Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Dr Jekkyl

Default Early Activation of Cooling Failsafe?

Strange issue.

When under load the temp guage is rising (to R or M of NORMAL) and then the engine starts 'chugging'.

I presume this is the coolant failsafe kicking in but this seems WAY too early.

I am thinking it's a sensor problem but would love to hear your opinions.

Dr Jekkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
smally289
growing up is optional

Default Re: Early Activation of Cooling Failsafe?

Need more info. Is the engine actually misfiring? If it is due to high coolant temp then it will miss at idle and not just under load. Also the miss will not be spark related as the system shuts off the injectors in a set sequence.
If your miss is under load then I suspect it is just a lead (very common) or maybe a coil pack. Sometimes these are only felt when hot.
If it is more of a surge on light acceleration then maybe it is being caused by the early lock up of the torque convertor due to the increased coolant temp. The PCM does this to try and cool it down when it gets too hot.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe the gauge is wrong , perhaps it`s actually hotter than that? got coolant?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Further to what Mik said, if your gauge is wrong it may be that your temp sensor in the back of the head is faulty. I had a similar issue except at the other end of the scale, my gauge was struggling to get up into the normal zone which seemed to be affecting my mixtures on gas, causing my converter to start to freeze up after start up for the first few minutes. A change of temp sensor fixed it. If you do have a faulty temp sensor then you still have an overheating issue to deal with. How old is your radiator and when was the last time it was flushed?

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Hi Jekkyl. The gauge is not really an accurate guide, but from what I have read and discovered from the tuning side of things, most gauges on the AUs are very similar. To give you a guide, when I first started tuning my car, (one of the logged fields is Engine Coolant Temp), my gauge was sitting around the 'O' of normal which when looking at the actual ECTs, was from 200 to 210 degF, which is around 93 to 99 degC. Way too hot and close to boiling.

With your gauge showing so high, my guess would be that you are above boiling and the only thing stopping it boiling will be the pressure in the system and the anti-boil. As for the behaviour of the car when it is hot, I do know that the tune will start retarding the timing when ECTs get too hot, so maybe that is what is happening.

Either way, I suggest you get it checked out before any more damage is done. Most radiator places will do a free assesment for you.

Hope that helps.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
If it is more of a surge on light acceleration then maybe it is being caused by the early lock up of the torque convertor due to the increased coolant temp. The PCM does this to try and cool it down when it gets too hot.
Interesting. I've experienced shuddering on acceleration (then surge when I back off) when my coolant was low. At the time I was told it was because the oil was overheating, which was making it too thin inside the torque converter.

Failsafe cooling seems to be almost totally useless if your trans overheats while the engine keeps going?
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post