Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-06-2016, 03:21 AM   #121
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Oh, and you are spot on about the way they drive up there. Speed limits are for tourists. They are either 10 under or 20 over. 6 lanes each way and they are all over the shop like browns cows.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #122
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I've done Adelaide to Brisbane more times than I've had hot dinners, and yes, many of the national highways are goat tracks. I don't go via Mildura but through the Mallee so can't comment on Adelaide side of Balranald. There is a section between hay and west Wyalong that is literally like a goat track. Not sure where your your mate Tom took you. I used to go via Toowoomba, but the turn off is at the border. Not sure there's too many other ways to cross the range apart from Toowoomba and Warwick.

I can see how the break in really capped it off for you. Sorry to hear about it. Hope you don't have any issues with insurance.
Hi Mate, Tom is actually my trusty Tomtom 600, well, he was trustworthy until he said turn left in 600m at some unremarkable T junction somewhere on the Goondi side of Warwick, for about half an hour i thought the bloody thing had fried a circuit and got us lost.
I wouldnt have been one bit surprised if it had, those roads rattled my fillings out despite being perched on some quality lambswool seat covers, i can imagine the effect on a mass produced circuit board from China hanging on the windscreen, lol.

Turns out it just took us on a detour around Warwick and back onto the main road through to Ipswich. I was freaking as it originally wanted to take us through Toowoomba but gave me the option to change routes to avoid the Tolls which, being a stingy bastard without an etag, i took.
Bloody thing still led me through 2 tolls anyway despite the scenic journey.
Im sceptical of Tom now, we havent spoken much since...lol

I must say though, that road down through the range from Warwick cuts through some very picturesque countryside and was well worth the stress in the end. Going back up it on Sunday less so with waves of water pouring down it like a river, certainly an experience.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #123
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Hi Mate, Tom is actually my trusty Tomtom 600,
yeah i gathered that.

my folks live on an acreage at greenbank so we always go via warwick now, but going via toowoomba isn't a bad option if you are going to brisbane. the warrego (darren lockyer way) is 2 lanes each way divided highway all the way in. it does join up with the ipswich motorway again so much of a muchness.
Old 22-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #124
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Oh, and you are spot on about the way they drive up there. Speed limits are for tourists. They are either 10 under or 20 over. 6 lanes each way and they are all over the shop like browns cows.
Yep, and i think they are oblivious to the fact, that or just ignorant of it.
Either way, you dont realise how good we have it in sleepy old SA until you see how the other side get by, there should be an inquest into whoever's responsible for the whole road network and those who use it over there.

Over the past 12 months the Wife and i had discussed moving up there but after experiencing the stress of negotiating their spaghetti of roads, not even the lure of endless days at the Theme parks could bring me to accept driving amongst them.
Its a good thing that they 'Breed em tuff norf of the bawder' as Anna Bligh told us a few years ago, you'd have to be to want to live there.

Ond honestly, that ****** game of NRL they all get wound up about, i dont get it at all. Went to the Bronco's V Raiders game at Suncorp. Great stadium, fantastic pre game show and sexy cheer leaders, but fair dinkum, the game was a disgrace for the first 20 minutes with fumbling at every tackle, they spent more time cuddling in the scrum than passing the ball, i thought it was going to be a nil all draw.
And Canberra were a discrace, my Brother told me to keep an eye on this blonde bloke who was a chance to be called up for origin duties so im led to believe, but apart from a lucky bounce which saw him go over the line, he barely rated a mention.
I get why they call it a try, lots of trying, not much success.
Didnt even get me free Big Mac for scoring 19+ points, though the AFL should look into that concept asap.

I went there with an open mind as it was my first live game, i usually only watch the SOO series on the telly but it was as boring as bat ****, the father inlaw fell asleep just after half time. Fair dinkum, i was hoping Buck would **** on the ground just to see one of them slide into it for some action, most subdued crowd i've ever been amongst, couldnt hold a candle to a Lions V Freo game in Alice springs as they are now and thats saying something.
Old 22-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #125
prydey
Rob

i don't mind it up there. i grew up in brisbane and was there for 13 years from 79 - 92. (obviously as a kid) i've travelled every year at least once in my 39 years of existence, so fairly familiar with the southern suburbs and don't mind it.

each to their own i guess. all depends what you are used to. having said that, i don't mind adelaide being a quiet country town by comparison. i do shift work also which keeps me out of the traffic.
Old 22-06-2016, 11:14 AM   #126
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
But thats about where it ends, as drivers i cant believe how bad so many are, its no wonder your motorways are scarred with slide marks and littered with broken glass.
Dead set, we'd give a kidney to have motorways like you guys, yet you cant drive on them.
I cant understand how you mob get so many speeding fines as evident in the numerous threads that pop up on here, none of you drive at the speed limit. Its either 10k's under and stopping at every on ramp or 100 through roadworks, it blew me away to weave through the whitches hats only to be swamped by them when obeying the roadwork speed reductions time and time again.
Saw a few coppers, all in one night blitzing the motorway that heads over that big bridge towards the airport at Brisbane, apart from that i didnt think you had them.
Coming back from Coolangatta i saw the most rediculous thing i've ever witnessed on a road, some clown in front of me got nervouse at an on ramp in the dual lanes section of the motorway and actually stopped in the left lane 100k zone to let a car on, i just shook my head.
Moving on...
Haha I had to laugh at that, found the same, I lived in Sydney most of my life, spend much time working and driving all over Australia and most capital cities and found the best roads and worst drivers in Australia in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

I go there often as I have family there, and only live a few hours away and every time I am amazed at the amount of speeding and just bad driving you see when out an about, it's scary really.

PS going Via Toowoomba would have been better than Warwick, much better roads, and a nicer drive.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #127
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
i don't mind it up there. i grew up in brisbane and was there for 13 years from 79 - 92. (obviously as a kid) i've travelled every year at least once in my 39 years of existence, so fairly familiar with the southern suburbs and don't mind it.

each to their own i guess. all depends what you are used to. having said that, i don't mind adelaide being a quiet country town by comparison. i do shift work also which keeps me out of the traffic.
Oops, sorry Rob, probably been a little harsh on your home state then.

I got talking to some random bloke at half time, told him where i was from and that it was my first NRL game, he asked what i thought.
I told him i should have worn a blues jumper, he said i wouldnt get out alive.
I said atleast we'd see some action and a bit of biff...lol, would have been good for ***** and giggles if nothing else.
Old 22-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #128
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

On a more positive note, my new Darche traditional double swag arrived today. I haven't rolled it out yet but already I can tell it is great quality. I will take pics when I roll it out for anyone interested.

It's actually a fair bit bigger I calculated it to be in my mind. Weighs about 14kg, dimensions: ~ 2.1 x 1.4m

Also in a side note, for anyone looking to get a headlamp I have extensively trialed a few different options and now I recommend LED Lenser SEO3. It has both "white" and "red" light modes and the quality is great for the price (I got mine for about $35!). It is sufficiently bright in both modes, has low power mode and flashing modes (useful for signalling and extra battery saving). The red light mode is great for when you want to be inconspicuous or simply don't want to ruin your night vision.
Junkyard-Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #129
prydey
Rob

my next camping experience won't be until the weather warms up again, which will likely be the october school holidays.

at least it gives me a chance to save up and buy more kit. Our inaugural camping trip back in April, we borrowed a few things rather than buy, as we weren't sure how it was all going to go and it was a way to keep the costs down. i need to buy a gas stove and maybe an ice box, although my brothers ice box will likely always be available to borrow so thats not critical.

looking at the primus premium 2 burner in a 3 burner size, as this allows two larger items at the same time. not looking at anything too fancy, but have noticed these
https://www.snowys.com.au/Camp-Kitch...&sc=51&id=7130

apparently they have a windblock system that removes the need for a surround. anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

the other thing i borrowed was a small folding solar panel for charging phones. i'd like to buy my own setup for this but don't really need anything extravagent as we found last time we didn't really use our phones much or need the power. how do you work out how much power your phones will draw for a full charge? if my phone battery is around 2000mAH and i get a 6000mAH power bank, does this mean its good for 3 full charges? (those are example numbers, not actual specs) Also, i've noticed you can get those car jump starter packs that have usb outlets, but they are rated in Amps. how would i work out how many charges i'd get out of one of those types of things. sorry for the questions. electrics isn't something i'm good at.
Old 22-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #130
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
the other thing i borrowed was a small folding solar panel for charging phones. i'd like to buy my own setup for this but don't really need anything extravagent as we found last time we didn't really use our phones much or need the power. how do you work out how much power your phones will draw for a full charge? if my phone battery is around 2000mAH and i get a 6000mAH power bank, does this mean its good for 3 full charges? (those are example numbers, not actual specs) Also, i've noticed you can get those car jump starter packs that have usb outlets, but they are rated in Amps. how would i work out how many charges i'd get out of one of those types of things. sorry for the questions. electrics isn't something i'm good at.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361424636...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I use one of these. charges my phone and re-chargable AA/AAA's no worries. Highly recommend If you are traveling on foot. If using a vehicle there are better options.
Old 30-06-2016, 11:43 PM   #131
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Well I like the Darche traditional double swag. It is great quality but relatively heavy and quite large. It isn't very good for backpacking/hiking use so I got one of these for when I'm alone/want to go on foot.

http://oztrail.com.au/product-range/...een-by-oztrail

picked it up for $200 new somehow.
Old 14-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #132
prydey
Rob

Kind of glad the Mrs said no to camping in winter. Cold inside my house, let alone outside in a tent. Brrrr.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #133
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Kind of glad the Mrs said no to camping in winter. Cold inside my house, let alone outside in a tent. Brrrr.
Yep, if you aren't set up for winter you are going to have a bad time
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2016, 05:36 PM   #134
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Quote:
same here, we were going camping for a week, but it has been so cold, we decided to hide in the warmth of home.
I agree there is not a lot of fun to be had when you are cold and wet.

also gives me a chance to do some of the home stuff I have been avoiding.

I think we will head off next school holidays (october I think)
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #135
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
I think we will head off next school holidays (october I think)
same.
Old 14-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #136
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
same.
You'll be safe Rob, I'm not out there anymore
Old 15-07-2016, 01:43 PM   #137
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but one problem with food in eskies is keeping it dry. We found some large snap lock bags solved this problem. Just put the food inside it's packaging inside the snap lock bags and it stays nice and dry.
If using an air mattress on the ground, simply put a blanket underneath it to stop the cold from coming up.
Also for the tent, invest in a few different size tent pegs. You never know what sort of soil/surface you might encounter.

I've camped up at Bathurst a couple of times (and going again this year!) and you need bigger tent pegs to break through the rocky top layer. Our tent survived 90km/h wind gusts one year. We had no problems. Was funny watching everyone else struggling with their camp setups though.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 15-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #138
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This was our setup for Bathurst. You have to fit it all on an 8x8m plot.
That tarp was a good $2 investment. It absolutely bucketed down that year (2011) so the three of us were huddled under that shelter whilst it absolutely bucketed down.

Those round BBQ's don't pack down too well, so unless you have heaps of room to transport them, I wouldn't recommend using them. Our eskies were inside the front of the tent to keep them out of the sun. (When it was sunny!)

This year, we'll be glamping with taking a mate's camper trailer, so we'll be able to fit a lot of useless gear in there!

For power, I've got one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50000mAh-...item235236d3c1
Picked it up for $18. Should get about 3 phone charges out of it so hopefully that might last the trip. Also planning on taking my old Nokia N95 that lasts a week for general use. Will swap to my smartphone when I need internet to talk to the family back home at night.
Old 18-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #139
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Just preordered a new swag today

Can't wait to get out and use it when it gets here. Time to get the guns or bow out and head out on a hunting trip.

$349, preorder price $199 delivered.

Will report how good it is when it gets here:

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/adv...uble-swag.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
From all reports i have read they are a very good swag. I'm considering selling our very expensive Darche swag for one of these and then pocketing the change.

I love our Darche swag as we can still just roll it out and use it as a normal swag but in the winter i think it will be nice to have the extra room inside. When you get up and it's -10 outside it would be nice to not struggle to get changed. Let me know how you find it
I camped in my swag for the past week (Sunday to Sunday), one night was -2 degrees and it was fine inside the swag, (I do have a quality Doona I use for camping)

Was very spacious and comfortable, the mattress could have been a bit thicker or more dense, but was fine.

Plenty of space inside for gear, and cloths, if you don't store gear it would be a true two person swag.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 18-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #140
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I camped in my swag for the past week (Sunday to Sunday), one night was -2 degrees and it was fine inside the swag, (I do have a quality Doona I use for camping)

Was very spacious and comfortable, the mattress could have been a bit thicker or more dense, but was fine.

Plenty of space inside for gear, and cloths, if you don't store gear it would be a true two person swag.
Awesome mate, thanks for keeping me posted
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #141
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Good to have an update on how the swag went XB. I know what you mean about the high density foam mattresses included with most swags, some of them are just a tad too thin but a self-inflating mat is a good remedy anyway - albeit a bit pricey for a decent one.

I'm actually planning on rolling out my Oz-trail king single dome swag sometime this week, maybe next week at worst. This will be the first real test for the Oz-trail swag because I've only set it up at home so far. I don't know when I'll get to field test the Darche double though, I still haven't had the chance to get away thus far. The camp sites I'm planning on going to are accessible by foot only and I don't feel like carrying the heavier double swag, especially considering I am forever alone anyway

Happy camping.
Old 18-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #142
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My swag is definitely not a walk in swag ie a swag used to hike with etc ??

I think a ute or a 4x4 with roof racks or trailer are more appropriate it's quite large.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 18-07-2016, 10:22 PM   #143
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

If I was planning on backpacking everywhere and doing the hike-in thing all the time, there's no way I would have bought a canvas tent at all but I can handle it for the occasional walking trip. The Oz-trail "only weighs" about 8kg without mattress and 14kg or something like that with the mattress included whereas the Darche is almost 20kg with mattress (and it's much wider). Neither one is particularly light but the Oz-trail shouldn't bother me too much. Time will tell.

I figure I pay a gym membership so that I can lift heavy and carry stuff, so whats the difference right?
Old 26-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #144
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Well boys, I finally. Finally. FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY!!! Got my time off work planned next week. I have spent a lot of time planning a nice coastal backpacking trip which will give me the opportunity to properly try out a lot of equipment I have purchased over the last few months. I will provide a detailed report for anyone interested and hopefully I will get some decent photos.

I've got so many different things to trial so it should be interesting to see what fails and what prevails. It will be even more interesting because none of this equipment was cheap, so if anything lets go in this relatively short trip (7 days) it will be a clear sign that it wasn't made to last. When I say I'm trying new equipment I mean that I essentially bought an entire new kit over the last 3 months, so everything from rucksack to solar panel/battery charger will be challenged.

I've been filling in for my soon-to-be-ex boss until he finishes his probation at a new job and basically lets this company go. It has been stressful times for me for other reasons and filling a role I'm not really trained for has made for some very anxious days at work. At least I got a raise though. I'm looking forward to letting go for a while and getting back to nature.
Old 30-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #145
prydey
Rob

bought one of these today
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JUMP-YOU-...-/121437122803

caravan and camping show here in adelaide. i went along, but it was mostly caravans and campertrailers and not much in the way of camping (bush camping).

i was on the lookout for ideas of what options there were for power, keeping in mind i only really need enough to keep a few phones charged for 3-4 days. i had been looking at the small solar setups but came across a site selling these things. not sure if i've been sucked in or not, but it seemed like a good little compact unit that should do the job nicely.
Old 30-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #146
nstg8a

Quote:
bought one of these today
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JUMP-YOU-...-/121437122803

caravan and camping show here in adelaide. i went along, but it was mostly caravans and campertrailers and not much in the way of camping (bush camping).

i was on the lookout for ideas of what options there were for power, keeping in mind i only really need enough to keep a few phones charged for 3-4 days. i had been looking at the small solar setups but came across a site selling these things. not sure if i've been sucked in or not, but it seemed like a good little compact unit that should do the job nicely.
I have the exact same unit, but mine was bought through a local seller. As an experiment we started a car with a flat battery 50 times before we gave up haha. They're a good wee unit.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #147
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
I have the exact same unit, but mine was bought through a local seller. As an experiment we started a car with a flat battery 50 times before we gave up haha. They're a good wee unit.
wow, good to know. i bought mine at the show. just used the ebay link to show what it was i bought.

caravan and camping show wasn't that great for what we were interested in (bush camping in tents) but some of the stuff there was better than my house. actually, scratch that, MOST of the vans there were better than my house!

just for kicks had a look in a $200k+ motorhome thing. thats just not camping now is it!

the downside for my wallet is, the mrs was already keen on upgrading to a camper trailer at some point in the future, and this was an opportunity to have a look at some in the flesh. long story short, i think i might be starting to like the idea myself as well. saw some pretty decent setups at pretty good prices, around $7500 incl on roads. its a lot of coin but a lot easier to set up and much better for shorter stops. with out tent, i feel i need to stay at least 3-4 nights to make it worth it.
Old 31-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #148
Trevor 57
is now there

went camping last weekend, left Thursday night for he Buckland Valley, my sons, my son in law and 3 others go motorbike riding, while me and a mate keep the fire going

we had about 75mm of rain on Friday, made the camp site interesting

This is a photo of the last trip they did about a month ago, I couldn't make it, this was at Lake Cobbler, they slept on swags, 4 in the hut, the rest under a light awning on the snow, apparently it didn't get above -3 the whole weekend

Old 31-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #149
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
On a more positive note, my new Darche traditional double swag arrived today. I haven't rolled it out yet but already I can tell it is great quality. I will take pics when I roll it out for anyone interested.
my Darche swag is one of the last Aussie (Shepparton) made swags before they started making them in China,, they are good quality, but I reckon the Aussie ones are better - sorry
Old 31-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #150
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
wow, good to know. i bought mine at the show. just used the ebay link to show what it was i bought.

caravan and camping show wasn't that great for what we were interested in (bush camping in tents) but some of the stuff there was better than my house. actually, scratch that, MOST of the vans there were better than my house!

just for kicks had a look in a $200k+ motorhome thing. thats just not camping now is it!

the downside for my wallet is, the mrs was already keen on upgrading to a camper trailer at some point in the future, and this was an opportunity to have a look at some in the flesh. long story short, i think i might be starting to like the idea myself as well. saw some pretty decent setups at pretty good prices, around $7500 incl on roads. its a lot of coin but a lot easier to set up and much better for shorter stops. with out tent, i feel i need to stay at least 3-4 nights to make it worth it.
My missus and I have been together for 41 years this year, we started out in a small canvas 2 man tent, moved to bigger tents when the 4 kids arrived (below is a pic of the Maverick on the way home from a Central Aus trip in the early 90's) 4 kids and all the gear (no trailer)

The last tent we had (one of our sons now has it) was a Southern Cross Minute Tents big brother, bloody great tent, we then moved onto a Southern Cross camper trailer, it was good to get into the bush, but the novely of folding up a wet tent onto the bedding wore off after about 6 years, so we bought an A'Van Cruiseliner, had it for 7 years, sold it earlier this year and we are now waiting for a horribly expensive Goldstram 'Off Road' pop top, 17' 6" with ensuite to arrive