i was a clean skin just over a year ago, got in through a mate, accommodation is a big factor, if you have accommodation in a town like Moranbah, Dysart, Middlemount, Tieri or even Emerald you will find it easier to get it becuase mines or labour hire dont want to pay accommodation for Clean Skins.
im only doing it for the money working away from family sucks, im currently doing 7 on 7 off which isnt too bad.
I thought you guys got put up in the Sodexo camp? I had no experience and i get the good rooms at the moment at the camp. I know a mate who is with VLI at north goon who was kicked from camp as there wasnt enough room for ngc employees and WDS.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #102
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
Be warned, Westrac work you hard, & only pay reasonably well.
LOL. You worked at Westrac? Remember, Kerry Stokes is paying your paypacket.
Have a mate that I worked with here in Vic, who is/was working for Westrac in Newman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGT4me
Just a clarification guys it is CAT that now owns O&K & Bucyrus mining equipment. .
Bucyrus I know of, not sure about O&K. Unless it's joint venture (buyout package).
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #103
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Listening to you guys that say theres loads of work in the mines, there may be but the only way to get a job is who you know, im a drillers offsider up north and i have hr and all this other stuff and for the life of me i cant even drive dump trucks coz i dont have experience.
How the hell can i get experience if i cant get a job.
its harder than you think to go to the mines.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #104
mickbundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76
Listening to you guys that say theres loads of work in the mines, there may be but the only way to get a job is who you know, im a drillers offsider up north and i have hr and all this other stuff and for the life of me i cant even drive dump trucks coz i dont have experience.
A lot of people could try something different and pay for a training course driving Dumpies, instead of sitting around complaining no one will give them a go. Help themselves and then the companies might help too.
And please this is not a put down I see heaps of people complaining no one will give them a go.But the people will not help themselves either If you were in charge of a mine would you put someone on a $2000,000 truck with out experience I don't think so unless you were one of there relatives.lol true but

Last edited by geckoGT; 08-08-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Cleaning it of personal attacks
mickbundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #105
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Listening to you guys that say theres loads of work in the mines, there may be but the only way to get a job is who you know.
To be honest mate, i do believe this to be correct in alot of cases. It does appear that alot of people do get jobs in the mines by WHO they know and not WHAT they know!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #106
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan
I thought you guys got put up in the Sodexo camp? I had no experience and i get the good rooms at the moment at the camp. I know a mate who is with VLI at north goon who was kicked from camp as there wasnt enough room for ngc employees and WDS.

yeah im with machmahons and stay at that camp, machmahons have their own area way down the back there, best camp i have stayed in, cheap bar is bad though, i am there all the time
Old 08-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #107
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They chasing people at mcmahons?
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #108
Road Games

Cool Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan
They chasing people at mcmahons?
Dear Darren

Thank you for your interest in the position of Experienced Mining Operators.

We are currently in the process of reviewing resumes and will be in contact should we want to progress with your application.

If you haven't heard from us within two weeks it will indicate that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.

All our open vacancies are posted on our website, so please continue to search for any other job vacancies that are of interest to you.

Once again, thank you for your interest in Macmahon.

Kind regards,
Macmahon Recruitment

*Think Safety, Act Safely*

http://macmahon.bigredsky.com/
Old 09-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #109
Road Games

Question Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
I am going through this process right now mate , dont be dis-heartened any courses or inductions i do i will post what is involved and the cost as well ...

All my experience in the past counts for nil apparently.. while i am typing this i received 2 calls both being very honest about my chances from being out of the industry for so long .. also the induction course i just signed up which came into effect on the 1/7/11 may not be as helpful as first thought as i need to get my logbook filled out on site .. hmm ..need a job to get the book filled out cant go on site without a filled out and signed off book !!

I will keep those interested updated because if i can get back in, then anyone can .. but it takes signing up at a lot of different sites and companies and i'm still not sure at my age if i ever will get that type of job again?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #110
AGS302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
I want to get into the mines as a cleaner or a kitchen assistant , i been trying for a very long time
Don't expect to get the big pay packets that the miners get. I'm head chef at a 400 room accomodation village between Glenden and Moranbah. Sure the money is great for hospitality work but not anywhere near what the miners are paid. Have a look on the www.compass-group.com.au website.

My father is the Surface Operations Manager at the largest coal producer in QLD(Oaky Creek Coal) and I could have a job there in a heartbeat, but there is that self satisfaction you get from working for what you achieve in life without expecting someone to just give you a start.
AGS302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #111
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueprint XR8
Don't expect to get the big pay packets that the miners get. I'm head chef at a 400 room accomodation village between Glenden and Moranbah. Sure the money is great for hospitality work but not anywhere near what the miners are paid. Have a look on the www.compass-group.com.au website.

My father is the Surface Operations Manager at the largest coal producer in QLD(Oaky Creek Coal) and I could have a job there in a heartbeat, but there is that self satisfaction you get from working for what you achieve in life without expecting someone to just give you a start.
Wow !! You , my boy need to be cloned !! Good on you............
Old 09-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #112
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbundy
A lot of people could try something different and pay for a training course driving Dumpies, instead of sitting around complaining no one will give them a go. Help themselves and then the companies might help too.
And please this is not a put down I see heaps of people complaining no one will give them a go.But the people will not help themselves either If you were in charge of a mine would you put someone on a $2000,000 truck with out experience I don't think so unless you were one of there relatives.lol true but
I'm happy to pay for a dump truck driving course if it will help get a job. But if I do a course in NSW will that count for anything if applying for positions in Qld or WA?
Is there a qualification that is good for all states? Does the same go for bulldozer operator?
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #113
Road Games

Anybody interested in the jobs i come across being posted in here ?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #114
hillbilly5.0
Starter Motor

im a trainee driller and its tough to get in and it so true what they
its not what you know its who you know
hillbilly5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #115
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly5.0
im a trainee driller and its tough to get in and it so true what they
its not what you know its who you know
It can help, but it's not essential. I got in about 7 years ago without anybodies help. Did the inductions and medical that where required out of my own pocket and then sent resumes to everyone. Got the contact number for the boss of a small contract operation and rang him every day or two until he gave me a job
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #116
bawag

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Providing easy to follow photo tutorials for members on how to replace tierod ends on a Cortina. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Anybody interested in the jobs i come across being posted in here ?
Sure am Daz!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #117
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
LOL. You worked at Westrac? Remember, Kerry Stokes is paying your paypacket.
Have a mate that I worked with here in Vic, who is/was working for Westrac in Newman.

Bucyrus I know of, not sure about O&K. Unless it's joint venture (buyout package).
Long story short, O&K was "absorbed" by Terex years ago in Australia,Unit Rig name slowly vanished off the electric drive trucks. These trucks became Terex MT Series of trucks. ie MT 33OO MT 440O & a prototype MT6300 electric drive truck. These trucks are used @ Syncrude Canada & Sino Iron Ore in the Pilbara. Around 12ish months ago Bucyrus (of drag line fame ) purchased Terex Heavy Mining Gear. The deal included all the trucks & shovels & excavators. Just recently CAT pounced & purchased all the Bucyrus Operations world wide, CAT,now have what they wanted, access to O&K's Tripower System & a proven competitor to Komatsu's Electric drive trucks. From what I'm hearing, your local friendly Cat Dealer in each state, will be selling servicing & repairing O&K Shovels as well, the hot gossip is the O&K name will now disappear as well.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #118
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

The O&K name disappeared when Terex bought into the equation.
The site I work at bought 3 new RH200HD face shovels and 6 MTU4400 trucks in 1999. The diggers were labelled Terex back then and all parts carried the Terex branding. No O&K name in site.

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #119
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
The O&K name disappeared when Terex bought into the equation.
The site I work at bought 3 new RH200HD face shovels and 6 MTU4400 trucks in 1999. The diggers were labelled Terex back then and all parts carried the Terex branding. No O&K name in site.
I will try & get some pix, next time I'm back on site. O&K were red in colour until the Terex "acquisition" The old ? RH400 will be painted yellow, fitted with a new Cat engines, which I am led to believe look alot like a MTU Engine.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #120
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

http://www.news.com.au/business/meta...-1226111593498

Well said sir..........

Quote:
THE head of major mining company has described the Australian workforce as suffering from "rich country's disease" and says they are "****ing away" the nation's economic strength.
Andrew Michelmore, the CEO of China Minmetals-owned MMG, said Australian workers are too comfortable living the good life, and are not willing to strive for excellence and make a big enough effort within the workforce, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.

Mr Michelmore, former head of Western Mining, used Australian British Chamber of Commerce lunch address to highlight ongoing worker shortages in the Western Australian mining industry.

His criticism of the workforce was part of a warning that Australia was in danger of wasting the resources boom and could hurt the trade relationship with China.

Mr Michelmore pointed to workers' "reluctance to drive even 25km to get a job" and the need for more older people and women to return to the workforce.

Mr Michelmore also said that “airy fairy” attitudes and idealism were damaging the tenacity of the Australian workforce, and said he was worried that the lackadaisical attitude would negatively impact Australia’s trade relationships with China.

Mr Michelmore said "the best thing that happened to Australia in the 1990s was that it was bloody tough", and that while Europe and the United States had made the most of the internet boom, Australia was lagging behind in "an old smokestack economy, digging holes with dirty faces".

"We're wanting to do all the things that only rich countries can do - we're engaging in airy-fairy altruism. We're now thinking that everyone's got a lot, so let's share it around. We've abandoned the drive for excellence. We're going backwards."

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post