Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-03-2023, 04:18 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Wildtrak X

Wildtrak X variant released, essentially an FX4 Max for the new Gen.

More ground clearance, bilstein shocks, wider track and taller/wider General Grabber off road rubber. Plus a bunch of other features like LED spotlights in the front grille, and the bigger electronic dash from the Platinum.

The kicker, it's 4 cylinder only. I'm assuming because the V6 Diesel is in such short supply that they can't supply any for this model. Which greatly annoys me, cause I was ready to switch my Wildtrak V6 order to this when it was released. But won't be doing that now. Hopefully a V6 version becomes available in the future.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-f...x-price-specs/

Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2023, 04:37 PM   #2
vbomber

Default Re: Wildtrak X

Looks good, interesting it gets adblue which I'm guessing will apply to rest of the ranger range at some point
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2023, 05:09 PM   #3
Hulsty

Gotta move those 2L engines
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2023, 05:26 PM   #4
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty View Post
Gotta move those 2L engines
Bi-turbo does well actually.
Old 24-03-2023, 08:58 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbomber View Post
Looks good, interesting it gets adblue which I'm guessing will apply to rest of the ranger range at some point
Euro 6 is coming soon, so eventually yes. Not sure what year though.
Old 24-03-2023, 09:20 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol who wants a tougher Wildtrack with a softer engine.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2023, 12:02 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I really hope that v6td supply frees up and they eventually do a 6 cylinder version. I wonder if they have considered releasing an ecoboost petrol 4 version like they have in some other countries as an alternative to the 6, to try to free up some v6td capacity. I’m sure it would help lessen v6 demand, even if it’s only 10%?

I’m sure they will keep an eye on amarok ecoboost sales to see if it’s worth doing.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2023, 08:17 PM   #8
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When are we getting the crazy big tyre option like the 35" tyres on the Bronco.
These are just under 32's on this.

Love the colour.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2023, 08:55 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
When are we getting the crazy big tyre option like the 35" tyres on the Bronco.
These are just under 32's on this.

Love the colour.
The 315/70/17 bronco 35’s fit the Raptor.
Old 25-03-2023, 11:30 PM   #10
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I’m sure they will keep an eye on amarok ecoboost sales to see if it’s worth doing.
I dont doubt that, VW are, at least in part, doing Fords market research for them.. I know the Ecoboost is only in the high spec ones but that seems to be what people buy anyway.

Fords got nothing to loose, if it doesnt sell worth a damn, all good. If it sell's well, they would have to at least look at offering it as well... Even better if it end up in more than just top spec ones....

Cousins new BF is in sales at a VW dealer up here in Brissy... Im temped to question him on uptake when I meet him during the week...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2023, 03:34 PM   #11
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The engine is more than enough for most, we sell plenty of 2.0L BTD, depends on your application.

Same old man comment like Mustang V8 vs Ecoboost.
Old 27-03-2023, 03:35 PM   #12
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I really hope that v6td supply frees up and they eventually do a 6 cylinder version. I wonder if they have considered releasing an ecoboost petrol 4 version like they have in some other countries as an alternative to the 6, to try to free up some v6td capacity. I’m sure it would help lessen v6 demand, even if it’s only 10%?

Telling you now V6 supply isn't going to free up.
Old 27-03-2023, 03:36 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
The engine is more than enough for most, we sell plenty of 2.0L BTD, depends on your application.

Of course you're going to sell heaps, because you only sell two cars - Ranger and Everest

Logical fallacy there, you can't claim on one hand that there's a shortage of V6 engine due to demand then turn around and say that the 4 cylinder version is great - otherwise there'd be production shortage of those too.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2023, 04:27 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
Telling you now V6 supply isn't going to free up.
I didn't say it was going to, but I don't know why they aren't taking steps to address it. The demand is clearly much higher than they were anticipating.

But I don't know what the situation is where it's built. Is the engine line constrained and at capacity now? Will upping the build rate cost millions of dollars in terms of plant upgrades?

I'd love to know.
Old 27-03-2023, 04:33 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Of course you're going to sell heaps, because you only sell two cars - Ranger and Everest

Logical fallacy there, you can't claim on one hand that there's a shortage of V6 engine due to demand then turn around and say that the 4 cylinder version is great - otherwise there'd be production shortage of those too.
That doesn't make any sense, cause they have way, way more production capacity to build 4 cylinder engines.

It's a case of production capacity being high for one, and severely limited for the other. Despite the demand for V6, the 4 cylinder is still the bigger seller, cause fleets buy 4's, not 6's, and the V6 is only available in australia and nz from Thai production, nowhere else in asia gets it as far as i'm aware. I know for a fact the Thai's don't even get it.

If anything, V6 production from the Thai plant is probably like 5-10%.
Old 27-03-2023, 05:25 PM   #16
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to add to Boss's comments....and support that 2.0L requirements are by far the biggest volume for Ford....

Ford South Africa had an upgrade so they build V6 diesels and the 2.0L but obviously need to supply their production of Rangers and global supply of Amaroks.
Production capacity of 130,000 V6's per year and 120,000 2.0L per year in SA.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ine-Plant.html

So is any ( if available) of the V6's sent to Thailand or only those made at Dagenham, England?

Plus Dagenham has to build 2.0L Ecoblue diesel engines for the Transit/Transit Custom and next new VW Transporter as well as supply the whole Ford world apart from South Africa. I couldn't find Dagenham’s output but 60% of it's production will go to Ford & VW vans.
So somewhere in there you need to supply Everest and Ranger requirements for V6's plus the much greater need for 2.0L everywhere.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 27-03-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2023, 06:43 PM   #17
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

globally, sales of 2.0 out of Thailand are more than 4 times what the V6 sales are.

it's only Australia where the V6 is anywhere close to the 2.0
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2023, 12:40 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Just to add to Boss's comments....and support that 2.0L requirements are by far the biggest volume for Ford....

Ford South Africa had an upgrade so they build V6 diesels and the 2.0L but obviously need to supply their production of Rangers and global supply of Amaroks.
Production capacity of 130,000 V6's per year and 120,000 2.0L per year in SA.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ine-Plant.html

So is any ( if available) of the V6's sent to Thailand or only those made at Dagenham, England?

Plus Dagenham has to build 2.0L Ecoblue diesel engines for the Transit/Transit Custom and next new VW Transporter as well as supply the whole Ford world apart from South Africa. I couldn't find Dagenham’s output but 60% of it's production will go to Ford & VW vans.
So somewhere in there you need to supply Everest and Ranger requirements for V6's plus the much greater need for 2.0L everywhere.
Not sure if those numbers are right. The statements about capacity might be misinterpreted. Last I read on our interwebs was the SA plant was only building 20,000 V6's a year. If they were building 120,000 there would be no supply constraints. It might have the capacity to build 130,000 in total, 4 and v6.

Another article I found backs this up.

https://www.news24.com/life/motoring...que-20220917-2

Considering that the production of the V6 is set to only 21 000 units per year, one can correctly assume that the 2.0-litre Single Turbo and Bi-turbo offerings will be the volume sellers. It's reassuring to know that a total of 23 design changes have been implemented in the evolution of these engines.

And our supply comes out of the UK. Which is interesting, because UK market Ranger V6's will come with an SA built V6, and not one built in the UK.
Old 28-03-2023, 01:21 PM   #19
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

V6- good
Bi-turbo- good

is that better?
Old 28-03-2023, 06:43 PM   #20
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not sure if those numbers are right. The statements about capacity might be misinterpreted. Last I read on our interwebs was the SA plant was only building 20,000 V6's a year. If they were building 120,000 there would be no supply constraints. It might have the capacity to build 130,000 in total, 4 and v6.

Another article I found backs this up.

https://www.news24.com/life/motoring...que-20220917-2

Considering that the production of the V6 is set to only 21 000 units per year, one can correctly assume that the 2.0-litre Single Turbo and Bi-turbo offerings will be the volume sellers. It's reassuring to know that a total of 23 design changes have been implemented in the evolution of these engines.

And our supply comes out of the UK. Which is interesting, because UK market Ranger V6's will come with an SA built V6, and not one built in the UK.
My error , yes you are correct, the upgrade to the SA plant means one line can build both engines although the article I linked from Ford media states two different numbers for total production lol...
Quote:
The total installed capacity for this line is 130 000 engines per year.

Quote:
To support the increased demand for the 2.0-litre diesel engines, the plant has gone from the previous two shifts to 2.5 shifts, with a total installed capacity for producing up to 120 000 engines per year.
Old 29-03-2023, 01:37 AM   #21
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post

Sale figures tell the truth of what the public wants

Ranger, Mustang, Amarok and now the Everest too it seems. The big engine is higher demand. The small engine might be more than good enough, but a lot of people want the best available.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2023, 11:41 AM   #22
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sale figures tell the truth of what the public wants

Ranger, Mustang, Amarok and now the Everest too it seems. The big engine is higher demand. The small engine might be more than good enough, but a lot of people want the best available.
Of course and I understand that. My original response to a previous comment is "gotta move those 2.0L" which is basically a dig at this powertrain and "why would you" which quite frankly, annoys the crap out of me. It is what it is and people will buy the bigger engine however, I will always stand up for the 2.0L BT, its a good thing.
Old 29-03-2023, 11:53 AM   #23
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Which is the more modern motor?
The 2.0 or the V6

Which is more reliable long term ?
Which is better for towing?

I guess you can’t put a V6 badge on a 2.0
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2023, 01:18 PM   #24
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

they are both the same age/generation. they both run exactly the same development tests. they both tow equally well (YMMV)

it only really comes down to Aussies who are convinced 'bigger is better' and won't be swayed by facts
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2023, 01:55 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
they are both the same age/generation. they both run exactly the same development tests. they both tow equally well (YMMV)

it only really comes down to Aussies who are convinced 'bigger is better' and won't be swayed by facts
Does it?

Quote:
The 2.0 is more refined but needs more revs to do the same job – therefore it’s constantly shuffling up and down the gears. This is due to the extra gears, as well as a taller final gearing than the five-pot (3.31 v 3.73).

The 2.0 also struggled to gain momentum on the steep incline. It wasn’t great going down, either, with far less engine braking than the 3.2.

The 3.2 put in a strong towing performance, courtesy of good quality gear shifts (and less of them) and having max power on tap at 3000rpm. It shined on the steep hill climb, slogging along at 2500-3000rpm with no unnecessary gear changes. Engine braking was better, too.

The 2.0 might be better in general driving conditions, but when it’s time to roll the sleeves up and ferry a load, best opt for the 3.2.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...anger-tow-test

That was with the PXIII vs the old clunker 3.2 I5

Curious on the test between the V6 and the TT 4 cylinder job,

There's no 'YMMV' - it's either tows equally as well or it doesn't and there is a review saying it doesn't.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2023, 01:56 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
My error , yes you are correct, the upgrade to the SA plant means one line can build both engines although the article I linked from Ford media states two different numbers for total production lol...
Easily done, the article is confusing in the way it was written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino
Which is the more modern motor?
The 2.0 or the V6

Which is more reliable long term ?
Which is better for towing?

I guess you can’t put a V6 badge on a 2.0

The bi-turbo is the newer engine design. The 3 litre can trace it's origins back to the original 2.7 from around 2004. But the 3 litre was an upgraded version, first used in 2009.

Both modern designs though. I'm sure the bi-turbo design picked up a lot of influence from the Lion engine.
Old 29-03-2023, 02:01 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Europe also gets a Tremor version, which picks up the same hardware underneath, but it's based on an XLT instead of Wildtrak. Ford Australia trademarked the Tremor name last year, so potentially we could see an XLT based Tremor version here. Which would bring it more in line with the previous FX4 Max, which was XLT based.

Ford Thailand have also got an Everest Wildtrak on show at the Bangkok motorshow and will go into production soon. Ford NZ announced it will go on sale over there soon too. Don't know why Ford Australia are dragging their feet on announcing any potential release here though, cause it would be a good gap filler between Sport and Platinum.
Old 29-03-2023, 02:02 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ive owned both in Next Gen guise. Kept my 2.0 Bi Turbo Sport for about 2 months (hated it compared to the old mans V6 Wildtrak). Sold it and ended up with an XLT cab chassis V6 (All I could get), which has proven to be very enjoyable even though its missing most of the safety stuff. Have another one on order though due in a few months.

Biggest downfall of the 2.0 is the thrashiness and lack of low down grunt. V6 is smooth as silk in comparison.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 29-03-2023 at 02:14 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2023, 05:58 AM   #29
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Ive owned both in Next Gen guise. Kept my 2.0 Bi Turbo Sport for about 2 months (hated it compared to the old mans V6 Wildtrak). Sold it and ended up with an XLT cab chassis V6 (All I could get), which has proven to be very enjoyable even though its missing most of the safety stuff. Have another one on order though due in a few months.

Biggest downfall of the 2.0 is the thrashiness and lack of low down grunt. V6 is smooth as silk in comparison.
My local work lunch shop has biscuits older than your Rangers
There's no doubt the 2.0L biturbo is a great engine..just the V6 is another level.

I still remember when buying my first Territory and I was sitting in the passenger seat when the salesman started it up, the radio was so loud so I didn't hear it kick over, ...once I lowered the volume and with the engine idling it was just so smooth compared to the petrol it actually surprised me when I asked "which engine was it".
I could only imagine how much improved the current 3.0L is over the 2.7 version.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 30-03-2023 at 06:04 AM.
Old 30-03-2023, 11:47 AM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
My local work lunch shop has biscuits older than your Rangers
There's no doubt the 2.0L biturbo is a great engine..just the V6 is another level.

I still remember when buying my first Territory and I was sitting in the passenger seat when the salesman started it up, the radio was so loud so I didn't hear it kick over, ...once I lowered the volume and with the engine idling it was just so smooth compared to the petrol it actually surprised me when I asked "which engine was it".
I could only imagine how much improved the current 3.0L is over the 2.7 version.
Not by choice, the 2.0 was just such a let down after driving the V6. I should have known better. As for the XLT I currently have Ford are replacing it under warranty due to a few issues
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post