Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default VFacts February '10

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576DB000A4E69

Quote:
HYUNDAI last month leapfrogged Ford into third place in monthly motor vehicles sales as the Korean importer continued its climb up the industry ladder with its best-ever monthly market share of 8.8 per cent, official VFACTS figures show.

Propelled by major growth in sales of its popular small and lights cars, the i30 and Getz, Hyundai sales jumped a whopping 73.6 per cent, to 7208 vehicles, in February – 60 more than Ford (7148), whose sales slipped 3.4 per cent on February 2009.

For the first time in living memory, former market leader Ford slipped out of the top three, with a market share of 8.7 per cent – its lowest monthly slice of the Australian market since it started assembling T-Models in Australia 85 years ago.

Its previous lowest monthly share was 8.87 per cent in January 2009, at the height of the global economic crisis.

However, Ford still holds a slender lead over Hyundai year to date, 13,878 to 13,416.

The total Australian market for February surged a solid 17.1 per cent on the same month last year, to 82,219 vehicles – 11,978 more than in February 2009.

Market leader Toyota proved that the company’s US quality problems had no rub off here when it gained volume – up 17.8 per cent to 16,814 units. Its share also increased, up 0.13 percentage points to 20.5 per cent, as Toyota retained its number one crown, well ahead of second-placed Holden on 13.6 per cent share from 11,213 vehicles.

Holden, however, outpaced the market, selling 24 per cent more vehicles year on year, led by its locally-made Commodore large car – again Australia’s top-selling car for the month with 3914 sales – and imported Captiva SUV – Australia’s top-selling SUV on 1315 units.

Toyota’s HiLux (3271 sales) and Corolla (3042) were the next best.

Hyundai’s i30 small car soared to 2926 units – a 137 per cent improvement over the same month last year – while its smaller stablemate, the ageing Getz, jumped 21.7 per cent to top the light-car segment.

With potentially mass-selling models such as the new i45 Sonata replacement and i20 light car on the launch pad for 2010, Hyundai is proving to be an ominous presence for rivals.

It wasn’t all bad news for Ford, as its locally-made vehicles, the Falcon and Territory, both gained volume compared with February 2009 – up 5.4 per cent to 2514 units and up 13.3 per cent to 867 vehicles respectively.

Ford’s European imports, the Fiesta and Mondeo, also surged, up 34.2 and 48.1 per cent respectively, while the Escape SUV also gained ground, up 93.4 per cent from a low base.

The bad news was that the Falcon Ute took a hit (down 27.9 per cent to 762 units), as did the ageing Focus small car, down 44.1 per cent to just 477 units.

Mazda, whose sales gained 9.8 per cent for the month, took fifth place in February sales with 7003 units – just 145 behind Ford - and an 8.5 per cent share.

Private buyers continued to return to the market, up 9.3 per cent on the same month last year.

FCAI chief executive Andrew McKellar described the result as “very strong”, adding that it provided further evidence of renewed growth in vehicle sales.

“It is encouraging to see private buyers edging back into the market following the financial concerns of the past year,” he said.

Business sales remained strong (22.7 per cent increase) and there was a sharp rise in the number of vehicles sold to rental companies (175 per cent increase).

“Deliveries of vehicles purchased under the business tax break are gradually phasing down and we need to examine how the market will look without the impact of economic stimulus,” Mr McKellar said.

“Looking ahead, sustaining the confidence of private buyers is the key challenge for the economy,” he said.

“For that reason we continue to be cautious about the impact of interest rate increases,” Mr McKellar said.
Commodore 3914
Falcon 2514

Captiva 1315
Territory 867

Falcon ute 762

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Think the title of this thread should be 'VFacts Feb '10', pretty poor result none the less. Ford really needed the new Territory & Focus yesterday, look out the Koreans are coming!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Chopped
as in chopped

Would anyone have the figures for the Suzuki range ?

Hyundai will not stop until it beats Toyota.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Mods, can you please change the thread title to February instead of March :-|

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
kezzer

Don't understand how the commodore can still be so high, its now a 4 year old car!
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 03-03-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: The usual
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
cool65
carefactor zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Don't understand how the commodore can still be so high, apart from the better engines, its now a 4 year old car!
Doesn't the S.A.GOV. "DEMAND" all gov vehicles be commodores?

I believe they are short $$ selling to fleet, to get throughput.

Can't believe there are 1365 idiots who are too lazy to compare soft roaders and settled for the bottom of the rung captiva
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't believe the i30 has sold 3000 in a single month. I don't care i'll never buy anything made in China / SE Asia, be it a Mitsubishi, Ford or Hyundai.

Is the commodore ute sales included under "commodore" sales?

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

I can remember when the Terri and Captiva figures were reversed.
How times have changed.
Might be too late for Terri to ever recover with no diesel in near future and with quality issue of past 12 months or so.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Was going to say.. 2500 cars in 2.5 days is a pretty decent effort. ;)
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool65
......Can't believe there are 1365 idiots who are too lazy to compare soft roaders and settled for the bottom of the rung captiva
Toyota's are the fleet princess.

Maybe those 1365 idiots couldn't see why the Territory cost thousands more but offers less !
Old 03-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Don't understand how the commodore can still be so high, its now a 4 year old car!

More cars come out of Adelaide factory then Broadmedows.
Holden dealers have more units then Ford dealers on the lot.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 03-03-2010 at 05:45 PM.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...0303-phji.html

Quote:
Toyota sales shrug off recall woes
JEZ SPINKS
March 3, 2010

Toyota has overcome a month of negative publicity regarding its recall woes to record increased sales in Australia.

The Japanese brand's reputation for quality and reliability appears to be intact despite the company recalling nearly nine million vehicles because of safety concerns that have resulted in a number of lawsuits being filed in the US.

Toyota increased its local market share to 20.5 per cent in February, with sales increasing year-on-year by 13 per cent to 16,814 to retain the company's status as Australia's favourite brand.

Second-placed Holden closed the gap slightly with a 22 per cent rise in sales, to 11,213, while Korean car maker Hyundai (7208 cars) overtook Ford (7148) for the first time to secure third spot in a month that brought more encouraging signs of a post-GFC recovery.

February's total sales of 82,219 were an improvement of 17 per cent (or nearly 12,000 vehicles) compared to this time last year.

Almost every passenger car and SUV segment recorded growth last month, with compact and luxury SUVs both achieving figures above 30 per cent.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries said private buyers were returning to the market in bigger numbers after the financial concerns of the past 18 months, but remained cautious for the months ahead.

"This is a very strong result and provides further evidence of renewed growth in vehicle sales," said FCAI chief executive Andrew McKellar. "Deliveries of vehicles purchased under the business tax break are gradually phasing down and we need to examine how the market will look without the impact of economic stimulus.

"Looking ahead, sustaining the confidence of private buyers is the key challenge for the economy."
Old 03-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
XR8putts

My uncle here in Auckland rocked up to John Andrew Ford looking to purchase a brand new FG XR6, with cash, and was turned away as they didn't have any to sell him.

The yard is essentially empty and the dealer tells him they're waiting for stock from Aus, they've been waiting months. I saw a freaking BF Falcon where they normally keep the new stuff when I drove past yesterday.

Whilst I realize VFacts refer to vehicle registrations in Aus, not vehicle production numbers, but the production rate at Ford is costing them alot of sales going by what I've read on this forum and heard first hand.

They are simply not producing enough Falcons to meet current demand. I have read all the explanations but it's not good enough anymore.

Last time I spoke to my uncle he was about to go buy the new Accord. Waiting 2-3 months was just not an option.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This quote is a load of crap!! "For the first time in living memory, former market leader Ford slipped out of the top three".. Mazda was 3rd in January last year!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #15
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

HSV would have more cars on the lot than the local Ford dealer.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #16
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

After seeing the Ford sales against Holden sales................. I'm going to be SICK!!!!!

What is it with people buying cheap, Daewooo cars with a Holden badge on it. Are these people blinded by the Light that shines from it.

I'm off to be SICK again.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
HSV would have more cars on the lot than the local Ford dealer.
Probably cause more are being sold, that goes for holden and hsv....

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #18
1TUFFUTE
Banned

gobb smacked......UNBELIEVABLE
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #19
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Hyundai’s i30 small car soared to 2926 units – a 137 per cent improvement over the same month last year – while its smaller stablemate, the ageing Getz, jumped 21.7 per cent to top the light-car segment.

Oh my god, the world is going to start spinning backwards.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #20
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
So ford isn't making enough cars? Why don't they just -up- production? Or am I missing something... If the demand is there, how hard is it to hire a few more workers? No way broad meadows is working at its peak? Anyway, goes to show that no matter how better a product it, brand image sells, it's quite stupid.

Noticed my post was edited to lol, seems I can't say anything that might come across as a + for the opposition without it being edited, or abused, watevs.
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.

Last edited by kezzer; 03-03-2010 at 07:30 PM.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #21
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Overtime in a car manufacturing environment is not as easy as we all assume, firstly, for Broadies to work OT then EVERYBODY has to agree to rock up on a saturday..... It is near impossible to run the production line with 20% of the labour missing. Also, Ford is experiencing many supplier issues at the moment. Without delving too much info, supply of parts has been unreliable to say the least.

Another point in regards to Falcon Ute, I think you will find that the low figure was once again due to supply issues.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #22
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So ford isn't making enough cars? Why don't they just -up- production? Or am I missing something... If the demand is there, how hard is it to hire a few more workers? No way broad meadows is working at its peak? Anyway, goes to show that no matter how better a product it, brand image sells, it's quite stupid.

Noticed my post was edited to lol, seems I can't say anything that might come across as a + for the opposition without it being edited, or abused, watevs.

I dont know which of you posts was edited . If its was a comment with the intention to provoke your lucky its was not deleted.
Part of the moderators job is to make sure the coversation does not get out of hand . An 99% of your posts are pro-holden so i dont think your doing to bad .

On topic number of sales are not that important . Profit is , Right now they are building to order if people are not ordering because a certain vechicle is not a available for awile , so be it go across the road and you can settle for the competition . Im sure ford know this and the pro's outway the con's . Holden want to be known as the best selling cars in oz and will do what ever it takes to stay that way .
Remember last year thry were knocking 10k of retail price . An even though there still the top selling car is oz they still dont turn a profit . So clearly what they are doing now still is not working .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #23
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
Would anyone have the figures for the Suzuki range ?

Hyundai will not stop until it beats Toyota.
Suzuki Alto 283
Suzuki APV 16
Suzuki Grand Vitara 265
Suzuki Jimny 49
Suzuki Swift 983
Suzuki SX4 171

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 09:23 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Despite the supplier issues and such, its obvious even running one or 2 saturdays a month isn't enough. Time to stop being so damn conservative and ramp up the line rate. Customers must be walking out the door in droves.

How many p55ed off potential customers do they want to lose before they decide to do something about it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #25
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
On topic number of sales are not that important . Profit is , Right now they are building to order if people are not ordering because a certain vechicle is not a available for awile , so be it go across the road and you can settle for the competition
I'm glad you're not in charge of Ford Australia.

The facts are, cash buyers ready to buy a Falcon on the spot are being turned away because there are none avaliable.

That is not good for business, no matter what kind of spin you put on it.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #26
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets face it were phucked,if you want a falcon you better wrap it in cotton wool if you plan on driving one in the near future.
seriously this is the world we live in,the big 3 mean nothing to the new generation,we are lucky toyoda had a slight hicup to give us a bit more time.shame the name falcon,valiant etc will be a historic event.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #27
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Id say Ford are riding out the last few months and will ramp up Falcon production with the new model. No point n having a heap of old stock potentially sitting around.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. People must be getting dumber. I cant beleive people would buy Epica, Barina, Captiva over the competition. Viva has been canned. I work on these things every day and are complete junk. They feel cheap and like something from 10 years ago. We had an XR5 come in the other day and all the guys flocked around and some even laughed at what Holden was putting out.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #28
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
After seeing the Ford sales against Holden sales................. I'm going to be SICK!!!!!

What is it with people buying cheap, Daewooo cars with a Holden badge on it. Are these people blinded by the Light that shines from it.

I'm off to be SICK again.
Yep, Spot on. The people you speak of are nothing more than SHEEP and if the advert is COOL and SOUND good they will take it.

Fords new quote? GO EVEN BETTER...Oh and do what holden do, Lie and make out your absolutely BRILLIANT.
:
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #29
Falcman0o7
Banned

HOLDEN...
I don't hate the cars..I hate the ************** that make them out to be the best thing since sliced bread. And i'm talking mostly about the marketing team.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #30
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
I'm glad you're not in charge of Ford Australia.

The facts are, cash buyers ready to buy a Falcon on the spot are being turned away because there are none avaliable.

That is not good for business, no matter what kind of spin you put on it.
When did you last buy a new Falcon?
I did last week, Dealers have plenty enough stock to supply just about any model to a customer that "desperate" for a car they cant wait for MTO...
Anyone desperate enough to HAVE to get a car now will take what's avaliable...
Ford customers have it relatively good, we waited over 3 months for our 2010 Mazda CX7 to be delivered.
If you really have your heart set on a particular car you'll wait.

Oh, ask any Millionaire, Profit is king over market share at a loss....