Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #271
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Countdown to new LPG I6

The problem with the manufacturer has been confirmed:

http://www.mcgrathnicol.com/news/Doc...0Pty%20Ltd.pdf

...but this may or may not affect the Ford contract.

Let's hope things work out. FoA is already late to the game when it comes to LPG technology and any further setbacks would be disastrous.
Old 31-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #272
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByCNG

Let's hope things work out. FoA is already late to the game when it comes to LPG technology and any further setbacks would be disastrous.
Quote:
“In the meantime AFI and APA will continue trading and we look forward to continued support from employees, customers and suppliers.” Mr Crawford said
It would seem that the company in question still remains a trading entity (despite now being in receivership) so here's hoping it stays that way. As you were, gentlemen.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #273
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:

Well they were the undisputed leader in LPG at the time. And they will be again.

Besides:
Quote:
“In the meantime AFI and APA will continue trading and we look forward to continued support from
employees, customers and suppliers.” Mr Crawford said
So they will keep manufacturing and Ford will keep getting the parts. And...

Quote:
Keith Crawford said “Our objective is to work constructively with stakeholders to stabilise and prepare the
business for sale.”
Harder to sell a business that isn't operating.
Old 31-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #274
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Always look for a silver lining.

Should this business be obtainable for the right price, Ford could snap it up and incorporate it into their PD portfolio. This could in turn provide Ford with an unrivalled R&D and manufacturing function for LPG cars - for cars retailed worldwide.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 31-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #275
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior

Should this business be obtainable for the right price, Ford could snap it up and incorporate it into their PD portfolio. This could in turn provide Ford with an unrivalled R&D and manufacturing function for LPG cars - for cars retailed worldwide.
I like the sound of that.
Old 31-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #276
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

They contradict themselves a bit, if they are continuing to trade, why they no longer forum sponsors and why are they refusing to do the installs they have booked in.
Possibly the receivers have no idea, hopefully it turns out good in the end and could be a good opotunity for somebody with some money behind them.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #277
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior

This company was only recently granted $3.5 million from the green car fund.

We can only assume/ hope that it hadnt yet got the money, but you do have to think that if a company was about to receive that sort of money from the government, then the lenders would not have called in the receivers so quickly. Obviously things are far worse than simply trying to trade out of the problem.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #278
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
This company was only recently granted $3.5 million from the green car fund.

We can only assume/ hope that it hadnt yet got the money, but you do have to think that if a company was about to receive that sort of money from the government, then the lenders would not have called in the receivers so quickly. Obviously things are far worse than simply trying to trade out of the problem.
We don't know how long this lender had been negotiating with the owners of APA before they called in receivers. If it was really bad, they would have shuttered the place and proceeded with an asset liquidation.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #279
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
They contradict themselves a bit, if they are continuing to trade, why they no longer forum sponsors and why are they refusing to do the installs they have booked in.
Possibly the receivers have no idea, hopefully it turns out good in the end and could be a good opportunity for somebody with some money behind them.
Could be contractual obligations that would be easier to continue with certain organisations. We will see what comes in the next couple of months.

I wonder how long till the news start their next doom and gloom story.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #280
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Could be contractual obligations that would be easier to continue with certain organisations. We will see what comes in the next couple of months.

I wonder how long till the news start their next doom and gloom story.
Nay... the next forum member.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #281
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The lengthy process of developing new OEM technology has no doubt taken a toll on
their cash reserves, this is probably why they sought the safety of receivership,
to stop them being wound up by creditors.....

Let's not lose sight of the fact that receivership allows the company to keep trading
and that their cash flow problems may be short lived once Ford launches the EcoLPI.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #282
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The lengthy process of developing new OEM technology has no doubt taken a toll on
their cash reserves, this is probably why they sought the safety of receivership,
to stop them being wound up by creditors.....

Let's not lose sight of the fact that receivership allows the company to keep trading
and that their cash flow problems may be short lived once Ford launches the EcoLPI.
Ford may have even recommended this to them... and used the parts contract as a way of keeping them alive until they need to meet demand.

That contract will go a long way for any investor brave enough to save them... or until/if these receivers sort out the books.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:22 AM   #283
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a keen observer not involved with the politics and legal issues that these manufacturers and distributors are facing, I hope that these issues are resolved quickly and in a manner that provides the greatest benefits for the consumer. I would hate to see the AFI Liquajet system go to waste after only a short time on the market. Competition can only be good for the consumer.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #284
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All I can say is - mmmm....BBQ XR6

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 01:36 AM   #285
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
As a keen observer not involved with the politics and legal issues that these manufacturers and distributors are facing, I hope that these issues are resolved quickly and in a manner that provides the greatest benefits for the consumer. I would hate to see the AFI Liquajet system go to waste after only a short time on the market. Competition can only be good for the consumer.
Are they supplying Ford and Holden with technology albeit different to each other?
If so I could see those long term contracts being the reason for a positive outlook.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #286
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AFI/APA only supplies the fuel storage cylinders (and Liquid Injection pumps, if applicable) to Ford and Holden. Holden uses IMPCO-BRC LPG systems whereas Ford uses Vialle/Orbital LPG systems. Note that HSV's LPI offerings use 100% Orbital equipment including LPG system and gas cylinders.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #287
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This story is bound to find it's way on to the front page of DRIVel. Very few good news stories from FORD get published by them. If FORD are only supplied tanks and pumps by API then thats the only sector of the company they will be interested in as the technology is coming from somewhere else.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #288
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
AFI/APA only supplies the fuel storage cylinders (and Liquid Injection pumps, if applicable) to Ford and Holden. Holden uses IMPCO-BRC LPG systems whereas Ford uses Vialle/Orbital LPG systems. Note that HSV's LPI offerings use 100% Orbital equipment including LPG system and gas cylinders.
Yeah but they aren't liquid injection.

I also noticed on Orbitals website that they are involved in Hydrogen combustion. Ford collaborated with the university of Melbourne a while back to burn hydrogen on the straight-six.

Imagine what it could do for Ford if FoA got that viable?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM   #289
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
I also noticed on Orbitals website that they are involved in Hydrogen combustion. Ford collaborated with the university of Melbourne a while back to burn hydrogen on the straight-six.

Imagine what it could do for Ford if FoA got that viable?
storage is an issue, and you need a lot of it to go not very far.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #290
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Orbital aren't without their own financial issues either. They need some serious injection of working capital, particularly if LiLPG takes off and demand for product from them is required.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #291
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
Orbital aren't without their own financial issues either. They need some serious injection of working capital, particularly if LiLPG takes off and demand for product from them is required.
I hope so. It's good to have such a company in WA providing this kind of know how to local industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
storage is an issue, and you need a lot of it to go not very far.
Yeah. 5000 PSI Carbon Fibre tanks are a bit expensive I'd imagine. probably about as much as an entire duel fuel option without the other parts or labour.

But Could FoA do a duel fuel LPi/Hydrogen concept. That'd be pretty sweet.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #292
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah but they aren't liquid injection.
?????
Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #293
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
?????
The HSV's.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #294
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The HSV's.
Not correct. The HSVs are LPI.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #295
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Not correct. The HSVs are LPI.
Nahh.... serious? Link?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #296
falcondave69
Liquajet Powered BA XR6

Quote:
Nahh.... serious? Link?
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=63646 - Cached
falcondave69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #297
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondave69
Well I'll be. they still can't pull off a start and stop LPG system like Ford though.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #298
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

This isn't the first time APA has gone into administration
I remember all the hubbub when it first went down:
http://www.abc.net.au/business/mnb/content/s957653.htm
Old 04-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #299
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Well. This is the link for the EcoLPi press release thread.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11327398

To be launched Mid 2011 with 27% more power and 10% more torque.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post