Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
XR_6falcon

Default electrical problem..?

Hey all i have a AU S3 xr6 and it has a strange problem. Sometimes while driving along everything on the dash and the sterio will sort of flash/reset, and when i come to a stop and turn the car off it will completly die. I checked the battery terminals, they are nice and tight and the alternator is charging the battery. Has happend twice now and I am starting to get worried, has anyone expericed this before and any ideas how to fix it?

Cheers!

Smoke tyres, not drugs
XR_6falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
philfree

Default Re: electrical problem..?

What do you mean by die like can't restart?
philfree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
XR_6falcon

as in the dash goes blank the clock goes blank but when i turn the key everything comes back?

edit: the first time it happend i had a play with battery termianls and E came up on the dash and odo came back up

Smoke tyres, not drugs
Old 16-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be looking for a bad earth

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

You mention that the clock goes blank? When it comes back, is the time correct or been reset? If time is still correct, power or earth has not been lost. You may need to dig deeper - possibly ignition switch? Just a guess, when you turn ignition off, everything goes blank. Is this the same as what it does under the fault condition?

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
XR_6falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
You mention that the clock goes blank? When it comes back, is the time correct or been reset? If time is still correct, power or earth has not been lost. You may need to dig deeper - possibly ignition switch? Just a guess, when you turn ignition off, everything goes blank. Is this the same as what it does under the fault condition?

Stu

the first time it "died" i had to reset the clock and radio stations and the second time only had to reset the radio, so im leaning towards a bad earth atm. Also its not the same under fault condition the odo reading normally stays on all the time and when it dies the dash goes blank

Smoke tyres, not drugs
Old 18-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Yes, tend to agree. Bad earth or supply to the fuse box. Good luck in chasing it.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
XR_6falcon

instead of making a new thread i thought i would just add to this one. It has developed a pretty bad miss fire now, although when its cold its fine but once it warms up it starts to miss and carry on. At idle there is a quite a bad miss! I changed the fuel pump and filter because i was having starting issues not enough pressure when primeing. Now my question is could it be the coil pack cause all these issues?

Smoke tyres, not drugs
Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Coil pack sounds like a possible culprit for the rough running issue but I doubt it'll have anything to do with your electrical gremlin.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post