Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Default Cops Keep Pulling Me Over In Front Of My House!!!!!!!!!!

For the past month cops have been sitting down the road from my house and when me or my mrs drives past they flick on their lights with the result being I'm always pulled over in front of my home. Same story every time they check our licence RBT us and go on their way.

It was just annoying until the other day my mrs was driving and I was in the passnger seat coming back from up the road getting KFC and got pulled up. Unfortunately one of the p-plates had fallen off and so she copped a $200 fine. I tried to talk to the copper but he ignored me and walked off. It wasn't until I yelled out asking for his badge number that he angrily came back and gave me his name.

Now I'm eating 2-minute noodles for the next fortnight because of the cops taking my shopping budget. I know I'm not a model citizen but I believe I'm a good citizen. Both me and my mrs work hard have rented our own home since 17 and after 3 years of driving have collected only one driving offence each. Me 2.5 years ago for overtaking on double lines and my mrs 2.5 years ago for 15 kays over the limit.

The only variable is two months ago when my car was stolen and flogged around town receiving numerous reports. Surely I am not being punished for having my car stolen?

Old 02-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Sounds like you p****d off cop somewhere?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
ch33z1l
Dawn

P Plate fines are ridiculous...my mrs got pulled over the other night, and becase it was a magnetic one, for whatever reason it wouldn't stick to the car, so she displayed it in the window. $190 fine and 2 points thanks very much.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

god i hate that law.. sorry to hear about the losses sustained by it.. luckily i've only been warned because of it.. I gotta go back to the RTA and get some more damn plates..
Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
P Plate fines are ridiculous...my mrs got pulled over the other night, and becase it was a magnetic one, for whatever reason it wouldn't stick to the car, so she displayed it in the window. $190 fine and 2 points thanks very much.
If there was no fine for not having P plates no one would display them the cops would not know you are exceding the P plate speed limit or driving a prohibited car so that would leave us with un enforcable restrictions . learner drivers ( yes P platers are still learning to drive thats why you are restricted) need to stop whinging and accept the restrictions till you are experienced drivers these restrictions are for publice safety not to annoy you so build a bridge

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 02-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Can I contest it??

I have wondered how if police targeted people because of race or religion it would be discrimination but it is okay to target someone because of age??

We often hear about "oppressed minorities" but at the risk of sounding melodramatic in our ageing country the young minority is often targeted.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

You have started numerous threads over the years about being "picked" on by cops,maybe you are doing something that attracts police attention?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i am unsure as to how the p plates could fall off with such monotonous regularity. it is law they have to be displayed, so wouldn't it be a good idea to make sure they are on. we still have the suction cups attached to our window, almost a year since the plates were last used. it is not like they fall off if attached properly - we were regularly taking the plates on and off, but the suction cups never moved
Old 02-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we cannot have them inside the car now.. they must be displayed outside the car which is the crap thing. i never had a problem when i had the sticky rubber type ones on the inside of the windscreen(except on a really hot day they wouldnt stick sometimes) and now they are stolen or fall off all the time

and they were completely visible - i dont even have window tint..
Old 02-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
If there was no fine for not having P plates no one would display them the cops would not know you are exceding the P plate speed limit or driving a prohibited car so that would leave us with un enforcable restrictions . learner drivers ( yes P platers are still learning to drive thats why you are restricted) need to stop whinging and accept the restrictions till you are experienced drivers these restrictions are for publice safety not to annoy you so build a bridge
So when the p-plates come off I instantly become a better driver??? After doing a computer test red p-platers can suddenly handle the exponential increase in danger from increasing your speed from 90km/h to 100km/h?? I have my full motorbike licence which took 15 months but a car takes 4 years?? After driving a FWD Kia for 4 years removing p-plates instantly enables me to handle a twin turbo V8? This is all about taxing a minority thus why 'S' plates for seniors is dead in the water!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets not open up that can-o-worms
Old 02-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
lets not open up that can-o-worms
True dont want to get this thread closed. I just want to know if I can write to the comissioner or something?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
So when the p-plates come off I instantly become a better driver??? After doing a computer test red p-platers can suddenly handle the exponential increase in danger from increasing your speed from 90km/h to 100km/h?? I have my full motorbike licence which took 15 months but a car takes 4 years?? After driving a FWD Kia for 4 years removing p-plates instantly enables me to handle a twin turbo V8? This is all about taxing a minority thus why 'S' plates for seniors is dead in the water!
no I am saying P platers are still learning to drive and should stop whinging about restrictions imposed to improve public safety. P platers on here are the biggest bunch of whingers I have come accross you are still learners accept that . when you are a big boy you can drive faster and drive a big boys car but you have to grow up first ( with the restrictions in place you might even get the chance )

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 02-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i am unsure as to how the p plates could fall off with such monotonous regularity. it is law they have to be displayed, so wouldn't it be a good idea to make sure they are on. we still have the suction cups attached to our window, almost a year since the plates were last used. it is not like they fall off if attached properly - we were regularly taking the plates on and off, but the suction cups never moved
As Fev has said, we have to display them on the outside here in NSW. Not a problem for me anymore, on my full licence now. But my fiancee is still on hers and they are always stolen off of her car, even when zip tied on. I travelled on the freeway a lot and I often lost them as well. It's open to, well not what I'd call abuse, maybe more unfair targetting purely because your p-plate fell off 100m back down the road.

Workhorse, stock as a rock

2004 BA MKI Futura - Now the wife's

For Show: 18" Kaotic Shadow Chrome, King SL all round, Cadence Amp, Kenwood 12" Sub, JL Audio 5x7's, Scuff Plates, MP3 Connector

For Go: SVI LPG, K&N Filter, F6 CAI, XR6T snorkle, XR8 catback, Magnaflow metal cat, Pacemaker headers, Underdrive, Thermostat, Custom tune, DBA4000

Now with baby seat and toys

175.6 rwkw

www.bseries.com.au/King_Nothing
Old 02-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get a camera. take photos of where they sit, dates, times and log it all down. every time they pull you over record the conversation. advise them that you are recording the conversation as you are legally obliged to. dont tell them you are taking photos tho. then walk into a solicitors office and take legal action over police harrasment. im pretty sure once they know you are recording everything they will back off. if what your saying is correct thats a pretty big waste of police resources.....
Old 02-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #16
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
we cannot have them inside the car now.. they must be displayed outside the car which is the crap thing. i never had a problem when i had the sticky rubber type ones on the inside of the windscreen(except on a really hot day they wouldnt stick sometimes) and now they are stolen or fall off all the time

and they were completely visible - i dont even have window tint..
sorry, i am ignorant of the nsw law (and maybe others too). it was always a common trick here and no doubt, the other states to pretend it fell off when they were not displayed. i never used the magnetic ones because of the potential of theft. if the car is only driven by a p plater, can you not tape them to the windscreens. it would not harm the paintwork and would make sure that even if they come off - you would know about it
Old 02-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
BlackLS
yum

Part of having P's.

I haven't been pulled over once since I got off my P's. On my reds I was pulled over almost weekly.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #18
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
sorry, i am ignorant of the nsw law (and maybe others too). it was always a common trick here and no doubt, the other states to pretend it fell off when they were not displayed. i never used the magnetic ones because of the potential of theft. if the car is only driven by a p plater, can you not tape them to the windscreens. it would not harm the paintwork and would make sure that even if they come off - you would know about it
would you sticky tape things to your car? heh
Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #19
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
That's another problem. I'm off my P's soon but my mrs isn't for another 6 months so there is going to be a lot of p-plates coming on and off and if one day the mrs forgets to put them back on.................
Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #20
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
when you are a big boy you can drive faster and drive a big boys car but you have to grow up first ( with the restrictions in place you might even get the chance )
Somehow I don't think that's how it works.

I had a guy doing the defensive driver course the other day in a Porsche, couldn't drive for peanuts.

Sleekisim, if your partner can't remember that it is her responsibility to put the plates on when she is driving, then that is her problem.

Oo\===/oO
Old 02-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

When I was on my P's on a hot day (i was working) my rear p-plat fell off. I didn't notice as I was driving. But the cops did intentionally pulled over (as they were in front of me) then pulled me over as I only had one p-plate "displayed". But I got let off after I explained the heat in the car (they could also see I was working) made the plate fall off, I also think they noticed the heat coming form the car as I had no a/c in it.
So plates can fall off. Stupid law to have to lose points over it.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #22
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
would you sticky tape things to your car? heh
yes i would stick something to my windscreen (read my post) because it is glass and the tape residue would clean off and not mark it like it would mark the paint. i would certainly do it if it would save me money from getting fines, but then i am not a rebel so i play within the law and stay relatively happy and do not have the need to go on about how unfair life is
Old 02-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #23
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Sleekisim, if your partner can't remember that it is her responsibility to put the plates on when she is driving, then that is her problem.

My problem as it comes out of my wallet lol

They should at least make fines relative to your income like in some countries (Finland?) $190 isn't a lot for some people but with rent and bills to pay $190 is practically taking the food out of my mouth.

I'm off my p-plates soon but I pity people just getting their P's now. I have no sympathy for all the pretty boys in riceburners whos mummy will happily pay their fines and who discredit my arguments.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #24
gtxb67

Quote:
My problem as it comes out of my wallet lol

They should at least make fines relative to your income like in some countries (Finland?) $190 isn't a lot for some people but with rent and bills to pay $190 is practically taking the food out of my mouth.

I'm off my p-plates soon but I pity people just getting their P's now. I have no sympathy for all the pretty boys in riceburners whos mummy will happily pay their fines and who discredit my arguments.
the fine should be a good reminder to display the plates

if she gets caught and you get the bill - don't give her sex for a week, she will come around soon enough
Old 02-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #25
ch33z1l
Dawn

I never opposed the law, it was the fine and 2 demerit points I was opposing, even when there was a P plate on the front...just the one in the window, ur copped with the same amount and points as someone not showing any!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #26
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

Quote:
The only variable is two months ago when my car was stolen and flogged around town receiving numerous reports. Surely I am not being punished for having my car stolen?

There may lie your problem. The car will have intel associated with it. Even if / when you sell the car the intel will remain, bad luck for the next owner.
If at the time of runnig a check on your car, if the officer dosent correlate the time when the car was stolen to the time when the intel was generated.....bad luck....the target has landed on you.

Do do the current affair trick and video / audio tape the officer.
That is unless you want more hassles. SERIOUSLY DO NOT DO THIS.

Approach your Local Area Command and talk with the liason officer and mention, all be it in a polite and friendly manner, the attention you seem to be grabbing, and how the recent theft of your car may have something to do with this.

Not wanting to stero-type or annoy anyone, but when you make contact make sure you are suitably dressed. Thongs, boardies, hoodies...nope, no way!

A mates daughter was always being pulled over because the car's previous owner had drug dealers for mates.
She made contact, and guess what, dosent get pulled over....
She is a P plater in a loud, lowered falcon with mags.

Regards
Paul

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #27
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
the fine should be a good reminder to display the plates

if she gets caught and you get the bill - don't give her sex for a week, she will come around soon enough

I think I will crumple first. No man can go a day without sex.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #28
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
no I am saying P platers are still learning to drive and should stop whinging about restrictions imposed to improve public safety. P platers on here are the biggest bunch of whingers I have come accross you are still learners accept that . when you are a big boy you can drive faster and drive a big boys car but you have to grow up first ( with the restrictions in place you might even get the chance )
Interestingly enough Learner Drivers seem to have less restrictions than P platers. I realise that whilst on learners they have a licenced driver next to them and once on P's on their own if wish. Most of the laws are ok I guess but the one that irritates me the most is the fact that on Learners they can do 100 or 110 (as is sign posted on highways) but once on Ps they are to do 90 in the 100 or 110.. I honestly don't quite get that.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #29
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:

I think I will crumple first. No man can go a day without sex.
She must be half decent if you are willing footing the bill for her discrepancies.

Stuff that if you ask me.

Oo\===/oO
Old 02-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #30
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Geesh 2 cop threads in the pub on one day, 200% chance of more than one person being banned, awesome!

Sleekism, FPV GT makes some excellent points, contest it in court or write to the police station, No sympathy for those that can afford the fines but when you living on the edge then you need to explore all options.

NB. Liquid Nails, or screw the bastard into the panel!
Closed Thread