Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2023, 06:40 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Push for fuel efficiency standards in Australia

Monique Ryan in parliament has started pushing for fuel efficiency standards in Australia,

She has released an op-ed, with her thoughts on it, and I thought this would be worth a discussion with our community here on AFF:

Quote:
Fuel efficiency standards – the crucial next step for our EV transition
Monique Ryan

On 1 July, the Albanese government will roll out its signature electric vehicle (EV) policy – an electric car discount removing the 5% import tariff on some imported EVs and the 47% Fringe Benefits Tax on electric cars provided by employers.

While these important steps will make EVs more affordable, growing sales and long waiting lists for EVs in Australia demonstrate that our uptake is limited not by consumer demand, but by supply constraints.

So, what is the key to unlocking the EV supply chain? Fuel efficiency standards would incentivise manufacturers to bring their low and zero emissions vehicles to Australia - and penalise them for failing to do so.

Fuel efficiency standards are used to regulate the average CO2 emissions of a manufacturer's fleet, and serve to reduce both fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.

They’ve been adopted in most countries worldwide; Australia, Turkey, Indonesia and Russia are the only G20 countries with no mandatory standards for fuel efficiency.

Put simply, this means that manufacturers have no incentive to supply their best cars to our market. We’ve become a dumping ground for vehicles which fail to meet efficiency and emissions standards in Europe, the US and Asia.

We get the cars no one else will take, because our government has never moved to set fuel efficiency (and related fuel quality and vehicle emissions standards) comparable with major markets around the world.

So, adopting fuel efficiency standards would open the Australian market to EVs.

What else would it do?

Save Australians money: government modelling has shown that legislating targets for fuel efficiency for vehicles sold in Australia will save us money. The average car user in Australia would save between $237-519 dollars/year from using less petrol.

Those calculations were based on a fuel cost of around $1.30/litre – much less than the current price of petrol – and did not include the additional $140 dollars per vehicle per year of health care costs related to vehicular pollution.

Reduce greenhouse gas emissions: emissions from passenger and light vehicles currently represent 57 million tonnes – 10% of Australia’s total carbon emissions.

There are about 24 million cars on Australian roads. Fewer than 1% are electric.

The average car sold in Australia stays on our roads for at least 15 years. Electrified transport can be powered by renewable energy.

The zero emissions from running these vehicles will decrease our carbon emissions by 10%.

Improve our health: Australia has the dirtiest petrol in the OECD. Every year in Australia, more people die from respiratory diseases related to vehicular pollution than from road traffic accidents.

Transitioning away from internal combustion engine vehicles will improve air quality and reduce pollution-related diseases.

Reduce reliance on imported fuel: The price of petrol has sky-rocketed; we’ve all felt the pinch from that. Australia now has only two fuel refineries; we’ve struggled in recent years to comply with the International Energy Agency’s minimal stock-holding requirements for liquid fuels.

Improve energy storage capacity: Cars like the Ford F-150 Lightning can tow up to 2300 kg and work as a mobile generator for tradies or power our homes.

These are enormous mobile batteries with the bonus of a free car thrown in.

They won’t kill our weekends – but they will slay the camping ground.

Boosting EV uptake and investing in renewables will help address our fuel insecurity.

So what now?

In the short term, we need our government to shape the direction in which this market is moving.

The Albanese government must introduce robust fuel efficiency standards equivalent to global best standards. These will cost us nothing but will ensure manufacturers supply a greater range of affordable EVs to our market, rather than being offered only polluting internal combustion engine vehicles and the luxury end of the EV market.

Yes, we will also need expanded charging facilities. Yes, our corporate and government fleet purchasers should commit to large-scale EV fleet purchases, increasing the supply of second-hand EVs in this country in the second half of this decade.

Yes, we need package incentives. Yes, we need better vehicle emissions standards for non-CO2 emissions, which also have implications for our
health. Each of these steps will contribute to our move away to cleaner, healthier transport options.

Anyone interested in the immediate decrease in our carbon emissions achievable by rapid electrification of our transport system will welcome the Albanese government’s introduction of Fringe Benefits Tax and import duty waivers for electric vehicles on 1 July 2022. But these changes are only baby steps.

The next move must be the setting of international best practice fuel efficiency standards to improve our health and the quality and range of cars offered for sale in this country. We need ambition and vision from the new government, and we need it now.

Dr Monique Ryan is the new Independent Member for Kooyong in the Parliament of Australia.
https://assets.nationbuilder.com/koo...pdf?1651035358

There's a push in parliament house to introduce fuel efficiency standards, this could certainly turn the Australian car market on its head if they head down a fuel efficiency path and punish manufacturers (and customers) for flooding our market with Thailand Specials and SUVs.

I've bolded the parts I found interesting, I find it hilarious she's mentioned the F150 Lightning, they can't even manufacture enough for their own market, and they don't offer the F150 in RHD either from the factory, even if we did introduce fuel efficiency standards - whose to say Ford USA would even consider offering this to Ford Australia?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2023, 07:58 PM   #2
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Push for fuel efficiency standards in Australia

I can see the “flow on” here ( if we go down the Euro path ) where personal transport for financial demographics becomes unaffordable ( unless new EV’s become cheaper than new ICE vehicles of course ).

Insurance rates will go through the roof also (for EV owners), if the current rate of “write offs” for EV’s continue based on battery damages sustained.

Damage or other reasons for Battery replacement costs anyone ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2023, 09:27 PM   #3
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Monique Ryan ditched the Electric Car post election and back driving the V8 Three Pointed Suppository. Now she comes up with this Bulltish.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2023, 09:41 PM   #4
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rules for thee not for me
Old 18-04-2023, 09:43 PM   #5
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see some points in there that are good - less foreign oil, less expenditure overseas in cold war Mk2

The great danger is denying transport to many people who will simply not be able to afford it - they are often those working the jobs that make the society run.

So it becomes a reverse democratisation of transport.

What will really happen: Aussies keep their old bangers, some get creative and fuel them alternatively, mum's the word
Old 18-04-2023, 09:51 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I used to go to this fancy coffee place that opened up near my office a couple years ago, ran by a young bunch of women who were very keen for the environment.

They used to offer a $1 discount if you brought in your 'keepcup', so I just kept paying the extra dollar and getting the disposable cup.

After a few weeks she kept trying to convince me to bring in a reusable cup because its cheaper, and I was all like nah, I cant be ****ed washing the cup after I use it so give me a disposable one please.

She told me she'd clean it for me

I said I wouldn't be so disrespectful as to hand you over a dirty keepcup and expect you to clean it before you used it - just give me the disposable cup.

She then cracked the ****s, called me a ***** who doesn't care for the environment and flew off into this big tirade about how I'm damaging the environment

Mission accomplished

If you cared so much for the environment, why do you even offer disposable coffee cups then?

Then COVID happened and everyone banned keepcups anyway

Franco 1
Greens Voters 0

I'm not saving the world one coffee cup at a time, I'd prefer we do more meaningful things to help the environment.

Same as how we're suggesting we bend over backwards, we're giving out tax incentives for EVs and proposing fuel efficency standards to interfere in the market - all for something that contributes less than 10% of our total greenhouse emissions as a nation.

Can we start on the 90% first?
Old 18-04-2023, 10:04 PM   #7
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahahahhaha! You wore them down over weeks.

Some of the most genius gags are those played over a long time period.
Old 18-04-2023, 10:12 PM   #8
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

EU7 is basically killing diesels in Europe in 2026.

Petrol will continue for a while, but the EU is pushing so hard towards getting rid of the ICE, I don’t understand why.

Nutcases here will have us going down this track unfortunately.
Old 18-04-2023, 10:26 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post

Petrol will continue for a while, but the EU is pushing so hard towards getting rid of the ICE, I don’t understand why.

I wonder if we'll see hybrid unleaded versions of the Thailand Specials?

Either that or Bosch is being Bosch and is sitting on technology that will get diesels through later stage emissions and they're just sitting on it waiting for it to happen before they come out with a solution.

They do this sort of **** all the time because they're flogs.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2023, 10:33 PM   #10
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Either that or Bosch is being Bosch and is sitting on technology that will get diesels through later stage emissions and they're just sitting on it waiting for it to happen before they come out with a solution.

I think diesels in Europe may be done, i think it’ll eventually be EV’s and Petrol Hybrids to get them to EU7 ? Let’s see what happens.

If this happens here, I reckon the base “****box” will be 35k
Old 19-04-2023, 12:47 AM   #11
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
.......I find it hilarious she's mentioned the F150 Lightning, they can't even manufacture enough for their own market, and they don't offer the F150 in RHD either from the factory, even if we did introduce fuel efficiency standards - whose to say Ford USA would even consider offering this to Ford Australia?
Maybe

https://www.drive.com.au/news/ford-f...edium=Referral

But it is more hilarious that these numnuts still think EV's will take over from ICE. It will NEVER happen in Oz and Albo and Co need to stop the BS that will destroy Oz and accept it.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2023, 07:44 AM   #12
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

My car gets 11.5L/100km and if they're expecting me to get something more efficient than that, they better give me a skirt and some high heels to assist me in my transition.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2023, 08:32 AM   #13
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I used to go to this fancy coffee place that opened up near my office a couple years ago, ran by a young bunch of women who were very keen for the environment.

They used to offer a $1 discount if you brought in your 'keepcup', so I just kept paying the extra dollar and getting the disposable cup.

After a few weeks she kept trying to convince me to bring in a reusable cup because its cheaper, and I was all like nah, I cant be ****ed washing the cup after I use it so give me a disposable one please.

She told me she'd clean it for me

I said I wouldn't be so disrespectful as to hand you over a dirty keepcup and expect you to clean it before you used it - just give me the disposable cup.

She then cracked the ****s, called me a ***** who doesn't care for the environment and flew off into this big tirade about how I'm damaging the environment

Mission accomplished

If you cared so much for the environment, why do you even offer disposable coffee cups then?

Then COVID happened and everyone banned keepcups anyway

Franco 1
Greens Voters 0

I'm not saving the world one coffee cup at a time, I'd prefer we do more meaningful things to help the environment.

Same as how we're suggesting we bend over backwards, we're giving out tax incentives for EVs and proposing fuel efficency standards to interfere in the market - all for something that contributes less than 10% of our total greenhouse emissions as a nation.

Can we start on the 90% first?
I thought that disposable coffee cups were biodegradable. It's not like some of the plastics out there.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2023, 08:33 AM   #14
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
My car gets 11.5L/100km and if they're expecting me to get something more efficient than that, they better give me a skirt and some high heels to assist me in my transition.
Well said !!

Dr Terry
This user likes this post:
Old 19-04-2023, 09:19 AM   #15
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
I thought that disposable coffee cups were biodegradable. It's not like some of the plastics out there.

Dr Terry
My understanding is the disposalable cups contain plastic and need a specific process to be recycled.
The local council blurb on Recycling specifically states no disposable cups in the Recycling bin. Local Coffee Shop Disposable Cups have Recycling Logo
Damned if you and damned if you don't.
Old 19-04-2023, 09:36 AM   #16
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

*shrugs* eh I am not seeing the issue here, brings us in line with the rest of the world instead of wondering around in the wilderness like we have been.
Old 19-04-2023, 09:45 AM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
“You used to look good in a mini!”
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2023, 09:54 AM   #18
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Monique Ryan, never heard of her, but heres the important breakdown
1: She's a politician, so you need to question WHO's agenda she's pushing, and WHY
2: Yes, she's a "Doctor", but in Neurology, studies of the brain, nothing to do with the environment, motoring or anything at all to do with what she's written here.

Basically, her opinion on the matter matters no more than that of the average person on the street.

It is, however, amusing to note that her parents had seven children, and she herself has had three, which makes me consider her to be somewhat of a hypocrite given her stance on climate change, and her family's contribution towards rising population numbers....
Old 19-04-2023, 10:08 AM   #19
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You would know better than me, say Bosch has some improved tech that will help. How long could they wait before going public as it seems if they miss-time and EU regs become law they miss the boat...interesting to find out what lobbying, if any they are involved in around the world for issues that directly effect their products/sales potentials.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2023, 12:55 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
You will quite soon.

And then you learn that doing this will actually do more harm than good. Typical green bull****.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/electr...ides-industry/

At the centre of the controversy – and the secret back-channeling in Canberra – is the aggressiveness and speed of the emissions reduction targets proposed for petrol and diesel vehicles, combined with the extremist view all cars should be electric by the middle of next decade, 2035.

Drive has learned that, earlier this year, the Electric Vehicle Council distributed a document with a detailed proposal that matched the toughest emissions reduction targets in the world – even though such a rapid and unprecedented change would cause a sharp increase in the cost of car ownership, and force motorists to hold onto older, higher-polluting vehicles for longer.

Despite assurances to federal policymakers in the lead-up to today’s announcement, the Electric Vehicle Council did not consult all corners of the automotive industry, and only canvassed a small number of car companies who are part of the break-away lobby group.

If the Electric Vehicle Council’s proposal were to be adopted, analysis shows the price of electric cars would go up – not down – because of the forced increase in demand for rare earths and precious minerals to make battery-powered vehicles in such high volumes.

The proposed policy would also push up the price of petrol and diesel vehicles – such as SUVs, utes and four-wheel-drives – because the scheme would punish those cars with arbitrary taxes to discourage motorists from buying them.

Fk them and their agendas. It's not about saving the environment, cause it will do stuff all. It's all about forcing you into something you don't want. And then the power companies can absolutely rort the hell out of you while doing it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2023, 01:48 PM   #21
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post

I'll have a go at an answer. Have posted this stuff in fuel crisis thread before.

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2...oming-for-you/

Now some of my favourite loons are the peak oil/agriculture loons - who knows, they might even be right. But the world keeps turning each day with more hydrocarbons, just like the financial system seems to although now it's ctrl_p'd to an obese extent.

With diesel, Turiel argues that the amount of oil from which it's easily refinable - is getting more scarce. The peak is coming from below, first the heavier oils, then diesel, then petrol. A bit like the mandated emissions targets...

Note his 2018 charts of diesel (peaked, 2015) and more alarmingly, fuel oil which looks nasty.

Might the recent diesel being 50c more expensive than petrol have a different cause?

Go back to the French yellow vests: that one was triggered by Macron trying to ban diesel in towns, and putting a circa 20% more tax on it. Euroland runs on small diesels, it's how working people get to work. And their vans and trucks, without saying. Macron failed, but maybe EU7 will do the thing.

So, here's an alternative theory to think about. It would provide a very real impetus to use govco policy to kick the consumer's arz into electric, and if you can't afford it, tough. I reckon if they push it there could be an Aussie working class fuel revolt similar to the French (but with Australian characteristics: see Yorak Hunt videos for an idea of what that will look like).
Old 19-04-2023, 02:06 PM   #22
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Australians wouldn’t riot if their lives depended on it. Too much self-generated, self-censoring fear.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2023, 02:27 PM   #23
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You didn't see the construction camp up in the NW when the Indian food was denied to the workers, being reserved for the Indian management

Also: Cronulla riot, I believe there were attacks on local girls in the lead up?
Old 19-04-2023, 02:55 PM   #24
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Somebody should tell these idiot greenies that cars made in the last 20 years are not "heavily polluting".

The genuine pollution (hydrocarbons, oxides of nitrogen etc.) was drastically reduced years ago. The "pollution" they are referring to is CO2. Good old CO2 plant food !! The exception would be particulates produced by Diesels, then get rid of Diesels. Don't pick on the average wage earner going to work in his 4-cyl ICE car.

Any possible affect on the climate by COS emissions is far outweighed by the pollution caused by battery manufacture etc. etc.

Dr Terry
7 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2023, 03:08 PM   #25
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

wont be long now that the tradie utes get looked at seriously.. wonder if this will rush the hybrid / ev versions out faster now ?
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2023, 03:34 PM   #26
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Monique Ryan, never heard of her, but heres the important breakdown
1: She's a politician, so you need to question WHO's agenda she's pushing, and WHY
2: Yes, she's a "Doctor", but in Neurology, studies of the brain, nothing to do with the environment, motoring or anything at all to do with what she's written here.

Basically, her opinion on the matter matters no more than that of the average person on the street.
A bit like the infamous Dr Tim Flannery who was a mammalogist, in other words he studied mammals.

Over a decade ago he foretold us that "we would never again see real rain on the East coast of Australia". 5 years later Brisbane had record floods.

Dr Terry
Old 19-04-2023, 03:53 PM   #27
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Monique has to pay back the mining interests that backed her.
Old 19-04-2023, 06:31 PM   #28
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Somebody should tell these idiot greenies that cars made in the last 20 years are not "heavily polluting".
to be fair though:

1. many of those 20 year old cars are still on the road
2. even if new car emissions have halved, there are more than twice as many cars on the road so the total tailpipe emissions have increased
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2023, 06:33 PM   #29
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
not really. she's elected to parliament, so regardless of her professional qualifications beforehand her opinions now most certainly do count for more than mine or yours
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2023, 08:59 PM   #30
myrpo

Think for under 300km a day's activity of city - school - wife - run around car we will go an EV next time. That is if they come down in price a bit, maybe a lot. If not we will go another hybrid. The hybrid we currently have has been awesome since 2016, 190,000km.

The two things that appeal about EVs to me, is they go like the clappers, and I can power the house at night.

The bits that detract is they don't self charge in the sun, and for us we park in the sun all the time away from the house at work, kids sport, shopping etc. No spare, and no wagons.

I've given up on the noise around range envy, battery fires, rare metals, Co2, slave labour.......
I can think of many failings around ICM's so don't see any of it as an argument for or against really.

We have a big solar system with large chunks of energy going to the scabs in the energy industry. So would like to capture more of it for myself. Started looking into buying a totaled EV to knock of the batteries for the house rather than say a Powerwall. 80Kwh is far more appealing than 13.5, especially for a few cloudy days.

Bring on then EVs I say.
myrpo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post