Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 30-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #9211
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Lucky break or gold standard? How NSW got Covid under control

Quote:
After outbreaks in Sydney threatened to spoil the state’s summer, health authorities once again seem to have contained a flare-up without resorting to a city-wide lockdown

NSW’s containment was achieved without the premier, Gladys Berejikian, resorting to the drastic statewide lockdowns or business closures that many called for. Instead, the NSW approach was to focus lockdowns on the most affected suburbs and to reintroduce limits on indoor and outdoor gatherings without banning them altogether.

The NSW response to the outbreak came down to enormous confidence in its contact tracing system and ability to track cases. The prime minister, Scott Morrison, told reporters on 17 December: “NSW is the gold standard [of contact tracing]. I don’t spend too much time worrying about NSW.”

The chair of epidemiology at Deakin University, Prof Catherine Bennett, said: “I think what NSW has done really well is taken a nuanced approach, and tailor their approach to wherever the outbreak is, whatever the challenges are, whatever the opportunities are, and to put the restrictions in place as needed. And it’s proven to be enough.”

But Bennett said where NSW failed was in its approach to masks. “NSW weren’t gold standard on masks,” Bennett said. “Mandatory masks might have meant the person who went to the BWS store while infectious had a mask on and the person serving them had a mask on, and that might have been enough to stop the Berala cluster. We’ll never know what might have happened but I would argue, at least, the number of people infected through the BWS cluster could have been smaller or prevented in the first place.”
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-under-control
This user likes this post:
Old 30-01-2021, 06:28 PM   #9212
Work Horse
Budget Racer

All credit to NSW, I'm glad they got the outbreak under control.

I suspect controlling an outbreak at the start of summer would be far less challenging than the start of winter.

The timing was certainly lucky.
Old 30-01-2021, 09:22 PM   #9213
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Actually, a mate from brissy recently sent me a video of him driving past some caravan park entrance. ALL bloody VIC plates. Cashed up bogans
Well at least us cashed up bogans are keeping the local economy going not the jetsetters who spend overseas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane
You only have to be on the Newell Hwy around April/May to see most of Vic heading Nth with caravans. Then all heading back home in Sept/Oct.
Yeah I know as I have been travelling all over Australia for the last 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100
Good idea,and by the way it is not as cold here as some of the QLD & WA wussies try to tell you.They just need to toughen up a bit.
Tassie , yea I know as I was last there 10 years ago, Tasmania has to be one of the most pristine places on earth truly worth visiting for anyone.

Cheers all.

Last edited by Itsme; 30-01-2021 at 09:27 PM.
Old 30-01-2021, 09:35 PM   #9214
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #9215
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

EU vaccine export row: Bloc backtracks on controls for N. Ireland

Quote:
The EU has reversed its decision to trigger an emergency provision in the Brexit deal to control Covid vaccine exports from the EU.

The move could have seen checks at the border of Ireland and Northern Ireland to prevent shipments entering the UK.

The Brussels U-turn came hours after it was announced, following condemnation from London, Dublin and Belfast.

The plans had been part of the EU's new export controls on vaccines, to combat delivery shortfalls.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55865539

Covid: What’s happening to the EU vaccine scheme?

Quote:
The European Union has been criticised for the slow pace of coronavirus vaccinations in member states.

It has introduced export controls on vaccines produced in the EU after the roll-out was hit by delays and supply problems.
https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-52380823
Old 31-01-2021, 10:05 AM   #9216
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
EU vaccine export row: Bloc backtracks on controls for N. Ireland

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55865539

Covid: What’s happening to the EU vaccine scheme?

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-52380823
Nothing like a pandemic to bring out the best in everyone!
Old 31-01-2021, 12:50 PM   #9217
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Pharmacies invited to participate in coronavirus vaccine rollout from Phase 2a

Quote:
Key points:
  • The Federal Government will send out expressions of interest to community pharmacies from Monday
  • All health workers involved in the vaccinations are to take part in training
  • Mr Hunt said the national vaccine rollout was still on track to begin in February
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...id-19/13106730
Old 31-01-2021, 02:05 PM   #9218
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alan Jones forced to correct attack on Daniel Andrews that ‘misrepresented' Covid research

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...covid-research

Not surprising.

Meanwhile, 30,000 a day cleared for Australia Open. Can't seem to get any tickets to Rod Laver though
Old 31-01-2021, 02:19 PM   #9219
.:4:.
Kicking back

I got an email from service nsw on friday outlining the new relaxed covid laws. Now, just my opinion, and i hate wearing masks as much as the next person. So now its not manditory in shopping centres and a few other places. I would have thought whilst they've opened up people limits in places, masks would be the last thing they'd lax up on. Even though things seem to be relatively under control, and they ask people to do the right thing, thats never the case. From how i read things from the recent past, it only takes one or two to ruin it for more or less everyone. Look at the northern beaches outbreak. 2 people sent thousands into lockdown. So again, just my opinion, but i reckon relaxing mask rules is a bit premature.
https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/what...greater-sydney
4 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #9220
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 30th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

6 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.156%.

1 new case and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.084% and active cases 71.

The UK had 23,275 cases yesterday and 1,200 deaths.

Just over 173k new cases in the USA yesterday and 3,685 deaths sees CMR up to 1.685%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases pass 103M, the last 1M in 2 days;
Europe passes 30M cases.

Only -
Albania (901);
Malaysia (5,728); and
Indonesia (14,518)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2021, 05:18 PM   #9221
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We're in 5 day lock down here in Perth as of 6pm tonight.
A guard at a hotel tested positive to the UK strain of the China virus.
4 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2021, 06:22 PM   #9222
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Looks like he got around a bit as well.

https://www.wa.gov.au/government/ann...-hard-lockdown

Best of luck WA
Old 31-01-2021, 07:11 PM   #9223
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Kind of gives up the ethnicity, and hints at second/third jobs, doesn’t it?
3 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2021, 07:17 PM   #9224
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Looks like he got around a bit as well.

https://www.wa.gov.au/government/ann...-hard-lockdown

Best of luck WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I suspect they would be treating close contacts (his family or share house mates) as positive cases as well until they test negative for a few weeks.

So the locations listed would include were the family/mates had been also. I think that is the safe thing to do.

I hope they get on top of it.

Last edited by Work Horse; 31-01-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 31-01-2021, 08:47 PM   #9225
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

So Western Australia is going into lockdown @ 1800 today.
We went to the (crazy busy today,) shop and its amazing how many people were not wearing a mask. 1 : 500 as a guess.
Stupid, ignorant people, I suggest this virus will eventually get us all because of the covidiots
Old 31-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #9226
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Yep, saw the times, thought he’s a cleaner.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 31-01-2021, 11:09 PM   #9227
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post
We went to the (crazy busy today,) shop and its amazing how many people were not wearing a mask. 1 : 500 as a guess.
Stupid, ignorant people, I suggest this virus will eventually get us all because of the covidiots
even though you posted this an hr and 15 min prier to all these requirements coming in to affect
im guessing you and all these covidiots were only down at the (crazy busy today) shop getting essentials and not panic buying places out

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 31-01-2021, 11:55 PM   #9228
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post
It amazes me as to why people rush to the shops and have to buy up big when lockdowns is implemented, FFS authorities are not stopping people buying essentials during lockdowns.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:29 AM   #9229
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
It amazes me as to why people rush to the shops and have to buy up big when lockdowns is implemented, FFS authorities are not stopping people buying essentials during lockdowns.
i go down every sunday arvo to get a loaf of bread and two 1ltr milks (1 for work coffee and 1 for home coffee all for me)
hadnt known bout the latest lock down and had been napping , got up to do my sunday shop
car park was full - never (not even last lock down which was more that this one) seen it this full
and shop was bare even sold all the bags to carry the shopping
came home empty handed
black coffee tomorrow no toast
oh and the way home get a call from work
states in lock down , wont affect us see you like usual

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 01-02-2021, 01:37 AM   #9230
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't even bother going to the shops, as every sunday arvo for the past 4 months as been a packed shopping centre anyway.
So if you told me the shops were busy, that's normal anyway...

Weekends are busy, weeknights is dead. But I suppose tomorrow night there will be no pasta, rice, tinned tomatos, TP etc LOL

Doesn't matter, I made spag bol tonight with stuff I bought yesterday. I won't feel like eating it again for the next 5 days anyway.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #9231
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
even though you posted this an hr and 15 min prier to all these requirements coming in to affect
im guessing you and all these covidiots were only down at the (crazy busy today) shop getting essentials and not panic buying places out
that's correct, we only only needed fresh veges. In and out in half hour thanks to the little vege shop, not coles/woolies etc.
There certainly was a lot of panic buying going on. Got some extra carrots here if you need somewhere to sit

I lived up north for years in cyclone areas so have never felt the need to panic buy.

I went shopping Saturday so we have everything we need to chill

Last edited by Mr_G6ET; 01-02-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:19 PM   #9232
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 31st, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

6 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.156%.

1 new case and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.084% and active cases 71.

The UK had 21,088 cases yesterday and 587 deaths.

Just over 144k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,901 deaths sees CMR up to 1.689%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Europe passes 700k deaths.

Only -
Ghana (1,583) - the previous high back in August;

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Early in January we modelled the likely outcomes for both the USA and global for the end of January.

For the USA we predicted 32M cases / 480k deaths and thankfully both of those were well over the actual numbers of 27M/452k.

For the UK we predicted 3.8M/90k and unfortunately the real numbers are 3.81M / 106k so although case numbers are close to the model, the death rate has been a lot worse.

For global we predicted 104M/2.2M which was pretty close to the 103.5M/2.23M of the model.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #9233
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see the gloating and criticism has already started, all coming from one area, and it hasn't even been 24hrs. Pretty disgraceful.

Well done WA for taking swift decisive action. No hard borders required when states take responsible steps to safe guard the rest of the country.

Although big mistake not testing quarantine staff daily.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #9234
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So looking for a Ford mask on eBay, but $80 postage, come on.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Com...YAAOSwKY9etnjn
2 users like this post:
Old 01-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #9235
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Thats a massive yeah nah.
Wheres it getting posted from? Someone on an antarctic expidition?
Old 01-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #9236
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I've ordered a few car parts from Germany, their postage charges are about as bad as the USA.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #9237
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Thats a massive yeah nah.
Wheres it getting posted from? Someone on an antarctic expidition?
Quote:
Delivery: Estimated between Fri. 12 Feb. and Fri. 26 Feb.
Lockdown will be done and masks gone before it even gets to you
Old 01-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #9238
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

NSW tracking WA arrivals but border will stay open: NSW Premier

Quote:
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she will not shut the border with Western Australia after it entered a five-day lockdown over the emergence of its first case of community transmission in 10 months.

“NSW has a standing policy of keeping our borders open, and that’s what we’ll continue to do.“

“I think all of us have to be considerate. It’s difficult when communities have to go through lockdown and our thoughts are with everyone in WA at the moment.”
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...01-p56ydo.html
Old 01-02-2021, 03:49 PM   #9239
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lockdown will be done and masks gone before it even gets to you
Definitely, but it will happen again for sure.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:03 PM   #9240
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I see the gloating and criticism has already started, all coming from one area, and it hasn't even been 24hrs. Pretty disgraceful.

Well done WA for taking swift decisive action. No hard borders required when states take responsible steps to safe guard the rest of the country.

Although big mistake not testing quarantine staff daily.
I bet Barilaro just about wet himself with joy. What do you expect when McGowan has had no problem dishing it out mate?

FYI I think Barilaro is a flog so that is no endorsement.
Closed Thread