Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Diff is wrecked.

Well my diff has just started making some clunky noises when underload. Its a loud bang but im not sure what it could be, Thought it could be the handbrake as its fairly loose. Anyone else no what it could be.

51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
BLOWNXR8UTE
345rwkw BLOWN XR8 UTE

sounds like a cracked carrier to me. The bang would be the spider gears mashing and not meshing.
BLOWNXR8UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWNXR8UTE
sounds like a cracked carrier to me. The bang would be the spider gears mashing and not meshing.
would u be able to hear that all over the car? i can only hear it come threw my left ear. not my right. If someone sticks there head out the left side of the car they say its the rear, stick your head out the right hand side they say its sounds like something on the other side.... hmm its weird and getting to me cause the lsd is barely 5000km old.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
BLOWNXR8UTE
345rwkw BLOWN XR8 UTE

rip the disk off and check your handbrake theory, it could be that now you have said that, hopefully your right, for ya pockets sake!
BLOWNXR8UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #5
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWNXR8UTE
rip the disk off and check your handbrake theory, it could be that now you have said that, hopefully your right, for ya pockets sake!
yea my mate said something about the handbrake isn't that tight, so the "something" is moving around and causing a bang. So adjust the handbrake tight and see what happens?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The clunk is also not constant, its only every so often, its not like clunk clunk clunk as i drive just every so often, normally when i put my foot down it do it
Old 10-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

universal joint?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #8
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
universal joint?
how can u tell there buggered?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

universals can clunk around abit when they are badly worn (usually on a higher mileage car), while its on a hoist is easiest (and safest)to check them and driveline sloppiness, should`nt cost to much .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 01:39 AM   #10
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yea my bro thinks its the universal joint in the rear, so picked up 2 new ones today $26 each, so will be fitting them tomorrow see what happens.
Old 14-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my diff clunks.. it comes through as sloppyness if you lightly feather the throttle on and off you can feel it take up the slack and bang and the bang when it hits the other side of what ever its playing (each side of a cog tooth or somthing)

my tailshaft moves about 1/2" or more each direction if you spin it with the handbrake on and the car on the ground

not much help for your clunk.. but id see maybe if its even anything to do with the driveline.. may be a loose suspension bolt??