Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-07-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Default Racing Works Induction Kit installed, pics and video

Ok, I had put away my Racing Works Induction Kit for a rainy day, and today it was raining. So I pulled the Focus into the garage behind the RS2000 and got to work!

Above: The Works kit on top of the factory configuration.

Above: Pretty easy to see how the new system is going to replace the old. You have the ventilation pipe from the rocker cover, and the Mass Air Flow meter to reconnect to the new system.

Above: All the original stuff gone. You can see the throttle body at the top (plastic! Ugh), and down the bottom, where the old airbox used to sit. You can see the battery on the left (the cover was re-fitted afterwards), and the pipe coming up from the bottom supplying fresh air to where the new filter will sit. Also, just below that on the photo is the suspension mounting point for the front left corner, if anyone is wondering what it is. I then cleaned the whole area up, stupid rain leaving cars dirty. Removing the old stuff was the easy part...

Above: The part that required more effort was when I realised that the German spec Focus must share very little with the US spec Focus. The MAF fitting was different, the rocker cover ventilation pipe was a different size, and whatever crazy brackets they had supplied were no use at all. So, instead of doing the weak thing and sending it back, I hit my toolboard and went about modifying everything to fit!

More pics and video to come...

Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 10:07 PM   #2
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Above: You can see the alignment difference in the holes for the MAF. I had to widen the top hole, and drill an all new hole on the bottom, and then tap a thread into them. I am not really that suprised they are different on our Foci, so it wasn't too much of a drama. Gave me a chance to be creative.

Above: The brackets they supplied were interesting, laughable even. They did not resemble anything remotely useable to me. So I made up this custom bracket, which bolts onto the battery box.

Above: The final result. I left the factory vent going from the bonnet to where the pod is until I make a custom box to house the filter, sheild the engine heat, and draw larger volumes of fresh air into it. That'll be next.

Impressions:
Ok, well, I did this mod purely for looks at car shows, etc. Lift the bonnet, oh ah, shiny bits!

But wow, what a difference it has made to the car. The induction sound is pretty cool - you can hear it suck down low before it starts to roar. It's like the induction kit and the exhaust are competing for attention, I had the biggest grin on my face. But also is the increase in power... I spun the wheels launching the car at the same throttle application that I would normally use while driving out of my driveway with the old setup - and that was with a rolling start!

I got a little video footage of the car out today after I had finished installing the kit... I never use full throttle at any time in this video as it is on public roads, and being a friday afternoon there are families around, but you can still get an appreciation of the noise of the car. You can't really hear the sucking at lower rpm for some reason, cameras mic is too poor I guess, but you can get an idea of how it roars. When I have the car on private property, I'll open it right up and go nuts!

It's only 5MB so even dialup users can get it fairly easily, Right click and choose Save as or Save Target As to download it.

http://www.eurofordclub.com/timmeh/E...Induction2.wmv

I'd love some feedback on the video! :eclipsee_

Thanks for looking - and those going to Eurofordclub meets will see and hear it.

Tim
Old 15-07-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Very nice Tim, just need to make yourself a nice heat sheild, and a bigger CAI.

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED

Back in a Ford XR. MA XR5 Mondeo

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Looks great Tim, sounds killa too!! Did you scrape your front bar as you were comin out of the driveway, coz i could hear a thump.

Now your gettin me all worried about parts comin from the US. Im gettin my H&R springs from the US, i hope they fit... :gren:
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
whippet_zetec
Supes

lol....thats great mate, I was wondering how long you were going to leave that thing sitting around before you got it installed.

looks good and I cant wait to see it at the euroford cruise
Old 15-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Hole in the bonnet (TM) should help that get some cold air!! Looks sensational, sounds even better!! I'm jealous!!!!! QUALITY and a very well presented vehicle (looks like a pre-cruise wash and wax!!)
Old 15-07-2005, 11:19 PM   #7
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevaps
Looks great Tim, sounds killa too!! Did you scrape your front bar as you were comin out of the driveway, coz i could hear a thump.
Haha yeah I did! I don't normally go out the driveway that fast, I caught myself off guard a bit making sure I didn't hit the tripod.

I am a bit disappointed the video doesnt pick up the induction sound as well but ah well, it will have to do for now!

Thanks for the feedback left so far!

Tim
Old 15-07-2005, 11:35 PM   #8
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Looks and sounds good there

Makes me want one now !

Chris
Old 15-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Dammit Tim you're making us all spend too much money!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16-07-2005, 01:13 AM   #10
RiC
Starter Motor

Looks Awesome mate
RiC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 10:11 PM   #11
king_pin

Nice work Tim. Looks awesome and sounds even better.

I have always liked the look of the Volant intake and just might have to really consider getting it now.
king_pin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 10:23 PM   #12
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Thanks...

I can't beleive the difference it makes to the noise of the car, and also the pull the engine has above 2 grand.

The setup worked well all weekend, and sounds just great. The engine has much more of a thumping roar about it, I can't get enough of it.

Hopefully I should have a video up of it in full throttle soon, from the Eurofordclub cruise on Saturday.

Thanks for the replies!

Oh yeah, if anyone heard it on the road at the Eurofordclub cruise, let me know what you thought.

Tim
Old 18-07-2005, 10:51 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I'm still recovering...