Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default diagnosis?

so not sure if you have read my previous threads about the issue i am having with my car.

Symptoms: The first time this happened, when i started the car up it sounded like the belt slipping. Being only 2 months after buying, and being aa previously neglected car, i thought it was logical. Drove to work, which is 20kms one way, with the car squarking its head off. As i left work that arvo, it struggled to move. Pulled over, turned it off, fired her up with still a horrible noise and struggling to move. Limped it to the nearest garage where a few things were done as maintenance inc. alternator, water pump, pulleys, serp belt adn cooling sustem. When i picked it up it was a little better and the mechanic speculated the balancer.

So more recently, often while driving, it will make the horrible noise followed by a drop in engine power for a moment. It may happen one after the other, sometimes randomly, sometimes from start up and somtimes while idle-ing. I have noticed that if i pull over and put it in nutural for a sec it can be ok. Feels like it is struggling to get fuel in the mornings also.

Video of sound at idle.

Cars in agarage atm getting new headers n cats, swaybars, plugs, coil pack n leads, balancer, oil, oil filter, fuel filter and shortly CAI (and probably ACRON box).

Diagnosis?

Some on here have suggested cam synchronizer? My first V8, so not that cluey, but it feels like something is struggling to rotate so cam synchro? crank sensor?

Thoughts????

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Default Re: diagnosis?

That sound slike your starter motor is trying to engage while the car is running still.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL
That sound slike your starter motor is trying to engage while the car is running still.
It is a similar sound to that, but i think thats more the video/sound quality. But yes, does sound very similar.

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 01-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds nasty, it did`nt look like the belt jumped or anything when the cocky screeched , but who knows , maybe try the big screw driver stetherscope trick on the tappet cover, water pump housing, power steer housing,timing cover,air con pump housing on the actual starter while it`s on ramps etc very very carefully, it`s hard to wear a hat with a big screw driver through the nogon .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

The squeal noise sounds like a shot or dry bearing in one of your idlers or the power steer pump or air con compressor. Maybe the a/c clutch is shagged.

You said he replaced the alternator and water pump. What other pully bearings/assys did he also replace? Id say its one of them he didnt.
A replacement power steer pulley is the p/s box out and apart, possibly totally reco and the a/c pulley would need the compressor removed and system de-gassed etc..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
The squeal noise sounds like a shot or dry bearing in one of your idlers or the power steer pump or air con compressor. Maybe the a/c clutch is shagged.

You said he replaced the alternator and water pump. What other pully bearings/assys did he also replace? Id say its one of them he didnt.
A replacement power steer pulley is the p/s box out and apart, possibly totally reco and the a/c pulley would need the compressor removed and system de-gassed etc..
All the pulleys and bearings were replaced from memory. May need to chase up with the mechanic about that one.

Does the AC need to be turned on for the cluth to be engaged? never fooled around with these before.

While the car is in the garage, ill ask the mechanic to keep looking around.

Current
Previous

Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

The main reason I mentioned the p/s and a/c bearings is because their not just a simple R & R replacement while its all in situ. Changeover p/s and a/c would have seen the cost of those repairs up there to the point that usually leaves you felt like you were royally bent over..

All the idlers, alternator and water pump are simple change over items that you can just replace with off the shelf parts, the a/c especially requires more work. P/s pumps can be bought of a p/s place off the shelf, but they would be like 250 plus just for a changeover unit, no fitting.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
rmack

I second the starter motor. Our old EF did in a return spring and it sounding like that.
7" DVD/GPS Radio
19" Wheels

HIS
FG XR8 Ute
Lux Pack
Tech Pack
Touch Screen GPS
rmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok. thanks for the advice guys. I'll have to have a look at some point.

Current
Previous