Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 12-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
Sutekh
Starter Motor

Default Roof racks and luggage boxes/pods

Hi all,

Currently contemplating whether to look into a TDCi hatch, or wait and see how long it will be before the wagon comes to market.

Wondering whether anyone is using roof racks and a luggage pod (for all the extras that get dragged along on a driving vacation) on their sedan/hatch?

The accessories page for Mondeo on Ford.com.au notes roof racks as an option along with bike carriers, etc., but no luggage boxes/pods. Is there an issue getting a box/pod onto the roof of the sedan/hatch Mondeo? Does the placement of the radio antenna cause it to get in the way?

Advice appreciated.

Sutekh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

radio antenna can be unscrewed so that would be fine if you can bare to only have cd function.

Maybe look into thule luggage pod etc mounted to ford factory roof racks?
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
TheColonel

Check all the EU sites, i'm sure there would certainly be something on the market
Old 13-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
scribbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
radio antenna can be unscrewed so that would be fine if you can bare to only have cd function.

Maybe look into thule luggage pod etc mounted to ford factory roof racks?
I took the racks & had the pod left over from a Territory promotion. I didn't know about unscrewing the antenna & I specifically asked Ford about it. Has anyone actually unscrewed the antenna? I know for a fact that if you fit the pod on the racks the antenna either has to bend up or under. I am positive that after a long trip it would be badly worn from the rubbing so appreciate the feedback on the unscrewing part.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
warren77

I haven't unscrewed mine all the way but it just twisted off. I have seen several replacement stainless steel antenna's on UK Ebay, which just screw on.
So it is a pretty simple procedure by all accounts!
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
grmas1
Starter Motor

Rather than start a new thread, I have another question about Mondeo Roof Racks.

What brand are they? I am looking at getting a Kayak Carrier and would like to see if there is a non Factory option.
grmas1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmas1
Rather than start a new thread, I have another question about Mondeo Roof Racks.

What brand are they? I am looking at getting a Kayak Carrier and would like to see if there is a non Factory option.
I suspect that the mondeo still being relatively new, there only options are:
1) Ford
2) Importing in 3rd party
3) Generic style

Not having done any research on roof racks in particular but based on what I have seen in regards to other accessories.

But if you do find some more information, I would be interested.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
grmas1
Starter Motor

Warren,

Just realised i may have misled a little, I have the Factory racks fitted now. Just need to get the right attachment.
grmas1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
evo2
Starter Motor

A year ago I went to Roof Carrier Systems in Melbourne Thule Dealer. they had stock of Thule racks for the Mondeo.