Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-03-2023, 12:07 AM   #1
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Just when you thought VW couldn't do worse than the emissions scandal...

So, recently we were talking about the Ford Autonomous repossession tech... Which I mentioned my wider concern about the industry.

Well this came out recently (I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up) in America whereby VW refused to give law enforcement officers the whereabouts of a stolen car with a 2 year old inside, because the pregnant mother having been beaten and then run over by the thieves of her car (and 2 year old) forgot to pay her monthly subscription to keep that optioned enabled... Only after the outstanding bill had covered did VW give the location... I mean... There's just no words for this...

https://youtu.be/FUd8SxFhc-U
(Full disclosure, this is one of the right to repair advocates in the states, so he comes at it from that angle)

https://www.businessinsider.com/volk...-mother-2023-2

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2023, 02:34 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Just when you thought VW couldn't do worse than the emissions scandal...

Louis Rossmann is a legend taking up the fight for right for repair, that guy who is based in the tech industry is fighting hard for legislation that also helps out auto tradies US-wide.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-03-2023, 07:32 AM   #3
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Just when you thought VW couldn't do worse than the emissions scandal...

I'm just staggered the initial call taker from the police behaved the way they did...surely the second thing they were taught was respond to police requests...the first thing they obviously were taught is don't track if account not paid....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2023, 10:21 AM   #4
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't sound like the issue was with VW, rather, with the third-party that car-tracking was contracted out to. Sounds like somebody's losing the contract.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2023, 01:20 PM   #5
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Could obstruction law cover this?
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2023, 06:28 PM   #6
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The a*** covering will be interesting.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2023, 06:44 PM   #7
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which cars actually have this tech implemented and in use? Curious to know what "control" means in this case. Stop the car and lock the doors?

Quote:
Carjackers stole a Volkswagen with a 2-year-old child inside and when police contacted Volkswagen Car-Net, a system that can control the car remotely, to get help finding it, they were told it would cost $150, authorities said.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2023, 10:44 PM   #8
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate worked for BMW they have had the tech for several years. I remember there was a company offering an aftermarket version and for some high risk vehicles it was the only way to get insurance.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2023, 11:20 AM   #9
DK30RB

I have an Audi, it has the ability to be tracked, locked and unlocked from my phone.

I assume Audi would be able to disable the vehicle if required.

Previous BMW had it too.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2023, 12:15 PM   #10
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Could obstruction law cover this?
I'm kinda disappointed the police didnt offer charges for obstruction as well as accessory to kidnapping
Old 15-03-2023, 01:49 PM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Eh, it was a once off stuff up by the organisation (not VW). The process worked before but this time it was likely a newbie on the phone and wasn't able to manage the situation. But being good old USA law suits will happen.
Old 19-03-2023, 10:20 PM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who invented VW?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2023, 06:48 AM   #13
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Who invented VW?
Volkswagen means ‘peoples car’(Volks Wagon) & that is what the original VW beetle was designed to be.Ferdinand Porsche is the name that comes up most often as the creator of the Beetle.However,it was actually a Jewish engineer named Josef Ganz who had the first idea of a ‘people’s car’.It was actually founded in 1937 by the German labour front under the Nazi party & revived into a global brand post WW11 by the British Army officer Ivan Hirst.
Old 20-03-2023, 09:56 AM   #14
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

any modem enabled car should be able to do this. Ford don't even need a paid subscription afaik
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2023, 12:58 PM   #15
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
any modem enabled car should be able to do this.
The idea alone concerns me....
Old 20-03-2023, 07:26 PM   #16
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
The idea alone concerns me....
you should be able to turn it off on the user end. But there are advantages for fleet managers. I can see mileage and oil life on my cars so I know when they are due for a service
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post