Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #1
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 
Default [HOW TO] Lower Driver Seat Base

Came across this a while back while having the seats out of the ute.
Now I'm cleaning up my daily AU (yes I have a 2nd one), I've got a seat to show what to do.

I've always set the rear cushion adjustment on it's lowest setting, with the front adjustment higher for thigh support. However I've figured that the rear mounts for the pan can be changed to be set lower.
I took measurements while doing this and this give an immediate ≈10mm drop. More if you then clearance it with a hammer

Step 1: Remove seats from the car
This has been shown a few times, best here by Uncle_Ken, so no photo's
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11324415
I don't know if the pan could be removed while the frame is in the car or not, I've had the complete seat out both times.

The Removed seat (excuse condition. It's getting a good clean and repair. Imagine a backrest trim and headrest on there)

Step 2: Remove pan, Find mod
Place seat on a bench and lay it on it's side with the bottom facing you.
The rear mounts are what is going to be changed.
Remove the 4 bolts and take the pan off.
Take care with this. The pan has weld nuts which the bolts go into and on both my cars I've had 1 or more weld nut broken loose. If that's the case, remove the trim from the pan and grab the weld nut with pliers to remove the bolt. You will need to weld it back in place or change the pan

Step 3: Flip rear mount
See those L brackets for the seat mount, they need to pivot to make the height adjustment work, so we take advantage of this and flip them 180°

Step 4: Remount Pan
Remount the rear first, then the front mounts (found this easiest method). In the original way the bracket is notched for some clearance, but it seams to mount ok without this notch. Personal preference if you put this in or not.
Seats are now ready to go back into the vehicle.

Step 5: Reinstall in vehicle
Reverse of step 1.

That is all there is to it. The height adjust mechanism now bottoms out on the seat pan, rather than the mechanism it's self.
I've been running this in the ute for a while now and have now squeaks or rattle. I believe it's a combo of the touch point on the pan is covered in fabric and a bit of preloading on the adjuster.

Lowest rear height setting - Original

Flipped rear bracket.
You can also see where some vigorous "clearancing" with a hammer to tweak to pan inwards will get you some more drop. I highly recommend against cutting any of this structure for further height drops.

Enjoy.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: [HOW TO] Lower Driver Seat Base

Good idea for those of use who are 'tall' and need more head heigh room.
I'll have to check mine and see how I put them back in !! LOL
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post