Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
bjr22n_
XR5TBO

Default Clocked at 193km/h

I just read this...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=125819

Learner clocked at 193km/h on fatal road
Thursday Dec 14 09:35 AEDT
A learner driver has been clocked at 193km/h just hours after a motorcyclist died on the same stretch of road north of Brisbane, police say.

Police said a 20-year-old Mango Hill man was caught by police at 1.45am (AEST) on a 100km/h stretch of the Bruce Highway at Murrumba Downs.

When he was intercepted, police found he had been driving on a learner's permit with two teenage girls as passengers.

Just hours before, a motorcyclist had died in an accident thought to have been caused by excessive speed.

A 38-year-old man died instantly when he ran off the road about 8.30pm (AEST) on Wednesday and his bike rolled along a grass median strip.

Witnesses told police the man had been speeding before losing control on a slight bend.

Police are investigating.

The 20-year-old learner driver will appear at Petrie Magistrates Court on January 15 charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, driving whilst unaccompanied and failing to display L plates.

DJR Team mate #14
Old 14-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Idiot.

There were two 18 years olds who had there car's impounded less than 24 hours after being going through a multanova on Lake Road in Kelmscott over here in WA.

The first car was snapped at 210km/h and his mate was following him and was also done at 186km/h

It's a great stretch of road to get some speed up but that doesn't make it right- one of those cases where it's funny because no-one got hurt. Just the aussie way to me- getting busted following your mate, that's pretty funny. Well, I reckon it is. Probably funny because they're so dumb.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 14-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Solution is simple.. Ban him from getting his licence until he is 30.. Absolute disgrace... Surely the parents will also be fined for irresponsible parenting??
Old 14-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

What an idiot. Problem is he will be let go with a slap on the wrist and will get behind the wheel of a car again and do it unlicensed next time.

Gota love the opening one liners that the media use though. Must have been driving on a dead road.
Old 14-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Some bloke got clocked the other day up my way doing about 240km/h, now that's crazy.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 14-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
photn
AFF Post NAZI

ready to watch the P plate blame now. cant wait to see what ppl will blame P plate drivers for now....

well its good to see the police are making a good impact....

Old 14-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Not all P-platers are bad ... but was amusing to see five seperate single car accidents the other morning in the rain (all fairly minor) ... all P-platers ... all Commodores ... all just after roundabouts as well.

I couldn't help but notice it ... probably enjoying the wet roads too much with lack of experience.

This was around the Mt Druitt, Doonside, Blacktown area.
Old 14-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
alstar5

That's an incredible speed, like, I couldn't imagine doing that on a public road. It makes you wonder how many times he's done it in the past and hasn't been caught.
2014 - 2014: AUII Futura SR
2015 - 2015: Kawasaki Ninja 650RL
2016 - 2016: Kawasaki Ninja 300
2018 - 2018: VZ Holden Commodore
2019: FG G6 Falcon
Old 14-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #9
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Solution is simple.. Ban him from getting his licence until he is 30.. Absolute disgrace... Surely the parents will also be fined for irresponsible parenting??
The bloke is 20 years old, hes 100% adult. I dont see how his parents are responsibe for anything. When Charlie Manson was convicted, they didnt charge his parents as well did they.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 14-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bet it was a shitbox too. No mention of performance car.

Being 20yrs old, only on their Ls at that age, and just been done at 193 says to me that they have been done for unlicenced driving before they were eligible to get their Ls.
Old 14-12-2006, 12:05 PM   #11
Wally
XP Coupe

Apparently Chicago may have a new titleholder

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/lo...346173743.html
Old 14-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #12
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

[QUOTE=Mechan1k]Not all P-platers are bad ... but was amusing to see five seperate single car accidents the other morning in the rain (all fairly minor) ... all P-platers ... all Commodores ... all just after roundabouts as well.

I couldn't help but notice it ... probably enjoying the wet roads too much with lack of experience.

[\QUOTE]

That morning I came around a large round-a-bout at about 15km/h, first it understeered, then when the front got grip, the rear end slid out. Only a minor slide, but it shows how easy it can happen.

The road was damp, and greasy... it is so easy to slid around even when taking extra care...

5 p plate commodores in accedents? thats normal :P

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 14-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #13
bjr22n_
XR5TBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Apparently Chicago may have a new titleholder

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/lo...346173743.html
gezz, 142 mph. whats that roughly 230km/h. ???

DJR Team mate #14
Old 14-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjr22n
gezz, 142 mph. whats that roughly 230km/h. ???
About 240 by my maths.
Old 14-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #15
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

he's the kinda person who F%#$s it up for the rest of us about to get our learners or already on them, i cant have a V8 untill im 25 for f*%^s sake
Old 14-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #16
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Surely the parents will also be fined for irresponsible parenting??
I can only assume your not a parent yet...

The laws in this country make it impossible for parents to deal with problem children.

My children are 16, 18 and 19, 2 driving one learning good parenting has made them responsible young adults but not everyone has the skills to be good parents or they didnt have good examples as children themselves.

Its case of blame the Govts of Australia for over legislation. If you so much as look at one of your kids the wrong way the child protection acts in all states will fall upon you big time.

So its a case of be a good parent teach your kids the correct values or just hope they learn them before they end up in jail or worse.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 14-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, just a little bit of extra info. The road mentioned is the northern freeway in Brisbane, It is at least 6 and possibly 8 lanes (depending on exactly where), extremely well lit and at 1:45am almost completely deserted (except for the obvious coppers). It is divided by a 50 metre nature strip and is one of the best roads in QLD.

193km/h is fast but I and many many others have gone much faster on roads that are not as good and it was completely legal. (Barkly, Stuart, Arnham etc in NT and QLD raceway in QLD).

He holds a learners permit, we have no idea of his driving skillset. When Craig Lowndes first got his learners he was quite capable of controlling a car at that speed. EVERYONE has to get a learners before doing their test regardless of capability.

Yes what he did was illegal but all we know is where and what time. Was he in a F6 or a Porsche which is perfectly safe at those speeds? Was he a very good driver. Was he hopeless bogan in a fully sik VL?

Too many immediately jump on the "you idiot" band wagon without all the facts. This is partially the reason for stupid speed limits and other restrictions that cause us grief on the road.

Ban him for 10 years, what a great idea? He didn't kill or hurt anyone, he just did what you me and bloody near everyone else has done somewhere or other some time in our lives. Lets make him the example so we can all point an "tut tut" while we secretly do it ourselves.

Hands up all those who have NEVER exceed the limit by 87km/h (in is a 110 zone). I have and most people I know have but usually people do it way out in the bush in secluded areas on crappier roads where it is less likely to be caught but more dangerous.

How about those who have not done 45km/h over the limit.
Or sat on the speed limit is the pouring rain with 200m visibility, legal but stupid....

God save us from the wowsers..........
Old 14-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #18
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
About 240 by my maths.
228.52km/h according to the converter on my PC
Old 14-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
193km/h is fast but I and many many others have gone much faster on roads that are not as good and it was completely legal. (Barkly, Stuart, Arnham etc in NT and QLD raceway in QLD).
Yeah but how many will openly admit to it? : I have been a passenger in a car more than capable, much faster than that.

I needed a clean pair of jocks afterwards and have not been anywhere remotely near that speed since and doubt I ever will.
Old 14-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
228.52km/h according to the converter on my PC
Yeah I did 1.69 instead of 1.609 :
Old 14-12-2006, 06:07 PM   #21
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

well said

Quote:
Yeah but how many will openly admit to it? : I have been a passenger in a car more than capable, much faster than that.

I needed a clean pair of jocks afterwards and have not been anywhere remotely near that speed since and doubt I ever will.

i will happily admit to it :-)

And on a big road with 6-8 lanes with huge visibility its really not that big a deal doing that kind of speed.

Last edited by T_Terror; 14-12-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 14-12-2006, 06:18 PM   #22
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that the perceived risk of driving at those speeds is far greater than the actual risks. Back before the powers that be decided to brainwash us into thinking that if you drive faster than the speed limit you would drop dead, people driving at 100+ mph hour was reasonably common. I don't just mean doing an occasional squirt to see how fast the car would go, but sitting on a constant high speed on the majority of long trips to reduce the time spent driving.

I also believe that drivers cope more flack for driving at such speeds than they would if the caused a fatality as the result of doing something very common such as tailgating
Old 14-12-2006, 06:32 PM   #23
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
i will happily admit to it :-)

And on a big road with 6-8 lanes with huge visibility its really not that big a deal doing that kind of speed.
I don't think I've personally ever gone as fast as this bloke. Most I've taken the WRX up to would be about 160 at a guess, and that was because I had some ****er giving me shit and even in 10km increments he still wouldn't get off my butt.

So blew the doors off him completely! I don't think I need to mention the car he was driving. Still illegal but better than getting my boot smashed in.
Old 14-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #24
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

: And L platers are aloud to drive blown v8s and turbos
Old 14-12-2006, 06:42 PM   #25
Sledgehammer
Banned

Quote:
Ok, just a little bit of extra info. The road mentioned is the northern freeway in Brisbane, It is at least 6 and possibly 8 lanes (depending on exactly where), extremely well lit and at 1:45am almost completely deserted (except for the obvious coppers). It is divided by a 50 metre nature strip and is one of the best roads in QLD.

He holds a learners permit, we have no idea of his driving skillset. When Craig Lowndes first got his learners he was quite capable of controlling a car at that speed. EVERYONE has to get a learners before doing their test regardless of capability.

Yes what he did was illegal but all we know is where and what time. Was he in a F6 or a Porsche which is perfectly safe at those speeds? Was he a very good driver. Was he hopeless bogan in a fully sik VL?

Too many immediately jump on the "you idiot" band wagon without all the facts. This is partially the reason for stupid speed limits and other restrictions that cause us grief on the road.

Ban him for 10 years, what a great idea? He didn't kill or hurt anyone, he just did what you me and bloody near everyone else has done somewhere or other some time in our lives. Lets make him the example so we can all point an "tut tut" while we secretly do it ourselves.

Hands up all those who have NEVER exceed the limit by 87km/h (in is a 110 zone). I have and most people I know have but usually people do it way out in the bush in secluded areas on crappier roads where it is less likely to be caught but more dangerous.

How about those who have not done 45km/h over the limit.
Or sat on the speed limit is the pouring rain with 200m visibility, legal but stupid....

God save us from the wowsers..........

Well said my friend.
Old 14-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #26
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
: And L platers are aloud to drive blown v8s and turbos
Are they? I didn't think they were but then again they usually have their parents sitting next to them so I hardly think you would be game to do that speed with your parents in the car.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 14-12-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 14-12-2006, 06:52 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Hands up all those who have NEVER exceed the limit by 87km/h (in is a 110 zone) ..........
The guy was on his Ls though ... so he was really exceeding the licenced speed limit by 113km/h (last time i remember L-platers were only being allowed to do 80km/h).

And I can safely say I haven't exceeded the speed limit by as much as you mention ... I do value my life.
Old 14-12-2006, 07:04 PM   #28
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Are they? I didn't think they were but then again they usually have their parents sitting next to them so I hardly so you would be game to do that speed with your parents in the car.
Yep, but p platers cant drive them with a full license driver sitting right next to them (and owns the car)
Old 14-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #29
HOON69
Banned

childs play
ya'll havent been in brisbane long enough regular accurance even for that stetch of road
only reason he got caught was because police were in the area thanks to that fatality etc

200 is a regular occurance by idiots in their hundreds from friday till monday morning
its dangerous its stupid and its life sorry but if you saw the road its not like it was a single lane school zone etc?
easily tempted to clock it on that road but my judgement got the better of me ;)

and before ya'll bag this guy out think of this
FFAU :
i got a few on filmage doing double digits ;) (but i aint telling as it was ages ago)
Old 14-12-2006, 07:14 PM   #30
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog

Its case of blame the Govts of Australia for over legislation. If you so much as look at one of your kids the wrong way the child protection acts in all states will fall upon you big time.

I would be interested to see the Bill or indeed the Act of parliament for which you have reason to blame the government.

Regarding the article, im confused about the relevance of a fatality occuring shortly before they were caught. How did this affect the probability of another fatal crash occuring?

Stupidity is stupidity... it doesnt require a relative measure. Suggesting that a fatal accident occured shortly before this person was done just clouds the issue.