Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Default Diff Gears ???

Changing the diff gears in my ute is on my to do list but wondering what ratio to go .. either 3.9 or 4.11? Not much between them i realise but being an old school car owner i've had plenty of ratio's but with 3 speed auto's only so the AU being 4 speed what's peoples opinions?
Also this will throw the speedo out i'm guessing so what do i change to get it right again with the new diff centre?

Darren.

BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Diff Gears ???

Whats the cars intended purpose? As 4.11s arent very streetable. And offer no real benefit on engines that arent extemely modified.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Whats the cars intended purpose? As 4.11s arent very streetable. And offer no real benefit on engines that arent extemely modified.
I barely drive it cause of my work truck so it's more of abit of fun streeter atm. It has extractors, cats, dumped exhaust atm .. i have another TB to put on and it will get a tune eventually but that's about it for now.
Old 15-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

IMO, I think 3.7 or 3.9s would more than suffice.
Old 15-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

i run 3.9's in my au Lots of fun to be had ) just sayin
Old 15-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
IMO, I think 3.7 or 3.9s would more than suffice.
It runs 3.45 factory so nearly 3.5, 3.7 wouldn't be worth it i reckon ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by POELWYK
i run 3.9's in my au Lots of fun to be had ) just sayin
I'm leaning this way atm ..
Old 15-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry buddy but you clearly aren't talking from experience. 4.11's are perfect for the street, just not so crash hot for highway trips. And even on a bog stock engine, they are the most bang for buck modification you can think of.

To the OP, drive your car on the highway in thrid, if it isn't too lound and you can live with less then 400km to a tank on the highway then get the 4.11's well worth it.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
Sorry buddy but you clearly aren't talking from experience. 4.11's are perfect for the street, just not so crash hot for highway trips. And even on a bog stock engine, they are the most bang for buck modification you can think of.

To the OP, drive your car on the highway in thrid, if it isn't too lound and you can live with less then 400km to a tank on the highway then get the 4.11's well worth it.
Like i said earlier i don't drive it much and i'm not stressed about fuel economy .. it's just something to add for more fun
Old 15-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool, if you want more fun get the 4.11's. I know people who fitted 3.9's to later swap them for 4.11's. I don't know anyone who hase gone from 4.11's to 3.9's.
Doesn't really matter how much you drive it, more what you do with it. If you use it for trips away you will want some decent mufflers and sound deadener, but around town it'll keep a smile stretched across your face.
Old 15-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

What about the speedo? Running 4.11's & 20" wheels would throw it out a fair bit so what needs to be changed to get it accurate again?
Old 15-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #11
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get an electronic speedo corrector from jaycar, you need two of them though, one between the speedo drive and the dash, and one on the wire from the dash to the ecm. Or just the one will do if you plan on getting it tuned.
Old 15-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

what you talkin about Willis???
Old 15-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #13
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
You can get an electronic speedo corrector from jaycar, you need two of them though, one between the speedo drive and the dash, and one on the wire from the dash to the ecm. Or just the one will do if you plan on getting it tuned.
Cool, i'll pop into Jaycar tomorrow since i work next door to them lol ..
Old 15-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
By streetable I mean in all public road scenarios. Which happen to include Highways.

I know plenty of folk that wouldnt tolerate 4.11 for street use & are happy with 3.45-3.9. And they aint bog stock cars.

Like the OP wanted, I offered my opinion. Based on my experience, and I dont like 4.11. My argument for their suitability on an AUs stock engine is still valid, given that you hardly put that gearing to proper & full use. Thats not to say they dont offer an "improvement" to a style of driving, its just not something id personally would do.
Id still be more than happy with whatever the OP chooses to do, because its his car. And if he's happy, thats all that matters really.
Old 15-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #15
BZINGA