Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #1
-jjM-
Banned

Default major problems

major problems here, went for a drive just now, and dirving along after i came to a full stoped, put the pedal down, not foot to floor, but sounds like car is chockin or something, its all coming from the exhust, foot down, exhust is like shacking and everything, got a really rough idel too, stoped or goin, i cant figure out what the hell it is, i parked it, and reved it and it shaked when had pedel half way, its prity bad, dose anyone have a clue what it is, help much appreciated

-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

blocked catalytic convertor is my guess

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #3
-jjM-
Banned

just replaced wit a new one, this was lightly happenin b4 it was replaced too
Old 15-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #4
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Blocked fuel filter. Also check the filter in the tank. If it's not that the pump maybe giving up the ghost. Do you run it very low on fuel?

Old 15-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
niko
likes falcon's

would injectors be affected at all?
Old 15-03-2006, 10:25 PM   #6
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something else I've seen with the Ford 4.0 is plug leads go bad. My EL and a mates EL turned into 4cyls when the leads went.

Old 15-03-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
volcom20
Ef Fairmont

As I posted in your other thread which was pretty much the exact same topic :P - Maybe a sticky injector, check your spark leads as well (sounds basic, but can happen when one's half off), as well as checking your timing
volcom20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #8
-jjM-
Banned

yea cheers volcom20

ill check out leads, and investigate the injectors 2morw, fuel i think is fine, very sure theres plenty gettin in, before i changed the motor over, i had a smaller fuel regulator on, and it was chocking, after i replaced it wit the proper one, id returned to normal as well, i didnt have any issues with exhusts then
Old 15-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #9
volcom20
Ef Fairmont

Ah, sorry, I just completely overlooked something.

Try kicking the car over, and letting it idle, and lie under the boot of the car, and hit the petrol tank about 8 times (Good solid thumps)

Same thing happened in my EL when the fuel pump was on the way out.

Fuel filter is another posible cause, but try thumping it bottem of the petrol tank, then giving it a rev.
volcom20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #10
EDXR6T

im thinking it might b a vacume leak

wen donk was swaped the lead's were changed
plus i dont see the timing being out

it might b a fuel filter he dosent run the car with a full tank very often
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
-jjM-
Banned

ok, check out a few things over past few days

check out the air box, nothing in there
checked injectors (unplugged 1 by 1) and dosent seem to make a difference
bout to check out the dizzy if its craked, someone told me might even be dizzy moduel itself, but i dont think its firing or nthing here
changed map sensors over, no difference, runnin wit the new one atm
got some fuel system cleaner fluid and chucked that in 2day, ill run her around the block a few times but dosent seem to be fuel anymore ethir

iv noticed now that when i put it flat to the floor, shell loose power and is about to stall, but when i put 1/4 down shes fine, from stop and when im just driving, its only when im at top speeds 80kms that i can ethir 1/2 foot or foot to floor

also, each and everytime i do rev her, qwickly or slowly, i have the same exhust problems, shacking around at the back

anyone have a clue?
Old 18-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
Scott

Had a similar thing on the missus EF 5.0ltr, was an air/fuel sensor or something. Couldn't accelerate with any more than a little throttle, shook all over the place & blew a lot of weed out the pipes.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 06:00 PM   #13
-jjM-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
Had a similar thing on the missus EF 5.0ltr, was an air/fuel sensor or something. Couldn't accelerate with any more than a little throttle, shook all over the place & blew a lot of weed out the pipes.
been lookin around fuel/air too, do u know how it was fixed exacly? much appreciated mate
Old 18-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #14
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jjM-
been lookin around fuel/air too, do u know how it was fixed exacly? much appreciated mate
Oooh, was a couple of years ago! From memory, it cost about $350 to get it sorted. They just changed the sensor and it was brand new again. If I can find the invoice, I'll be able to give you a better idea.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #15
efgiar
rofl copter

do u have a rear muffler? check that... the hyandi rentabomb car did that...

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #16
-jjM-
Banned

done

cars back to normaly again, went over a few things again, the pvc valve we thought was cloked or just gone, replaced that but still rang like :P, next checked out injectors again, i took it to mechanic, and said sounds like spark, then checked my water and said might even be a gasket, recons the water has dropped qwiet a bit :S thats when i saw my wallet fly away :P

....but when down, bought some NGK R spark plugs, fixed it started up good again, and ran alot better to if not a bit better then b4, i didnt change them when i chucked the motor in, they seemed fine, but when i pulled em out, they looked kinda cruddy :P

i also checked out this water droppin, it didnt drop :S sittin like it always has :S but to sure i guess ill flush it all

problem solved :d thanks for the help fellas
Old 20-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #17
niko
likes falcon's

u can usually tell there going based on fuel usage
Old 20-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #18
-jjM-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
u can usually tell there going based on fuel usage
i did noticed the bill for fuel was heavy, thats why now i drive the xf gas around a lil more then the eb :P

taken her for a drives now and runs alot better now which im glad
Old 20-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #19
EL_futura
Starter Motor

Quote:
ok, check out a few things over past few days

checked injectors (unplugged 1 by 1) and dosent seem to make a difference

anyone have a clue?
This would still be bit of a concern. Have you performed since replacing your spark plugs? Could just be a temporary fix... then again could be nothing. Worth checking out though - get a compression test done

Cheers
MAtt
EL_futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 01:11 AM   #20
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
done

cars back to normaly again (FINALLY!!)
Went over a few things again (thanks to mick for coming around saturday night till the early hours of sunday). The pvc valve we discovered was defective, replaced that but still rang like :P, next checked out injectors again, i took it to Doc Brown at Fairmonts Gear and said "Great Scott! sounds like spark", then checked my water and said "might even be a gasket, recons the water has dropped quite a bit in the space time continum" :S thats when i saw my wallet fly away :P

....but when down, bought some NGK R spark plugs, fixed it started up good again, and ran alot better to if not a bit better then b4, i didnt change them when i chucked the motor in, they seemed fine, but when i pulled em out, they looked kinda cruddy :P

i also checked out this water droppin, it didnt drop :S sittin like it always has :S but to sure i guess ill flush it all I should listen to mick that it probly had a blockage somewhere and Its just cleared itself OR i didnt even check the waterlevel as i painted the coolant bottle black and only Mr XRay Specs could see in there

problem solved :d thanks for the help fellas and its good to see steve out and about on the footpath
Just corrected your post Joey Joe joe shab shab shabbado

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :

Last edited by InitialD; 21-03-2006 at 01:23 AM.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 01:16 AM   #21
-jjM-
Banned

LOL @ DOC BROWN and STEVE