Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-03-2023, 07:15 PM   #1
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Default Ford looking to implement "self-repossession" software into future autonomous vehicles

https://www.drive.com.au/news/ford-c...your-payments/

The critics will say, "So long as you make your repayments every month you have nothing to worry about." However, I see plenty to be concerned about with such technology, and the potential for it to be abused.

The article makes mention that for even non-autonomous vehicles, Ford may install technology by way of over-the-air updates that may limit a vehicles ability to start, or just curtail the functionality of myriad software.

I've never been one to don the tinfoil hat, and perhaps it's just me getting old, but a lot of this stuff I just don't like. I don't see how any of it adds value to the consumer. All I see is risk, with no actual reward for the end user.

The only benefit I see is retrieval of a stolen vehicle will be a lot easier. However, it stands to reason that it will be a lot easier to steal vehicles if the system is hacked by a scrupulous individual with nefarious intentions.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2023, 07:43 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Ford looking to implement "self-repossession" software into future autonomous vehicles

I agree, it raises significant concerns, tie it in with China's social credit score system and you got a recipe for clamping down on people you don't like what they have to say.

I liked the era where cars, fridges, microwaves, ovens and light bulbs weren't connected to the internet to 'phone home'.

I also don't like it because the automotive industry has less than 1% of the experience the IT industry does when it comes to device security, you can see this with how all the Honda's from 2016-2020 and their proximity keys have an exploit you can do with a Flipper Zero to emulate its proximity key to unlock and start the car.

Then instead of spending the money to fix it, they just deny the problem
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2023, 10:34 PM   #3
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford looking to implement "self-repossession" software into future autonomous vehicles

That ain’t good.
I’ve never missed a car, mortgage or any payment in my life but this sort of stuff is not good. They make it sound reasonable by only punishing the poor who overcommit to payments. However what’s the next step?
“Someone reported seeing your car driving dangerously, we are going to disable it for the greater good of society with no proof until you prove it’s not true”
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2023, 12:47 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I agree, it raises significant concerns, tie it in with China's social credit score system and you got a recipe for clamping down on people you don't like what they have to say.

I liked the era where cars, fridges, microwaves, ovens and light bulbs weren't connected to the internet to 'phone home'.

I also don't like it because the automotive industry has less than 1% of the experience the IT industry does when it comes to device security, you can see this with how all the Honda's from 2016-2020 and their proximity keys have an exploit you can do with a Flipper Zero to emulate its proximity key to unlock and start the car.

Then instead of spending the money to fix it, they just deny the problem
Absolutely it does. Combine this with digital currency and you have an authoritarian governments wet dream. This would give huge control over the masses. If to anyone who says this won't happen, just look at what the Canadian government did to anyone who donated to the truckers who were protesting vaccine mandates. They froze their bank accounts.

Make a post on social media critisizing the government and they would have the potential to completely screw you.

But in saying that, this is only a patent for an idea, and Ford and other manufacturers apply for thousands of these every year that never make it into the public domain. I hope this one never does. Although it would be useful to stop car thieves.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-03-2023, 02:35 PM   #5
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This could be for their own financial arm maybe? Ford wouldn’t have a reason to provide this service to any other lender.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2023, 04:33 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
This could be for their own financial arm maybe? Ford wouldn’t have a reason to provide this service to any other lender.
If this benefits the finance companies, you know who is paying for this development.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2023, 01:59 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Don't forget, just because Ford are looking into it, doesn't mean they'll implement it.

They'll come up with ideas of a potential product/service and patient it to safegaurd their idea from other companies.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2023, 04:00 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Don't forget, just because Ford are looking into it, doesn't mean they'll implement it.

They'll come up with ideas of a potential product/service and patient it to safegaurd their idea from other companies.
Someone saw the patent for tis idea and now Ford is catching heat for it
but I wonder how many other manufacturers are in the same mind with
these sort of interactive payment or subscription based software activities…..

What sounds like a good idea in theory will raise a hornets nest of protests,
manufacturers acting against their buyers never ends well…..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2023, 04:06 PM   #9
.:4:.
Kicking back

So im assuming the car itself would need a simcard to connect to the 5g network. Also assuming the car would be disabled if said repo was issued. So what happens if you dont pay the cars phone bill or take the sim card out? Is it just perminantly disabled? What happens years down the track when say the 5g network becomes redundant and is switched off? What happens if you drive across the nullabor and there is no service?
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2023, 05:18 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
So im assuming the car itself would need a simcard to connect to the 5g network. Also assuming the car would be disabled if said repo was issued. So what happens if you dont pay the cars phone bill or take the sim card out? Is it just perminantly disabled? What happens years down the track when say the 5g network becomes redundant and is switched off? What happens if you drive across the nullabor and there is no service?
You do not need a sim card, just google up the way early CDMA mobile phones worked, nothing wrong applying mixture of old tech with new.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2023, 05:28 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I watched a YT rebuild/repair on a newer US ute recently, it was stolen and then recovered in a crashed state. The thieves had used it for a while, averting the onboard satnav (which would have given away its location) by cutting some cables for the antenna, behind the head unit.

Spoofing/jamming the location data would surely be quickly worked out.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2023, 08:44 PM   #12
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The idea of Self Repossession would be OK as long as it works both ways.
That is, if the Car is a Lemon, it also returns to the Dealer for a refund.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2023, 09:05 PM   #13
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Honey, where's the car?"
"Uh. I was up with the baby all night. I must have forgotten the payment! It must've driven itself to the Repo Man!"
"How am I going to get to work? I'll be fired, then we'll lose the house!"

End Scene. Pan to road. William Wallace drives by in an AU

William Wallace (head out window): "FREEDOM!"
Old 06-03-2023, 10:34 PM   #14
dandaman

it's not just repossessions I'm worried about with this tech. imagine the next pandemic and we are all forced into lockdowns again.

all these cars will be paperweights. or you'll only be allowed to drive to your nearest shop within a certain range.

I'm sure I'll be called crazy but it'll happen one day
dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2023, 10:58 PM   #15
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Just look at what occurred in Canada to see what is coming for us all.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2023, 11:51 AM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Good result. Stuff like this needs to be hit on the head. More control over the masses needs to be stamped out.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/03/fo...e-implemented/

Ford routinely files a number of patents on essentially a daily basis, working around the clock to secure intellectual property rights to all sorts of different ideas – some more feasible than others. However, one recently filed patent – which outlines an idea for a Ford vehicle repossession technology that could actually allow vehicles to essentially repossess themselves – understandably stirred up quite a bit of controversy recently. Luckily for those concerned about that type of tech, this Ford vehicle repossession technology apparently won’t actually be coming to a vehicle near us after all, according to NPR.

“We don’t have any plans to deploy this,” said Ford spokesperson Wes Sherwood. “We submit patents on new inventions as a normal course of business but they aren’t necessarily an indication of new business or product plans.”
Old 07-03-2023, 12:35 PM   #17
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

This kind of thing concerns me, not only because you could lose your car through no fault of your own, or even because of your own decisions... But what concerns me the most is that with big business fighting tooth and nail to remove US citizens right to repair, what's stopping tech like this being used to shut down, repossess or worse your vehicle cause you didn't use genuine parts or have it serviced at their dealer network? A type of market control that only serves to line that businesses pockets even more and remove your rights to the object you bought and "supposedly own"!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2023, 01:41 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
This kind of thing concerns me, not only because you could lose your car through no fault of your own, or even because of your own decisions... But what concerns me the most is that with big business fighting tooth and nail to remove US citizens right to repair, what's stopping tech like this being used to shut down, repossess or worse your vehicle cause you didn't use genuine parts or have it serviced at their dealer network? A type of market control that only serves to line that businesses pockets even more and remove your rights to the object you bought and "supposedly own"!
Tesla already does it.
Old 07-03-2023, 03:24 PM   #19
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The future will be like Demolition Man where the old muscle car explodes out on the streets from underground and everything above ground is far too pansy to stand up to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O73J5ATM0bI
Old 07-03-2023, 03:36 PM   #20
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Danger will Robinson! Then it’s only a small step to where you yourself might be wanted by the police (outstanding fines/warrant) etc, hop in your car, doors lock and a message pops up that your car is conveying you to the nearest police station.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 11-03-2023, 09:09 AM   #21
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Good result. Stuff like this needs to be hit on the head. More control over the masses needs to be stamped out.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/03/fo...e-implemented/

Ford routinely files a number of patents on essentially a daily basis, working around the clock to secure intellectual property rights to all sorts of different ideas – some more feasible than others. However, one recently filed patent – which outlines an idea for a Ford vehicle repossession technology that could actually allow vehicles to essentially repossess themselves – understandably stirred up quite a bit of controversy recently. Luckily for those concerned about that type of tech, this Ford vehicle repossession technology apparently won’t actually be coming to a vehicle near us after all, according to NPR.

“We don’t have any plans to deploy this,” said Ford spokesperson Wes Sherwood. “We submit patents on new inventions as a normal course of business but they aren’t necessarily an indication of new business or product plans.”
Well, that's a relief! I honestly couldn't see something like this washing with the freedom-loving Yank population.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2023, 01:49 PM   #22
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Well, that's a relief! I honestly couldn't see something like this washing with the freedom-loving Yank population.
Lol you'd only file for a patent to protect your IP, and you'd only do that if you intend on making money from it at some stage. If they don't deploy it themselves, the patent will be sold to someone who will.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2023, 10:22 PM   #23
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

This cartoon is 3 years old, but it sums up this thread
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post