Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-02-2009, 03:01 AM   #1
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default your thoughts on the following exhaust system?

Just contacted my local exhaust place.........they said they would "normally use Lukey extractors and an Auspak system on this car"

Anybody have any experience with Lukey headers? I know their exhausts are pretty decent, but not too sure about the headers....

And has anybody heard of Auspak? I certainly haven't.......any feedback??

Old 19-02-2009, 03:55 AM   #2
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Lukey headers generally have press bends in their pipes which restricts flow at higher rev ranges.
They are an ok choice if your wanting some extra poke in the lower-mid rev range. They are more affordable than other brands.
On a positive note, they have an excellent throbby note that is remenisent of a v8.

The auspak pipes i have never heard of.

I would recommend getting a mandrel bent Redback 2.5" system with a straight thru centre offset glass pack muffler.

Alternate popular header choices are pacemaker, genie, HM, and Jim Mock.

But it depends on how serious you are with power, sound and price.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2009, 05:48 AM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Lukey stuff is great, easily the best sound out of all the brands.
Iver never had there headers, but know people who have, and they swear by them.
Old 20-02-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Well I gave them some more information about what I was looking for, and they came back with this follow-up reply and an actual quote...

"I would recommend that you use the 4499s together with a redback hi performance hi flow cat and the systems we use are auspak which incorporate a straight thru offset design. The cost would be 1350 for the complete job including a twin tip."

What do you guys think?? Pricewise - is this too much???
Old 20-02-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

I think the price is good, Pacies are around $650 on threre own, cat $250, cat back $350, thats only $100 for install.
Old 20-02-2009, 04:04 AM   #6
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

auspak are cheap reproduction type exhaust systems, press bent and just made to be as cheap as possible.
Old 20-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0whiteaughia
auspak are cheap reproduction type exhaust systems, press bent and just made to be as cheap as possible.
I did specify to them in my email to them that I was after a MANDREL BENT (yes I wrote it in captials so they would see it) exhaust......and he still said auspak......have you had previous experience with auspak 5.0whiteghia?

just sent the guy another quick email for clarification on whether this auspak system he's talking about is press or mandrel bent............and whether he has any other brands......
Old 20-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think your payng too much for paccies. I can get them supplied and fitted here in adelaide for $550. I think they are trying to roger you.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
st33l3y
Pursuit #144

I got a couple of quotes for Pacemaker PH4480 of around $650 - $750, supply only, here in country NSW. That was around November last year.

Apparently they put the price of their headers up as the price of steel went up, so I would be happy with the quote you received.
2003 FPV Pursuit #144
| Silhouette | 5 Speed Manual | Pacemaker Twin 2.5" System | Pacemaker 2.5" 200 cell cats | Pacemaker 1 3/4" headers | Yella Terra airbox | Herrod Oil Breathers | MGW Short Shifter | 19" Bonspeed Clutch billet wheels | Spoiler Deleted |
st33l3y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I think your payng too much for paccies. I can get them supplied and fitted here in adelaide for $550. I think they are trying to roger you.
I dunno, it sounds alright to me so far......naturally ill get some from other places.....just trying to nail these guys down first....but referring to what monty said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I think the price is good, Pacies are around $650 on threre own, cat $250, cat back $350, thats only $100 for install
Who's not to say they are charging 550 for the pacies, 250 for the cat, 350 for cat back and 200 for install??? Maybe I should ask them to break it down.....

any other thoughts?
Old 20-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

yes dave, we used to own a exhaust shop 6 months ago, our buy price on the auspak stuff was about under half the price of a redback system. im never seem a mandrel bent system from them, we always used the redback mandrel bend exhaust, and the auspak we were using for the cheap replacement stuff. Which was very much just cheap made as well.

Where in melbourne are you?

The redback hi flow cats, arnt very good in comparison to the likes of a magnaflow hi flow metal core cat, and price wise very little difference bout $20-$40 from memory.
Old 20-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I agree. I'm go the magnaflow metal core cat shortly. One of the best flowing cat's on the market.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
yes dave, we used to own a exhaust shop 6 months ago, our buy price on the auspak stuff was about under half the price of a redback system. im never seem a mandrel bent system from them, we always used the redback mandrel bend exhaust, and the auspak we were using for the cheap replacement stuff. Which was very much just cheap made as well.

Where in melbourne are you?

The redback hi flow cats, arnt very good in comparison to the likes of a magnaflow hi flow metal core cat, and price wise very little difference bout $20-$40 from memory.
cool thanks for the warning!!!

I'm in south-east melbourne (wheelers hill / glen waverley)

yeah I've seen a few builds on here where they've got the magnaflow.....so yeah id be probably wanting to go with that too.....

Like I said earlier, I am going to approach other places as well.........I just wanted some help from my forum buddies to dissect this place's quote!!!
Old 20-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

you've probably dissected the quote well already. Its just a matter of what you get for that price.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #15
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
yes dave, we used to own a exhaust shop 6 months ago
5.0, you will be able to help me with this as well...

"which incorporate a straight thru offset design."

Is that a reference to the muffler?

Is that the best way to go??
Old 20-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #16
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a quick question for 5.0whiteaughia. I have a set of press bent headers sitting in the garage right now. I'm not sure of the brand. They are used (I picked them up for $100 ). Is there any draw back to fitting press bent headers to the car over the stock system, especially if they are a cheaper brand.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #17
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
Just a quick question for 5.0whiteaughia. I have a set of press bent headers sitting in the garage right now. I'm not sure of the brand. They are used (I picked them up for $100 ). Is there any draw back to fitting press bent headers to the car over the stock system, especially if they are a cheaper brand.
from what I believe, press bent will still give you better performance, but not as much as mandrel bent, as the pipes are actually crushed when they are bent, so not as much air gets through - therefore not as much performance gain as what mandrel bend would give you........but yes there is still a gain to be had!!!
Old 21-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #18
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

well, got a very nasty email from these guys saying not to waste their time with things I know nothing about........isn't that the purpose of an enquiry??? to find out things so i can make a decision regarding a purchase??

Well they certainly won't be getting anything out of me then!
Old 21-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #19
fipcee
not so stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
well, got a very nasty email from these guys saying not to waste their time with things I know nothing about........isn't that the purpose of an enquiry??? to find out things so i can make a decision regarding a purchase??

You should explain that you are a member of a large forum and let them you know that you'll be informing one and all about there excellent customer service, must be very busy to treat you like that mate :togo:
Liquid silver AUIII XR6, BA scuff plates with Tickford inserts, proudly displaying AU falcon.com stickers, lowered, K&N panel filter with wide mouth snorkle, 2 1/2 exhaust and hi flo cat, Illusion mags, slotted and drilled rotors.
Next mods: extractors
fipcee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #20
The Monty
Just slidin'

Wow, Id deffinately not be using them now.
Old 21-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761

your kidding? what a bunch of losers. their name will be mud amongst the ford community

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 23-02-2009, 10:25 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Lukey stuff is great, easily the best sound out of all the brands.
Iver never had there headers, but know people who have, and they swear by them.
i have lukey headers ...yes press bent , i did`nt think it had much of a power increase (but my brother took it for a run and said it is noticeable...go figure),but they had a very (sounds like a v8 at low revs : ) good note even before we enlarged the outlet and fitted full 3 inch system all the way through, i could be wrong but by the bumometer the best gain for mine was with a 3 inch cat back lukey race muffler and hotdog (xr vct).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You can get a redback system for around $350 odd and fit it yourself - it just bolts up to the cat. You can also get pacemaker 4480s (comp) or 4499s (Try Y) for around $650 fitted, and a cat should only be about $200 extra. So that's around $1200 fitted - just shop around for the best price.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post