Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-02-2005, 01:38 AM   #1
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Default CAD related jobs

Just curious if there's any people that use CAD programs for their work and whether or not they think that the type of work that they're doing is exciting or dull or whatever.

I have a mate who's going to be teaching me to use AutoCAD and I'm interested in what people think of CAD related jobs whether its for architectural or engineering purposes.

I'm thinking of learning Autocad for more of the architectural side of things as a possible new skill for a potential career change later on. The jobs I've seen advertised seem to pay half decent but on the job experience is a big thing thats needed.

What do you guys using these style of programs think of this area of expertise ?

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
tickin
FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

I use CAD everyday... in a structural engineering office... Its ok probably a lot better and easier once you know it.... but like any job i guess it does get boring and repetitive...
tickin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
turboute
turboute

I use both AutoCAD and Solidworks everyday, I also know a bit of Microstation and Inventor and have used them in the past.

There are other CAD programs that are better geared towards architectural design (don't know any by name I just know they exist). AutoCAD is a very basic (although widely used) CAD, and will not be as user-friendly.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2005, 12:04 PM   #4
masters24
I gots me a UTE

I have learned how to use Auto CAD at tafe. It will come handy when i am cabinet making for my own company in many years time (as i am only 16 now, but plan to one day have my own business)

masters24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i use AutoCAD a bit at work (structural engineer), and love using it...once you get the basics there are always many more things to learn, as well as writing all your own commands (LISP) etc...and im lucky my work varies quite a bit, and i get to work on stuff from all over the world

if you need any advice once you get started just post it up, id be happy to help!
Old 07-03-2005, 01:41 AM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Cool, thanks guys.

On Saturday I started my first day of TAFE for Autocad (just an intro course) and things are sinking in gradually. I think when I get the hang of the coordinate's that the rest will be a bit easier. With a bit of playing around at home (thanks Bittorrent) I'll be ready for next week's lesson.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 07-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

I havent used it yet, but i will be soon in interior design and construction. Looking forward to it, although i dont want to do a TAFE course, would rather teach myself.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hehe at getting the hang of co-ords...i remember doing that - and now i very rarely use them :hihi:
Old 07-03-2005, 05:57 PM   #9
rodderz

I used to use LandCAD for lansdcape design...takes a bit of learning with all the coordinates and codes to do various functions. I havent used it now for over a year and consequently forgotten most of it...it's one of those programs you need to be using a lot otherwise you tend to forget!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #10
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Looking forward to it, although i dont want to do a TAFE course, would rather teach myself
At the moment I'm the only person in the class who isn't doing design / architecture / engineering of some sort so I'm a bit behind the others as they have all had some experience in one way or another.

Its a bit frustrating but it's worth it. I think the old brain needs a workout.

Has Fez and XB.