Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-03-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Finding the best spark plug leads

Today I bought myself some topgun leads for the au.Sure enough I pulled out my multimeter. Resistance per lead was 3.5kohms.

Hmm...how does this compare? I went into my shed and found some old leads and checked their resistance.They measured at 1.9 to 2.3 kohms. This means that my brand new topgun leads had more resistance than my old wires. This has given me a new mission..which are the best leads for performance without interfering with the ecu?

The results are startling.What does this mean? Well higher resistance mean less spark at the other end..I will go through all of the brands of leads and post all of my findings here.
I think the topguns will go back for a refund!!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Never put to much thought into this, G&D Fitted 8mm gas leads on Hamo's AU6.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Not a worry.I will get to the bottom of this. Fancy doing big cams,heads,edits only to be shortchanged by lack of spark..nope I dont want it to happen.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 04-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #4
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eagle leads are apparently the way to go. I wanna get myself some 9mm ICE Leads.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:02 AM   #5
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Eagle leads are apparently the way to go. I wanna get myself some 9mm ICE Leads.
They are next on my test list.So too are msd accel,mallory and any other banana they claim to bre the best.If theyre going to claim to be the best then be the best .Sure you need some resistance to fight engine management probs but this seems too high for my liking.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:03 AM   #6
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

MSD's we tested came in at 0.9-1.1
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 07:38 AM   #7
carratt
I Love My T3

If only it was that easy for me to find some leads. Went to Ford yesterday to see how much for plugs and leads for my te50 and they want $36 per plug and $450 for the leads. ouch
Old 04-03-2007, 10:01 AM   #8
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

how many times do people need to be told....stop going to ford to buy your parts! they seem to put 500% markup on all their stuff once you buy the car, unless its a warranty job, then your lucky to get it done!

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #9
carratt
I Love My T3

having trouble finding a place that has the right plugs/leads but trust me, going to Ford to buy them will be my absolute LAST option.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
Stav
Smile

Dont worry about ford.They sell cars for 70k which are worth 20k to 28k in 4 years..so the local spares isnt all that bad when you think of it.
The mission here is to sort out the truth for the sake of better performance. Spark is half the power equation.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:48 AM   #11
Norton
Tuned by HPF

I have 8mm ICE leads and they work a treat! Being a Gas car I was advised to go these leads as they have the lowest possible resistance.

Out of interest I just went and checked the resistance, heres the results:

ICE 8mm = 1.15kohm's
Standard AU3 V8 Leads = 4.55kohm's

The ICE leads make a significant difference to a gas car as the spark strength required is greater.

I was also advised to go non resistor plugs which I have, I have never had any problems with ECU interference (I have read that this is a bit of a myth with modern cars).

Regards

Norton

www.aufalcon.com/norton :
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #12
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont know what the resistance is on mine, but i recently got myself a set of NGK 8mm leads and they are great. I was recommended these over the 8.8mm Top Gun leads as they have better conductivity.

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #13
Stav
Smile

Hey Norton..thanks for that..your saving me some cash here. If anyone can test their resistances please post. Ice leads..where do they stock them?

Better conductivity would men lower resistance

Old 04-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #14
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Try buying a lead that is designed for LPG use, they use less resistance then the normal leads, how much i wouldn't know.

Even so with these low resistant leads if your car is being Edited with whatever leads it wouldn't make a differance, as when its edited they can pull or put spark as they wish. Unless your's is running out of spark?

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #15
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Hey Norton..thanks for that..your saving me some cash here. If anyone can test their resistances please post. Ice leads..where do they stock them?

Better conductivity would men lower resistance
No problem Stav....

I got them direct from ICE, my LPG installer wanted to charge me more so I did it myself.

Try this link: http://www.iceignition.com.au/

They are based in Melbourne, good bunch of guy's and very helpful regarding ignition.

I was going to use the Top Gun LPG leads but was told these were not much better then standard, they were also very expensive (ICE was not much more)

Old 04-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #16
Stav
Smile

I paid 55 for my topguns but I am not paying for a performance decrease.Theyre going back!!They have a pretty box though lol :dr_Evil:

Old 04-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #17
The Monty
Just slidin'

I have top guns. They seem to work ok for me. But now I dont know. Ill change them in 97k's so, I guess Ill try something new then.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #18
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting thread. Any chance of testing "Bosch Super Sport inductive core ignition leads". When I bought them a few forum members and others told me they were the best option. Some info below,

What makes Bosch Super Sports Ignition Leads Different?

Bosch Super Sports Ignition Leads use the latest Inductive Core Technology as opposed to Resistive Core Technology

What is Inductive Core Technology?

Inductive Core Technology is a process whereby a magnetic field is generated when the spark current passes through the cable. The Bosch Super Sports Inductive Core Ignition Leads achieve this by having wire windings wrapped around a specially constructed Ferrite Core.

How do the Bosch Super Sports Ignition Leads work?

By having the wire windings wrapped around the Ferrite Core, a magnetic field is generated when the spark current is passed across the windings. The magnetic field reduces significantly the Electronmagnetic and Radio Freguency Interference. Lower cable resistance prodvides greater spark energy.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #19
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I have top guns. They seem to work ok for me. But now I dont know. Ill change them in 97k's so, I guess Ill try something new then.
Top Guns are ok..... Looking at the resistance, they are an improvement on the standard ones I had on my car (very small).

ICE are considerably better and this is required on a gas car, as for the improvement on a petrol car I don't know.

You could also use non resistor plugs, these will give you a stronger spark but will not last like the platinum or iridium plugs do. (Non resistor plugs will last approx. 20,000k's but only cost $3.50 each).

Theses are all small gains, but hey, a gain is a gain!!!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I thought I had a misfire due to my leads (ended up being a dodgy coilpack).

So I pulled my leads out and tested them at my mechanics ... and they came back with readings between 1.05 - 1.2 KOhms ... and these were on 60,000km old 9mm Spiral Core leads (QLD Ignition Leads). And this is on an EGAS AU engine as well.

Would be interesting to see what they read now though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #21
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel
Interesting thread. Any chance of testing "Bosch Super Sport inductive core ignition leads". When I bought them a few forum members and others told me they were the best option. Some info below,

What makes Bosch Super Sports Ignition Leads Different?

Bosch Super Sports Ignition Leads use the latest Inductive Core Technology as opposed to Resistive Core Technology

What is Inductive Core Technology?

Inductive Core Technology is a process whereby a magnetic field is generated when the spark current passes through the cable. The Bosch Super Sports Inductive Core Ignition Leads achieve this by having wire windings wrapped around a specially constructed Ferrite Core.

How do the Bosch Super Sports Ignition Leads work?

By having the wire windings wrapped around the Ferrite Core, a magnetic field is generated when the spark current is passed across the windings. The magnetic field reduces significantly the Electronmagnetic and Radio Freguency Interference. Lower cable resistance prodvides greater spark energy.
Do you have a multimeter to test them? I'm interested as I looked at these before buying the ICE leads.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If i can get a chance to get to my mechanic ... he sells these as well .... I might have grab his multimeter when I am over there next (when I am bored) ... and test them.

He literally has the entire range hanging on the rack.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #23
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Hurricane leads are said to be the best leads with the lowest Resistance ..
that said for a set of I6 ford leads retail at 100bux
Old 04-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #24
AUTickford
XD197

Funny that i tested my brand new topgun leads and they also had considerably more resistace than my shitty old split and broken down leads that they replaced.Kind of makes you wonder when the idea is the least resistance to flow????? :jab:also the topgun leads varied greatly when i tested them

Last edited by AUTickford; 04-03-2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: forgot a bit
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #25
Stav
Smile

These topgun leads were very consistent in quality.Funnily, they didnt have the name topgun written on them either.

Mechanic ..Joes Queensland leads sound really good..
The said problem is that the low resistance leads make electrical interference with radios and ecu's. I am going to test this theory because I think the industry is bull crapping us and this may not be true for ford au's.
The end result is a loss of performance and more fuel usage.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #26
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't resistors eliminate the problem of interference?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #27
Stav
Smile

When you need a spark to jump a gap at 5800 rpm with higher resistance leads would resist its capability to do so.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #28
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
These topgun leads were very consistent in quality.Funnily, they didnt have the name topgun written on them either.

Mechanic ..Joes Queensland leads sound really good..
The said problem is that the low resistance leads make electrical interference with radios and ecu's. I am going to test this theory because I think the industry is bull crapping us and this may not be true for ford au's.
The end result is a loss of performance and more fuel usage.
Have a chat to others running non resistor plugs and low resistance leads, I did my homework and found no real evidence to support the claims of the large manufacturers.

As stated earlier, I run very low resistance leads and non resistor plugs and I don't even notice interference on my radio let alone problems with the ECU.

I raised the issue with ICE prior to purchase and they re-assured me that there is a lot between the plugs and the ECU to insulate/absorb the radio frequency energy generated from the spark.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:10 PM   #29
Stav
Smile

Cool because I am going to up my sparks real soon with a ridiculous upgrade.. :hihi:

Old 05-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #30
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks a bunch for the research done, please do a write up and conclusion with all your findings when completed. Thanks again, hopefully with the results we can end the never ending question of what leads can i use etc etc
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post